• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read book one of Y the Last Man a couple of weeks ago. The book is really good. At first I thought I had finished the whole thing when I asked my librarian, but just yesterday I saw a Youtube video of someone's favorite black characters in comics and they showed a couple of panels that definitely weren't in my edition of the book. I hate when Oedipus's give me the wrong information.

Is there a collection out there that has the entire story put in one book like with Watchmen?

Messi

Read book one of Y the Last Man a couple of weeks ago. The book is really good. At first I thought I had finished the whole thing when I asked my librarian, but just yesterday I saw a Youtube video of someone's favorite black characters in comics and they showed a couple of panels that definitely weren't in my edition of the book. I hate when Oedipus's give me the wrong information.

Is there a collection out there that has the entire story put in one book like with Watchmen?

Its 10 books lol. Yes its really good.

Zeb Wells' New Mutants is a hidden gem, as is Abnett/Lanning's takeover of the series.

That first Carey X-Men story "Supernovas" is really good and standalone. Legacy is good, but its pretty continuity-heavy and a bit inconsistent, so IDK about that one.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is a popular recommendation, its collected in a few TPBs. Check out the first story see if you dig it.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated.

More random digital stuff: the first 4 issues of Stray Bullets are free on Comixology. I read these a lifetime ago and have fond memories of them.

In other news, I finally got my wife to read Saga and she was blown away too. I don't know what non-Vertigo stuff I'll get her to read next, probably Essex County or Locke and Key.

Get the Hardbacks, they are beautiful and worth the cash.

I agree. That's what I have, and it's really series worth owning. Sooooo goooood.

So I started reading Umbral #1, and it's quite good. Image wins again. I'm seriously thinking about trade-waiting all the overpriced Marvel and DC stuff.

Vertigo is still fine. They have some good books I'd need day one.

Veelk

Banned
So I just finished reading Azzarello's entire Wonder Woman run so far, up to issue 26. What does everyone think of it?

I like it. It doesn't measure up to Rucka's run for me, but he definitely has the important aspects of WW's character down. I just wonder where he's actually going with it all. What does WW being the God of War actually mean for the character? And what is Apollo's real goal, besides just taking power from Zeus? Stuff like that is difficult to tell, because the character allegiances are very fluid, changing rather fast. Hera went from being insane to an ally pretty fast, War teetered in the middle for no discernible reason, Hermes is now returning to being an ally, even strife seems to be carrying over...It's an exemplary trait of WW that she can bring peace between even the hardest of enemies, but it makes me wonder if the series isn't just going to end with Apollo and the rest of the olympians singing kumbaya together. Maybe not, but it's just hard to see where this is all going, is all I'm saying. Good series overall and pretty nice art. I love Poseidon's changing design in particular. I also wonder if other WW enemies are going to show up. It's like a whole new rogues gallery, since War is dead, and Circe, Cheetah, and Dr. Psycho aren't anywhere to be seen.

Messi

So I just finished reading Azzarello's entire Wonder Woman run so far, up to issue 26. What does everyone think of it?

I like it. It doesn't measure up to Rucka's run for me, but he definitely has the important aspects of WW's character down. I just wonder where he's actually going with it all. What does WW being the God of War actually mean for the character? And what is Apollo's real goal, besides just taking power from Zeus? Stuff like that is difficult to tell, because the character allegiances are very fluid, changing rather fast. Hera went from being insane to an ally pretty fast, War teetered in the middle for no discernible reason, Hermes is now returning to being an ally, even strife seems to be carrying over...It's an exemplary trait of WW that she can bring peace between even the hardest of enemies, but it makes me wonder if the series isn't just going to end with Apollo and the rest of the olympians singing kumbaya together. Maybe not, but it's just hard to see where this is all going, is all I'm saying. Good series overall and pretty nice art. I love Poseidon's changing design in particular. I also wonder if other WW enemies are going to show up. It's like a whole new rogues gallery, since War is dead, and Circe, Cheetah, and Dr. Psycho aren't anywhere to be seen.

I really like it but don't have much more to add.

Alot of aspects of Azzarello's run of Orion strike as something that you'd see in the DC Animated Universe; It's like we're getting a bunch of Wonder Woman centric episodes one after another from the Justice League cartoon.

Overall, I like it. I wish it tied into the rest of the DCU a little more, not a ton, but the occasional nods would be nice. And it'd also be nice to see her play outside the realm of the Olympian Gods; I want to see what other kind of stories Azarello can tell.

I like that Wonder Woman is disconnected from the DCU at large.
Yeah, people often mention Remender's stuff for Marvel but this goes further and goes to show how continuity doesn't necessarily matter as long as you have a good story to tell.

I like how the book has a very distinct identity that is kind of a mix between Kirby and Sandman (not strictly obviously).

Earth 2 also had that special something to a lesser extent before it turned into Ultimate Injustice.

If you are enjoying Wonder Woman you should also be reading Superman/Wonder Woman. The book has been a delight so far. It acknowledges the continuity from Azarello's Wonder Woman and expands upon it.

Earth 2 also had that special something to a lesser extent before it turned into Ultimate Injustice.

??? The last issue that James Robinson wrote is the one that introduced "Son of Darkseid" Superman. Tom Taylor had to work with what he was given. Assuming that is what you are talking about. I disagree though, I think the book is still fantastic with several nods towards the continuity hinted at in Batman/Superman #1-4, specifically
Darkseid's interest in Supermen.

Whoooo! We're finally getting new Umbrella Academy in 2014.

It's about time.

I never lost faith

Half-Life 3 is just around the corner

image.php

sol_bad

can someone put this in chronological order for me? because i seriously doubt characters like wolverine, rogue, and storm are either at multiple places at once, or are busy going back and forth between places… it's incredibly inefficient.

Don't freak out about it too much.
There is this website that has the entire Marvel Universe reading order so it will put EVERYTHING into a chronological order. They/he are/is only up to the early 90's but eventually he'll get to 2013. lol

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php?page=242&list_type=2&limit=40

*EDIT*
Can anyone list the books that Marvel are discontinuing and the new titles that are starting for Marvel All New Now?
I was keeping track but I slowly lost track.
Thanks in advance.

KidDork

I think Earth 2 will still be a special book. It reminds me quite a bit of Warren Ellis' Authority in terms of tone. Taylor has the narrative pedal to the floor right now.

Owzers

not really liking those character designs though.

If you haven't read Umbrella Academy...do so. It is the parallel to Nextwave for me. It's just as fun, but it trades up whacky bizarreness for world building bizarreness.

14482.jpg

How does one look at that and say " no thank you?"

Can someone explain to me what Umbrella Academy is and why everyone is shitting their pants about it so far?

It's about a group of orphans with special abilities who are taken in by a rich guy and trained to fight crime. It's about what it sounds like, only weirder. And the abilities in question aren't the types of superpowers you would expect. Give it a try, you'll dig it. Personally, I enjoyed the first volume more, but there's still a good bit of character development in the second story arc.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's soooooo easy after reading Killjoys.

If you read the two back-to-back with no knowledge of the writer, you would never be able to tell that the same dude wrote both. He channeled his inner Grant Morrison for UA and his inner Scott Lobdell for Killjoys.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I never read Umbrella Academy: Dallas. I suppose I should buy both volumes, reread the first and get to the second.

-----

Image's Eric Stephenson: "We have more announcements in store for 2014 than we did in 2012 and 2013 combined, and it's going to be really fun rolling this all out."

Holy shit.

Just about 2 weeks to go until Image has their big expo with a bunch of announcements.

*EDIT*
Can anyone list the books that Marvel are discontinuing and the new titles that are starting for Marvel All New Now?
I was keeping track but I slowly lost track.
Thanks in advance.
These are the new titles for 2014 so far:

January 2014
All-New Invaders by Robinson/Pugh (new series)
All-New X-Factor by David/Giandomenico (relaunch)
Avengers World by Hickman/Spencer/Caselli (new series)
Black Widow by Edmondson/Noto (new series)

February 2014
Fantastic Four by Robinson/Kirk (relaunch)
Loki Agent of Asgard by Ewing/Garbett (new series)
Ms. Marvel by Wilson/Alphona (new series)
New Warriors by Yost/To (new series)
Punisher by Edmondson/Gerads (new series)
She-Hulk by Soule/Pulido (new series)
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March (mini) by Remender/Boschi (new series)
Wolverine by Cornell/Stegman (relaunch)
X-Force by Spurrier/Kim (relaunch/merger of Cable and X-Force, Uncanny X-Force)

March 2014
All-New Ghost Rider by Smith/Moore (new series)
Avengers Undercover by Hopeless/Walker (relaunch/sequel to Avengers Arena)
Captain Marvel by Deconnick/Lopez (relaunch)
Daredevil by Waid/Samnee (relaunch)
Iron Patriot by Kot/Brown (new series)
Magneto by Bunn/Walta (new series)
Moon Knight by Ellis/Shalvey (new series)
Secret Avengers by Kot/Walsh (relaunch)
Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred (new series)
Wolverine and the X-Men by Latour/Asrar (relaunch)

Wait, what? Loki Agent of Asgard?
Yep.
LOKIAOA2014001_cov.jpg

LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #1
AL EWING (W) • LEE GARBETT (A)
Cover by JENNY FRISON
Variant cover by Frank Cho
Sketch Variant by Frank Cho
Animal Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Old God - New Trickster!

Kid Loki's all grown up - and the God of Mischief is stronger, smarter, sexier and just plain sneakier than ever before. As Asgardia's one-man secret service, he's ready to lie, cheat, steal, bluff and snog his way through the twistiest, turniest and most treacherous missions the All-Mother can throw at him... starting with a heart-stopping heist on Avengers Tower - and the death of Thor! And that's just the beginning!

Would we lie to you? This is LOKI, true believer - we're lying to you RIGHT NOW!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

arkon

I never read Umbrella Academy: Dallas. I suppose I should buy both volumes, reread the first and get to the second.

-----

Image's Eric Stephenson: "We have more announcements in store for 2014 than we did in 2012 and 2013 combined, and it's going to be really fun rolling this all out."

Holy shit.

Just about 2 weeks to go until Image has their big expo with a bunch of announcements.

Good god. I'm going to need a second job.

Vyer

I've don't know anything about Killjoys but Umbrella Academy is fucking ace. From the sound of it I think I'll keep it that way.

Also, I'm in deep with Scalped. Glad I finally took the time to read it. About 5 trades in.

By Odin's beard, Al Ewing and Loki is a match made in the heavens! Don't sleep on this, corporate comic buyers!

Also, I'm in deep with Scalped. Glad I finally took the time to read it. About 5 trades in.

I NEED too read this series. I need to need to read it. I still think sometimes about volume 1, which I read a few months back.

vocab

Looks like ill be buying more image stuff in the future. I only have saga and just ordered east of west. I'm pretty picky, but its hard when a lot of them sound good.

Vyer

By Odin's beard, Al Ewing and Loki is a match made in the heavens! Don't sleep on this, corporate comic buyers!

I NEED too read this series. I need to need to read it. I still think sometimes about volume 1, which I read a few months back.

I struggled with the art for an issue or two, but the story hooked me in good and I'm all in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom