• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ostrander's Suicide Squad tpb 1 reprint out today. Only new release I am interested in this week, so will have to include it in some future order.

Hmm..... Now do I play Metal Gear or Mad Max first? Hmm......

I heard there's something hidden early on in MGS that's missable. I need to know more about this before I begin.

VanWinkle

Finished this today:
81rn4wK5M-L.jpg

Amazing. Probably my favorite Batman graphic novel thus far.

Currently reading this:

I like it. The only kind of dumb thing so far is that the girl (starfire or something) is hilariously sexualized. That may be par for the course for her character since I am not familiar with her, but it still seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Still, I'm enjoying it a lot.

zeeaykay

Scalped Deluxe Vol 2 came in the mail, but I don't remember all the details from the first one. Seems like the book is good enough to re-read...

EDIT: I've switched from floppies to trades and hardcovers, and it seems the only downfall, especially with deluxe editions, is waiting over a year to get to the next part of a story. You remember less volume to volume, but more issue to issue. At least with comics it's easy to flip through and refresh memory compared to novels.

Scalped Deluxe Vol 2 came in the mail, but I don't remember all the details from the first one. Seems like the book is good enough to re-read...

EDIT: I've switched from floppies to trades and hardcovers, and it seems the only downfall, especially with deluxe editions, is waiting over a year to get to the next part of a story. You remember less volume to volume, but more issue to issue. At least with comics it's easy to flip through and refresh memory compared to novels.

scalped is also a weirdly, wildly decompressed story. I think the first thirty issues span like a week of time.

Owzers

nope, you get one shot at remembering comics and after you finish a book you're on your own, no flipbacks. I barely know who people are in Invinicble anymore..Space Racer guy? Races around space and played a part in the Viltrumite war arc, apart from that who knows.

Yousefb

Comics or Metal Gear? ... Comics or Metal Gear? Decisions decisions. All I can say is thank god it's a long weekend lol

Finished this today:

Amazing. Probably my favorite Batman graphic novel thus far.

Currently reading this:

I like it. The only kind of dumb thing so far is that the girl (starfire or something) is hilariously sexualized. That may be par for the course for her character since I am not familiar with her, but it still seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Still, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Black Mirror is so damn good! I need to read more Dick Batman stories. Has anyone read Gates of Gotham?

Owzers

Make this the truth with digital comics and release all of the issues for 10c. I would bite.

I think i would fight this because i like having a collection but then embrace it because of price. Let's write to the creative teams and tell them of your plan to see what they think of it.

Zombine

Banned
I can't breathe with all this ether.

I bought Mad Max instead of MGS as well.

You did the right thing M8.

I think i would fight this because i like having a collection but then embrace it because of price. Let's write to the creative teams and tell them of your plan to see what they think of it.

But it has to be weird though...I want the letter to be mailed in and poorly written in crayon.

So in celebration of Metal Gear Solid V's release its story time (with included pic of me)!

The year, 2010. I went to the San Diego Comic con for my one and only time with my brother. At some point during Saturday I'm walking around the floor room killing time. At one point i'm checking out the new action figures and whatnot of Metal Gear. I then look over and suddenly see a recognizable figure also looking at the toys. He had a couple handlers but it was Kojima! Now I didn't want to bug him and beat him down as he was making his way through the floor relatively unnoticed. But I felt like i should document this in some way so I ended up taking a shot that looked like it was the toys but also included him. Of course as you can see from the photo his handler notices. haha

I then was walking off when his handler stopped me and asked if I wanted a photo with him. I of course said yes. And so here is a photo of me with my favorite game creator of all time.

Now i'm off to play MGS V! *Salutes*

As someone who hasn't touched a Marvel or DC comic since Ellis got off Moon Knight and probably nothing for about 5 years before that, I was killing time in a comic store waiting for the bus and read all of Hank Johnson: Agent of Hydra #1. Pleasantly funny and I didn't really need to be up on stuff to get the jokes.

Vibranium

Banned
One will be super rewarding and coherent, the other is Metal Gear Solid. The choice is yours.

Sorry Zombine, but the prologue of MGSV is so insane it's amazing. Kojima is so awesome ans should write my life story, it would be way more interesting.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh.
Been stuck in bed feeling like death for the past two days. This is the first time I've even felt well enough to hop on Neogaf on my laptop. :'(

I also finally felt well enough to even just watch a movie a few hours ago. I watched Before I Disappear and it was really great.

I just want to diiiiiiiiiiie already.

So in celebration of Metal Gear Solid V's release its story time (with included pic of me)!

The year, 2010. I went to the San Diego Comic con for my one and only time with my brother. At some point during Saturday I'm walking around the floor room killing time. At one point i'm checking out the new action figures and whatnot of Metal Gear. I then look over and suddenly see a recognizable figure also looking at the toys. He had a couple handlers but it was Kojima! Now I didn't want to bug him and beat him down as he was making his way through the floor relatively unnoticed. But I felt like i should document this in some way so I ended up taking a shot that looked like it was the toys but also included him. Of course as you can see from the photo his handler notices. haha

I then was walking off when his handler stopped me and asked if I wanted a photo with him. I of course said yes. And so here is a photo of me with my favorite game creator of all time.

Now i'm off to play MGS V! *Salutes*
Ha, nice story. He always looks so laid back.

Messi

Why can't we have more than the Secret Love story about Misty and Iron Fist? I'd read an ongoing by the team that made that part. The art was wonderful. The writing was cute. Mistys dress sliding off her metal arm was a nice emotional beat. I liked seeing those characters act like humans. Great story.

Misty and Danny 4 ever

Here is the bit with the arm. Great art and character designs.

Played a few hours of MGS. Really like it so far. It is a bit intimidating with how much there is to do, and it feels a bit weird to have an MGS game that isn't nearly as linear as previous entries. But I'mma take my time and enjoy it. I may pick up the guide tomorrow simply because I like having them handy for the really complex games.

Why can't we have more than the Secret Love story about Misty and Iron Fist? I'd read an ongoing by the team that made that part. The art was wonderful. The writing was cute. Mistys dress sliding off her metal arm was a nice emotional beat. I liked seeing those characters act like humans. Great story.

Real talk, that was my favorite story in the entire comic.

Weiss

Banned
So I read a digital comic for the first time (a free copy of Young Justice #1). It was kind of a pain, it's definitely a lot easier for me to read a printed copy, but between the enormous library (Sandman Mystery Theatre! Impulse! Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol!) and low price point I think I kind of have to.

Am I betraying my LCS by doing this?

Vibranium

Banned

Misty and Danny 4 ever

Here is the bit with the arm. Great art and character designs.

Agreed, Misty and Danny really are a great couple. Hopefully she's in the Iron Fist Netflix show or something, maybe then we can see more of them together in the comics.

Messi

Played a few hours of MGS. Really like it so far. It is a bit intimidating with how much there is to do, and it feels a bit weird to have an MGS game that isn't nearly as linear as previous entries. But I'mma take my time and enjoy it. I may pick up the guide tomorrow simply because I like having them handy for the really complex games.

Real talk, that was my favorite story in the entire comic.

The whole time I'm reading it thinking... Why isn't this a thing. It's totally set up to be a thing.

The whole time I'm reading it thinking... Why isn't this a thing. It's totally set up to be a thing.

The art really made everything work. I didn't even realize Misty could take off the robot arm. I just assumed it was always attached. She looked so cute sitting in front of the TV with the empty sleeve. How did she lose the arm in the first place?

Messi

The art really made everything work. I didn't even realize Misty could take off the robot arm. I just assumed it was always attached. She looked so cute sitting in front of the TV with the empty sleeve. How did she lose the arm in the first place?

Oh wow I totally didn't notice she doesn't have the arm on in those pages. I just assumed it was a loose sleeve. But when they are on the couch it's clear it's not there. That is cool.

I don't know where she lost it. In all new Cap she has both arms to the best of my knowledge.

Yep

tumblr_nkkjfxfuVF1tf70vho1_1280.jpg

I don't know where she lost it. In all new Cap she has both arms to the best of my knowledge.

This looks like it was waaay back, though.

Misty was seriously injured preventing a bomb attack back when she was a police officer with the NYPD. Her right arm was amputated and rather than take a desk job, she resigned from the police force. Tony Stark provided her a bionic arm which endowed her superhuman strength. Soon after that she met Spider-Man,and then Iron Fist. Misty roomed with X-Men member Jean Grey until Jean returned to her life as an X-Man

Wouldn't be surprised if Remender didn't even know.

But then I suppose are supposed to be up on that kind of minutia, right?

While he's not Hickman, who I think has read every Marvel comic ever printed, Remender's Marvel stuff is usually full of references.

Messi

Wouldn't be surprised if Remender didn't even know.

But then I suppose are supposed to be up on that kind of minutia, right?

It's not inconceivable that the robot arm is under her suit. You never see her outside if the suit and it is some kind of armor as is. He just never mentions it in the story. I can't think of where it would fit in. She is only in like 3 issues.

Squire

Banned
While he's not Hickman, who I think has read every Marvel comic ever printed, Remender's Marvel stuff is usually full of references.

Oh I don't doubt he's very well-versed at all!

It's not inconceivable that the robot arm is under her suit. You never see her outside if the suit and it is some kind of armor as is. He just never mentions it in the story. I can't think of where it would fit in. She is only in like 3 issues.

Ah, I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom