• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Better than Witcher 3

Stinkbug

Neo Member
I'll say I loved the layout of the city. Especially walking thru it. It's intricate like I imagine walking thru a real world big city would be. I played a few hours of the game when it released and would like to revisit it. I have an xbox series x. How do I make sure I'm playing the series x version and not the xbox one version? Do i just need to check for update, and if it has the latest version then I'm good to go? I have the disc version, not the digital.

Guilty_AI

Better than The Witcher 3 though?

vt2x1jQ.gif
The Witcher 3 has a lot of the same issues CP2077 has, and more. Whichever you prefer is really down to personal preference considering the vastly different settings.

Last edited:

xacto

Launch was a disaster everyone on the planet agrees. This is about the content of the game post new gen version.

CDPR improved massively over the Witcher 3. The storytelling was just as good with better animations. The plot was properly sophisticated to match the Sci-Fi setting. The script was professional and made Keanu Reeves seem like a decent actor. The endings were meaningfully different. The music was perfectly melded, evocative tunes matching the proper moments. The City was colorful, beautiful with diverse settings. the The gameplay wasn't Doom or Eden Ring but was one of the best in a mainstream guns&cars open world game. Much better and compelling than Farcry or GTA.

Confidant CDPR will make a big rebound. Can't wait for their next game.
Umm, no.

anothertech

It's everything watchdogs should have been and more.

Tbh, I feel bad for everyone that experienced the launch. I waited till next gen version, played on PS5. It was an incredible experience, no more buggy than any normal AAA game. I wish everyone could have experienced that, including CDPR. Should have just made it next gen from the start.

Only complaint was the first person view rather than third. But still didn't mind cause the visuals were so dam good. Definitely top 10 of all time for me tbh.

Can't wait for the dlc and sequel.

Mate the next gen patch came out damn near a decade after gta 5, I certainly hope it would improve on it in ways and I'd still probably disagree.

To the titles point, I loved cyberpunk 2077, and readily defend it when I see people talking shit just to be trendy when they clearly haven't even played it.

That being said, witcher 3>....especially once you factor in the expansions (can't wait for cp's)

Saber

Gold Member
Played and Platinum Cyberpunk.

My answer is a big no. And if you say otherwise, you probably didn't played. Cyberpunk in terms of story and characters has a huge potential. Potential wasted on some idiotic drama and haste on move on with certain characters.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Played and Platinum Cyberpunk.

My answer is a big no. And if you say otherwise, you probably didn't played. Cyberpunk in terms of story and characters has a huge potential. Potential wasted on some idiotic drama and haste on move on with certain characters.
Played both and the answer is yes. While not perfect, CP2077 did improve on a lot of aspects compared to witcher 3.
Story and characters are very subjective given themes and setting are vastly different from each other. If you're biased towards fantasy/medieval and not much into sci-fi, you'll naturally think TW3 is better.

Amiga

I liked them both a lot. Hard to choose but I might edge out with TW3 because I've read all the books and love that world so much.
The difference is in the production level. I think W4 would be better than CP2077 after all the good and bad lessons CDPR learned.

Saber

Gold Member
Played both and the answer is yes. While not perfect, CP2077 did improve on a lot of aspects compared to witcher 3.
Story and characters are very subjective given themes and setting are vastly different from each other. If you're biased towards fantasy/medieval and not much into sci-fi, you'll naturally think TW3 is better.

Played both and huge nope.
Entire Cyberpunk doesn't even match the level of Bloody Baron quest, let alone the story.

Unless you have a big counter argument, nothing you say can tell me otherwise. Unless people enjoy the stupidity of endless quest about dying by the chip as a form of drama.
And thats me again reaffirming that the story and characters had a big potential. They could extend alot the start of Corpo side and I would be amazed(aways wished to keep doing corpo dirty job).

McCrank

Launch was a disaster everyone on the planet agrees. This is about the content of the game post new gen version.

CDPR improved massively over the Witcher 3. The storytelling was just as good with better animations. The plot was properly sophisticated to match the Sci-Fi setting. The script was professional and made Keanu Reeves seem like a decent actor. The endings were meaningfully different. The music was perfectly melded, evocative tunes matching the proper moments. The City was colorful, beautiful with diverse settings. the The gameplay wasn't Doom or Eden Ring but was one of the best in a mainstream guns&cars open world game. Much better and compelling than Farcry or GTA.

In no universe is this an accurate statement...

Guilty_AI

Entire Cyberpunk doesn't even match the level of Bloody Baron quest, let alone the story.
Again, anything related to the story will be personal bias. Both stories have its strong and weak points,

Unless you have a big counter argument, nothing you say can tell me otherwise. Unless people enjoy the stupidity of endless quest about dying by the chip as a form of drama.
Thats not an argument. I could also phrase "how can people enjoy the stupidity of endless quest about some missing daughter figure as a form of drama" to make TW3 story sound bad. See how easy it is to reduce things?

And thats me again reaffirming that the story and characters had a big potential. They could extend alot the start of Corpo side and I would be amazed(aways wished to keep doing corpo dirty job).
Thats also just your personal bias. The story is about a mercenary, just like how TW is about a monster hunter. I could also criticize TW3 for not giving enough focus to the witcher job

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Played both and huge nope.

I would say Blood and Wine expansion alone is better than Cyberpunk.

Saber

Gold Member
Again, anything related to the story will be personal bias. Both stories have its strong and weak points,

Thats not an argument. I could also phrase "how can people enjoy the stupidity of endless quest about some missing daughter figure as a form of drama" to make TW3 story sound bad. See how easy it is to reduce things?

Thats also just your personal bias. The story is about a mercenary, just like how TW is about a monster hunter. I could also criticize TW3 for not giving enough focus to the witcher job

You still didn't gave anything to say otherwise. Your personal bias is way bigger, because so far you didn't even tried to use any of piece of Cyberpunk story to put against Witcher. Want to put Crones so you can compare with CP examples?

Cyberpunk story resumes about dying chip drama with annoying short circuits in the heads and "jHonny sIlverhAnd" extensive crappie dialogues. Witcher 3 has indeed daugher drama, but the writting and characters(and mainly antagonists) are way above the level of Cyberpunk. To the point of you become deeply interested on them. Is ridiculous to even put both on the same levels. Nothing agaisnt if you like though, but as I said I beated the game 2 times and platinum, and it would be amazing if they would prefer to go to better routes with certain aspects of mc life rather than haste the story.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm currently playing through Cyberpunk 2077 on the PS5 with the 1.5 patch.

I played the launch version on PC, and the difference is quite incredible. The pacing is way more streamlined and they fixed a TON of bugs. Even on PC the game was... questionable at times but they fixed a lot of the immersion-breaking nonsense. PS5 version runs super smooth too and looks amazing even in performance mode. Can't hold a candle to RTX-enabled pc version but it looks great nontheless.

So if you haven't played this since launch, give it a shot. The current-gen versions run great. Don't play this on last gen consoles period.

Guilty_AI

You still didn't gave anything to say otherwise. Your personal bias is way bigger, because so far you didn't even tried to use any of piece of Cyberpunk story to put against Witcher. Want me to me to put Crones so you can compare with CP examples?
Because there's no point in taking any particular bit of story to say "this is better/just as good!".

I could bring up the side-quest about the criminal who wants to find redemption by making a BD of him being crucified, that was a pretty amazing side-story, but that doesn't mean shit because the nature of Witcher 3 storie(s) and Cyberpunk's are far too different to be compared. Thats why i keep bringing up personal bias.

Cyberpunk story resumes about dying chip drama with annoying short circuits in the heads and "jHonny sIlverhAnd" extensive crappie dialogues. Witcher 3 has indeed daugher drama, but the writting and characters(and mainly antagonists) are way above the level of Cyberpunk.
Again, none of this is an argument. I could invert it as well:
"Witcher 3 story resumes about daughter drama with annoying geralt humming about the weather and extensive crappie dialogues with batman voice acting. Cyberpunk has indeed incoming death drama, but the writting and characters(and mainly companions) are way above the level of Witcher 3."

On a side note, the only thing that can be considered an antagonist on Witcher 3 was the wild hunt, and i can't say they're much to write home about, at least in the game. Maybe they have better development in the books, i don't know.

---

I keep bringing up bias because comparing both stories is like apples to oranges.

TW3 is a classic adventure type of journey:
"Geralt, a monster hunter making a living in a fantastic world of magic and beasts torn apart by wars and politics, goes out into the wild to find his lost surrogate daughter. Along the way he meets many people, new friends and enemies, old friends and enemies, goes through many adventures while solving local conflicts and helping people, or maybe not."

CP2077 is an existential journey:
"V, a mercenary trying to make it big in a desecrated world dominated by large corporations and advanced tech, loses everything and goes on a futile journey save the only thing he has left, his life. With the threat of the death of his soul rather than greed guiding him, along with his new not-so-welcomed companion, he learns more about the world he's part of, its people, their lives, and by extension himself."

Which one of these two is better? Neither, because they're far too different to be compared.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

the story and script weren't great, felt more like a b-movie, it reminded me more of the netflix version of altered carbon than say ghost in the shell or blade runner. the ambient music was decent but the radio SUCKED. i agree that the city looks and feels great as long as you don't try to interact with anything you see.

Saber

Gold Member
Which one of these two is better? Neither, because they're far too different to be compared.

All this bullcrap to tell me that? In a thread saying that CP story is better than Witcher, you coud at least warn me so I wouldn't waste time replying a quote of someone not interested in the topic.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
the story and script weren't great, felt more like a b-movie, it reminded me more of the netflix version of altered carbon than say ghost in the shell or blade runner. the ambient music was decent but the radio SUCKED. i agree that the city looks and feels great as long as you don't try to interact with anything you see.

Cyberpunk / Neuromancer is inherently B-movie though. Camp/schlock is pretty much part of the game and honestly they pretty much nailed it.

The whole "Johnny Silverhand is going to take over your mind so hurry" narrative conflicts with literally every other activity in the game, but overall the plot is pretty great.

Saber

Gold Member
The whole "Johnny Silverhand is going to take over your mind so hurry" narrative conflicts with literally every other activity in the game, but overall the plot is pretty great.

I agree. I think it would at least work better if it wasn't "hey its killing me, need to stop everything I'm doing until I can find a way to live".

Guilty_AI

All this bullcrap to tell me that? In a thread saying that CP story is better than Witcher, you coud at least warn me so I wouldn't waste time replying a quote of someone not interested in the topic.
OP is saying CP2077 is a better game, and that is a fact. Regarding the story he himself said "The storytelling was just as good".

So yeah, you're the one who doesn't seem too interested in the topic since you didn't even bother reading the initial post.

TastyPastry

Cyberpunk / Neuromancer is inherently B-movie though. Camp/schlock is pretty much part of the game and honestly they pretty much nailed it.

i honestly can't remember any schlocky parts from neuromancer. it might be outdated in many ways but never felt as campy as 2077. maybe it was mostly keanu for me, it was just hard to take anything he said serious.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Amiga

the story and script weren't great, felt more like a b-movie, it reminded me more of the netflix version of altered carbon than say ghost in the shell or blade runner.

IMOO Paul Verhoeven or Neill Blomkamp Sci-Fi movies would be the most matching comparisons.

Agreed with OP, even tough it might be a pretty controversial opinion

I think the same, combat, how you approach combat and the diverse options that the game has in store in that regard, hacking, stealth, etc. gunplay, weapon variety, character upgrades through implants, cyberprostetics, this game is leagues ahead of The Witcher 3 (and I love that f.. game) but a troubled development can't hurt some of Cyberpunk's strenghts, and must not.

If I start talking about quests.. environmental storytelling etc.. I could fill a whole OT dedicated to Cyberpunk and why I think it's better.

It was not a bad game by any means.
Agree. Why would I play Watchdogs 2 when I would rather gauge my entire head out of my body with its lame capital M-ilenials characters. Compare with like the entire cast of Cp 2077 where everyone is at the very baseline, not fucking annoying.

Guilty_AI

Huh how so?
Whatever people criticize about CP2077 can be applied to TW3.
Poor rpg mechanics? The Witcher 3
Static world? Even worse on The Witcher 3
Choices "don't matter"? The Witcher 3

And TW3 has its own set of issues that were improved in CP2077, like utter lack of level and encounter design, horrible perk system, character builds that don't matter, shit-tons of nonsensical mechanics....

Aenima

Nop.

Only really impressive thing in Cyberpunk was the city itself, that has many layers and paths and is ritch in details. But just the NPC and trafic A.I. alone is enough to break any imersion the city was suposed to provide.

Everething else in Witcher 3 was better. Combat, main characters, side characters, enemy diversity, lore, side stories, etc. Combat in Cyberpunk is also good, i just prefer melee combat over FPS.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 far more than I ever enjoyed GTA IV or GTA V. Those games are amazing technically, but their game design is borderline anachronistic. GTA IV is straight up boring for long stretches. GTA V at least has elements that embraced the absurdity and provided plenty for the player to see and do. I found its sandbox elements kind of uninteresting after a few hours, though, they do make for good YouTube compilations. I'd have appreciated more to do in Cyberpunk 2077, but, honestly, it's world, writing, characters, and tone is just so far ahead of most other open world games that I didn't really notice. Easily GOTY for its release year, with some of the best writing around. As for The Witcher 3, I think it's a terrific RPG that gets so much mileage out of its writing and sheer scale that a lot of its poorer design elements are happily forgiven amongst the absorbing quest lines and un-Godly amount of shit to do. For my money, I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the better game, but I prefer its world and setting far more to The Witcher's, and for someone who's preference went the other way, I could understand a different favourite.

Mr1999

Gold Member
I see huge potential for it especially after downloading the flying car mod. You get an incredible feeling, albeit superficial as to what could have been possible.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think that's it even makes sense to compare the two, and not even from a gameplay perspective but very much on a narrative level too. Witcher was an epic fantasy tale with a very operatic style, while Cyberpunk is more like a techno-thriller mixed with some noir, so it's just a completely different kind of story.

But whatever, if you really wanna argue which game was more successful at what it tried to be, I'd say that TW3 easily wins here. Its storyline is thoroughly engaging, it has great writing and characterization, and lots and lots of memorable moments, including some truly grandiose battles where every major character that you've met along the way and care about participates, which raises the stakes every time and makes for some epic fucking set pieces.

Cyberpunk, on the other hand, was only decent. It's certainly engaging to some degree as a techno-thriller/noir type of story but I can't say that it was like super impressive or anything. The concept itself is interesting, there are some neat quests here and there, but overall the execution of it all was a bit lacking. The pacing as a bit all over the place and some cutscenes have very strange and downright janky editing so they're not even half as impressive as they should be. I didn't feel as engaged in the story or characters as I was with other works in this genre either. The most I ever felt engaged in this game's story was when I was about to bang Panam, lol. But other than that, I didn't even like any of the characters all that much. The relationship between Silverhand and V didn't feel all that convincing and a lot of it I think has to do with a very one-note delivery from Keanu Reeves where he tried way too hard to sound badass. Sorry Keanu fans, but most Hollywood stars simply aren't cut out for this kind of thing. In most cases it's down to the fact that they don't do this type of acting very often so they're not used to doing voice over work and the result often feels very awkward and unnatural. With Judy I just thought that she was a brat and an idiot. The Japanese bodyguard dude whose name I can't even remember now was just plain boring and I accidentally let him die without even realizing it, lol. I don't really remember that much about River, or whatever his name was. The best character in the entire game hands down was Jackie because he had the most personality, charisma, motivation, and it actually was kinda sad when he died. And that's the roster of allies that I'm supposed care about throughout the game? Gimme a break, none of them have shit on Ciri, Triss, Yen, Lambert, Eskel, Vesemir, Zoltan, Dandelion, and many, many other cool characters from The Witcher 3.

Also, where the fuck are Cyberpunk's villains? They're so damn weak and not developed AT ALL. Even the cool cyborg dude can't save the show simply because he's barely in the game at all, and there are like zero confrontations or even backstory provided about him before you square off towards the end of the story. And by that time you're so overpowered that the bad guy bites the dust in seconds anyway. It's so anticlimactic.

So yeah, sorry OP but Cyberpunk is an inferior game on almost every level except the visuals.

Last edited:
Well, this is why Frist Impressions matter

Cyberpuke 2077 is still his a joke an a lesson for other publishers/Devs. But I foresee a redemption ark similar to No man's sky. CDPR reputation depend on it..

Crayon

Its better than w3.

I thought Witcher 2 had something really interesting going on , but they left that behind so w3 could be more standard. It was still a good game, tho. It's just that the gameplay gets to be a real drag. The fighting and the witcher-sense trail-following. It's passable for a but the the game doesn't have much else going on. The outdoor environment is pretty...

Witcher has great graphics, writing, cutscenes, questlines. Cyberpunk has that plus more interesting gameplay, an incredible city environment that is way more unique than more fantasy forests and grassy hills. The dress up is better lol. The only thing it doesn't have is gerault, one of the most universally appealing characters of modern times.

yunkaiza

2077 was one of my most anticipated games and to this day I still haven't bothered finishing it, got maybe 1/3 through. I at least finished TW3 and enjoyed it.

Skifi28

I wouldn't say that even as a joke. I guess I can understand preferring one setting over the other, but otherwise it's not even a contest.

Top Bottom