• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

xezuru

It's unavoidable because this thread isn't posted in as much unless there's a tournament going on or someone is looking for advice/tips to improve.

That said, this weekend is Final Round 18... but there'll probably be an OT for it considering it'll encompass not just Smash but Tekken, SF, etc etc. But then I don't even know what the competition is like for Melee for FR...

For Final Round, Melee is on the super low entrants numbers around 50ish, Sm4sh has around 150 tho.

Don't really know what major melee things are around the corner, only thing super hype in mind is NWM.

It's unavoidable because this thread isn't posted in as much unless there's a tournament going on or someone is looking for advice/tips to improve.

That said, this weekend is Final Round 18... but there'll probably be an OT for it considering it'll encompass not just Smash but Tekken, SF, etc etc. But then I don't even know what the competition is like for Melee for FR...

it's pretty shit cause Melee has nobody, Smash 4 has 3x the entrants but admittedly I don't know any notable people entering that either

emb

it's pretty shit cause Melee has nobody, Smash 4 has 3x the entrants but admittedly I don't know any notable people entering that either
I don't know why, but Melee doesn't seem to do well at FGC focused events (outside of Evo). KiT had more Smash 4 entrants too.

Probably also doesn't help that Smash 4 is sinking in and probably growing pretty quickly.

Next big tournament I'm looking forward to is probably "I'm Not Yelling". Armada confirmed, I think Hbox, M2K, and maybe Mango will probably be there.

Guys guys, the new Dolphin version fixed some netplay stuffs

Now it's easy to play Melee netplay and enjoy the benefits of modern Dolphin. :3 I'm gonna jump back in and try to get my Doc in shape again!

I don't know why, but Melee doesn't seem to do well at FGC focused events (outside of Evo). KiT had more Smash 4 entrants too.

Probably also doesn't help that Smash 4 is sinking in and probably growing pretty quickly.

Next big tournament I'm looking forward to is probably "I'm Not Yelling". Armada confirmed, I think Hbox, M2K, and maybe Mango will probably be there.

CEO 2014 did well, I think it's a matter of TOs actually trying beyond merely putting the games in

also there's Aftershock, though that's PM-centric *gasp*

Azure J

Guys guys, the new Dolphin version fixed some netplay stuffs

Now it's easy to play Melee netplay and enjoy the benefits of modern Dolphin. :3 I'm gonna jump back in and try to get my Doc in shape again!

I've been using the most recent non-official build for a bit. Did this correspond to a new official release?

I'm interested in getting some Melee and Project M netplay in, especially the former. I need to get stronger in that game.

I've been using the most recent non-official build for a bit. Did this correspond to a new official release?

I'm interested in getting some Melee and Project M netplay in, especially the former. I need to get stronger in that game.

Oh, I meant the recent dev build, sorry for not clarifying! I haven't tried PM netplay, but I'm aching to go at it again on Smashladder's Melee ladder. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of glad they didn't keep that, I assume his first jab would be weak and the second would function like his current one. I guess it would give him a jab reset (would it even work with his height? Lol) but the single punch jab is really satisfying to me for some reason.

PM is telling me I'm getting better at l canceling. Basically always over 75% now. Often in the 80s, with 90s here and there. Need to consistently get close to 100% obviously, but I'm just like, GOD, finally. I feel like I was in the 50%-60% range on hitting l cancels for months. I am practicing more recently, but still.

Apart from messing around in training mode I've just been beating up on CPUs to get better at tech chasing and just stringing things together. Getting noticeably better off stage, dying less and successfully getting KOs more often. Should get to play against my brother over the next 3-4 days and get some good playtime against a person. His Roy (PM) and Falco (Melee) are annoying though, I feel like he picked characters and playstyle to counter mine specifically :p

Tripon

CEO 2014 did well, I think it's a matter of TOs actually trying beyond merely putting the games in

also there's Aftershock, though that's PM-centric *gasp*

Eh, its also on the Melee community to show up at these events if they want to be included.

Once is an aberration, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend.

Smash 4 had larger entries at FGC events at KiT, Winter Brawl, Cannes Winter Clash and so far, Smash 4 has been leading Melee in entries at Final Round, NCR, and CEO as wel. No word at SCR, but it'll likely be the same thing.

Melee community needs to start entering these tournaments if they want the FGC to cater more to them.

xezuru

Man, played a little bit more of netplay for the first time in a while, still with my janked up controller.
Why can't nintendo just do a second shipment on the gc adapters already jeez.

Man, my neutral game is garbage, been working on random techskill for random characters,
surprisingly it's easier for me to multishine with fox than others because of the faster jumpsquat timing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, my neutral game is garbage, been working on random techskill for random characters,
surprisingly it's easier for me to multishine with fox than others because of the faster jumpsquat timing.

Can't be worse than mine!

For some reason I seem to do a bit better with Ganon than Falcon in neutral, which is kind of weird. I guess it's probably because I suck at using a dash dance effectively and can end up baiting better with Ganon.

But yeah, my Falcon's neutral is straight trash. I'm terrible at baiting and flub punishes like no tomorrow, and Falcon doesn't have any options to approach. Working on piecing it together though.

Revven

Anyone see all the shots fired today from Leffen? Shit is just amazing to read lmao. And Hbox was challenging him to a MM but he was going to use money from donations/subs for the MM -- as a result of that Leffen won't accept any challenge from Hbox unless he gives the money back to the donors and it's his own money from his pocket.

Leffen has the fire, man.

My movement is super clunky now, goes to show what a few months of Sm4sh can do to a lesser being like myself. :( I barely recognize how I was a few months ago as me compared to now, barely knowing any of my Doc tech.

Azure J

This is interesting. Apparently Ganon had a jab 2 in the game at some point. You can see it in the regular game, but only when wearing a bunny hood, and it has no hitbox.

HOW IS THIS GAME STILL PRODUCING NEW MYSTERIES/CUT CONTENT?

Anyone see all the shots fired today from Leffen? Shit is just amazing to read lmao. And Hbox was challenging him to a MM but he was going to use money from donations/subs for the MM -- as a result of that Leffen won't accept any challenge from Hbox unless he gives the money back to the donors and it's his own money from his pocket.

Leffen has the fire, man.

I missed this.

Anth0ny

leffenmangognbjg.png

SHIT MANGO

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Update on my attempt of revival of our little community. Our meetups have now grown to being weekly, playing on three sets (2 melee, one 4) and have been a blast.

We can probably gather about 15 people for a Melee tourney, and over 30 for Smash 4.
How many people do you think is good for a first (revival) tourney? Do you think there ought to be a pot?
We're all in our early to mid- twenties, so we only have small apartments so we'll probably have to rent a place. That means we need at least thirty people to cover the costs while not charging too much, hopefully we can find a good cheap place. Any tips for that?

Leffen is the greatest heel lol, makes for some great entertainment. Hbox's inability to put up an appealing gamble for Leffen was hilarious it was like watching school kids argue about betting.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Mango getting called the fuck out, about time we had someone disturbing the 5 gods something fierce.

Let's see him talking about 4-stocks when he actually does so at EVO.

He's already 4-stocked him so many times and just trounced him over the last year and a half alone that Mango's talking is well placed.

I do love Leffen embracing his heel status even more than usual. I hate him so very much. Though he is so damn good at the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshi looks kind of high, maybe, seems pretty reasonable as a whole. I just want to see more than aMSa having consistent success with Yoshi before I'm sold on him.

Wonder when we are going to get the new NTSC tier list. Prog mentioned a new one for this year. I'd move Marth above Sheik and drop Falcon and ICs to high tier (same spot on the list though). Highs/mids/lows might get some minor shuffling but I don't know that it matters much.

He's a bit lighter, his smashes are all a bit weaker, and his up b and side b had their range reduced. Definitely nerfed, but not to the point he's not ridiculously good.

Oh, I'm not saying he was nerfed down a tier or two, but rather that at least people would consider Marth or, at least, Falco to be on the same tier as Fox in PAL. I've no experience with PAL though, so pardon my possible ignorance.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
All the Melee top tiers were nerfed to some extent, I'm not familiar with all the changes though. Falco's dair was nerfed for example, the whole thing isn't a spike in PAL, just part of it.

I love Melee to death and would consider myself pretty good. Nowhere near competitive level though like these guys in the OP. I've never been quite sure if I like or hate the competitive scene (the attitudes of the 'pros' always kinda turned me off), but I will say that it is a fascinating little subculture.

Melee forever!

FZZ

Banned
Official PAL Melee Tier List 2015

IKC2jBk.jpg

That is... kinda my current NTSC tier list. lol

Yoshi is low as fuck. I still side by Leffen's analysis that Yoshi is top 8 in PAL. He just requires amazing tech skill, but he has the tools to compete.

Speaking of Leffen why is everyone fellating him on this page lol? He talks like a super villain on twitter and then irl he is quiet and wouldn't hurt a fly. Mang0 was spot on in his stream calling him a Chihuahua lmao.

Daouzin

Official PAL Melee Tier List 2015

IKC2jBk.jpg

That is... kinda my current NTSC tier list. lol

You beat me to it! By a large margin, haha.

My movement is super clunky now, goes to show what a few months of Sm4sh can do to a lesser being like myself. :( I barely recognize how I was a few months ago as me compared to now, barely knowing any of my Doc tech.

Yeah. I don't play any characters in Smash 4 that I play in Melee for that reason, but lately I can't get myself to play Smash 4 at all.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You beat me to it! By a large margin, haha.

Yeah. I don't play any characters in Smash 4 that I play in Melee for that reason, but lately I can't get myself to play Smash 4 at all.

That's why I decided not to play Falcon in Smash 4. Ended up feeling most comfortable with Yoshi, but I haven't touched the game in months.

Revven

20XX Tournament Edition Trailer

Only requires a memory card, no homebrew or hacking required. Can be pre-ordered from www.20xx.me or if you do have Homebrew on your Wii you can just get it for free by using an App to install the save file to the memory card. August 2015 is when it comes out.

This is really impressive, though. New thread worthy?

20XX Tournament Edition Trailer

Only requires a memory card, no homebrew or hacking required. Can be pre-ordered from www.20xx.me or if you do have Homebrew on your Wii you can just get it for free by using an App to install the save file to the memory card. August 2015 is when it comes out.

This is really impressive, though. New thread worthy?

Hell yeah, everyone needs to see how far Melee modding has come. To the point where we can load up codes with a save file, it's a frickin miracle. Gonna pre-order even though I could just get it for free so I can support this!

Top Bottom