• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting Sugar Rapidly Improves Health Markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

What is a moderate amount of sugar though?

According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).

So basically one can of soda and you are over max for the day. And that doesn't count all the the bullshit you eat.

In my opinion moderate amount of sugar is no buendo. Unless moderate means seldom.

I think most people wouldn't even know how to define moderate.

Those are added sugars though. Just don't drink soda every day and don't eat snacks all the time and you'll do fine. But if you're at a party and drink a coke and want to eat that chocolate mousse, go ahead, you won't die of a heart attack soon. I just hate this principle that if something is bad in huge quantities, it will always be bad for you and you should avoid it at all costs. I'm in a pretty good shape, but I like the taste of some snacks too. I just eat simple food five days a week, drink mostly water and there are hardly any snacks in the house. But I'm not going to say no when I am at someone else's place.

I mostly disagree. A healthy diet comes first for me. Of course, I think both are necessary, but health starts in the kitchen. The idea that exercise is the counter balance to eating unhealthy foods is a dangerous mindset.

What I tried to say is that people shouldn't always withhold sugary things just because they are bad for you. A diet should be varied and healthy, but the occasional sweet isn't all that dangerous, especially if you exercise. Just don't go drinking a litre of soda and eating three Snickers every day for the rest of your life. Of course, if you exercise that doesn't allow you to eat McDonalds all the time, but it weakens the effect of the occasional splurge. If I do a good run I make sure I ate some fast sugars, or else I'd just faint. Maybe I go above those 150 calories of added sugar in one day, but I sure burned 600 calories too, and many of those come from the sugar already in my blood.

Alebrije

True , stopped sugar consume 6 months ago. Better glucose and other indicators on recent blood test.

Sugar is poison especially refined one.

AudioEppa

http://www.generalmills.com/~/media.../Nature_Valley/Cereal/NV_Baked_Oat_Bites.aspx

http://www.califiafarms.com/products/almondmilk/unsweetened

http://www.bolthouse.com/product/greengoodness

http://www.bolthouse.com/product/bluegoodness

Been tying to eat / drink healthy products for months now, these are some of my favorites to start the day off with. Are they good? I also mix it up between eating regular eggs and just egg whites. I'm trying to cut down on how much cheese I eat too.

I feel better overall then I use to eating fatty home cooked morning food or McDonnells. I'm also doing IF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.generalmills.com/~/media.../Nature_Valley/Cereal/NV_Baked_Oat_Bites.aspx

http://www.califiafarms.com/products/almondmilk/unsweetened

http://www.bolthouse.com/product/greengoodness

http://www.bolthouse.com/product/bluegoodness

Been tying to eat / drink healthy products for months now, these are some of my favorites to start the day off with. Are they good? I also mix it up between eating regular eggs and just egg whites. I'm trying to cut down on how much cheese I eat too.

I feel better overall then I use to eating fatty home cooked morning food or McDonnell's. I'm also doing IF.

Water and unsweetened coffee and tea are healthy drinks. Don't touch that stuff you linked. It's just sugar in a bottle with a bunch of "natural" labeling to make you think otherwise.

I would avoid the nature bars or whatever they are called, too. Try to avoid quick fixes as much as possible and cook your own food if you care about your health.

It's unlikely that cheese is doing you harm, but some people are intolerant to dairy, so that's a possibility.

I would argue that "fatty home cooked morning food," as in "high fat content breakfast" is the best meal to have if you like to eat in the morning. That is, stuff like bacon and eggs, steak and eggs, etc.

Then again, if you're doing intermittent fasting, skipping breakfast all together is probably the smarter way to go.

What if I lift weights? I struggle with hitting my macros because my appetite is apparently very small, so I use the occasional sugary drink to hit my carb targets from time to time to hit 2500+ calories.

what about sugar replacements?

They are still being researched, but they are definitely better than sugar already. Right now the debate is whether they have a negative effect on gut flora, and how much they trigger insulin response. But whatever negative effects artificial sweeteners have, they pale in comparison with the negatives in real sugar, which also damages gut bacteria and your insulin response.

Pizza vindicated. You're welcome americans.

Also, sugar after you're 12 is so strange to me. Sweet things are like once in a week thing, sugar make everything feel extremely bloated flavor wise, can't eat it at all. When i was a kid it was different i guess because i was much more active and the brain as well, but after puberty sweet things became uneatable for me, unless i'm on some chemical hunger shit.
High five.

Don't get me wrong, I love desserts (tiramisu, cheesecake, etc) but that's once every two weeks, at most. And I always eat those while drinking plenty of water.

I heard a podcast today talking about a Sugar documentary which claim that a whole bunch of studies wanted to classify Sugar as an addictive drug, but that the Sugar Association have lobbyed against it violently.

They are still being researched, but they are definitely better than sugar already. Right now the debate is whether they have a negative effect on gut flora, and how much they trigger insulin response. But whatever negative effects artificial sweeteners have, they pale in comparison with the negatives in real sugar, which also damages gut bacteria and your insulin response.

So far I don't think it has been found that Stevia has any negative effect on gut bacteria or trigger insulin response [and actually it may lower insulin response].

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I cut out soda and don't drink coffee/tea to put sugar in no problem. But this god damn fucking sweet tooth of mine is killing me. Persian sweets/ice cream will be the death of me I'm afraid. Damn added sugars to hell.

Me, my wife and children cut most sugar out of our lifestyle (we still have cheat days on occasion) late last year and can never go back. Obviously keep natural sugars in like bananas, apples, etc.
It REALLY IS that much of a game changer as far as your life and health guys.... seriously, no fucking around, quit it like now

Also, watch:

That Sugar Film and Fed Up

What if I lift weights? I struggle with hitting my macros because my appetite is apparently very small, so I use the occasional sugary drink to hit my carb targets from time to time to hit 2500+ calories.
Does it need to be a sugary drink? What about almonds or some shit? If you're exercising at all you'll be in better shape if you eat sugar, but obviously you'd be in even better shape without it.

entremet

Trying to cut out sugar sucks
Can't even enjoy a little tea without feeling guilty

For you coffee and tea drinkers, a few teaspoon of sucrose per day isn't a huge thing.

However, if you're drinking tons of cups per day and adding sugar each time, yeah.

jmdajr

Those are added sugars though. Just don't drink soda every day and don't eat snacks all the time and you'll do fine. But if you're at a party and drink a coke and want to eat that chocolate mousse, go ahead, you won't die of a heart attack soon. I just hate this principle that if something is bad in huge quantities, it will always be bad for you and you should avoid it at all costs. I'm in a pretty good shape, but I like the taste of some snacks too. I just eat simple food five days a week, drink mostly water and there are hardly any snacks in the house. But I'm not going to say no when I am at someone else's place.

What I tried to say is that people shouldn't always withhold sugary things just because they are bad for you. A diet should be varied and healthy, but the occasional sweet isn't all that dangerous, especially if you exercise. Just don't go drinking a litre of soda and eating three Snickers every day for the rest of your life. Of course, if you exercise that doesn't allow you to eat McDonalds all the time, but it weakens the effect of the occasional splurge. If I do a good run I make sure I ate some fast sugars, or else I'd just faint. Maybe I go above those 150 calories of added sugar in one day, but I sure burned 600 calories too, and many of those come from the sugar already in my blood.

Cheats are fine. Can't be the norm though. If you slack the table starts to turn! FAST.

Just cut soda folks

That is a start for sure, but unfortunately most average American food is still loaded with sugar and Americans have become pretty dependent on it (see Starbucks where a lot of the time people arent actually just ordering straight up coffee anymore), which is what big corporations want

There's a reason that till this day, you STILL don't see an actual fucking percentage next to an item's grams of sugar/suggested daily value index as opposed to everything else listed.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dropped a lot of sugar from my diet about two months ago. I already wasn't drinking soda, but I was consuming baked goods, candy, and sugary drinks. I've also tried to limit carbs and processed foods. I feel way better.

My diet mostly revolves around lean meats (fish / chicken), eggs, dairy (yogurt and cheese), fruit, veggies, nuts, and occasional grains such as whole wheat bread or rice.

I love the diet, and I'm craving sweets less and less, but the only problem I have lately is that I'm hungry as shit all the time. Dunno if it's because I'm limiting carbs, but I feel like I have to eat every second hour.

GuyKazama

Current nutrition labels don't show added sugar, so its hard to separate it out. New ones will (in 2018):

smrkxvj.png

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yes sugar is the worst. People have been dooming fat all those years. Turns out that was a bad idea.
But it's really hard to cut the sugar, industry just puts it into everything.

You cut what you can. Candy, sugared drinks, (soda, juice etc) and go from there.

Does it need to be a sugary drink? What about almonds or some shit? If you're exercising at all you'll be in better shape if you eat sugar, but obviously you'd be in even better shape without it.

Sometimes I'm so full that I cannot eat anymore, so I just drink my calories. Vast majority of my calories are still coming from whole foods.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
More sweet, sweet vindication for me against all the turkeys who've laughed at my aversion to carbs over the past few years. Ha. Fuck you, mom. I'm tired of people getting jealous of me for losing so much weight then laughing off the diet I describe to them as if I just said "9/11 was an inside job" or something.

Keep arguing with results and stay fat. Otherwise, eat your meats and get your carbs from fibrous sources. And fuck off with the liquid calories.

jmdajr

More sweet, sweet vindication for me against all the turkeys who've laughed at my aversion to carbs over the past few years. Ha. Fuck you, mom. I'm tired of people getting jealous of me for losing so much weight then laughing off the diet I describe to them as if I just said "9/11 was an inside job" or something.

Keep arguing with results and stay fat. Otherwise, eat your meats and get your carbs from fibrous sources. And fuck off with the liquid calories.
The largest I ever got was on a low fat diet. I was weight lifting at the time and omg shit was out of control.

What a fraud.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The largest I ever got was on a low fat diet. I was weight lifting at the time and omg shit was out of control.

What a fraud.

I think we should petition to have the name of the macronutrient "fat" changed to something else. Everybody around me has this idea that ?g of fat content immediately makes a food "fattening" lol. Gotta get low fat/no fat foods that supplement the the missing fat with uh... I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom