• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop |OT| The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

On episode 2 at 17:39 does anyone else get a noticeable visual glitch? Looks like there was a hiccup that wasn't quite ironed out on the encode.

It's a known bug. They're going to send out replacement discs for people that ask for them, though I assume that means to people in the UK and not anyone abroad that ordered. It never hurts to try though.

Blader

Bebop has a really fantastic first episode. I think a lot of anime have weak "pilots" because they cram so much into the opener, but I think Asteroid Blues is one of the show's better episodes, especially the end -- Spike chasing after Julia Katerina, "I'll never see Mars," and dat Road to the West.

Tokubetsu

Bebop has a really fantastic first episode. I think a lot of anime have weak "pilots" because they cram so much into the opener, but I think Asteroid Blues is one of the show's better episodes, especially the end -- Spike chasing after Julia Katerina, "I'll never see Mars," and dat Road to the West.

Yep! It sets the tone for the rest of the show perfectly. You get some lighter comedic stuff, action stuff and then you get that somber ending.

Anyone who hasn't seen Samurai Champloo should definitely check it out. It has a couple of the best moments I've ever seen in anime. Bebop and Champloo are my #1 and #2 all-time favorites.

javac

Anyone who hasn't seen Samurai Champloo should definitely check it out. It has a couple of the best moments I've ever seen in anime. Bebop and Champloo are my #1 and #2 all-time favorites.

I'm ashamed to say I all haven't checked it out properly myself :$

Marathon it ASAP.

302453.jpg

Episode 8 is a pinnacle.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really watch many of the anime shows I used to watch, but this is one of the few exceptions. Been at least a few years since the last time I watched it, so I might have to rewatch soon.

It's really fantastic. I'm not sure if I'll rebuy it since I already own it on DVD (I have the Remix Complete Collection version), but it sure looks clean in those shots in the OP.

I also haven't seen Samurai Champloo. Maybe I should fix that someday.

Yep! It sets the tone for the rest of the show perfectly. You get some lighter comedic stuff, action stuff and then you get that somber ending.

Beyond that, it is pretty much the entire series played out over one episode. The foreshadowing involved is impeccable.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just realised that I've never seen "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Metal Queen".

I'd say both of those are actually lesser episodes, but it's been so long I might be forgetting some parts of them.

Sympathy for the Devil is a pretty dark and interesting one, but what I didn't like was
how it felt more "fantasy" with the immortal demon kid and Spike using a "magic bullet" to kill him
. It didn't really fit with the rest of the series to me.

And Heavy Metal Queen just seemed more filler-ish than most of the episodes. I don't remember it having a lot of character development for the main cast or tie into any of their own stories very much, but again, it's been a while so I could be mistaken.

Blader

I think I might actually like Champloo more; it's just a hell of a lot more fun, and I think (dub-wise) the acting and interaction between the three leads is even better than in Bebop.

Archon473

I insist on watching Samurai Champloo in Japanese, and for that I recommend the Anime Forever fan subs.

I insist on watching Samurai Champloo in Japanese, and for that I recommend the Anime Forever fan subs.

I like it dubbed. Preference is usually based on which one I've seen first, but Champloo's dub is fine. Kids on the Slope, on the other hand, has a terrible dub.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Man, the Japanese Limited Edition have some awesome cover art. It looks so retro, too. I'd get it in an instant if it had English audio.

WMUafJ5.jpg

sSUS4aq.jpg

Fjordson

Man, the Japanese Limited Edition have some awesome cover art. It looks so retro, too. I'd get it in an instant if it had English audio.

WMUafJ5.jpg

sSUS4aq.jpg
Woow. Would buy in a second if got released over here.

Why oh why has nothing come to the states =[ the show is pretty popular here I thought, it's unfair man.

Archon473

I like it dubbed. Preference is usually based on which one I've seen first, but Champloo's dub is fine. Kids on the Slope, on the other hand, has a terrible dub.

That's exactly my reasoning, haha. My first time watching SC was an episode in Japanese. When I went to a friend's and saw episodes of Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop back-to-back, I couldn't wrap my head around Mugen and Spike having the same voice. So, I like SC in Japanese and love Cowboy Bebop in English.

Just saw the bebop movie for the first time today, I really liked it. Dealt with a lot of the same themes as the series while still feeling different. What's the general concensus on it?

Woow. Would buy in a second if got released over here.

Why oh why has nothing come to the states =[ the show is pretty popular here I thought, it's unfair man.

Bandai always does this, and it's highly unlikely it will ever come stateside. They released the GITS series on blu-ray back in 2009 and have a re-release of the same four volume sets coming next month. It never landed stateside either and given the price ($700), never will. Although the GITS set does sport English dub, but at the price of no TrueHD audio.

Strike

Just saw the bebop movie for the first time today, I really liked it. Dealt with a lot of the same themes as the series while still feeling different. What's the general concensus on it?
Good. Basically an extra long episode. Animation and fights live up high standards set by the series. Looks fantastic on blu-ray.

Decado

Good. Basically an extra long episode. Animation and fights live up high standards set by the series. Looks fantastic on blu-ray.

wasn't there an issue with the US blu-ray that made it inferior to the japanese one?

EDIT: ah, it's the audio. The US version is stereo while the japanese is lossless 5.1.

Raitaro

I'll definitely be buying the UK bluray release, so thanks for the reminder OP. I was thinking about re-watching Cowboy Bebop again this year, so this release pretty much came out at the exact time I needed it to.

On a more personal note, this series is heavily connected to my memories of my father and our time together after his divorce from my mom. Allow me to share this with you.

Back then, when DVD players were still new, my father and I often made a special trip to an import DVD store that sold American DVD's in Eindhoven (The Netherlands). Here is where I rediscovered my love for anime (and animation) after having been introduced to it by my dad as a child, though often without knowing that they were (partly) of Japanese origin (as was the case with tv shows and VHS movies/OVA such as Akira, Techno Police 21C, Samurai Pizza Cats, Alfred J. Kwak, The Last Unicorn, Transformers, Patlabor, Guyver, Ultraman, Swan Lake, Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, et cetera).

Even though the DVD's were very expensive back then, with the help of my father I still managed to collect Vision of Escaflowne, Lain, Macross Plus, Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal and - indeed - Cowboy Bebop. (Man, those first few years of releases were full of significant series now that I think about it as Evangelion, Trigun, Outlaw Star and Berserk were also released around that time.)

Cowboy Bebop definitely became my favorite out of those, and has remained so ever since. Rarely is it the case that I as a viewer can feel completely in sync with a series or movie (up till predicting correctly which song would be used in the ending for instance), but Cowboy Bebop definitely is one of those for me. It makes me smile and cry like almost no other movie or series and it makes me feel alive and full of wonder. A big part of this, of course, is because of Kanno's incredible score.

Ever since my father died this past January, I started to go back in my head to those happier times and have started to associate this series in particular with him and our time buying it in that store, stopping at the McDrive along the way home and then watching it together in his little house in the woods where I would spend the weekend with him. Even though the timing of the DVD release and us picking it up then and there was very much coincedental, my appreciation for Cowboy Bebop has grown even more because of how I can link it to my father.

Dad, if you can read this from wherever you are now: thanks for being such a generous parent and for introducing me to movies and cartoons all those years ago. They have permanently improved my way of viewing the world and life in general, and for that I owe you big time. You led a tough life full of hardships and loneliness, but hopefully you have moved on to better things now. I miss your kindness and guidance so much, but don't worry about me as I'll try to remember that life is just a dream...and that when I wake up, I'll see you again up there Space Cowboy...

Dad, this song is for you. Gaf, thanks for reading my story.

I'll definitely be buying the UK bluray release, so thanks for the reminder OP. I was thinking about re-watching Cowboy Bebop again this year, so this release pretty much came out at the exact time I needed it to.

On a more personal note, this series is heavily connected to my memories of my father and our time together after his divorce from my mom. Allow me to share this with you.

Back then, when DVD players were still new, my father and I often made a special trip to an import DVD store that sold American DVD's in Eindhoven (The Netherlands). Here is where I rediscovered my love for anime (and animation) after having been introduced to it by my dad as a child, though often without knowing that they were (partly) of Japanese origin (as was the case with tv shows and VHS movies/OVA such as Akira, Techno Police 21C, Samurai Pizza Cats, Alfred J. Kwak, The Last Unicorn, Transformers, Patlabor, Guyver, Ultraman, Swan Lake, Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, et cetera).

Even though the DVD's were very expensive back then, with the help of my father I still managed to collect Vision of Escaflowne, Lain, Macross Plus, Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal and - indeed - Cowboy Bebop. (Man, those first few years of releases were full of significant series now that I think about it as Evangelion, Trigun, Outlaw Star and Berserk were also released around that time.)

Cowboy Bebop definitely became my favorite out of those, and has remained so ever since. Rarely is it the case that I as a viewer can feel completely in sync with a series or movie (up till predicting correctly which song would be used in the ending for instance), but Cowboy Bebop definitely is one of those for me. It makes me smile and cry like almost no other movie or series and it makes me feel alive and full of wonder. A big part of this, of course, is because of Kanno's incredible score.

Ever since my father died this past January, I started to go back in my head to those happier times and have started to associate this series in particular with him and our time buying it in that store, stopping at the McDrive along the way home and then watching it together in his little house in the woods where I would spend the weekend with him. Even though the timing of the DVD release and us picking it up then and there was very much coincedental, my appreciation for Cowboy Bebop has grown even more because of how I can link it to my father.

Dad, if you can read this from wherever you are now: thanks for being such a generous parent and for introducing me to movies and cartoons all those years ago. They have permanently improved my way of viewing the world and life in general, and for that I owe you big time. You led a tough life full of hardships and loneliness, but hopefully you have moved on to better things now. I miss your kindness and guidance so much, but don't worry about me as I'll try to remember that life is just a dream...and that when I wake up, I'll see you again up there Space Cowboy...

Dad, this song is for you. Gaf, thanks for reading my story.

Touching story, thanks for sharing it.

Jigolo

Just thought I'd say.... Although I liked Cowboy Bebop...

Samurai Champloo is my favorite between the 2 and probably my favorite anime of all time.

Cool OT btw

Question,

Anyone in the US order their copy from Amazon.co.uk with standard shipping? If so, which carrier did it arrive from (USPS, UPS, FedEx)?

My delivery estimate from Amazon.co.uk says August 9th (tomorrow), but no tracking information is provided.

Ohhhh snap, Amazon.co.uk delivery estimate was correct. The package just arrived.
Guess who's watching Bebop tonight...... this kid!

codhand

so i ordered on the 31st of July, and just got my copy from Amazon UK, it works fine on my Region A, PS3.

Win.

I doubt season 2 will make the same mistake, but this is awesome for now.

I'd say both of those are actually lesser episodes, but it's been so long I might be forgetting some parts of them.

Sympathy for the Devil is a pretty dark and interesting one, but what I didn't like was
how it felt more "fantasy" with the immortal demon kid and Spike using a "magic bullet" to kill him
. It didn't really fit with the rest of the series to me.

And Heavy Metal Queen just seemed more filler-ish than most of the episodes. I don't remember it having a lot of character development for the main cast or tie into any of their own stories very much, but again, it's been a while so I could be mistaken.
It was my least favorite for a long time, but I never considered VT's past.

Her husband was a legendary bounty hunter. She's basically living the life Julia would've lived if she'd survived. There was this official side-story written by Dai Sato (one of the show's screenwriters) about Ural Terpsichore that used to be on the official Cowboy Bebop website. It's not really necessary, but it helps explain Victoria's past. http://web.archive.org/web/20070705142837/http://www.cowboybebop.org/english/ut/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom