• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

#SiEraPenal

CHdNFkB.jpg
He's hoverhanding like a girl-age thread starter.

v1lla21

NoRéN;172730428 said:
He's hoverhanding like a girl-age thread starter.
Lmfao!!

No one has responded but ill ask again, is anyone making a ligamx/futbol thread? Osorio ? I'm down to make a quick one and have one up by tomorrow or Friday when LigaMx starts.

Noshino

Do you think the Panamanian striker would have thrown the penalty away if the situations were reversed?

Maybe?

Do you think Mexican fans wouldn't have complained about it?

Do you think Panamanians would've made up bullshit excuse and only quote the gifs that they want while ignoring the rest?

v1lla21

Maybe?

Do you think Panamanians would've made up bullshit excuse and only quote the gifs that they want while ignoring the rest?
What bullshit excuse? You can say it isnt a penalty all you want, but it is. He's right, anyone wouldve made that shot.

alterno69

Banned
Maybe?

First, most of the players weren't able to tell if the call was right or not.
Second, it's not mexico's fault that the referee fucked up, just like they fucked up when Tevez scored a goal while being clearly offside against mexico in 2010.

Everyone worried about the gold cup.

I think the bigger news for Mexicans today was Tigres UANL making it to the Copa Libertadores Finals.

This. So much this. America fan here but I hope 'Ti-ge-res' takes it for the country. Love supporting all Mexican teams in international tourneys.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Maybe?

I didn't see Robben Huntelaar throw away the penalty last summer. I didn't see Tévez scoring an own goal after the offside goal in Johannesburg. I didn't see Brehme throw away the penalty in 1990. I didn't see the US players allowing Mexico to walk to the goal after multiple penalties were not sanctioned in our favour in the last Azteca game.

What fans think or not is irrelevant.

Noshino

First, most of the players weren't able to tell if the call was right or not.
Second, it's not mexico's fault that the referee fucked up, just like they fucked up when Tevez scored a goal while being clearly offside against mexico in 2010.

I didn't see Robben throw away the penalty last summer. I didn't see Tévez scoring an own goal after the offside goal in Johannesburg. I didn't see Brehme throw away the penalty in 1990. I didn't see the US players allowing Mexico to walk to the goal after multiple penalties were not sanctioned in our favour in the last Azteca game.

Tevez and Robben are pricks, they give a shit if people call them out. If you want to compare the moral character of the Mexico players to them, then go ahead. I wouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPjx1DMaEw

This is what people with morals do

alterno69

Banned
Tevez and Robben are pricks, they give a shit if people call them out. If you want to compare the moral character of the Mexico players to them, then go ahead. I wouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPjx1DMaEw

This is what people with morals do
News flash, most football players are pricks trying to fool referies every chance they get, most of them fake injuries, fouls and shit like that, all the time. I'd say all of them but maybe 99.99%

Most professional football players are experts at deceiving the referee.
Imagine being a referee in this age when everyone on the pitch is trying to fool you, everyone.

Um did you watch the game or were you hurt about the commentary on the shit play Mexico was showcasing? Mexico was having a really hard time to get any shots on the goal. (they had like 3 corner kicks at min ~80 while Panama had like 8~9 since they kept on the attack)

Not only that, Vega dude elbowed some PAN guy which should have resulted in a red but instead that PAN dude got a red when it should have been a yellow. The game quickly was turning to shit against Panama in a very unfair manner.

Lets see, Panama is playing better, they lose a player yet Mexico is still playing terrible. Panama scores a goal while Mexico is not playing well and is at an advantage against 10 players. Only way for Mexico to have a "chance" at extra time is a free penalty given by a bad call.

There was good reason to be against Mexico this match. Put your bias aside for a second. I was rooting for Mexico. I really wanted them to win but after I witness that, I didnt support them any more.

I'm not saying Panama didn't played better, or that Mexico deserved to win. Far from that, but it was pretty clear since the beginning of the match that the agenda was to put Mexico against the U.S., and they grow really frustrated as the match progressed. Heck one of these guys was screaming "our football has been tainted" every other minute, and he scorn others when they disagreed with him.

Nerokis

I didn't see Robben Huntelaar throw away the penalty last summer. I didn't see Tévez scoring an own goal after the offside goal in Johannesburg. I didn't see Brehme throw away the penalty in 1990. I didn't see the US players allowing Mexico to walk to the goal after multiple penalties were not sanctioned in our favour in the last Azteca game.

It's hard to believe so many people are still convinced that wasn't a legitimate penalty. Robben dribbles in the box, Marquez steps on his foot in his attempt to stop him, and a penalty is called. That's how penalties are supposed to work. Robben overselling it means as little as Messi ridiculously falling to the ground after Wellington grabbed his face last year.

Beating a dead horse here, I know, but man...this is one of those narratives that not only refuses to die, but has almost become a kind of "common sense."

Lmfao!!

No one has responded but ill ask again, is anyone making a ligamx/futbol thread? Osorio ? I'm down to make a quick one and have one up by tomorrow or Friday when LigaMx starts.

I think there should be some sort of "North American Football Thread." A Liga MX thread would probably get very little action by itself and the footy thread is really only used for European leagues.

NoRéN

Klinnsman must be happy as fuck right now. That Mexico-panama game got the attention away from him losing to Jamaica at home.

andycapps

Didn't get a chance to chime in last night, but what an embarrassing result for the US. Horrible defense came back to bite us. The first goal I'll admit was just a nice strike. The second free kick was ridiculous, the wall didn't even jump to try to block the shot. I'm not really sold on about half the US team... Not a huge Dempsey fan but he's been playing pretty well. Bradley is great, Johannsen is improving every game, Fabian Johnson is solid, Yedlin is great, Bedoya is okay, Guzan is a decent keeper. But Beckerman, Zardes, Alvarado, etc.

At least now Mexico got the last laugh after so many "No era penal".

Unfortunately for Panama they had to be in the receiving end.

I understand their frustration but, it is just the Gold Cup.
Last laugh against who? This isn't an eye for an eye situation. If anything it continously shows how faulty these ref calls can be.

I think there should be some sort of "North American Football Thread." A Liga MX thread would probably get very little action by itself and the footy thread is really only used for European leagues.
There's already a thread for MLS. Maybe make a thread for all of the western hemisphere, that way the thread can grt enough traction and not have a bunch of slow moving threads.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I can't believe Guardado publicly admitted that the thought of purposely missing the pk crossed his mind. I'm surprised it even crossed his mind. The Mexican players and coaches have handled this well though, they don't deserve any scorn. The fans though...

I can't believe Guardado publicly admitted that the thought of purposely missing the pk crossed his mind. I'm surprised it even crossed his mind. The Mexican players and coaches have handled this well though, they don't deserve any scorn. The fans though...
Yes. Miguel Herrera already said that they didn't deserve the victory and that the first penalty wasn't one.

Panama's head coach also said that the mexican players and coaching staff were clean and shouldn't be dragged through the mud for this, but that the higher ups was a different story.

It's hard to believe so many people are still convinced that wasn't a legitimate penalty. Robben dribbles in the box, Marquez steps on his foot in his attempt to stop him, and a penalty is called. That's how penalties are supposed to work. Robben overselling it means as little as Messi ridiculously falling to the ground after Wellington grabbed his face last year.

Beating a dead horse here, I know, but man...this is one of those narratives that not only refuses to die, but has almost become a kind of "common sense."

When Miguel Herrera returned to Mexico from the World Cup, he spoke with the FIFA referee for that game and he admitted that it was not a penalty.
He said as much during the press conference after this last game.

Yes. Miguel Herrera already said that they didn't deserve the victory and that the first penalty wasn't one.

Panama's head coach also said that the mexican players and coaching staff were clean and shouldn't be dragged through the mud for this, but that the higher ups was a different story.

When Miguel Herrera returned to Mexico from the World Cup, he spoke with the FIFA referee for that game and he admitted that it was not a penalty.
He said as much during the press conference after this last game.

Yeah Mexico did nothing wrong. This wasn't a case of diving or faking an injury. This was all referee

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You both are right, on the big scheme. I just don't like at all watching this joke of a team put together in order to sell team kits and get more Mexicans into paying a lot for crap games. Today it finally hit me, this play is just the America FC (I said that before), the play the same, they won against small team, and win cheating against the better teams.

You just wait, they will try to pull the same crap against in the WC Qualifiers: barely qualifying, and then "asking" for help to "that" team.

Chill, man. El fútbol es pura chunga.

While I'm still in the #NoEraPenal camp, that Panamanian player knew what he was doing when he fell in the direction of the ball. He was firmly in the ground, then he started getting up but knew he didn't have time, so he fell again. The other defender or the goal keeper had a fair chance of getting to the ball without him doing that.

https://vine.co/v/e6Y7FMZnPLq

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Didn't get a chance to chime in last night, but what an embarrassing result for the US. Horrible defense came back to bite us. The first goal I'll admit was just a nice strike. The second free kick was ridiculous, the wall didn't even jump to try to block the shot. I'm not really sold on about half the US team... Not a huge Dempsey fan but he's been playing pretty well. Bradley is great, Johannsen is improving every game, Fabian Johnson is solid, Yedlin is great, Bedoya is okay, Guzan is a decent keeper. But Beckerman, Zardes, Alvarado, etc.

Age has finally caught up to Beckerman is all, we need a new number six. Alvarado has a lot of growing to do, he shouldn't be starting though. Zardes doesn't have the first touch for international play and I have no damn idea why we bring Chandler along. The team has a decent spine, we just need to fill out the wings properly. It's the same problem we had at the World Cup, our attack is too central and we're not getting enough runs into the box often enough. Plus it'd really help us out if Jozy could stay healthy for one of these big tournaments.

Guys, coworker just dropped a huge one on me. And he also said that the Panama player fell on purpose towards the ball? No Mexican player pushed him? I gotta see this again. If that's the case then, well yeah, purposely stopping the ball from rolling would be a foul.

What do you think?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys, coworker just dropped a huge one on me. And he also said that the Panama player fell on purpose towards the ball? No Mexican player pushed him? I gotta see this again. If that's the case then, well yeah, purposely stopping the ball from rolling would be a foul.

What do you think?

Penalty still seems way too harsh for what we see. Even Herrera said it wasn't a penalty and it went in his favor.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Penalty still seems way too harsh for what we see. Even Herrera said it wasn't a penalty and it went in his favor.

Even if you dont believe he threw himself on the ball.

He's ultimately responsible for keeping his danm balance. He wasnt pushed or tripped.

Even if you dont believe he threw himself on the ball.

He's ultimately responsible for keeping his danm balance. He wasnt pushed or tripped.

Its fresh sod laid over artificial turf.

Do you know what happens to players who attempt a 180 change in direction at high speed while playing on sod laid over artificial turd?

Well, if we are being honest it should have been a foul on the Mexican player before we even got to that point. I also don't think he in anyway intentionally played the ball with his arm, so it shouldn't have been a penalty anyway. I am also still not totally convinced that the Mexican player wasn't offside on the the second PK.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico vs Panama is underway in the Pan American semifinals... and Mexico scores in two minutes.

Uruguay beat Brazil earlier in the other semifinal.

NoRéN

Ran into the dudes I always bet with at the bar nearby so I asked them how they felt about the way their team made it to the final yesterday.

Of course they couldn't answer without a dig at me.

"Not a win you could be proud of. Still, better than losing to Jamaica!"

Quick-witted for a bunch of pensioners.

Blue Lou

CONCACAF Statement regarding official requests from Costa Rica Football Federation and Panama Football Federation

"CONCACAF has received the official requests from the Panamanian Football Federation and Costa Rican Football Federation and will review them carefully. The confederation takes these claims extremely seriously and will look into them immediately. As a first step toward addressing the request, this matter has been added to the agenda of tomorrow's CONCACAF Executive Committee meeting for discussion.”

What requests were these?

Edit:

Costa Rica want several people removed from their position:

http://fedefutbolcr.com/fedefutbol-exige-cambios-en-concacaf/

Bing translation:

San Jose, July 21, 2015

Mr. Alfredo Hawit.
Executive Committee Chairman of CONCACAF

Dear Sir:

The Costa Rican Football Federation presents to you as President of CONCACAF formal protest by the performance of the referees in this Gold Cup which takes place in the United States.

We consider that Costa Rica was directly affected by the bad work of the arbitrators and present how test, an analysis of the irregularities which occurred in the matches of our national team, in search of a clear and forceful response on his part and of the Executive Committee of that body.

We want to know about the actions that will take with the arbitrators involved in all played controversies that have occurred, not only with our selection, but also with other selections area and mostly Central American.

It is necessary to take drastic decisions already in search that the performances of the referees don't influence on the results of the matches of the qualifying process for the Olympics, Russia 2018 World Championship and in general competitions and parties that are under the Organization delegate to CONCACAF:

One of the most important aspects in which has been insisting FIFA and its confederations, there is always the "Fair Play" or "Fair play", but this should not be seen only as a fulfillment of the players, technical bodies and leaders, but must also exist within the arbitration of the area and by what happened in the Gold Cup that principle has been called into question with any of the proceedings of the arbitral bodies.

We reiterate that this note of protest is you get a clear and forceful response to our concerns and requests to be indicated later.

Then we will detail clear mistakes and determinants that handicapped our national team and attached them to the respective videos and opinions of professionals:

• Match Costa Rica vs El Salvador, the U.S. referee Jair Marrufo said an alleged lack of Bryan Ruiz 90 + 2 which only he saw and on that play the El Salvador national team scored the goal of the tie.

• Also the work of the Honduran Héctor Rodríguez, who led the party between Canada and Costa Rica in Toronto of inexplicable way left of sanctioning a criminal at the last minute due to lack on Joel Campbell. These results determined the positions that teams would be in the Group and to which team they could face in the quarterfinals. When these faults occurred to other parties and directly affecting our selection, if they sanctioned it.

• However, despite these two arbitration serious flaws in the aforementioned meetings, Sunday July 19 in the game by quarter-finals between Costa Rica and Mexico referee Walter López and his assistant Eric Boria performance was disastrous and its decisions were decisive in the outcome. The 118-minute selection of Mexico Oribe Peralta striker committed misconduct behind artful way about Elias Aguilar, which warranted direct red card and just admonished him. Our player Aguilar today presents an esquince grade 2 that has sidelined, while Oribe Peralta to the 122 minute simulated a foul in the area, and the referee Lopez, with the complicity of his Assistant Referee whistled criminal, when the right thing was to admonish him for pretending. It is clear that you as a result of such error, by not using other words, the selection of Mexico went on to the semifinals.

These arbitral errors that were committed against our national team, joined those who in the past have harmed us so specific and it is important to recall some of them:

• One of the more unfortunate is submitted to the arbitration of the area level, had as its star attraction the Salvadoran referee Joel Aguilar Chicas, who so far unexplained, allowed to be played the engagement between United States and Costa Rica on March 22, 2013 in

Colorado in the middle of a snowstorm that even allowed that the field lines and even more would be incredible within the field of play, while the party in dispute, there were people trying to get snow with shovels just to give the impression that you could play. This gave him around the world and still speaks of it.

• Another sad episode happened two minutes from the end of the match between Costa Rica and El Salvador, on 8 June 2012, when the López brothers (Walter and Gerson) overturned a legitimate notation of Costa Rican striker Oscar Rojas, who took advantage of a center of José Salvatierra and scored but Assistant Gerson López raised his pennant by determining that the front was in position in a wrong decision.

• A year earlier, on January 23, 2011, at the end of the Uncaf Cup in Panama, played between Costa Rica and Honduras, the referee Walter López allowed rough-and-tumble play of the Hondurans and left sanction two clear penalties, aside from ejecting the Costa Rican Defender Dario Delgado.

All these cases that have affected clearly to our selection and others that have happened to the area selections, currently have the image and credibility of CONCACAF in question in the sporting field, but above all have debunked the "Fair Play" or "Fair play" since the media around the world have cast doubt on the honesty of the same.

Based on this, we believe that it is time to take strong determinations, so Costa Rica asked to be very close to the start of the playoffs to the Russia 2018 World Championship the following:

1. requiring the CONCACAF Executive Committee to request the waiver to all members of the refereeing Commission which is currently acting.

2 proceed to dismiss the arbitration Technical Commission, which is responsible for the appointment of the arbitral bodies for different matches that are played in the area.

3 to Costa Rica referees and assistants, Jair Marrufo, Walter López, Gerson López, Eric Boria or Joel Aguilar Chicas, not are appointed him to no or friendly game or elimination or any competition organized by CONCACAF or FIFA.

4 preferably in qualifying matches of the cup of the world 2018 Russia CONMEBOL arbitrators are appointed us.

I want to end indicating that as well the coach of Panamá Sr. Hernán Darío Gómez said in his press conference, players and technical bodies of the different selections that play this Cup have no responsibility in these situations. One can understand that referees are human beings subject, like everyone else, to make mistakes, but apparently in this Gold Cup cannot enter into this argument.

With all consideration and esteem,

Rafael Vargas Brenes
Secretary General
Costa Rican Football Federation

"CC: Mr. Sunil Gulati, Chairman Committee on arbitration CONCACAF."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom