• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Crysis 4 set a new benchmark and take the crown for graphics king again ?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Catching UE5 is gonna be a tall order. This game is likely years away and we'll have a number of UE5 games out by then.

I have no doubt they will do their best to push the envelope, but their timing isn't as opportune as it was when Crysis came out either. UE5 will be established, plus it's a bad time for high end PC gaming, and PC games don't have the same kind of clear advantage over next gen consoles as they did when Crysis 1 came out, due in no small part to the fact fact that high end graphics cards cost as much as a used car.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
For all those thinking they've lost all talent go take a look at what they were able to achieve on the turd of hardware known as Xbox One with Ryse Son of Rome. It's staggering what they were able to achieve and that was a launch game.

You do understand that you're talking about a game released 8 years ago to argue that they still have talent today? 😂

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Absolutely not, Critek is not what it used to be.
Just look at those awful Crysis remasters, that should tell you something.

V4skunk

Banned
xP1PIxU.jpg

Crysis 3 was the best looking game in the ps3 generation alongside Crysis 2007, Crysis 2 and warhead really pushed tech and graphics to a whole new level hope crysis 4 is Next-Gen Only so do you think Crytek can do it again or they lost many talented devs worked on previous games ?

digital foundry - 2013
Where Crysis 3 really shines is on the PC, in which we are presented with a huge leap in graphical quality that gives us a tantalising glimpse of visual accomplishment on next-gen hardware "

The fact that Crysis 3 runs on console at all is a remarkable achievement, with Crytek deploying a wide range of advanced rendering techniques"

Crysis 3 on PC effectively offers a "next-gen now" experience - a preview of the level of technical prowess we should expect in the years to come from the new wave of consoles".

Crysis first released on PC. In 2007, it pushed real time rendering to new heights and spawned the memetic phrase, "but can it run Crysis?". Never had a game released that pushed hardware and engine technology so much, and never has one since."

LIRQ6fr.jpg
Y8PvmkY.jpg

5kURaii.jpg

28nQ9Sq.jpg

hZ7a898.jpg
If it isn't built for pc! Nope.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I wouldnt sell CryEngine short just yet.
It can create absolutely stunning visuals.

c8ede6208cd642f64012f541c762ec68920b7db25ec02cfd8764806286d0f0bf.webp

''

4866f7afbe8c2e9d7f357859ded8ba53ae3ec04b72a6870a152385b3163a8d29.webp

I just dont know if it comes out before any other benchmark titles so it never gets a chance to shine because we have already been spoiled by stunning titles.
FJjjv2GVkA4pG-0

sncvsrtoip

Far cry (created by crytek) and crysis 1 were graphics killers, c2 and c3 were for me disappointments, ryse was also top tier looking on premiere, studio is now shadow of their prime time

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Would these guys even have the very best technical guys still working for them? After the sheet amount of shit that's went on with this company I'd imagine all the top talent has long since left or ar least a good chunk of it, happy to be proven wrong

hlm666

Didn't a couple of their talented lead programmers head over to id software and then drop out doom 2016? Judging by the technical state of the remasters I'm not sure they filled those shoes.

Edit: memory wasn't 100% looks to be only one, but it was an important one.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Would these guys even have the very best technical guys still working for them? After the sheet amount of shit that's went on with this company I'd imagine all the top talent has long since left or ar least a good chunk of it, happy to be proven wrong
Last crysis game was like 9 years ago right

That was along time ago

Alot has change since then

People come and go all the time at any game company

Or in fact in any kind of company

TxKnight7

If it comes out on last gen... probably not.

I don't care if it's the case. I enjoyed the story and the gunfight over the graphics.
Combat is really fun in Crysis 3 hope we can still play with the bow in Crysis 4 the explosive arrows with infinite ammo on pc is just so much fun!

MadAnon

I don't think Crysis 2/3 looked all that WOW! Even gameplay wise they didn't have that first Crysis feel. Only first Crysis has ever managed to make my jaw drop and think how far ahead of everything else it looked, felt. I will always have a soft spot for the first Crysis even though many think it's a meh shooter. And I don't agree with it. For me it felt like being in a midst of a Hollywood sci-fi blockbuster. It felt like you were really on a frontline of an unfolding alien invasion. Things felt grand and epic. Not a single other game has given me even close to that feeling. Crysis 2 and 3 felt like massive stepback in scale. Didn't really like that narrow, linear, guerrilla style of gameplay.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I have my doubts. They have yet to surpass Crysis / Crysis Warhead. The 2nd & 3rd entries were a setback in regards to sandbox design and physics, they overshot the linear aspects imo.

For Crysis to become the darling once again, this forthcoming entry would have to set the bar for sandbox gameplay.
The visuals will be fantastic, I've no doubt, although they'll have to pull off more to garner that sort of praise imo. The landscape has since become more competitive.

Last edited:

Reallink

I don't think Crysis 2/3 looked all that WOW! Even gameplay wise they didn't have that first Crysis feel. Only first Crysis has ever managed to make my jaw drop and think how far ahead of everything else it looked, felt. I will always have a soft spot for the first Crysis even though many think it's a meh shooter. For me it felt like being in a midst of a Hollywood sci-fi blockbuster. Not a single other game has given me even close to that feeling.

Replicating Crysis 1 would mean creating a game that literally wouldn't even run on the just released RTX3050. I had an 8500GT at the time and IIRC it ran Crysis at around 10FPS on High 720p (not even Very High). Dropping everything to Potato mode and lowering resolution barely passed 30FPS. Nothing even approaching Crysis 1 will ever happen again.

No it won't. In order to do that Crysis 4 had to look as good as the Unreal Engine 5 "The Matrix" experience and they simply don't have the budget for all those photogrammetry assets.

TxKnight7

Many left crytek after Ryse some of them working on squadron 42 now i think.

Drew1440

Crysis was well optimized for the time. At the time most people were switching from 1 CPU core to 2 cores.
And the thought at the time was that IPC and clock speeds would rise considerably.
They must have bought into the Pentium 4 Netburst hype with 10Ghz CPU speeds.
Though I wonder how well it runs on today's top end hardware given the IPC improvements.

TxKnight7

I have my doubts. They have yet to surpass Crysis / Crysis Warhead. The 2nd & 3rd entries were a setback in regards to sandbox design and physics, they overshot the linear aspects imo.

For Crysis to become the darling once again, this forthcoming entry would have to set the bar for sandbox gameplay.
The visuals will be fantastic, I've no doubt, although they'll have to pull off more to garner that sort of praise imo. The landscape has since become more competitive.
They should have kept it pc exclusive

What's the point of a new Crysis game if it doesn't? That's the M.O. It doesn't have to be miles above the rest.. but it -should- be the best looking fps when it's released.

Beechos

Hey why not its not like theres anything mindblowing coming out anytime soon besides maybe hellblade 2 but thats still awhiles away. Everyone seems to think UE5 is the only engine capable of making those type of graphics. There will be plenty of engines capable of UE5 lvl of graphics. They just happen to be the 1st one to show theirs off.

LordOfChaos

If you never played other games since Crysis 1, sure.

Crytek devs admit the reason for 'Can run Crysis?' meme was the bad cpu use/multicore from Cryengine 2.

Even if they use the last Cryengine version, the engine inself stopped in time.

They bet on faster single cores as the world was moving to parallel multicores instead and single thread gains became slower to come by.

But that said, Crysis 1 just WAS impressive in 2007. The sequels became less impressive for the time they came out, but in 2007 a single iced over tree might have had more shaders on it than whole scenes in most other games, it did use multicore like shit but the graphics were absolutely impressive for the year too.

As far as OPs question yeah I'd have to mirror everyone else though, it's going to be far harder for company that seems to be stringing along to beat UE5 by the time this is out, they're not in their prime, but I hope this game can help them return to form.

TxKnight7

No it won't. In order to do that Crysis 4 had to look as good as the Unreal Engine 5 "The Matrix" experience and they simply don't have the budget for all those photogrammetry assets.
But the matrix is not a full game just a tech demo don't think we will see a full game like this anytime soon

many devs can make a short tech demo that could even surpass it.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
I dont know..can modern crytek afford a budget like that now?

Nope. Crysis 3 was an extremely expensive game, nearly 70 million dollars. EA as publisher. 1st party games could only dream about budgets like that in 2011. I'm sure it will be an extremely pretty game, but its not gonna have the polish and shine the previous Crysis games had.

ClosBSAS

Also let's not forget hunt showdown, that shit on PC with 3d audio is amazing. All the details.

They are a ver capable studio, they just did it wrong after warhead. Going after the cod cloud cost them

Last edited:

xRosaX

Neo Member
A part of me would love to see Crysis return to set new visual benchmarks, however the studio Crytek isnt quite what it used to be back in its prime. The studio has shutdown so many divisions and lost key members...it makes me cautious. Loved to be surprised but cautious.

WitchHunter

Banned
xP1PIxU.jpg

Crysis 3 was the best looking game in the ps3 generation alongside Crysis 2007, Crysis 2 and warhead really pushed tech and graphics to a whole new level hope crysis 4 is Next-Gen Only so do you think Crytek can do it again or they lost many talented devs worked on previous games ?

digital foundry - 2013
Where Crysis 3 really shines is on the PC, in which we are presented with a huge leap in graphical quality that gives us a tantalising glimpse of visual accomplishment on next-gen hardware "

The fact that Crysis 3 runs on console at all is a remarkable achievement, with Crytek deploying a wide range of advanced rendering techniques"

Crysis 3 on PC effectively offers a "next-gen now" experience - a preview of the level of technical prowess we should expect in the years to come from the new wave of consoles".

Crysis first released on PC. In 2007, it pushed real time rendering to new heights and spawned the memetic phrase, "but can it run Crysis?". Never had a game released that pushed hardware and engine technology so much, and never has one since."

LIRQ6fr.jpg
Y8PvmkY.jpg

5kURaii.jpg

28nQ9Sq.jpg

hZ7a898.jpg
Please, create a mother fucking picture viewer for the forum.

What was done to the art in the remasters?
Lighting looks wrong, volumetrics are broken. Generally the newer colors don't fit in, and I miss things like the lens flares on every particle on crysis 2 for example. Crysis 3 is barely a technical improvement at all, so the art changes are head scratching in that one as well.

Crysis 3 is overrated. It's a great looking PS3 era game, nothing more. Ryse destroyed Crysis 3.

Crysis 4 could be great looking but Crytek isnt what it used to be. The fact that their announcement trailer had no footage gives me no hope. If they had the best graphics of all time they wouldve shown them instead of hiding behind a logo.
Why hasn't MS patched Ryse for 4k on Series X? Anyone else think its bullshit that games like that and Sunset Overdrivery have never been patched?

We're still sooo far behind the PC with BC ..

Top Bottom