• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

tumblr_n4wmapNc6L1r3j9f2o1_500.jpg

The Bloodspell hardcover is all fishnetty

End of this month, Joe Qunones was just showing his copies on Tumblr.

oh, I was almost super-jelly.

Also, is DC going to go the dust-jacketless route for their basic hardcovers like Marvel did? I was in Barnes & Noble today and noticed Batman 66' was the same format as Marvel's NOW hardcovers.

Fevaweva

I've been rereading what I have of Deadpool and Cable series (old I know) is it worth finishing? Or does it just fall off at some point?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
oh, I was almost super-jelly.

Also, is DC going to go the dust-jacketless route for their basic hardcovers like Marvel did? I was in Barnes & Noble today and noticed Batman 66' was the same format as Marvel's NOW hardcovers.

That would be amazing. I hate dust jackets so much.

That would be amazing. I hate dust jackets so much.

It makes sense. Dust jackets are just a waste of paper in most cases. It's another reason why the Image deluxe hardcovers are so great. They just have awesome art on the covers and no dust jacket.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It makes sense. Dust jackets are just a waste of paper in most cases. It's another reason why the Image deluxe hardcovers are so great. They just have awesome art on the covers and no dust jacket.

They are a waste of paper, and clumsy and a hassle. I've always wondered if it's actually cheaper, however, than doing textbook-type covers or the fancier cloth hardcovers. That's the only thing that's ever made sense to me. It boggles my mind how dust jackets could be aesthetically preferred.

Macmanus

As long as they bring it to its natural conclusion at the right time. If they drag it on for too long, shit is going to get goofy.

I'm sort of a comic newbie so be gently; but I remember reading some remarks from BKV stating how it's insane that people develop a story without a first, second, and third act. Now I've only read Y: from him, but I thought that did a pretty solid job. I know the ending is polarizing - but I was able to swallow it. I've only gone through the first volume of Ex Machina, but I'm not feeling that book like I did Y - but it feels clear that there is a beginning, middle, and end.

Still reading but man I have dropped several books in preference of trade waiting instead.

Regardless though, Day One for Rucka's Cyclops. I'll probably go for the baby variant cover as it was my phone's wallpaper for a while.

Messi

I just read Secret Avengers #2. This is a lovely little book. Some lovely character moments and at times truly stellar art. I wasn't sold after the first average issue, but this second issue has me wanting more.

Cast my votes into spikes PM box. None will win but that's ok.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I just read Secret Avengers #2. This is a lovely little book. Some lovely character moments and at times truly stellar art. I wasn't sold after the first average issue, but this second issue has me wanting more.

It really is. Fun adventures with a great group of heroes and a Modok. It's well written and the art is rad, and it's the only Avengers book I read.

I'm still playing catch up on the previous run but am really looking forward to starting this. Looks like fun.

Need to grab Secret Avengers #2 but I loved #1 of the "reboot" as the art and storytelling is much better than the previous run.

It fit more in line with Hawkeye for me, which is probably why I like this version more.

Bought the humble bundle, which has rekindled my love of comics. I noticed that the comixology app seems to be more expensive than the Kindle store in terms of pricing. Are there advantages to buying in one app vs the other?

Good OT! I totally forgot about a Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series, i'm so there. Also, Firestar is an X-Man?! I'm there too!

not many other new series i'm anticipating this month aside from COWL and Bee & Puppycat. I'll probably stumble into something though

not this though. of fucking course it's sure to become a movie

Ahhh thank you! It's supposed to come out May 14th! Hopefully I don't let you down D:

Messi

Bought the humble bundle, which has rekindled my love of comics. I noticed that the comixology app seems to be more expensive than the Kindle store in terms of pricing. Are there advantages to buying in one app vs the other?

You can't buy in the Comixology app anymore because Eric killed it...

Ahhh thank you! It's supposed to come out May 14th! Hopefully I don't let you down D:
Wait, is Bee and Puppycat seriously coming out so soon?
Oh. My gosh.
ALL OF MY MONEY. ALL OF IT. OMG.
YESSSSSSSSSSH.

Puppycat and Steven Universe will be my first "every month on release day" comics. >.>

Korten

Banned
Just bought Ms Marvel (2014) #1 - #3 today (digital), I'm really enjoying it! I will say, I do like holding a physical comic book, but I love how I can get caught up that easily.

Anyway, anyone else reading Ms Marvel? If not, I really recommend it, it's really enjoyable.

Isak_Borg

The Comixology App has a guided view feature which provides a better reading experiences on tablets and phones. Amazon bought Comixology for a reason and guided view is probably one of the main ones.

You can't buy in the Comixology app anymore because Eric killed it...

Oh, I wish I could burn the APP to the ground!

*Insert Kefka laugh*

Wait, is Bee and Puppycat seriously coming out so soon?
Oh. My gosh.
ALL OF MY MONEY. ALL OF IT. OMG.
YESSSSSSSSSSH.

Puppycat and Steven Universe will be my first "every month on release day" comics. >.>

Yeah man! I just checked with Frederator and they're confirming the May 14th release date! (Boom's site still just says "May" though, get on that guys). I still haven't seen the finished book (waiting for my comps I guess?) but the couple pages I have seen look so beautiful @_@

Digital comics are so amazing, seriously.

I've been moving for the past few weeks and it's insanely convenient to just read things on my phone while I'm in bed or something.

Yeah man! I just checked with Frederator and they're confirming the May 14th release date! (Boom's site still just says "May" though, get on that guys). I still haven't seen the finished book (waiting for my comps I guess?) but the couple pages I have seen look so beautiful @_@
Your comps? What's that?
Also, yesssssssss. My girlfriend is going to scream. >.>

Digital comics are so amazing, seriously.

I've been moving for the past few weeks and it's insanely convenient to just read things on my phone while I'm in bed or something.

I'm 95% digital with the rare TPB of my favorite stuff, but a phone? That would drive me crazy. I guess guided view mode would mitigate the tiny screen somewhat, but tablet or bust!

I'm on a Nexus 7 and honestly wish I had the Nexus 10 just for comics.

Owzers

Grizzlies are going down tonight, Pacers fighting for their comics-reading nba lives.

Hawkeye #18 - i don't enjoy reading this book monthly anymore and barely have an opinion of it outside of disappointment in both its release schedule and how the book has been put out. I can barely remember what is going on anymore apart from Kate getting mad at Clint and moving to L.A. and lots of bro people wanting to kill Hawkeye. 18 issues with so very little of a lasting impact from reading it outside the novelty of a pizza dog.

This would make for a much better omnibus, but even then i don't feel like enough has happened to fill those 18 issues.

Messi

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Miles-Man #1 preview is up at newsarama, good stuff.
is that Ganke in the first few pages? The shield guy. Makes no sense.

Thunder putting the boots to the Grizzlies tonight. Durant battling for his life.

I'm 95% digital with the rare TPB of my favorite stuff, but a phone? That would drive me crazy. I guess guided view mode would mitigate the tiny screen somewhat, but tablet or bust!

I literally just said that last sentence to my girlfriend after reading a comic on my Nexus 7. I love the Native Guided View comics. That said, I need a larger tablet. :)

Hawkeye #18 - i don't enjoy reading this book monthly anymore and barely have an opinion of it outside of disappointment in both its release schedule and how the book has been put out. I can barely remember what is going on anymore apart from Kate getting mad at Clint and moving to L.A. and lots of bro people wanting to kill Hawkeye. 18 issues with so very little of a lasting impact from reading it outside the novelty of a pizza dog.

This would make for a much better omnibus, but even then i don't feel like enough has happened to fill those 18 issues.

I think the book lost its groove during the Kate arc. It was fine when she was dealing with (or being dealt with by) Madame Masque, but the private eye stuff got boring quick.

Tizoc

Re-reading More than meets the eye and I'm just about done with Vol. 3.
Series is timeless to me and I love re-reading it.
I find it funny how
Ironfist has an actual lifesize model of Delta Magnus A lifesized model of an actual Cybertronian who is twice Ironfist's size
Dude had such a hobby

You guys really need to get in on this series already.

Isak_Borg

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Miles-Man #1 preview is up at newsarama, good stuff.
is that Ganke in the first few pages? The shield guy. Makes no sense.

Thunder putting the boots to the Grizzlies tonight. Durant battling for his life.

It's not ganke... Just a wild guess.

Messi

I think the book lost its groove during the Kate arc. It was fine when she was dealing with (or being dealt with by) Madame Masque, but the private eye stuff got boring quick.

I feel the exact opposite. The only fun and enjoyment I'm getting out of the book is coming from the Kate issues. I've lost all interest in Clint and have actually forgotten what his story even is bar the end of the last Clint issue.

Guided view is amazing, so I don't mind the small screen. I do want to get a tablet sometime this year mainly for comics but at the moment I've just got my phone.

My books that aren't on comixology are a pain in the ass to read though. Not crazy about the Dark Horse reader or the CBR reader I'm using for that Image bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom