• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Mindwipe

Eh, I get it. There are definitely complaints from the Transformers crowd about the same thing - that MTMTE/Lost Light has spent too much time pandering to it's Tumblr fanbase, with the slight problem (which has been at least hinted at as being true by James Roberts) that none of them buy anything and just pirate it.

ElNarez

Banned
What do you consider to be their mission statement? I'm curious because you don't really see too many fans talk about it.

1) The X-Men are weird, specifically, they're UNCANNY and/or EXTRAORDINARY. They are "the strangest superheroes of all!", as per their original tagline. Their stories have to be weird. Not like, Doom Patrol weird, but, still very weird. As an example: Doop. Doop is really fucking weird. He is the ultimate embodiment of comic book weirdness. Doop is a metatextual statement that says "this is a universe in which Doop can happen, so hold on". X-Men books are about, in part, how cool it is to be weird.

2) The X-Men are political. You consider their ethos, the time during which they were created, and who created them, and, the parallel to the civil rights struggle are there. Obviously there's way more to it than that, and you can't map the X-Men to any single minority group, but that doesn't mean the X-Men should be depoliticized. They are minority itself, they're anyone that's ever been discriminated against for any reason. They are about building a community around those shared experiences.

3) Corollary to that, the X-Men are part of culture. They aren't isolated from the world, they are a part of it, they're interacting with it, both in consuming it and in creating it. The world of the X-Men is one in which Jumbo Carnation from Morrison's New X-Men exists, and it is also one where Jubilee asks "Is it the shoes?", from Jim Lee's X-Men. It's true for the wider Marvel universe, but, lately, no line has seemed as isolated from the "real world" as the X-Men

4) Putting it all together, the X-Men are about us. Through metaphor and allegory, they're about our struggles to live in a society that hates, fears and discriminates. The Hellfire Club means something beyond "Chris Claremont got horny watching The Avengers (the tv show, not the comic)". So does Mojo, so does Magneto. It's true of all genre fiction, but of the X-Men especially. X-Men books need to speak to the human experience.

There's a bit more, but, those are things that I think of when I think of X-Men.

I'm glad Doom Patrol is still ongoing, I was excited about it before release, wasn't really impressed with the first issue, but then its definitelys won me back over time with its ideas and craziness. Though let it be noted he says nothing about delays in that Instagram reply, if anything he seems to be wording it to say we'll take as long as we take and delays are gonna happen.

Those DC rumours a bit back were pretty fun with how mad they were. I very much doubt a lot of its true though, it would be a very bold choice to do a year time skip this early into rebirth. Especially as the timeline and universes are going to get complicated enough as they add in old universe lore as part of the Watchmen story.

I tried my best to power through but I've given up on Iron Fist at episode 9, I thought it was bad pretty much from the beginning but was trying to make it through to see any set up for Defenders or for a series two with different writers. But in episode 9 when they started
on about using truth serum
, I accepted enough was enough and turned the crap off. I looked up the story for rest of the episodes and didn't sound like I missed much worth watching.

I tried my best to power through but I've given up on Iron Fist at episode 9, I thought it was bad pretty much from the beginning but was trying to make it through to see any set up for Defenders or for a series two with different writers. But in episode 9 when they started
on about using truth serum
, I accepted enough was enough and turned the crap off. I looked up the story for rest of the episodes and didn't sound like I missed much worth watching.

Haha I think if you made it 8 odd hours in and you're happy to walk away, that speaks volumes as to whether you should keep going or not. However, I will say,
I thought the truth serum thing was kind of hilarious. It doesn't work at all! She feds Danny some cock and bull story and right when he starts having a big pouty moment over it she starts laughing at him, and rubbing it in his face that of course it hasn't worked, what a stupid idea etc

1) The X-Men are weird, specifically, they're UNCANNY and/or EXTRAORDINARY. They are "the strangest superheroes of all!", as per their original tagline. Their stories have to be weird. Not like, Doom Patrol weird, but, still very weird. As an example: Doop. Doop is really fucking weird. He is the ultimate embodiment of comic book weirdness. Doop is a metatextual statement that says "this is a universe in which Doop can happen, so hold on". X-Men books are about, in part, how cool it is to be weird.

2) The X-Men are political. You consider their ethos, the time during which they were created, and who created them, and, the parallel to the civil rights struggle are there. Obviously there's way more to it than that, and you can't map the X-Men to any single minority group, but that doesn't mean the X-Men should be depoliticized. They are minority itself, they're anyone that's ever been discriminated against for any reason. They are about building a community around those shared experiences.

3) Corollary to that, the X-Men are part of culture. They aren't isolated from the world, they are a part of it, they're interacting with it, both in consuming it and in creating it. The world of the X-Men is one in which Jumbo Carnation from Morrison's New X-Men exists, and it is also one where Jubilee asks "Is it the shoes?", from Jim Lee's X-Men. It's true for the wider Marvel universe, but, lately, no line has seemed as isolated from the "real world" as the X-Men

4) Putting it all together, the X-Men are about us. Through metaphor and allegory, they're about our struggles to live in a society that hates, fears and discriminates. The Hellfire Club means something beyond "Chris Claremont got horny watching The Avengers (the tv show, not the comic)". So does Mojo, so does Magneto. It's true of all genre fiction, but of the X-Men especially. X-Men books need to speak to the human experience.

There's a bit more, but, those are things that I think of when I think of X-Men.

Yeah definitely I agree with everything here. I think two of the main things that have made x-men comics strong have been either as political/social commentary or as a relationship soap opera. Some of the best runs even combining the two.

They seem afraid to really tackle important issues in the xmen comics these days and if they do they try and copy issues from the 60,s/70,s and do them badly. It's a new world, with new issues and new politics, there's stories to tell if they were brave enough to do it. I mean could you imagine something like God Loves Man Kills being written in an x-men comic these days, no chance.

On the soap opera side a lot of the best x-men runs have that part. The Claremont stuff had plenty of it, then going into the 90,s you had Rogue & Gambit, New X-men had Scott/Emma/Jean/Logan and Whedons run had Peter/Kitty.

It looks like in the new series by going back to basics they might be going more into the soap style stuff, as its the easier choice to take out of the two, but whether they do it right or not we'll see.

Damn, light week. Think I actually finished everything in one night this week.

Spider-Woman

God damn you, I don't want this to end!

Besides the Spiderman in this book seeming weird and out of place I loved this issue and it was an awesome goodbye and an awesome wrap around to the original party. I really really enjoyed this run.

Titans Annual

This was surprisingly pretty good. I feel like Batman came off a little too cold(is that even possible?), and some of the conflict seemed a little forced but overall I really liked this.

X-Men Prime

Ok, you got me interested enough to check out Blue and Gold, but can't say I have any interest in Weapon X. I thought it was weird that OML is in two of these books but didn't make any appearance in this.

Ninjak

This was really good, but kind of annoyed we spent an issue or two just setting up effective red shirts.

Generation Zero

Think this book is losing steam with me. This kind of felt like a pointless issue with not much really changing and having a lot of padding. Since issue 5 this makes 2 issues that were basically pointless or overly extended. After the first few issues this book seems like it's really dragging now.

Old Man Logan

I actually felt kind of bored with this issue. A little too much talk and exposition.

Haha I think if you made it 8 odd hours in and you're happy to walk away, that speaks volumes as to whether you should keep going or not. However, I will say,
I thought the truth serum thing was kind of hilarious. It doesn't work at all! She feds Danny some cock and bull story and right when he starts having a big pouty moment over it she starts laughing at him, and rubbing it in his face that of course it hasn't worked, what a stupid idea etc

Fair enough then at least it sounds like they retconned that a bit, but believe me by that point it was the straw that broke the camels back. I have many many problems with it as a series.

I think when I was younger I used to power through shows to the end of series even if they were bad, but as I've got older I've realized there's so many other good shows out there and so little free time its just not worth it. I only gave it till episode 9 due to my love of the previous Marvel netflix shows and like I said in case there was any set up for future series.

Arrow and walking dead are also on my so bad I stopped watching part way through a series list ha

I hope the ninja clone at least lives and burst through the monster somehow, but yeah it's weird we had all this setup for sacrificial lambs

Yeah we at least have a couple that are left ambiguous, but by the end it really feels like it's going to be personal and makes me think they really were just fodder.

caliph95

Divinity Stalinverse

That was a nice event as whole even if felt a bit too easy though i want to see more of the Soviet Justice league

Finished reading through Sheriff Of Babylon vol. 1! I'm hesitant to fully judge the book before I read volume 2 later on. I know how I feel about the plot and characters on face value, but I know thematically King tends to play a deeper longer game and that I'll probably come back and reread this stuff in a new light afterwards. Just as is right now though. I liked it, it's very character focused, and presents some interesting viewpoints.

I did find the actual voice of the characters all a little samey in a "we are so broken" stilted delivery kind of way. Some of this is accounted for by the language barrier that you don't quite see and exists, and the fact most of these characters are legitimately broken, and having read his other stuff I know he doesn't just write people this way, it's clearly a style he's pursuing for this book. Still though, everyone ends up umming and ahhing points at each other that kind of merges into one at points. The initial plot that's proposed doesn't necessarily go anywhere in this volume, but again, long game and character driven, I like how it brings the characters together and then we can follow their interactions together, back out into the world separately and see more of what's going on. It is super grim shit that is handled very tastefully, the whole bang bang bang thing is very mature in how such a violent scary place to be is put across. In general, the book is a very mature book about some of the things we don't like to think about and there is a lot of merit in reading it for that, as well as just a compelling character study of people who have ended up in this place, or have put themselves in this place, as much as they might not want to look at it that way.

Overall all then, I enjoyed it, I'm excited to read the next half and see how it shakes out. In some ways I might have underplayed how good the good parts were and made excuses for the not so good parts, but I do kind of want to keep an open mind and not get too analytical on it until I read the other half.

Finished reading through Sheriff Of Babylon vol. 1! I'm hesitant to fully judge the book before I read volume 2 later on. I know how I feel about the plot and characters on face value, but I know thematically King tends to play a deeper longer game and that I'll probably come back and reread this stuff in a new light afterwards. Just as is right now though. I liked it, it's very character focused, and presents some interesting viewpoints.
I did find the actual voice of the characters all a little samey in a "we are so broken" stilted delivery kind of way. Some of this is accounted for by the language barrier that you don't quite see and exists, and the fact most of these characters are legitimately broken, and having read his other stuff I know he doesn't just write people this way, it's clearly a style he's pursuing for this book. Still though, everyone ends up umming and ahhing points at each other that kind of merges into one at points. The initial plot that's proposed doesn't necessarily go anywhere in this volume, but again, long game and character driven, I like how it brings the characters together and then we can follow their interactions together, back out into the world separately and see more of what's going on. It is super grim shit that is handled very tastefully, the whole bang bang bang thing is very mature in how such a violent scary place to be is put across. In general, the book is a very mature book about some of the things we don't like to think about and there is a lot of merit in reading it for that, as well as just a compelling character study of people who have ended up in this place, or have put themselves in this place, as much as they might not want to look at it that way.

Overall all then, I enjoyed it, I'm excited to read the next half and see how it shakes out. In some ways I might have underplayed how good the good parts were and made excuses for the not so good parts, but I do kind of want to keep an open mind and not get too analytical on it until I read the other half.

I had the exact same complaints with that book.

Read through the first volume of Sheriff of Babylon yesterday (#1 - #6). Great setting, interesting set-up and characters. Some really good panel layouts. But the dialogue pacing was a bit of a let down for me. Maybe it was intentional to depict the awkwardness in a conversation between two people where one of them is not fluent in the language being used. But that same stiffness seemed to carry over to conversations too.

And having read Sheriff Of Babylon, Vision, and The Omega Men in quick succession, I am starting to think that is just how he writes. It worked for Vision. Not so much for human characters.

Ross61

And Mark Millar will craft a heartwarming tale of hope for all ages
Does this count?
9781401272425_p0_v2_s449x700.jpg

I had the exact same complaints with that book.

And having read Sheriff Of Babylon, Vision, and The Omega Men in quick succession, I am starting to think that is just how he writes. It worked for Vision. Not so much for human characters.

Haha right okay glad it wasn't just me that read it this way! I mean, I did enjoy the book, but I felt like he was pursuing what he feels people *really* talk like, but it didn't quite gel. I'll need to think about it when I next go through his other books. I'll admit I haven't noted it until now but those other books concern characters that are alien species, robots etc, and maybe it's just jumping out now as an issue when it's such a grounded setting, but has always been there.

What the hell is going on with Doom Patrol? DC saying 7-9 is cancelled and Gerard Way saying it's alive and well and he'll be talking about it all weekend?

Seems odd...

Isn't it just cancelled in terms of solicitation, and it'll be uncancelled when they have the work together enough to start putting them out again? My take from the news yesterday was basically "its delayed more than three months, we're slow" but in official terms that becomes cancelled.

It's not cancelled. It's just delayed and unlike Archie they want retailers to know it so they'll resolicit it when they have a good knowledge of when the issues will be out.

Captain Cold fanboy got his wish of having him in I2.

Isn't it just cancelled in terms of solicitation, and it'll be uncancelled when they have the work together enough to start putting them out again? My take from the news yesterday was basically "its delayed more than three months, we're slow" but in official terms that becomes cancelled.

That was sort of my first thought, that they were just tired of reciliting them and wanted to wait until they were sure of dates, but it seems weird not to just say that doesn't it?

Either way I'm happy Gerard said it's still alive and well so fast, seems like just a weird handling though.

Is this one of the good cons at the weekend where they actually announce things that are exciting or is it one of the ones that's fun for people there and no fun for sad people at home? I can never read which ones to pay attention too.

Ross61

That was sort of my first thought, that they were just tired of reciliting them and wanted to wait until they were sure of dates, but it seems weird not to just say that doesn't it?

Either way I'm happy Gerard said it's still alive and well so fast, seems like just a weird handling though.
They did say that, BC was just being hyperbolic.

Yeah I really don't think they would cancel unless they had no possible other option. Its the Young Animal headline book and there headline book associated with Gerard Way, there probably benefiting from that publicity all they can.

As far as can guess it looks like there having major delays so rather than keep soliciting it for dates they cant meet, there either going to make sure it can definitely make a date before soliciting it or give it a bit of a gap to build up a few issues in the bag and then release those issues in a more set schedule.

From Gerard Ways Instagram post looks like the series is definitely still on, there just working on the best way to handle the delays. Like I said though from the way hes wording that post it looks to me like hes saying its still on but you'll get issues when there ready not before then.

Is this one of the good cons at the weekend where they actually announce things that are exciting or is it one of the ones that's fun for people there and no fun for sad people at home? I can never read which ones to pay attention too.
Wonder Con and Dallas are both going to have big things like the Dark Days livestream.

I don't really like the term "tumblr book" since it doesn't seem to really mean anything. I know people use it to stand in for quirky titles, but they fuckin love X-Men and Avengers and Batfamily books. Are those tumblr books too? I don't see anything like Wasp or Squirrel Girl on my dashboard ever.

I don't really like the term "tumblr book" since it doesn't seem to really mean anything. I know people use it to stand in for quirky titles, but they fuckin love X-Men and Avengers and Batfamily books. Are those tumblr books too? I don't see anything like Wasp or Squirrel Girl on my dashboard ever.

Tumblr book means anything you don't like

you know like gluten

carbs are glutens, fats are glutens, calories? glutens

I don't really like "tumblr book".

I don't really like it either. It won't link my instagram no matter how many times I put my password and full name/address in, and now I keep getting weird emails!

Wonder Con and Dallas are both going to have big things like the Dark Days livestream.

Cheers for that!

Petty excited for Gabriel Rodriguez (of Locke & Key fame) to announce what appears to be his first creator owned written & drawn project! He's been teasing pencils for sometime but shared these over the last day or so:

I don't really like it either. It won't link my instagram no matter how many times I put my password and full name/address in, and now I keep getting weird emails!

Cheers for that!

I get a lot of emails too. Porn bots won't stop following me :(

I read through the Flowers for Rhino story in Tangled Web last night and it was fantastic. Milligan/Fegredo are SO GOOD together. Peak Milligan wrote such wonderful comics. Kind of disappointed this isn't more readily available in some sort of physical collection. Milligan did a great job at humanizing Rhino.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh, it may be silly that from all people I am the one asking this, but is Rhino fused to his suit? I know that he left the costume in The Gauntlet when the new Rhino showed up, but what was the deal with this before?

Slayven

Eh, it may be silly that from all people I am the one asking this, but is Rhino fused to his suit? I know that he left the costume in The Gauntlet when the new Rhino showed up, but what was the deal with this before?

It is one of those things where sometimes he is, sometimes he ain't. And sometimes he is mutated even further

In Flowers for Rhino he is. It's a major point throughout the story.

Messi

Read a friends floppy copy of the newest Amazing Spider-man. Too many ads. Stuart Immonen is a fucking God and we don't deserve him. His art is spectacular. Those last few pages of the backup about Ock post Clone Conspiracy had me smiling ear to ear. Such a stupid idea, I love it.

Tldr : Immonen is godly

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'll keep back my excitement

I remember being excited when they announced the standalone Batman film

Top Bottom