• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra is Back Again in Operation Galuga

Drizzlehell

Banned
Also the makers of the excellent Contra 4. Your point?
joke-not-getting-the-joke.gif

digdug2

While the art design isn't exactly top notch, I'm pretty fucking stoked for a fleshed-out remake of the original Contra.

00_Zer0

I honestly don't like the way this looks. Something feels so off and cheap about it.
I think Wayforward must have different teams, considering that some of their 2.5D and 2D games look brilliant. I look at games like Shantae and River City Girls and am impressed and then look at their other output like Spidersaurs and cringe a little.

I have a feeling this game is from the Spidersaurs team, based on the cheese factor of the graphics. This game will probably have the gameplay their, but the art style isn't appealing at all. Even Shattered Soldiers 2.5D graphics had a grittiness and style that this one lacks. Even still, I will probably pick this up if the gameplay is there and it ends up on Steam.

UnNamed

Banned
The art style is terrible.

I liked the twin stick Contra, it's a pity it runs like shit and shader/textures are horrible. It's a good game after all.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A new Contra: Operation Galuga playable demo is up on Steam.

Here's my quick thoughts:

"I'm 51 and felt like a kid on a Christmas morning in the 1980s installing the Contra: Operation Galuga(OG is fitting...the "original gangsta") demo.

Wayforward and Konami have given us a carefully crafted love letter to the original game. Iconic music, spot on play control(controls/jumping must be precise and I'm happy to report they are), pseudo 2D/3D side scrolling/parallax action goodness and graphics that get the job done(not super overwhelming where it would be hard to see the bullets and enemies but a solid, good looking engine/graphics style for the game) Oh and things blow up really good.

I've already played enough of the demo. I'm on a "black out" now as I want to go into the full game avoiding spoilers, levels, etc. I've seen/played enough to know Wayforward and Konami have a great game in Contra: OG waiting for us.

As I previously mentioned to Capcom in one of their questionaires, I also want Konami to start returning to their "dormant"/under used/forgotten IPs.

Hopefully we'll get a new 2D Castlevania from Konami and Wayforward next. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Check out the Contra: OG demo!"

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
A new Contra: Operation Galuga playable demo is up on Steam.

Here's my quick thoughts:

"I'm 51 and felt like a kid on a Christmas morning in the 1980s installing the Contra: Operation Galuga(OG is fitting...the "original gangsta") demo.

Wayforward and Konami have given us a carefully crafted love letter to the original game. Iconic music, spot on play control(controls/jumping must be precise and I'm happy to report they are), pseudo 2D/3D side scrolling/parallax action goodness and graphics that get the job done(not super overwhelming where it would be hard to see the bullets and enemies but a solid, good looking engine/graphics style for the game) Oh and things blow up really good.

I've already played enough of the demo. I'm on a "black out" now as I want to go into the full game avoiding spoilers, levels, etc. I've seen/played enough to know Wayforward and Konami have a great game in Contra: OG waiting for us.

As I previously mentioned to Capcom in one of their questionaires, I also want Konami to start returning to their "dormant"/under used/forgotten IPs.

Hopefully we'll get a new 2D Castlevania from Konami and Wayforward next. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Check out the Contra: OG demo!"

Demo on steam only? What a braindead decision. Fk that.

Beechos

Eewww artstyle is absolutely horrendous. Who in their right minds think this sort of art style will attract people to play the game. Do devs use this type of artstyle to hit performance targets?

Holammer

Eewww artstyle is absolutely horrendous. Who in their right minds think this sort of art style will attract people to play the game. Do devs use this type of artstyle to hit performance targets?
Probably, also because it's cheap. It could look like Arc's Guilty Gear Xrd if they had the time/money and expertise.

00_Zer0

I honestly don't like the way this looks. Something feels so off and cheap about it.
It's does look cheap, but this is the same studio who created Contra 4 and some of the same devs are working on this. I look at how great Contra 4 looked and all the Shantae games and wish the graphics were up to that level. They even helped with touching up the graphics to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and that looks good too. So there's no excuse for cheap/generic/cheesy looking graphics when the team involved is capable of so much more...but who knows maybe they didn't get much money from Konami to do this? As long as it plays like Contra and is fun I will be buying the game on Steam. I can eek out better resolution on there than the Switch, so here's hoping to a competent game

kunonabi

Why not high end regular art (regular 2D art but not specifically pixel art) ? or is pixel art preferred for some reason? (asking for research reasons)
Because non-pixel art usually ends up being shitty flash-looking stuff or ugly marionette animation more often than not. It really shouldn't be that way but it is what it is.

midnightAI

Because non-pixel art usually ends up being shitty flash-looking stuff or ugly marionette animation more often than not. It really shouldn't be that way but it is what it is.
Well that's the fault of the developer really, pixel art can look the same if done incorrectly. Part of that issue is that instead of using animation frames drawn by hand many now use bones based animation, which is smooth but can look weird (hence the flash like look). For example, would Cuphead be better with pixel art? (again, I just want to know what people prefer really)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why not high end regular art (regular 2D art but not specifically pixel art) ? or is pixel art preferred for some reason? (asking for research reasons)
I've nothing against regular 2D art, I just love modern highly detailed and animated pixel art more:messenger_relieved:
But I guess it depends on how this regular 2D art looks and how well it's made, cuz not every regular 2D art looks great or even good. I can give you some examples of great 2D art in games if you want.

I mean, I know that making astounding looking pixel art is extremely difficult, time and money consuming af, just like making a blend of 3D and traditional hand drawn anime art in Suzume for example, where you can barely even tell that they're using 3D animation, but that's why people such as myself love this so much.

Furthermore, pixel art just ads a lot more charm to the game than regular 2D art, plus, if you're making pixel art game, which is not necessarily using highly detailed pixels and animation, you don't have to work as hard, unlike when you're making a game regular 2D art which in most cases will look like shit or at the very worst - flash-like crap.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I've nothing against regular 2D art, I just love modern highly detailed and animated pixel art more:messenger_relieved:
But I guess it depends on how this regular 2D art looks and how well it's made, cuz not every regular 2D art looks great or even good. I can give you some examples of great 2D art in games if you want.

I mean, I know that making astounding looking pixel art is extremely difficult, time and money consuming af, just like making a blend of 3D and traditional hand drawn anime art in Suzume for example, where you can barely even tell that they're using 3D animation, but that's why people such as myself love this so much.

Furthermore, pixel art just ads a lot more charm to the game than regular 2D art, plus, if you're making pixel art game, which is not necessarily using highly detailed pixels and animation, you don't have to work as hard, unlike when you're making a game regular 2D art which in most cases will look like shit or at the very worst - flash-like crap.
Cool, I was just curious as I used to be a pixel artist years ago, started on the Amiga, even worked on an unreleased game but was also heavily involved in the demo scene. I have moved away from pixel art and gone more towards a more detailed higher resolution art (although still use my pixel art skills for some fine details especially when working on sprites). I am working on some concept art currently for my next project (not saying anything about it for now and don't want to derail the thread but it will have a Contra like feel to it mixed with some Turrican 2 as that is my all time favourite game).

But anyway, back on topic, I see this trend of changing the 2D art style for 2D/2.5D games and changing it to 3D and I think its mostly a horrid look (although the new Prince of Persia isnt too bad)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Cool, I was just curious as I used to be a pixel artist years ago, started on the Amiga, even worked on an unreleased game but was also heavily involved in the demo scene. I have moved away from pixel art and gone more towards a more detailed higher resolution art (although still use my pixel art skills for some fine details especially when working on sprites). I am working on some concept art currently for my next project (not saying anything about it for now and don't want to derail the thread but it will have a Contra like feel to it mixed with some Turrican 2 as that is my all time favourite game).

But anyway, back on topic, I see this trend of changing the 2D art style for 2D/2.5D games and changing it to 3D and I think its mostly a horrid look (although the new Prince of Persia isnt too bad)
Looking forward to whatever you're helping to make.

But back to the topic - They did the same with the previous Contra game which was terrible. Granted, it wasn't made by WayForward and I've nothing against WayForward. But I think 3D gfx in Capcom games like 2,5D Bionic Commando and Strider looks amazing top to bottom, but I just can't imagine Contra with 3D gfx and something like Blazing Chrome and Huntdown is what they should've looked into for reference and inspiration :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

NT80

Looking forward to whatever you're helping to make.

But back to the topic - They did the same with the previous Contra game which was terrible. Granted, in wasn't made by WayForward and I've nothing against WayForward. But I think 3D gfx in Capcom games like 2,5D Bionic Commando and Strider looks amazing top to bottom, but I just can't imagine Contra with 3D gfx and something like Blazing Chrome and Huntdown is what they should've looked into for reference and inspiration :messenger_relieved:
Blazing Chrome and Huntdown look great. It would've been nice if it'd been done in that style.
While it may look a bit rough the game plays really good from my little try of the demo as I would expect from Wayforward.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
What a difference going from that input delayed 30 fps crapfest on Switch to silky smooth 165 fps buttsexactionfest on PC. Not that I'd pay full price for it, but jetpacking around as a robot with perks equipped destroying everything in my path was actually pretty fun!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Blazing Chrome and Huntdown look great. It would've been nice if it'd been done in that style.
While it may look a bit rough the game plays really good from my little try of the demo as I would expect from Wayforward.
Blazing Chrome is awesome. Highly recommend

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I like the demo of Contra Operation Galuga. The graphics aren't great but they don't bother me either. Gameplay feels good. And the Probotectors are in the game as well. This is a proper retake on the original game.

Doomtrain

It's does look cheap, but this is the same studio who created Contra 4 and some of the same devs are working on this. I look at how great Contra 4 looked and all the Shantae games and wish the graphics were up to that level. They even helped with touching up the graphics to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and that looks good too. So there's no excuse for cheap/generic/cheesy looking graphics when the team involved is capable of so much more...but who knows maybe they didn't get much money from Konami to do this? As long as it plays like Contra and is fun I will be buying the game on Steam. I can eek out better resolution on there than the Switch, so here's hoping to a competent game
The art style is very likely what Konami requested. That's the case with most projects like this, where the IP is owned and published by a separate studio from the developer.

dcx4610

It at least looks Contra. I'll pick it up. Not sure about the cut scenes and some of the character choices but it still looks close enough.

If it's anywhere close to Contra 4 on the DS (which got it right), I'll be happy.

Since Bill and Lance are supposed to be Arnold and Stallone, this was a missed opportunity to have the female characters look like Ripley and Sarah Connor.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's more of the lack of cohesion. Some things looks out of place or superimposed.

Svejk

Tried the demo on both PS4 and PS5. PS4 version runs like shit stained cheeks; chuggy 30fps and slow ass loading. PS5 version blazes. Would like both versions, but definitely not paying for 2. Need a confirmation if I get the PS4 version, it'll upgrade to the PS5 version for free. Guess we'll see. Good stuff otherwise. WayForward knows their shit.

SpiceRacz

I feel confident in saying this will be the best Contra since 4. It plays beautifully. Feels and looks like Contra. The art style/graphics are more forgivable when you're actually playing it.

bumpkin

Tried the demo on Switch and it crushed my excitement for the full game. I don’t love the art style and the performance is spotty (several weird hitches).

00_Zer0

I know demos aren't the final product but the chances of me double dipping for a Switch version is zero percent. There are hitches in the demo and the framerate is stuck at 30 fps, yet somehow it dips below that on occasion. The controls feel laggy and unresponsive and I'm sure there is input lag happening in the Switch version. I haven't tried the Steam demo yet, but I heard it's capable of running 120 fps so if I buy any version of the game I will be buying the PC version.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I haven't tried the Steam demo yet, but I heard it's capable of running 120 fps so if I buy any version of the game I will be buying the PC version.

It's like night and day, and actually makes the game fun to play.

Top Bottom