• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting Sugar Rapidly Improves Health Markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a sugar replacement for sweetening, I highly recommend using stevia. Not only is it a zero calorie sweetener but it is made from natural ingredients compared to other sweeteners which have very dubious ingredients.

Going of on a tangent here, but as a rule, I try to avoid food which has too many nonsensical, irrelevant ingredients in them. These are used by food companies to try and hook you on their food, especially their snacks and desserts. The document Food, Inc. seriously opened my eyes to the dangers and corruption of the food industry.

I doubt it.

It's probably better to limit things with labels in the first place!

If more people legitimately just knew how often they busted their daily allotted sugar in-take and by how much, it very much could be effective just like how low-fat, calorie counting took hold.....though obviously it was misguided and we eventually learned that sugar was the real culprit with things such as spare tire mid-sections and out of control diabetes rates

But yeah, education and a will to learn is key but that doesn't mean companies should get away with hiding shit

entremet

I've heard of people doing this and it sounds disgusting but to each their own. I see people dumping as much creamer into their coffee as well the coffee itself.

It called bullet proof coffee. Not a fan of it myself. Maybe if I did a ketogenic diet, but I don't.

I've heard of people doing this and it sounds disgusting but to each their own. I see people dumping as much creamer into their coffee as well the coffee itself.

I switched to Truvia years back

truvia.jpg

I find coffee with sugar disgusting now, especially cause you have to use so much of it

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It called bullet proof coffee. Not a fan of it myself. Maybe if I did a ketogenic diet, but I don't.

Is there any other reason besides a ketogenic diet because the idea itself makes me gag a bit. I like butter on certain things but coffee is not one I would have ever thought about.

I'll take my black thank you very much.

Helmholtz

Yeah I cut out sugar/most carbs several years ago. Lost a lot of weight and look and feel better now. It's hard for me though because I have a big sweet tooth, I occasionally have days where I just splurge on candy and stuff, but it's not very often. Another issue was diet soda, I drank way too much but recently I've cut it out of my diet again.
Nowadays I'm just working on improving my fitness, finally started to work out and exercise this year.

DjRalford

Is there any other reason besides a ketogenic diet because the idea itself makes me gag a bit. I like butter on certain things but coffee is not one I would have ever thought about.

I'll take my black thank you very much.

A coffee with butter and Double cream actually tastes like a latte, i don't have butter in mine anymore as i easily hit my fat macros without it.

Jesus, even a typical glass of milk contains up to 15 grams of sugar for fuck sake.

There is no escape. Ugh.

I believe the fat and calcium in milk may negate any of the negative effects of the lactose [sugar] and some studies have shown that high fat dairy leads to greater weight loss and other positive effects.

As a sugar replacement for sweetening, I highly recommend using stevia. Not only is it a zero calorie sweetener but it is made from natural ingredients compared to other sweeteners which have very dubious ingredients.

Going of on a tangent here, but as a rule, I try to avoid food which has too many nonsensical, irrelevant ingredients in them. These are used by food companies to try and hook you on their food, especially their snacks and desserts. The document Food, Inc. seriously opened my eyes to the dangers and corruption of the food industry.
vm8shcr.jpg

I doubt it.

It's probably better to limit things with labels in the first place!

It is, but sometimes if you're having to choose between bad options being able to choose the least bad option isn't a bad thing.

For example the grocery store near my work has no plain individual sized yogurt so it'd be nice to be able to know which of the ones with fruit or "fruit" in them has more added sugar.

Yes sugar is the worst. People have been dooming fat all those years. Turns out that was a bad idea.
But it's really hard to cut the sugar, industry just puts it into everything.
Realizing this made me crazy.

And trying to cut sugar from a lot of things has also proved challenging for me personally since my palate got so used to the sweetness.

Korigama

Sugar also kills collagen and therefore ages you quicker. Awful stuff.
Haven't had refined sugar or anything containing it in more than 10 years. I do not miss it at all. (I remember craving it the first couple of weeks, though).
Too many benefits to list. What I like the most is people always thinking I'm 12 years younger than I am, and that my weight never fluctuates, no matter how much I eat.
I should note that I also don't eat meat, only fish (plenty!) and I substitute chick peas and lentils for potatoes, bread, spaghetti and rice. I wish everybody could experience living with such a diet for a year, I don't think anyone would ever want to go back to their disastrous former ways.
Pretty sure I get plenty of sugar, and eat meat, potatoes, bread, pasta, and rice.

Not only do I look over a decade younger than I actually am, my problem is keeping weight on, not off (if anything, I could stand to put on more weight). This thread has been interesting for seeing how other people do things and what they can and can't get away with, though. At this point, I'm more curious as to just how much genetics factor into workable dietary habits.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Cutting out sugar and a lot of other carbs was the best health decision I ever made. I was never really overweight, but all of my extra fat melted off in short order as soon as I made the switch and my bloodwork has been off-the-charts good. Even my dentist visits have been immaculate and problem free. The most remarkable side effect is that I have never felt hunger since my body got adjusted to not being pumped with sugar. Like, obviously I still know when its time to eat, but that classic sensation of hunger where you're drawn to the kitchen looking for something - anything - to shove in your gullet completely disappeared.

As for the people asking what kind of sweeteners they can use which don't contain sugar, honestly, it's best to just go cold turkey on that stuff. Your body and your tastes will adjust in a big way. Accidentally getting a regular Coke at a restaurant instead of a Diet Coke (which I don't order very often, don't worry) is a legit shock to my taste buds. It's almost like getting a cold glass of maple syrup.

The Lamp

There's so much research like this out for so many years that I'm surprised people are still surprised by this.

I never really did exercise most of my life which has its own health risks, but my appetite, blood sugar, and health overall was always perfectly fine because I intentionally watch my simple carbs and avoid sugar.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Recent research shows that sodium isn't necessarily that bad unless you have a predisposition to hypertension.

Studies have shown that your body is pretty darn good at regulating your internal levels of almost everything you eat (fat, sodium, cholesterol, etc). Everything, except for sugar.

The reason we crave and become easily addicted to refined sugar is the innate survival mechanism we evolved over the course of human history to keep us alive in a natural environment where sweet, sugary things are very rare / hard to come across. Now that we no longer live in the wild and forage for our food, modern agriculture and food science has made it possible to eliminate that sugar scarcity that we've been shaped by via evolution in the natural environment and refined sugar availability/accessibility is at an all time high. We are killing ourselves by way of sugar convenience since our instincts are now out of sync with our new environment.

All highly processed/refined macros are shit though (including hydrogenated fats and hydrolized proteins). Don't eat them, as a rule of thumb.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It would be nice to see a longer term study, 9 days isn't really long enough to determine if this is a transient change or permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom