• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like
Sinestro
returns in JL #26 tomorrow.

h448DA3C6

Thank you for the reply.
I don't get the "relaunch" since Waid is still writing it.

There is definitely a lot of new stuff in there that interests me.

Unless there is a major twist at the end of their current run that makes a relaunch have a different direction, it seems kind of stupid to me.

tim1138

Usually the night before comics I'll search Twitter for titles coming out the next day. Shop owners, employees and people in the know usually get them the night before. Read a few post where someone was mentioning it. Bombs apparently dropped in FE#4.

Excellent. Johns had mentioned in an interview how much fun he had writing
Sinestro
and
Black Adam
together.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this back at the beginning of the year, but for our 5th anniversary this year, my wife got me two original inked pages from Tyler Kirkham's run on Green Lantern New Guardians. I don't believe I ever posted a photo of them, so here's a crappy cell phone picture of them on my wall:

zeeaykay

Anyone picking up Avengers or Wolverine Origin II today? I haven't read any of the previous issues for those books but might pick them up to get my fix for the week and give me something to do over lunch.

ElNarez

Banned
Avengers #24 is pretty much "THIS IS ACT TWO OF MY AVENGERS MEGA-STORY YOU GUYS", but it's got all the character bits we didn't get once the Avengers fought in space. Shit is in the process of getting real, real meaning here "That shit from New Avengers is coming back and it's gonna bite some asses". Do pick, you silly goose, of course, but maybe read all of Hickman's Avengers and Infinity first for full effect.

Origin II #1 is Pretty Deadly but with more testosterone and the courtesy of directly cutting to the chase. It's got WOLVERINE FIGHTING A BEAR which is a pretty good thing for a funnybook to have.

ElNarez

Banned
Was it good?

Do you like stories where
a robot is like BEEP BOOP WHAT ARE FEELING HOW DO HUMAN FEEL I WILL OBSERVE THE HUMAN NOW?
Do you enjoy Geoff Johns
making up grotesquely morbid origin stories for the Crime Syndicate?
because boy oh boy is it the book for you then.

Owzers

DCBS shipment....not coming until thursday Xo.

Multiple Warheads: Alphabet to Infinity #1 of 4: I'm reminded of FLCL when reading this book, everything is whacky and there is a food obsession. My only gripe is that I didn't get a real sense of the plot.

arkon

Thank you for the reply.
I don't get the "relaunch" since Waid is still writing it.

There is definitely a lot of new stuff in there that interests me.

Unless there is a major twist at the end of their current run that makes a relaunch have a different direction, it seems kind of stupid to me.

Gives them an excuse to launch with a new #1 issue and provides a jumping on point for new readers. Not to mention sneak in a price hike to 3.99

Also we already know from interviews and stuff that Matt's moving out to San Francisco. So there are changes happening.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
DCBS shipment....not coming until thursday Xo.

Multiple Warheads: Alphabet to Infinity #1 of 4: I'm reminded of FLCL when reading this book, everything is whacky and there is a food obsession. My only gripe is that I didn't get a real sense of the plot.

Sounds like a Brandon Graham joint. I can't tell you the specific plots of any of his books but I can tell you that I love his art and writing.

Vyer

What was so amazing about it? (Spoil it for me)

The spoiler mentioned above was well done (and was done in relation to
Batman going to his 'JLA contingency plan' to try and counter the Crime Syndicate
. Also developed the new Bizzaro-Luthor relationship in a cool moment
involving Luthor having to talk 'The Creature' out of a fear of the dark, which leads to the first time it speaks
. And it expands on Power Ring as he leads a team of villains against Luthor's Injustice Gang. I like the twisted origins/personalities of all the Crime Syndicate but for some reason I find Power Ring Jordan's juxtaposition from normal Green Lantern really interesting.

JLA was also enjoyable for that same reason, giving the origin of Power Ring and showing
a disfigured, corrupted Abin Sur
and revealing that his ring
apparently has to reach into another dimension and interact with some sort of creature
to charge. I just found them both very fun reads.

My copy of the Bryan Q. Miller/Marcio Takara Kickstarter book Earthward came in today. BQM wrote basically the best Batgirl series so this should be at least pretty good

KidDork

Finally managed to track down a few issues of Rat Queens. I can understand the love. It reminds me quite a bit of Jim Zub's Pathfinder but with more liberal use of the word 'fuck'.

Messi

Finally managed to track down a few issues of Rat Queens. I can understand the love. It reminds me quite a bit of Jim Zub's Pathfinder but with more liberal use of the word 'fuck'.

Fuck yeah!

I love Rat Queens. Only picked it up because a few people here were raving about it pre release.

JLA was also enjoyable for that same reason, giving the origin of Power Ring and showing
a disfigured, corrupted Abin Sur
and revealing that his ring
apparently has to reach into another dimension and interact with some sort of creature
to charge. I just found them both very fun reads.
There was also the connection between Power Ring and
Volthoom the First Lantern, referencing Morrisson's Crime Syndicate and John's last GL arc.
I hope they delve into that sooner or later before Forever Evil ends.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get it. What just happened in Avengers 24?

Shit just got super real is what.

Basically
someone from the future tried to destroy the Earth with a planet sized bullet, instead of letting the Avengers destroy it Tony's granddaughter went back in time, with Franklin's blessing (god I love Future Franklin) and turned it into a weapon for the Illuminati to use in their fight against the incursions. Also the Illuminati are about to get found out and it sounds like everyone's gonna be pissed at them.

So, shit just got super real and it's only going to get REALER.

sol_bad

Gives them an excuse to launch with a new #1 issue and provides a jumping on point for new readers. Not to mention sneak in a price hike to 3.99

Also we already know from interviews and stuff that Matt's moving out to San Francisco. So there are changes happening.

I'll keep reading the shit out of Daredevil.
I just can't imagine an issue 1 will make anyone want to jump on.
I started reading when it was at about issue 12 and bought it in singles. I had a few problems buying a few issues but in general it was pretty easy to find the majority of them. Now that there are collections it would be even easier to jump on from the start of the current series.

It's my personal experience that number ones have a powerful psychological effect. It's way easier to jump on board that way. I think a yearly / season style system that has both that years numbering plus total numbering is the best compromise.

Avengers 24.NOW as great. Massive issue that sets up year 2 of the two core Avengers Books and offers nice charactermoments and gives the characters time to breath.

Forever Evil #4 was great but i hate the slow shipping of the event. Urgh. Infinity started after Trinity War and ended weeks ago and we are now just reaching the second half of Forever Evil? And most of the DCU is still im hybernation as nothing can really happen before Forever Evil finishes and phase 2 of the N52 starts... BUT why does Johns write such a great Luthor and Batman/Catwoman dynamic? I so hope that Lex is in charge of the US or at least ARGUS after this storyline!

Does JL26 contain a massive continunity mistake?

And I don't talk about the JL25 ones like the contradiction in
regard to Plasticman and most likely the Bertinellis, as well as the 30 year reference to the murderer of the Waynes, which could be possible as it is an alternate universe and the ages of the characters do not need to match up

We know that the CS ruled their world. And that 5 years ago the Outsider came to Prime Earth after it was destroyed in a war against Darkseid. We know that Ultra Man is 25 currently, despite looking way older. And now we get to the JL26 information.
Each and every origin of the CS takes place 5 years ago? How does this match? Did Ultraman and Owlman rule their world without the rest of the CS or was their another CS before the current one? Did Darkseid kill another version of the CS and the current Powerring, Johnny Quick, Atomica and Death Storm were not members of the one that ruled E3? Does travel between dimensions break time? And while Outsider needed 5 years to set up Pandora and the Box time did not flow for the rest of the CS members?
I hate it when writers put specific information about years and the passage of time into books and it does not fit with anything. Especially when DC just tried to establish the N52 with a easy to follow timeline

iMerc

Just let it rock..... if you think about it to much you will just give yourself a headache, but in theory all those stories just take place literally one after another over a period of a few days/weeks/month spans. The more dramatic the change to the characters
(kitty leaving, rogue's death, etc)
the more current the event unless that event is mentioned in passing in another story as a way to time date it as being after said dramatic event.

So in theory right now the most current storylines goes as follow ANX and Wolverine are the furthest in the past, WATXM, Uncanny X Men, The All New X-Men, are in the middle with Uncanny Avengers being the most modern. This can and will change between storylines. This is based on the characters interaction in relation to the most recent dramatic events. In fact I've had a theory that Uncanny is the most current comic in the marvel U even ahead of everything else including infinity for a while now and the more things that happen in it the more I feel that theory is correct.

yeah, that's what i'm going to do… as much as possible just 'let it flow'.
i just find it hard to swallow that the 'x-men' series, for example, now has monet st.crois & karima actively 'on team', without even the slightest mention or acknowledgement as to why kitty & rogue aren't there anymore.
WaTX has barely even touched on the fact that logan doesn't have his healing factor anymore (if it was even acknowledged).

but alas, if the writers don't want to bother thinking about tie-ing these things up properly, then neither should i, i suppose. lol.

arkon

I'll keep reading the shit out of Daredevil.
I just can't imagine an issue 1 will make anyone want to jump on.
I started reading when it was at about issue 12 and bought it in singles. I had a few problems buying a few issues but in general it was pretty easy to find the majority of them. Now that there are collections it would be even easier to jump on from the start of the current series.

There's normally something of a sales spike when a series starts over at #1. Doesn't mean they're all going to stick with the title but I suppose the companies think that as long as people are picking it up they've got more of a chance to retain them as readers. It's why we have this All New Marvel Now stuff. Off the back of the success of Marvel Now and New 52 before it.

Owzers

there's too many new Marvel books in February.

getting: Ms. Marvel #1 and She Hulk #1

waiting for MU on Loki, New Warriors, Punisher, Winter Solder Bitter March mini, Wolverine, X-Force, Fantastic Four.

Then in March i'm adding Silver Surfer and Moon Knight, and reupping Daredevil.

Is Marvel releasing too many new books so quickly? It's not as bad as DC with 52 new ones, but if i weren't adding so many new books i might have added New Warriors or Loki too. Marvel Unlimited will save the day ( depending if updates are reliable....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom