• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Vic_Viper

To give a somewhat more elaborate answer on what I think of the current Marvel writers: Aaron, Duggan, Ewing, Wilson, Spencer, Pak, Slott(though many people have grown tired of him on ASM), Conway, Gillen and Bendis(who is putting out some good stuff at the moment) are probably the best vet writers atm. I don't know what to think of Waid right now, Soule is doing good work on Daredevil and his Star Wars stuff

Spencer is a Vet writter now? What has he done besides the 2 Cap books? Not really a big fan of his. I hope Secret Empire does well, but his Steve Rogers book seems like its got a really neat gimmick and thats all.

Waid's Black Widow is awesome and im reading his Daredevil run now which seems really good so far.

Bendis did an amazing job with his stint on the X books but doesnt seem to be doing anything of note atm aside from maybe his Iron Man book.

Ive got really high hopes for RessurXion.

Just got my Fraction Hawkeye Omnibus in the mail today! And I ordered East of West Year 2 (variant edition) and the Deluxe Velvet. Almost passed on Velvet since I own most of it digitally, but then I noticed it was the same size as the Deadly Class Deluxe.

VanWinkle

I'd like to take a moment to say how awesome it was to have Amanda Conner back doing interiors on Kamandi Challenge this week. Beautiful issue and my fave one so far.

Beautiful stuff indeed. Makes me sad she doesn't do it more often these days. I've been reading Power Girl, too, and it's super gorgeous as well.

Sandfox

Amanda Conner needs to write another volume of SuperZero.

Spencer is a Vet writter now? What has he done besides the 2 Cap books? Not really a big fan of his. I hope Secret Empire does well, but his Steve Rogers book seems like its got a really neat gimmick and thats all.

Waid's Black Widow is awesome and im reading his Daredevil run now which seems really good so far.

Bendis did an amazing job with his stint on the X books but doesnt seem to be doing anything of note atm aside from maybe his Iron Man book.

Ive got really high hopes for RessurXion.

Just got my Fraction Hawkeye Omnibus in the mail today! And I ordered East of West Year 2 (variant edition) and the Deluxe Velvet. Almost passed on Velvet since I own most of it digitally, but then I noticed it was the same size as the Deadly Class Deluxe.
He wrote Ant-Man, Secret Avengers, Avengers World, Superior Foes, and had an Ultimate X-Men run. Outside of Marvel he has The Fix. Dude has been with Marvel for a while now and is getting big titles. Not everyone is going to like it, but I feel his Cap stuff has all been well written.

Waid's work with Samnee has been good, but his recent solo stuff has gotten a more mixed reception for various reasons.

IMO Bendis is putting out good content for both of his Iron Man books, Jessica Jones, and Spider-Man to a lesser extent. I'm not a fan of his Guardians though. His upcoming Defenders book focuses on characters he has written really well with in the past, but it's a team book so we'll see where that goes.

caliph95

I do like this moment in classic Thunderbolts
bolts15.jpg

Malyse

It feels like everything is ending at Marvel. I really loved Black Widow. And of course all the X-Books are going through a shift.

Does anyone give a damn about the Monsters Unleashed ongoing? I enjoyed the event as dumb fun (and boy howdy was it dumb), but as a series... I love Elsa because of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E., but I don't think I'll be picking it up.

Also, I'm really loving Elektra way more than anticipated.

Sandfox

It feels like everything is ending at Marvel. I really loved Black Widow. And of course all the X-Books are going through a shift.

Does anyone give a damn about the Monsters Unleashed ongoing? I enjoyed the event as dumb fun (and boy howdy was it dumb), but as a series... I love Elsa because of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E., but I don't think I'll be picking it up.

Also, I'm really loving Elektra way more than anticipated.

I'm expecting Monsters Unleashed to get a single volume. Black Widow was always planned for 12 issues, but Marvel has too many titles right now and we're seeing them dump multiple books because of it.

Malyse

I'm expecting Monsters Unleashed to get a single volume. Black Widow was always planned for 12 issues, but Marvel has too many titles right now and we're seeing them dump multiple books because of it.

I thought the goal was to aim for like 12 -18 issues and then let the good stuff stay. That way everyone gets a turn.

I would kill for a Gail Simone written Emma Frost book. That is something that really needs to happen.

Sandfox

I thought the goal was to aim for like 12 -18 issues and then let the good stuff stay. That way everyone gets a turn.

I would kill for a Gail Simone written Emma Frost book. That is something that really needs to happen.

The plan likely depends on the book. Waid and Samnee probably have something else in the works.

Vic_Viper

Finished reading Inhumans Vs X-Men and it was alot better than Civil War 2 lol. Loved the art too. Think Yu has become one of my current favorites, right behind Immonen, Bachalo, and Opena.

5795185575942.jpg

Has Leinil Francis Yu done any longer runs recently I should check out, aside form his New Avengers stuff with Bendis (which was also fantastic)? Seems like they only use him for events like IvX and Secret Invasion.

Also when did Havok get half his face burned off lol? Was it Axis?

Dalek

If X-Men Prime was supposed to get me excited for X-Men again it failed. Dull plots, awful art. Sad times.

Joker Gas is a hell of a drug

LOL

Also I wanted to chime in and say I'm not really a fan of Soule. Nothing I've read of his ever really stuck with me as memorable.

Ross61

And Inhumans Prime was the opposite. I'm looking forward to the new run of Inhumans. Jonboy's art is oof though.

Yeah the colorist, Jim Charalampidis,was what really made the art shine for TT. He's doing the same for Khoi Pham now and it looks great.

Who do I have to suck off at Marvel for a new Fred Van Lente written Taskmaster mini

I know better at this point than to ask for an ongoing

What is the general consensus of writer Charles Soule? Hes writting everything it seems like at Marvel currently. Havent really read much of what hes done, that I know of, so far accept for Death of Wolverine and the first issue of IvX and it seemed ok. Read some of his DC stuff, but nothing that really captured my attention.

Is there anything hes done that is absolutely worth checking out that shows off his talent?

How was Letter 44? How is his Daredevil run now that hes alot further into it? I know at first people werent too happy with it.
Red Lanterns and Inhuman are both great. A lot of fun, ensemble superhero action. Uncanny Inhumans had a strong start, a solid second arc, and then it got kind of patchy due to events. All in all I thought it was still good, just got burned out. Can't think of anything else I've read of his. Death of X and Inhumans vs X-Men were co-written with Lemire, the former being not so great and the latter being surprisingly good.

I don't recall if he maybe wrote a Secret Wars book I may have read. His Swamp Thing and She Hulk runs both get solid praise, and while his Daredevil run caught fire early on, it's pretty heavily praised now.

Continue the Emma Frost solo with issue #19? Hell yeah.

Sandfox

So I just read Inhumans Prime and I liked it. It got me interested in Royals more than I already was. I feel like X-Men Prime should have just had one writer telling a 30 page story like this book did because the current setup didn't allow any of the writers to actually go into detail about their books.

Sandfox

The last issue of Spider-Woman was the perfect conclusion for that series. This is definitely a run I will be recommending to people for years to come. Now to what Hopeless can do with Jean Grey. He wrote a very good young Jean Grey in X-Men: Season One, which I imagine played into him getting the ongoing.

For the people that care, I mentioned a few weeks back that Marvel was going to be holding a retailer summit(there first event of this kind since the 90s).
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37118/marvel-retailer-summit

Basically Marvel told retailers to say whatever they felt needed to be said without holding back, were transparent about the issues going on, discussed the issues we commonly talk about online, and made presentations about future content that pleased retailers. We'll be getting in depth info over the next few days it seems.

I think KSD might have said something about there just being no way into the creative summits and wanting more writer's room type opportunities. That's why she bothered with the alien stuff at Dark Horse.
They also wanted her to stay as the Carol writer until after the movie was out and she had already done what she wanted to do in her first book and the sales were in the shitter(the "Carol Corps" clearly read it all illegally the day each issue was out). The relaunch of it was so aimless when in space.

mreddie

They also wanted her to stay as the Carol writer until after the movie was out and she had already done what she wanted to do in her first book and the sales were in the shitter(the "Carol Corps" clearly read it all illegally the day each issue was out). The relaunch of it was so aimless when in space.

Catering to the tumblr was a bad idea and still kinda is. We need sales from how far down the KSD era was.

So I actually like Lobdell's writing on X-Men. At least for these Phalanx issues. Seems like he's channeling Claremont, but a more popcorn version of Claremont, if that makes any sense. And here I was dreading this because "90's urgh," and this is actually pretty fun.

caliph95

The last issue of Spider-Woman was the perfect conclusion for that series. This is definitely a run I will be recommending to people for years to come. Now to what Hopeless can do with Jean Grey. He wrote a very good young Jean Grey in X-Men: Season One, which I imagine played into him getting the ongoing.

After Spider-Woman, there is hope for me for Jean Gray
So I actually like Lobdell's writing on X-Men. At least for these Phalanx issues. Seems like he's channeling Claremont, but a more popcorn version of Claremont, if that makes any sense. And here I was dreading this because "90's urgh," and this is actually pretty fun.
Good to know since a lot of people hate his Dc work particularly Teen titans and superboy though Red Hood has it fans.

After Spider-Woman, there is hope for me for Jean Gray

Good to know since a lot of people hate his Dc work particularly Teen titans and superboy though Red Hood has it fans.
I wasn't a fan of Red Hood and the Outlaws (New 52) and Red Hood and Arsenal. Found them very boring. I'm going to go back to the current RHatO run, but his X-Men stuff is pretty enjoyable.

caliph95

I wasn't a fan of Red Hood and the Outlaws (New 52) and Red Hood and Arsenal. Found them very boring. I'm going to go back to the current RHatO run, but his X-Men stuff is pretty enjoyable.
Good to know since i am eventually going to read classic 90's X-men when i ever i am done with Thunderbolts or another completed non-big two comic.

Because he doesn't goddamn plot.

Lobdell has been open about this.

Nrama: How do the "Death of the Family" issues tie into the story arc you've been building for these characters?

Lobdell: It doesn't! Not a page! Not a concept! Which is what I love most about it!

I've said in other interviews that I'm not a writer that likes to plan ahead. Because, really, there isn't a lot of planning ahead in life either — and if we want our characters to feel life-like, we have to be prepared for the curves that life throws at them.

He's said this repeatedly. He just flippin' writes whatever comes to him from issue to issue. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's crap. You never know what you're going to get. Superboy and Teen Titan Lobdell, or Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth Lobdell? It's a roll of the dice.

caliph95

He's said this repeatedly. He just flippin' writes whatever comes to him from issue to issue. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's crap. You never know what you're going to get. Superboy and Teen Titan Lobdell, or Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth Lobdell? It's a roll of the dice.
I think i get what Superman fans felt like for a while cause they hated the book. I've seen a review of the culling on youtube and that looked horrible

I was interested in GenX

Reading through Rebirth Red Hood, it seems he's learned to plot out his story. It shows.
I think i get what Superman fans felt like for a while cause they hated the book. I've seen a review of the culling on youtube and that looked horrible

I was interested in GenX
His Gen X is really good. Unfortunately the volumes are out of print and huge chunks of his run are missing from Comixology. I have the classic vol. 1 and 2 but Marvel didn't continue.

LOL. Savage, first thing in the morning too.

Top Bottom