• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CW Cancels "Legends of Tomorrow" and "Batwoman"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow will not return for an eighth season.

It marks the end of a long road for the series, which premiered in 2016.

While The CW is known for giving its longer-running series a proper goodbye, this season of Legends ended on a cliffhanger. Sources, however, pointed out that the characters can easily populate other series in the DC Arrowverse so you may see one or two of them in other shows.

Batwoman is no longer.

The CW has canceled the superhero drama series after three seasons.

TV Cancellations Photo Gallery: Shows Ending In 2022 & Beyond

Showrunner Caroline Dries revealed the news on social media, saying she was “bummed, but full of gratitude.”

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member

I'm surprised how batwoman was ever greenlit in the first place.

Last edited:

Doom85

I'm surprised how batwoman was ever greenlit in the first place.

I only ever read the first volume of the New 52 run, but it was actually a pretty good comic, as she focuses on more supernatural cases as opposed to Batman (mostly) focusing on non-fantasy/sci-fi foes.

So they had good source material, they just fucked it up. Kind of like the Green Lantern movie.

ElRenoRaven

No loss with Batwoman. However sad to see Legends go. Granted I quit watching it last season. After losing Rory it just wasn't the same and couldn't get into it. Not to mention the season was draggging and just boring as hell for so long. Still would be nice for CW to have let them at least tie everything up because odds are it ended on a cliffhanger like most seasons did.

Yoda

I've never met anyone who watches CW shows. Who on earth is the target demo? Their content is so aggressively b-tier there's like no possible chance anyone is actually immersed into the movie.

This probably won't be the end of CW show cancellations.

Discovery is probably going to keep removing the excess baggage and problem properties/problem actors on WB's side. I expect Arrowverse to be fully dead and gone within 2 years, maybe 3 if they greenlit season 3 of Superman and Lois, or greenlit that Green Lantern show with John Diggle(should have pulled that trigger way sooner).

MastaKiiLA

I had the misfortune of watching an episode of Batwoman. I'm really not sure why they thought it would make sense to focus do heavily on interpersonal drama in a comic book show. It wasn't even good. It's like a reality tv dating show mixed in with some barely passable superhero content. It was unwatchable for me, and seemingly for everyone else. But I guess all the Arrowverse stuff devolves into that eventually anyway. Even Flash spent way too much time on his relationships. Good riddance.

As I noted in the other thread, Batwoman is the first show that The CW has canceled under 4 seasons since The Carrie Diaries (the Sex and the City prequel that one one watched). Which implies that the viewership was EXTREMELY low.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I made it through 3 seasons of Arrow and I think 2 seasons of Flash. Honestly they weren't bad, but I could tell they were really reaching for content by that point and moved on. Can't believe these are still on.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The shows on there might be terrible to us yes
but they have a audience or else the network would have folded long ago
Smallville was their last good show, and even Smallville got extremely awful by the last couple of seasons. I don't think they have had another interesting show. But still the network is pretty rough. Should probably be cancelled as a business not for arbitrary social interpretations.

Smallville was their last good show, and even Smallville got extremely awful by the last couple of seasons. I don't think they have had another interesting show. But still the network is pretty rough. Should probably be cancelled as a business not for arbitrary social interpretations.
I made it through 3 seasons of Arrow and I think 2 seasons of Flash. Honestly they weren't bad, but I could tell they were really reaching for content by that point and moved on. Can't believe these are still on.
One of CW's biggest issues, that even their own writers have complained about, is the fact that they stubbornly stuck to 24 to 26 episode seasons for so long. The quality of some of their shows started to improve a little once they decided to switch a few of them from 24 to 12, but this happened so recently that it's pretty much too late at this point.

Every show had at least one pretty good season and the season was usually either near the beginning of the series(Like Flash season 1 or 2) or a random season where they finally decided to throw their best writers on a show and give it maximum effort(Arrow Season 5 with Prometheus, Supergirl season 4 with Agent Liberty and where Lex Luthor won, Black Lightning Season 2 with Gravedigger). Another problem was after that one amazing season where they show you what they can be fully capable of, those writers either abandoned the shows completely or started to phone it in, resulting in some of the worst seasons of all time right after such a high. They gave almost zero effort for Batwoman and I feel it's because they were simply stretched too thin at that point and were beyond frustrated. Add on top of that Batwoman's other problems such as actors leaving and it's general identity crisis as a show, and you get a giant turd of a show that is simply meant to fill up a time slot.

Ionian

I never watched any DC or Marvel TV shows.

Loki is brilliant, missing out on that. Other shows, well I didn't bother either. Loki though is up there with the best Marvel films.

The actor is outstanding. It takes the piss out of itself, it's really fun and so well done.

Fbh

I just don’t know if anything good CW has ever made.

Supernatural S1-5 was great, and I personally enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Arrow and The Flash.
The problem is that a lot of their shows start strong and then keep getting exponentially worse as they go on.Their superhero stuff also has a terrible tendency of focusing way too much on relationship drama.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I hope Javicia Leslie gets something new relatively soon after the final episode of batwoman. I love that actress... I want to see her in more stuff. I didn't like them axing Dougray Scott from the show. I also didn't like them making a new Joker after the original either died or just disappeared.

Saber

Gold Member
Batwoman was so badly written, so stupid that even the trailer gives people aneurysm. Its basically a social media the series.

Gonna guess the reason they believe BW flopped so hard was because people are bunch of mysoginies.

Trunx81

Can’t we just make this into a supernatural appreciation thread? Loved this series to death and I’m in my forties.

The arrowverse shows had their moments, really liked the first few seasons of the green vigilante. But had to quit after flash season 2. It was just more of the same with more drama added. The Superman show is great though. Good implementation of the kids (and kids normally get annoying really quick).

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I watched way too much of that awful Arrowverse, including the first season of Batwoman.
It surprises me that Legends was cancelled without a finale, but Batwoman was dogshit and had it coming.

Fun facts, Batwoman was the first Arrowverse series to be shot with an anamorphic lens, and to be presented in a wider aspect ratio than 16:9, as it was shown at 2:1. See, wasn't that fun? I think it was a lot more enjoyable than actually watching the series.

The Skull

Still not cancel culture. There hasn't been the mobs of twitter campaigning for it to be cancelled. It's a shit show that has done shit, so it's being cancelled. It's a business decision.

NickFire

Still not cancel culture. There hasn't been the mobs of twitter campaigning for it to be cancelled. It's a shit show that has done shit, so it's being cancelled. It's a business decision.
This. Quietly saying no thanks to yourself is not participating in cancel culture. Trying to have it cancelled because you don’t like it is cancel culture.

Also, Supernatural was one of best shows ever in first few seasons. Dragged out a little long, but phenomenal show overall. And fortunately was allowed to end with a fitting resolution Instead of unplanned cancellation.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I never watched any DC or Marvel TV shows.

Most of it on both sides has frankly been a bit shit. The Marvel shows ride on the MCU’s success, but none of it has been exceptional, at times very poor, and not required viewing. The Arrowverse stuff ran out of creative steam years ago. And the less said about total garbage like Gotham, the better.

Marvel are just shitting stuff out on their factory production line, and DC are run by people who don’t know what to do.

Top Bottom