• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting Sugar Rapidly Improves Health Markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

The case against refined sugar consumption mounts.

All calories are not created equal health wise.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/wel...s/?src=twr&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=

Obese children who cut sugar from their diets saw improvements in markers of heart disease after just nine days, a study in Atherosclerosis found.

For the study, researchers evaluated 37 children ages 9 to 18 who were obese and at high risk for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes. The children were given food and drinks totaling the same number of calories, fat, protein and carbohydrates as their typical diets.

Yes sugar is the worst. People have been dooming fat all those years. Turns out that was a bad idea.
But it's really hard to cut the sugar, industry just puts it into everything.

maxcriden

Since it's a term in the OP many may not be familiar with:

NIH said:
Atherosclerosis is a disease in which plaque builds up inside your arteries. Arteries are blood vessels that carry oxygen-rich blood to your heart and other parts of your body.

Plaque is made up of fat, cholesterol, calcium, and other substances found in the blood. Over time, plaque hardens and narrows your arteries. This limits the flow of oxygen-rich blood to your organs and other parts of your body.

Atherosclerosis can lead to serious problems, including heart attack, stroke, or even death.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/atherosclerosis

Think of it as the evil Lego building block of heart disease.

entremet

Damn, and that was while eating pizza. Out of curiosity, I wonder if they were given like diet soda or whatever.
Maybe I was wrong about pizza lol. ;)

Those sugary yogurts really do damage, eh?

So many people think those are health foods sadly.

They're usually lowfat too! I like plain full fat Greek, but I don't sweeten it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yes sugar is the worst. People have been dooming fat all those years. Turns out that was a bad idea.

While salt isn't as bad as sugar, holy shit do they pump that into everything. Even health foods at stores have tons and tons of salt in them. I find it funny that low sodium options have just a little less sodium than the normal version. Its why I try to make a lot of soups and stuff myself in a crockpot because I don't add anywhere near as much salt.

They're usually lowfat too! I like plain full fat Greek, but I don't sweeten it.
Yeahh, i took a closer look at yogurt the other day and stopped buying it so much. I think it's all those low fat commercials that make you think it's a health food haha.

MilkyJoe

My brother wsa not feeling well a lot and after a bunch of tests they found he was pre-diabetic and put him on a low/no carb diet.

He was always a cuddly figured bloke, not fat, just a dad bod/Geof Bingham type of body and he has lost so much weight.

I thought I would see what it's like, and I can tell you the main draw is I never feel lethargic after lunch any more. I guess substituting carbs for protein, and eating more pulses and nuts, has had a two fold effect, lost belly fat and noticeably more muscle mass.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

And let's face it ,chicken is much better than bread...

I've been wanting to cut sugar from my diet for a while now. Simply doing just that can also lead to some pretty dramatic weight loss after just a few months.

Alas, it is a very hard thing to do, especially in America.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I only care about fat. I fucking love greasy shit. Dripping with nasty orange grease mmmmmmmm spread it across my lips and tongue. Sugar can go fuck itself.

spuckthew

What about cereal? I only drink water, rarely eat dessert, and never eat candy, but I eat big fuck-off bowels of cereal for breakfast and sometimes in the evenings if I'm feeling extraordinarily lazy.

M52B28

Banned
Though many people understand that sugar is bad, our brains have been hardwired to crave it in our American culture.

There are many foods that utilise sugar that wouldn't normally have it. In American culture, everything is intensified, and that definitely goes for our food sources and manufacturers.

It's a shame that I completely stopped drinking soda, but after à while, i starter drinking it from time to time now. Not that often, but often enough for it to change my diet and weight. I have also been eating candy a bit too much. Damn butterfinger bites.

I'm going to try and phase this stuff out again within the next month. I feel like shit after eating the stuff. When I was consuming much less sugar, I felt so great.
What about cereal? I only drink water, rarely eat dessert, and never eat candy, but I eat big fuck-off bowels of cereal for breakfast and sometimes in the evenings if I'm feeling extraordinarily lazy.
I've managed to cut cereal out of my diet mainly. Not only is it expensive, it's a terrible food for breakfast unless it's a hot cereal or one of the health oriented ones. Usually, I would have some plain oatmeal with berries for flavor.

Cereal is so expensive if you look at the profit margins that companies have.

Greddleok

Cereal is like eating sugar in a bowl.

I hate when these sites don't link the actual article or at least provide an author name...

Though many people understand that sugar is bad, our brains have been hardwired to crave it in our American culture.

Just as accurate.

entremet

Check the label. Most cereals, even plain ones, have added sugars.

Do oatmeal with fruit instead. Whole fruit has fiber which slows down sugar absorption.

zigg

I've been wanting to cut sugar from my diet for a while now. Simply doing just that can also lead to some pretty dramatic weight loss after just a few months.

Alas, it is a very hard thing to do, especially in America.
I cut a lot of sugar out of my diet somewhere between 5-10 years ago, just by dropping those easy sources of sugar—pop, baked goods, the like. I did lose a good amount of weight.

Unfortunately, I've got it all back and then some now. And I'm still more or less eating the same things. ��

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I hate when these sites don't link the actual article or at least provide an author name...

Just as accurate.

Not all of them.

Sulik2

Sugar needs to be regulated like alcohol. Most people can't fight their hardwired impulses to crave when in an environment with so much sugar around.

I pretty much only eat vegetables (spinach, brocoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, frozen mix) with meat like chicken, sardines, tuna, eggs. Also cut off milk for fortified Almond milk. Lost 42 pounds since may 6 with barely any exercise. Almost at healthy bmi now.

Nikodemos

Cereal is so expensive if you look at the profit margins that companies have.
Processed cereal is pure profit. Just look at the price difference between a sack of wheatberries or de-kerneled corn (at a grain wholesaler) and a box of cereal.

Squalor

Sugar, particularly added sugar, is fucking awful. I wish the mainstream media outlets were doing more to talk about this. The average American doesn't know shit.
Shitty cereal is like that.

There are plenty of good cereal options.
One can of Coke contains 39 grams of sugars. Yeah, that's not good.
And that's added sugar.

I always knew pizza and hamburgers aren't as bad as other junk food. They still have sugar but less than any pastry or candy, and less of the fructose type of sugar. They just have too many calories

jmdajr

There was a recent article by Vox that American breakfast is basically dessert. Loaded with fucking sugar.

The main ways I cut back on sugar was practically all breakfast. Yogury,juice,breakfast bars, instant oatmeal, cereal. It's almost all bullshit.

spuckthew

What's super evil sugar? 39% sugar is huge!

I thought there were different types of sugar? Or is the stuff in fruit just the same as a tablespoon of granulated sugar in tea/coffee and the same as gummy bears?

Either way, I already know I eat too much cereal - it's the only mark on an otherwise healthyish diet (I'm very slim and run quite often also). "It's ok, you're not fat, another bowel won't hurt"...that's kind of my problem...I love cereal too much.

The US corn lobby is way more powerful than the meat lobby, that's why the US health officials have not done anyway to advise against carb consumption.

daveo42

Banned
Glad to see more info coming out specifically related to the problems with high sugar consumption. The worst part is how it is included in almost everything we consume and is controlled in large part now by "big corn" or w/e since processed corn syrup is an additive in most processed foods. Cane sugar is just as bad, but is definitely more cost prohibitive as a generalized sweetener.

It also doesn't help that with adding the stuff to everything, we get use to the sweetened taste of our products and leads to thinking foods taste bland or bad without the extra sugar, even if we didn't know it was in the food to begin with. I'd actually love to see the food industry move away from putting sugar and corn syrup every product, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Americans do love our sweets and obesity and I should know as I've struggled with both most of my life.

Squalor

I thought there were different types of sugar? Or is the stuff in fruit just the same as a tablespoon of granulated sugar in tea/coffee and the same as gummy bears?

Either way, I already know I eat too much cereal - it's the only mark on an otherwise healthyish diet (I'm very slim and run quite often also).
"Sugar" you find naturally in fruits and other foods isn't as bad as HFCS or added sugar, but that doesn't mean you should go overboard with natural sugar, either.

Even if you're drinking a fruit juice with no added sugar, most of the time, one cup is still going to have about 25 grams of sugar. That's just way too much.

I actually stay away from fruit juices altogether. I still eat fruits themselves, though.

Eat better cereal.

Personally I think sugar is not the enemy, it's just a very efficient source of energy. However the modern diet has way wayyyyy to much sugar in it, we never ate pure refined sugar in our history. It always came from fruits and more recently from grains too. Even pure sugar gels are totally fine (if you're an athlete and performing).

jmdajr

"Sugar" you find naturally in fruits and other foods isn't as bad as HFCS or added sugar, but that doesn't mean you should go overboard with natural sugar, either.

Even if you're drinking a fruit juice with no added sugar, most of the time, one cup is still going to have about 25 grams of sugar. That's just way too much.

I actually stay away from fruit juices altogether. I still eat fruits themselves, though.

Eat better cereal.
The fiber in fruit negates much of the damage. Granted more people drink fruit juice than eat actual fruit.

jmdajr

People have been going on about how nutrition science doesn't know shit. But that stuff about sugar was known DECADES ago. The studies were all buried though thanks to politics and the food industry.

Shameful! We are done grave damage to society.

Either way, I already know I eat too much cereal - it's the only mark on an otherwise healthyish diet (I'm very slim and run quite often also).

Gummy bears: all processed fructose, very bad
Tablespoon of sugar: half fructose, half glucose, bad
Fruit: a couple servings a day are fine because the fiber controls the digestion of fructose
Dairy: has the lactose sugar, not bad if consumed in moderation
Breads: vary in their sugar and carbs composition. They usually have more glucose and less fructose, so they are good for getting energy as long as they are consumed in moderation. However in America, HCFS are added to it for some reason, which is awful.
Honey: pure fructose, limit severely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom