• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

it's not even nba season yet, we have a chance!

james-harden-eurostep-o.gif

The premise of the book, familiarity with the creative team, their previous track record on kickstarter if any, how much is being asked for funding and whether that's reasonable, what work has already been completed.

Haven't backed a single issue kickstarter yet. I'm generally looking at anthologies or standard tpb-sized projects. In those I'd be looking at the lowest phyiscal tier which would net me a hardcover or some other artbook thing.

If I was backing a 32 pg comic project I'd be looking at comparable prices to standard indie floppies e.g. like an It Will All Hurt so $8-10 physical?

Good art, good pitch, preferably for a one shot story. $5 digital pdf tier, 10 for a shipped physical copy maybe? It's too small for a hardcover option but maybe also include sketched-in/commission/original art tiers

For comics that size I usually go for the cheaper tiers though
Thx for the responses peeps.

Im planning to launch a kickstarter for my book in a few weeks. Only used 32 pages as a reference. The one I'm planning has 48 sequential pages so basically a double issue.

Mostly worried about printing and shipping costs tbh Printing will likely run me about $4-5 per book plus shipping so per copy Im estimating to come out to $8-9 so it would be pretty hard to justify a $10 physical copy tier.

Kind of thinking
$1 - thx for the money
$5 - pdf
$11 - physical copy
$17 - Phys copy+pdf+bookmark(?)
$30 - Phys+pdf+bookmark+head sketch in book+pdf extras (scripts, character sketches, deleted material, etc)
$40 - all above+digital avatar/profile pic sketch
$70 - all above + 9" x 12" full figure sketch commission
$150 - all above + orig page
$250 - All above but sub in a 11 x 17 full illustration
$375 - everything but sub orig cover for orig page

In all my tentative goal is 1k. Pretty modest I think. All 48 pages have been drawn and lettered. 18 pages have yet to be colored but Ill likely knock those out during the month of the campaign. So getting rewards out the door will likely take me 2 months at most

Avatar Sale on Comixology. Includes the art books

https://www.comixology.com/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Sale/page/8280?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Any particular recommendations? I'd only read The Search.
Smoke and Shadow just started up, but I'll wait for the hardcovers since they're amazing. Chronologically, it's The Promise, The Search, and then The Rift. Between the three, I think The Search is the best, but The Rift is really good, too. The Promise has a solid idea, but I wasn't much of a fan.
Went back a few pages and didn't see this posted.

MLXQmBY.jpg

I don't know if this is spot on or trying too hard. Those quotes are on the actual cover.
Is it a variant? Because then I'm fine with the quotes.
One of my favorite fight scenes from the DC DTV animated movies, Barda and Wonder Woman against the Furies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfxdLAVl2tw

That move Diana does with Lashina + the lasso is still so fucking good.

tumblr_ldoqelFGzw1qa0rzao1_400.gif
I need to absorb both of you into me.

Yeah, no wonder basically no comic creator came to my comic con this weekend, they're all in Baltimore! Why would my CC be so stupid lol

Oh well, I guess the actors are the important part. Right?...

It sure is. It sure is.

Have you read it yet? I died at the part in #2 where
Armstrong says he won all 13 of Da Vinci's flying machines at dice, including the one that worked.

Asmus and Van Lente, the comedic duo we don't deserve.

Have you read it yet? I died at the part in #2 where
Armstrong says he won all 13 of Da Vinci's flying machines at dice, including the one that worked.

Asmus and Van Lente, the comedic duo we don't deserve.

Yep. The whole thing is pretty solid. The two teams play off each other rather well.

Looking through the Harvey nominees, I was reminded of this small-time miniseries (cancelled short of its full 12 issues) by Donny Cates and Daniel Warren Johnson. DWJ is nominated for a Harvey, and I probably didn't have enough confidence to post about it before, but holy shit DWJ can draw.

The first image is from Ghost Fleet, the second is from Space Mullet (haven't read). Exceptional artist. If anyone is at all interested, Ghost Fleet is an 8 issue mini (published by Dark Horse) that I believe would appeal to people who enjoyed Preacher and more mature action titles.

I think it is adorable in the story.

Maybe as this minuscule yet endearing character detail, but it's not a draw for the book. You're underselling how special the book is by having it hinge on the draw of nipple piercings. It's like you're pricing the book at $9.99. It's a $14.99 $19.99 book. Sell it on the story, character work, art, and the eroticism.

Messi

Maybe as this minuscule yet endearing character detail, but it's not a draw for the book. You're underselling how special the book is by having it hinge on the draw of nipple piercings. It's like you're pricing the book at $9.99. It's a $14.99 $19.99 book. Sell it on the story, character work, art, and the eroticism.

Are you really giving me shit for underselling Sunstone? The person who bangs the drum most for the characters and emotions of the story. OK.

Are you really giving me shit for underselling Sunstone? The person who bangs the drum most for the characters and emotions of the story. OK.

I'm just saying, shill with honor. Don't make this about nipple piercings.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you. Actually, I intended it to be a bit overserious on purpose. lol

Messi

I'm just saying, shill with honor. Don't make this about nipple piercings.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you. Actually, I intended it to be a bit overserious on purpose. lol

Do you not think the piercing was a big story point? Or do you think it was done for titillation? I think it is a very important moment.

Do you not think the piercing was a big story point? Or do you think it was done fir titillation? I think it is a very important moment.

I think it was an important character-building moment, but you would need the context.

dude, I was just being facetious. I didn't mean to be taken seriously and I didn't mean to upset you :(

A non-comic book* got me hooked for the past week but I just finished reading it. Now back to comics

Battling Boy: Such amazing artwork (and lettering and sound effects). And more than that, the world itself is fascinating.
The power from the various t-shirts was also very interesting.
Like Tyrant and frye have said, it very much feels like part one in a multi part story. Shame we haven't heard more about a sequel.

The Rise of Aurora West: Part one of a prequel to Battling Boy. Different artist for this one, but still great. And in contrast to Battling Boy, we actually get a lot more character insight, a good mystery and what feels like a complete story arc. There is a very definite passage of time from the prequels to the Battling Boy book and all the connections are very well done. Works as a great take on the Batman mythology too.

Waiting for The Fall of The House of West to be available at my library, hope that doesn't take too long.

*City of Darkness: Life In Kowloon Walled City Non comic book but does have a lot of pictures. A fascinating look into the Kowloon Walled City, told through great photographs and lots of interviews with long-term residents just before the whole block was demolished. Reads like something straight out of a sci-fi comic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/stories/kowloon

Messi has pushed Sunstone on me for ages. I'm now going to buy it. But only for the nipple piercings and I am going to judge it solely on that merit.

Owzers

Speaking of nipples, there's a Batman collection sale on cmx now. People could try Earth One vol 1 for $4 along with other books.

A non-comic book* got me hooked for the past week but I just finished reading it. Now back to comics

Battling Boy: Such amazing artwork (and lettering and sound effects). And more than that, the world itself is fascinating.
Like Tyrant and frye have said, it very much feels like part one in a multi part story. Shame we don't heard more.

I was just looking into this. What are the odds.

Messi has pushed Sunstone on me for ages. I'm now going to buy it. But only for the nipple piercings and I am going to judge it solely on that merit.

I hate you all.

Like Tyrant and frye have said, it very much feels like part one in a multi part story. Shame we haven't heard more about a sequel.

The Rise of Aurora West: Part one of a prequel to Battling Boy. Different artist for this one, but still great. And in contrast to Battling Boy, we actually get a lot more character insight, a good mystery and what feels like a complete story arc. There is a very definite passage of time from the prequels to the Battling Boy book and all the connections are very well done. Works as a great take on the Batman mythology too.

Waiting for The Fall of The House of West to be available at my library, hope that doesn't take too long.

*City of Darkness: Life In Kowloon Walled City Non comic book but does have a lot of pictures. A fascinating look into the Kowloon Walled City, told through great photographs and lots of interviews with long-term residents just before the whole block was demolished. Reads like something straight out of a sci-fi comic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/stories/kowloon
I was actually looking into The Rise of Aurora West and The Fall of the House of West the other day, I had no idea that Pope didn't do the art. You seem pretty positive towards it so I'll be sure to give it a look. I liked the world a lot and I am very interested in seeing more. It is a real shame how Battling Boy just... stops. It was very enjoyable though.

I highly recommend 100% too. It rules. All black and white and you can tell Pope really just loves inking from it. It's fantastic.

Story you shared was pretty interesting too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom