• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually looking into The Rise of Aurora West and The Fall of the House of West the other day, I had no idea that Pope didn't do the art. You seem pretty positive towards it so I'll be sure to give it a look. I liked the world a lot and I am very interested in seeing more. It is a real shame how Battling Boy just... stops. It was very enjoyable though.

I highly recommend 100% too. It rules. All black and white and you can tell Pope really just loves inking from it. It's fantastic.

Story you shared was pretty interesting too!

The art is by David Rubin and is in B&W. I really liked this art too. His action sequences feel very dynamic.

bg9Pw0W.jpg

Only niggle is that the book comes in such a small form factor (manga volume sized).

Will definitely look at 100%. Sounds very interesting.

h#shdem0n

So, I'm not really huge into comics. This is what I've read:
The Dark Knight Returns
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore) Vol. 1 + 2
Transmetropolitan Vol 1
Saga Vol 1

I really liked TDKR, but nothing else has impressed me as much as the last two that I read.

The Manhattan Projects Vol 1. I went into it only knowing that it involved real world scientists. I had no idea what I was in for, and I fucking love it.

Ms. Marvel Vol 1. My god, this was charming as fuck. Had me laughing at loud several times. Gonna have to go to the library and request an interlibrary loan for Vol. 2.

Edit: Not sure whether it was assumed, but I'm talking about the new Ms. Marvel.

Owzers

The Dark Knight Returns
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore) Vol. 1 + 2
Transmetropolitan Vol 1
Saga Vol 1

I really liked TDKR, but nothing else has impressed me as much as the last two that I read.

The Manhattan Projects Vol 1. I went into it only knowing that it involved real world scientists. I had no idea what I was in for, and I fucking love it.

Ms. Marvel Vol 1. My god, this was charming as fuck. Had me laughing at loud several times. Gonna have to go to the library and request an interlibrary loan for Vol. 2.

I'd check out East of West by Hickman too since you liked Manhattan Projects.

The art is by David Rubin and is in B&W. I really liked this art too. His action sequences feel very dynamic.

Only niggle is that the book comes in such a small form factor (manga volume sized).

That looks good! And yeah, the size is a shame, I've seen the books irl :( I wish Battling Boy was bigger myself. It's a nice little hardcover at least.

I like the 100% hardcover a lot but some of the edges get lost in the gutter UGH
If you're trying out stuff, I definitely recommend you try out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. It's great stuff.
How's the Batgirl trade that's in that Comixology sale? Batgirl of Burnside?
I like the current run a lot so far. If you can manage to look past the fact that Babs acts different from the previous run then it's good, solid fun with some great art.

frye

I was actually looking into The Rise of Aurora West and The Fall of the House of West the other day, I had no idea that Pope didn't do the art. You seem pretty positive towards it so I'll be sure to give it a look. I liked the world a lot and I am very interested in seeing more. It is a real shame how Battling Boy just... stops. It was very enjoyable though.

I highly recommend 100% too. It rules. All black and white and you can tell Pope really just loves inking from it. It's fantastic.

Story you shared was pretty interesting too!

I think the plan was to do Battling Boy and then two Aurora West books in the meantime before the second Battling Boy. Pope knew he wouldn't have the second volume of Battling Boy done the next year so he got Rubin who has a background in animation to do pump out (which is a bad phrase, he's quite good) a few books.

It's pretty fun, I think, but I have gripes with the format too, shit's even smaller than BB

also:

I highly recommend 100% too. It rules.

VanWinkle

Speaking of nipples, there's a Batman collection sale on cmx now. People could try Earth One vol 1 for $4 along with other books.

Hey thanks for this info. I finally bought a nice tablet to read digital comics, so I just picked up six collections I've been wanting to get already anyway, for way cheaper. This is awesome.

VanWinkle

Batman Day sale is legit. Got Grayson, Gotham Academy, Batgirl of Burnside and the Eternal volumes. Excellente.

I couldn't believe the Eternal volumes were that price. List price is FOURTY DOLLARS! Craziness. But yeah, I got Eternal vol. 2 (already have a physical version of vol. 1), Grayson vol. 1, Gotham Academy, Batman and Robin vol. 1, Hush, and Batman '66 vol. 1.

I'm still thinking about also getting Batgirl of Burnside, Arkham Knight, and Death of the Family. We'll see. It's kind of hard to pass that up.

So, uh, what's the deal with the Eternal Warrior standalone series? They seem to not just be inconsistent with the rest of the current Valiant universe but actually downright incoherent with it. Like the two stories are fine and all, but they seem entirely apocryphal.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hot damn at this Comixology sale...

How's the Batgirl trade that's in that Comixology sale? Batgirl of Burnside?
It's good. It's fun. There's the criticism that Babs acts too much like Steph, which is valid I suppose, but looking past that it's a solid start to a good run. The series has become more interesting recently.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I get to hire someone new at FroYo. Looking through all these resumes... People are awful. Now I know what I'm up against when I'm looking for a job and I feel much better about my chances. Haha
It's scary how many of these kids have like 4 jobs on their resume, each held for just 2-3 months. C'mon now.
And so many grammar/spelling errors. And so much horrible formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom