• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

RAÏSanÏa

At a public health level, the push to declare COVID-19 an endemic disease has been most apparent in British Columbia.
In the early days of the pandemic, B.C. Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry was one of the most aggressive at locking down civil society in order to stop the virus’ spread. Some of her orders regarding long-term care homes have been credited with avoiding much of the carnage seen in Ontario and Quebec.
Now, Henry is leading the charge to have COVID-19 treated more like the flu. On Jan. 21, Henry announced a significant drawdown on quarantine measures, and effectively asked anybody with COVID-like symptoms to simply stay home until they felt better.
British Columbians “have to change our way of thinking” and get used to a reality wherein COVID-19 is treated “much like how we manage other respiratory illnesses — influenza … or enteroviruses that cause the common cold,” said Henry.
Alberta and Saskatchewan followed soon after. On Jan 24., even as COVID-19 hospitalization peaked across Saskatchewan, Premier Scott Moe said his government would not be meeting the surge with new restrictions.
Glad to see this said in the NP of all placed.
When I began posting in this thread I mentioned BC PHO doesn't like restrictions at all, but will put the hammer down when the data is there and ease up keep things open otherwise. Data driven and firm.
BC opened with Alberta last summer with lifting restrictions, but BC didn't declare the pandemic over. The quicker implementation of restrictions(by one month) saved BC from having to call in for federal aid.

RAÏSanÏa

Should have the 50,000 trucks and 1.4 million dealt with this afternoon.
Imagine being so stupid as to believe those numbers when they were being pushed. Thankfully no one's lives depends on the people that repeated it and they lost credibility.

Operation Bear Hug...LMAO...That's the 🤡🌎

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Should have the 50,000 trucks and 1.4 million dealt with this afternoon.
Imagine being so stupid as to believe those numbers when they were being pushed. Thankfully no one's lives depends on the people that repeated it and they lost credibility.

Operation Bear Hug...LMAO...That's the 🤡🌎

I'm all for truckers when it comes to the vax policy. But totally against any kind of protest that clogs up streets or highways.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That was a fast flip flop.

Quebec Premier François Legault says his government will not go ahead with a proposed tax on the unvaccinated, in order to protect "social cohesion" in the province.

Legault made the announcement at a news conference Tuesday, where he also eased restrictions on gyms and sports activities.

The tax, first announced in January by the premier, would have imposed a monetary penalty on Quebecers who are eligible but who refuse to get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Legault says while his government has a bill ready to go, he's decided not to table it after seeing "growing discontent" in the population.

"I understand that this divides Quebecers and right now we need to build bridges," said Legault. "My role is to try to bring Quebecers together to stay united as a people."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/protest-quebec-city-winter-carnival-1.6334916

Still, Legault denied that he was backing down due to demands by organizers of a protest planned for Thursday in Quebec City. He said he had already begun to have discussions "last week" about scrapping the tax.

Interim public health director Dr. Luc Boileau confirmed during the news conference that he had not been asked whether he approved of the tax.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I'm all for truckers when it comes to the vax policy. But totally against any kind of protest that clogs up streets or highways.
Holding their province hostage for a fantasy ransom and losing massive support in the process. No level of government can do what they ask and Canadians from other parts of the country don't give a shit if they impoverish their own province. Completely irrational for them to think they're helping their cause in any way. If they were thinking rationally a slowdown might have workedand kept their support and on message. Now they just look unhinged and desperate for something that's not possible to give them.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Holding their province hostage for a fantasy ransom and losing massive support in the process. No level of government can do what they ask and Canadians from other parts of the country don't give a shit if they impoverish their own province. Completely irrational for them to think they're helping their cause in any way. If they were thinking rationally a slowdown might have workedand kept their support and on message. Now they just look unhinged and desperate for something that's not possible to give them.
Honestly, the people affected the most by this were their coworkers (the 90%+ who are vaccinated and still working) who have been stuck across the border waiting to get back because of their stupid blockade. I'm actually fairly sympathetic to the argument that unvaccinated truckers should be exempt from quarantine, but these protestors are making it hard for anyone to be on their side.

RAÏSanÏa

Honestly, the people affected the most by this were their coworkers (the 90%+ who are vaccinated and still working) who have been stuck across the border waiting to get back because of their stupid blockade. I'm actually fairly sympathetic to the argument that unvaccinated truckers should be exempt from quarantine, but these protestors are making it hard for anyone to be on their side.
I'm developing some worry for the RCMP that have to deal with the scene. Getting Waco vibes from this Coutts thing. Hope it's just overactive imagination playing around from watching the standoff back then and hearing there's religious elements to the blockade.

TDiddyLive

They are literally doing the same thing the non-violent, non-criminal BLM protesters did.

RAÏSanÏa

They are literally doing the same thing the non-violent, non-criminal BLM protesters did.
Don't see anything similar listed on the wikipedia page

The biggest in memory was the climate marches and those did their thing on a schedule and left.
There's the pipeline blockade but that blockade is specifically for the pipeline and is blockading only the pipeline. Not that that doesn't piss people off too, but it's not the same as blocking the border and demanding that all their climate demands are immediately met and everyone should step down and put them in charge. Praise Gaia.

RAÏSanÏa

Here's an interesting piece of legislation from the Alberta government passed before this incident so it can't be said to have been created to "silence them" specifically.
The province also has the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act, brought into force in 2020 after widespread demonstrations in support of Indigenous rights blocked railways across the country. The latter act can bring with it fines of as much as $10,000 for a first offence if someone is blocking critical infrastructure, such as a highway.

Cyberpunkd

Childcare opened after 1 week, that was fucking hard. Just declare it flu-like already, we will get a shot and go with our lives.

RAÏSanÏa

Like looting, CHAZ and arsoning?
They did loot a soup kitchen in the East. In Alberta assaulted the RCMP, almost ran another over then struck a civilian vehicle.

Many of their plans there have been scuttled by various combinations of poor timing on their part, sickness, missing leaders, and extended lockdowns for restaurants, entertainment, museums, arts.
Yeah, extended lockdowns, the exact opposite of their intent.

The machines do make noise, but funny irony, apparently Ottawa locals are invading their chats and playing some gay country song. Before anyone reports me for "gay" the song is called Ram Ranch.
Which was kind of along something I was thinking for private businesses to use the bylaws they have to get rid of loitering kids and just play the Price is Right losing song at a deep low volume straight at the ground from height.
low frequency psyop shit.
Bum BUM bum bummmm waaaaaaaaa 🎶 constantly until they leave.

That's a weird reasoning, that border closure cause record high cases. Better now then 2020 before vaccinations and with a more deadly original or delta variant. Japan has 5% of the US deaths with an older population mostly concentrated in megacities.

RAÏSanÏa

I know it's normal in other places in the world but it's strange to most Canadians to see people and their stuff draped in so many flags. Not even that many on Canada Day. I'd add an LOL on that, but it's so odd. Would ask "who does this?" but the question answers itself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So true.

It's like when Toronto taxi drivers (and surely other cities too) were protesting downtown clogging streets when Uber came to town.

I dont live or drive downtown, but I can imagine anyone trying to move around an already busy downtown grid would be pissed off.

And I remember the fall out. A bunch of people (already pissed at high priced and smelly taxis) were like.... fuck em, we'll just take Uber more.

RAÏSanÏa

This all goes well beyond cross border mandates too, that was co-opted for other concessions involving the country unrelated to vaccines and mandates at all.
The forensics of this incident and finding all the threads involved is going to be fascinating stuff and keep hobbyists busy for awhile.

RAÏSanÏa

So the protestors did contribute to getting rid of a federal leader. They sure did showed everyone.
Interim leader is decided tonight. It'll be interesting to see if they go with a leader that appeals to the 90% of vaccinated adults who understand civics or pick a leader to appeal to the 10% unvaccinated.

RAÏSanÏa

New interim leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Undoubtedly will make the parties new positions clearer on the protests, mandates and vaccines in the coming days.
image.jpeg

Candice Bergen MP for Portage-Lisgar by the 100th Meridian

Surprising considering he just cleaned up that border mess.

Liljagare

Sweden is following Denmark, Norway and Finland and will lift all Covid imposed restrictions on february 9th. The current wave are causing alot of cases, but very few ICU cases and the number of dead have dropped, so the restrictions don't do much anymore.

Welp, there is. I am always a pessimist though, and still think we'll see another wave with new restrictions.. :p Also, time to find a work from home job, not going back to the office world!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sweden is following Denmark, Norway and Finland and will lift all Covid imposed restrictions on february 9th. The current wave are causing alot of cases, but very few ICU cases and the number of dead have dropped, so the restrictions don't do much anymore.

Welp, there is. I am always a pessimist though, and still think we'll see another wave with new restrictions.. :p Also, time to find a work from home job, not going back to the office world!
fqim4w22zy241.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

With the continuing decoupling of infection rates with hospitalization rates in smaller, highly-vaccinated (two or more doses) countries it makes sense that they'd at least give it a shot for now. Unfortunately it would still be a bad idea for a country like the US to do this, as we have nearly half the population still being, how can I put this kindly, unwise, and some large states still pretending like COVID-19 was never any kind of serious risk.

Last edited:

Leopold

We barely have any restrictions here in Israel, thank God. The new government made some questionable decisions trying to curb mingling but eventually stopped caring. I got covid a week ago, it was fine, triple vax, wtv.

RAÏSanÏa

Since a couple weeks back our province has been backing off. The folksy analogy being used is calling it a "dimmer switch" as restrictions are turned down in monitored stages through February.

The rest of the country does their own thing by province and territory due to health regions being so distinct by natural geography(distance) and bureaucratic management.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I dont follow all the covid details, but seems like lots of places are all dropping restrictions at similar times.

Sounds pretty counterintuitive to all the "OMG! Omicron variant coming to get us!" rhetoric we all got last year?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I dont follow all the covid details, but seems like lots of places are all dropping restrictions at similar times.

Sounds pretty counterintuitive to all the "OMG! Omicron variant coming to get us!" rhetoric we all got last year?
Omicron turned out to be not that deadly especially in a highly vaccinated population.

sinnergy

Words like dodo and lemming pop right in my mind .. and cliffs . Doesn’t matter what the WHO says 🤣

Story: my sister in law is double vaccinated, had COVID 8 weeks ago , even with both shots , was pretty sick . Now she got it again after 8 weeks , she is in pretty bad shape .. no prior illness .. 48 years old, looks like she now has long COVID .. not overweight either , skinny one . It’s weird shit.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The Conservative Party’s newly elected interim leader, Candice Bergen, advocated in internal discussions against asking the protesters occupying Ottawa to go home, according to an e-mail obtained by The Globe and Mail.
“I don’t think we should be asking them to go home,” reads an e-mail sent by Ms. Bergen to then leader Erin O’Toole’s senior caucus team on Monday.
“I understand the mood may shift soon. So we need to turn this into the PM’s problem. What will he take the first step to working toward ending this?” the Manitoba MP added in her note.

A Conservative Party spokesperson did not provide a response on Thursday to The Globe and Mail’s request for comment on Ms. Bergen’s stance and whether it has changed.

RAÏSanÏa

Looks like Alberta and Saskatchewan governments are capitulating to(maybe complicit with) the their supporters in Ottawa taking down mandates that were already in the works to be taken down weeks ago.

Lending the perception their supporters from Alberta and SK in the Ottawa blockades have legitimacy to tell other provinces what to do.

It'll be different when they shift to BC. BC will call in the military rather quickly after the supply chain issues we've had with natural disasters. No one is in the mood to fuck around.

We don't answer to those qoofs.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The military did Ottawa said they won't police a city. So that puts the pervitin mob back to them to deal with.

Ottawa figured out that like Kenney the mayor was sitting on his ass serving his own base and sacrificing the city.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Finnish health authority just slipped this gem out:

Translation

There is a technical error in THL's primary health care Avohilmo data, which seems to indicate an increase in malformations, cancers and vaccine side effects. The increase is not due to corona or corona vaccines, but to an error in statistics. The data is currently being corrected

Forsete

Gold Member
2nd time having the wiruz (on monday I tested positive). Nothing more than an annoying cold this time.
The first time I had it (March 2021) it was even milder.

Not vaccinated. Since I had it in March 2021 before the vaccine was widely available. My thinking was it was not necessary to get vaccinated once you've had COVID naturally.

sinnergy

2nd time having the wiruz (on monday I tested positive). Nothing more than an annoying cold this time.
The first time I had it (March 2021) it was even milder.

Not vaccinated. Since I had it in March 2021 before the vaccine was widely available. My thinking was it was not necessary to get vaccinated once you've had COVID naturally.
Good for you , great it worked out on an individual level . My sister in law on the other hand was even sick with 2 vaccinations, and got COVID right now after having it 8!weeks ago .. she is still not 100% .. Russian roulette.

Anyway all masks work : like I told you guys , years ago .

“earing any kind of mask indoors is associated with significantly better protection from coronavirus, with N95 and KN95 coverings providing the best chance of avoiding infection, according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US, the Washington Post reported.”

TDiddyLive

Anyway all masks work : like I told you guys , years ago .

“Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations.”

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

“Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations.”
Hyperbole. They are effective at blocking larger water particles that carry virus, and also curb airflow out the mouth so it doesn't project as far. Look at any fluid dynamics experiment with cloth masks.

TDiddyLive

Hyperbole. They are effective at blocking larger water particles that carry virus, and also curb airflow out the mouth so it doesn't project as far. Look at any fluid dynamics experiment with cloth masks.
You respond to everything in this topic like you are the ultimate authority yet you probably didn’t even read the article which had this in it:

Cloth masks -- encouraged earlier in the pandemic -- can filter large droplets, while more effective masks, such as N95s, can filter both large droplets and the smaller aerosols or particles potentially laden with airborne virus if infected people are present, Bromage said. A cloth face covering also has 75% inward and outward leakage, which the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists defines as the "percentage of particles entering the facepiece" and the "percentage of particles exhaled by a source exiting the facepiece," respectively.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You respond to everything in this topic like you are the ultimate authority yet you probably didn’t even read the article which had this in it:

Cloth masks -- encouraged earlier in the pandemic -- can filter large droplets, while more effective masks, such as N95s, can filter both large droplets and the smaller aerosols or particles potentially laden with airborne virus if infected people are present, Bromage said. A cloth face covering also has 75% inward and outward leakage, which the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists defines as the "percentage of particles entering the facepiece" and the "percentage of particles exhaled by a source exiting the facepiece," respectively.
Triggered much? Going by what you quoted, that a cloth face covering can filter large droplets don't provide a perfect seal is exactly in line with what I posted and does demonstrate that they actually ARE more than mere facial decorations which makes that phrase hyperbole.

Top Bottom