• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s Talk About ARPG’s

What’s your favorite ARPG?

• Diablo 2

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Path of Exile

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Last Epoch

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Something Else(Explain)

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters
I mean, action RPG means just that. RPG using action combat instead of turn-based combat. Tales. Ys. Mana. Ultima. Elder Scrolls.

What you want is a dungeon crawler. Torchlight. Grim Dawn. Dungeon Siege. The PS2 Baldur's Gate games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I mean, action RPG means just that. RPG using action combat instead of turn-based combat. Tales. Ys. Mana. Ultima. Elder Scrolls.

What you want is a dungeon crawler. Torchlight. Grim Dawn. Dungeon Siege. The PS2 Baldur's Gate games.
Go ask a Path of Exile player if he is playing a dungeon crawler or an ARPG. They will 99.99% answer ARPG.

Further illustrates my point.

Az8rCj9.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah it's a Isometric RPG as far as I am concerned. Using the broad term of ARPG means anything from a FPS, TPS, Roguelite, Isometric, Arena Battler, Character Action Game, Spectacle Fighter, Beat em up, WRPG, JRPG, Twin Stick Shooter, and much more all apply if they have RPG elements and a real time action system at play.

It's why I found it odd the thread was all "DISCUSS ARPGS" and it was all "Isometric games" instead.

Like I previously stated best Diablo clone is probably Grim Dawn.

I'd like some new Diablo Clones to try but I've pretty much played all the prominent ones when they were in Early Access like PoE, Last Epoch, Wolcen, Warhammer Inquisitor and then much older games like Sacred Gold, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Older Ys games, Xanadu Next, Darkstone, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2 and if they ever port it Champions of Norrath.

Dunno if I will revisit it but Hellgate London is always a guilty pleasure.

Kacho

Go ask a Path of Exile player if he is playing a dungeon crawler or an ARPG. They will 99.99% answer ARPG.

Further illustrates my point.

Az8rCj9.jpg
Yeah, people have a million categories they slot games into. I've always called Diablo 2 an ARPG. Others call it a hack n slash. It's so weird lol

Diablo 1 was amazing. It was slow and deliberate in how you explored and progressed. You had to watch your step and couldn't take on too many foes at once.

Everything that came after is jank, going at 1000miles per hours and killing hundreds of enemies filling the screen at all times. D2 ruined it and every game in that genre wants to be D2.
I still like Diablo II, but agree wholeheartedly about Diablo. That's part of why it's my favorite of all.

Diablo 1 was amazing. It was slow and deliberate in how you explored and progressed. You had to watch your step and couldn't take on too many foes at once.

Everything that came after is jank, going at 1000miles per hours and killing hundreds of enemies filling the screen at all times. D2 ruined it and every game in that genre wants to be D2.
Came here to write this 👆🏻🙂

StereoVsn

Maybe I am getting ild, but I legit liked D3 (post expansion and all that of course), more than the D2 Remake. Not to mention 4 which was the most boring shit ever.

I did like Grim Dawn quite a bit and now Last Epoch, but got bogged down in Path of Exile before.

But yeah, if I wanted to just chill, turn my brain off and kill some mobs, for me personally D3 or Grim Dawn are where that’s at.

Top Bottom