• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive was not even its final form!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Slimy has gone off the deep end. Praising spiderman 2s visuals and pooping on cyberpunks path tracing
lol I literally rated cybperunk as the top 2 or top 3 games for graphics.

this isnt shitting on cyberpunk's visuals. This is mocking people who fall for PR and then have to do a 180 when a better solution comes in years or months later.

Fake edit. ranked it second behind horizon.
  1. Horizon Forbidden West - Pound for pound best looking game out there. Exceptional lighting, insane character models, gorgeous foliage, incredible dialogue mocap
  2. Cyberpunk PC - Best technical showpiece with easily the most advanced graphical features out there. Some poor animations and jankiness keep it from being #1.
  3. Starfield PC - Probably the best lighting model in a game so far. Best interiors. Truly awful exteriors and mediocre character models and animations keep it from charting higher.
  4. Demon Souls - Great lighting and atmosphere paired up with some really detailed texture and asset quality.
  5. Ratchet - Exceptional modeling work, character models and lighting producing near CG quality visuals at times.
  6. RDR2 PC - last gen's GOAT, but feels a bit dated compared to the top 5 above.
  7. Final Fantasy 16 - Insane setpieces on a scale never seen before. Straight up cg looking cutscenes.
  8. TLOU2 - Character models, foliage, animations all among the best last gen.
  9. Witcher 3 Remastered PC RT mode - Surprisngly good looking on PC. Still has the janky animations but it now looks like that original E3 trailer that was downgraded.
  10. Batman Arkham Knight - Best rain ever. best looking city in a game ever. Still looks amazing even after playing cyberpunk in path tracing mode. Go figure.
Honorary mentions:
Matrix Demo - Just a demo even if playable
Flight Sim - Technically not a traditional game but probably the best looking game out there
DriveClub - Poor IQ mars what is arguably still the best looking racer on the market in the best lighting and weather conditions.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
lol I literally rated cybperunk as the top 2 or top 3 games for graphics.

this isnt shitting on cyberpunk's visuals. This is mocking people who fall for PR and then have to do a 180 when a better solution comes in years or months later.

Fake edit. ranked it second behind horizon.
1.Horizon Forbidden West - Pound for pound best looking game out there. Exceptional lighting

And i stopped reading from here.

Schmendrick

I always laugh at these enhancements. I remember Alex jerking off to Metro Exodus back in the day until they finally fixed it 3 years later only for him to pivot and show what a huge upgrade it was. Yes, but why were you jerking off to inaccurate fucking light just 3 years ago?

Same thing has happened with cyberpunk. Three years ago, RTGI was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Then Path tracing gets released and shows just how inaccurate RTGI was. Now they finally fix the ghosting that turned the game into a Vaseline covered mess. In 6 months we will be going back and singing the praises of some new thing they fix.
What is this nonsense...
If we'd not praise the current best thing just because progress doesn't stop we'd not praise anything ever again.

SlimySnake

But that happens all the time, you are also doing that. Its just like how all those CGI companies and guys where hyping up Wathmens CGI in 2008 where they said things like the most accurate light simulation or the most realistic blood rendering. Now look at that movie and ask those guys the same question in 2023 and they will laugh at you to claim that Wathmens CGI is even close to accurate in a world where Avatar 2 is released.
Nah I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the RT crowd that dismisses games that clearly look better just because they had baked in lighting. This happened with HFW (see below), happened any time bothered pointing out TLOU2 might have better lighting than cyberpunk, happened when Metro exodus came out in 2019 and looked fugly but everyone jumped over each other to give it best graphics simply because it was using RTGI. And a broken version of it at that.

And its going to happen tomorrow when GTA6 comes with fantastic lighting but if it turns out its not using RTGI, a certain segment of this forum, DF, and other tech sites will pretend its simply not better looking than cyberpunk even if it looks better looking to the naked eye. I am just glad Alan Wake 2 came out and has finally put to bed this ridiculous argument that games with baked lighting cant look better than games with RT lighting. It shouldve happened with Horizon FW, Callisto, Microsoft Flight Sim, and Starfield but whatever, I will take AW2 even if people are jizzing all over it because they think path tracing in that game is what makes it looks so much better than cybperunk.
1.Horizon Forbidden West - Pound for pound best looking game out there. Exceptional lighting

And i stopped reading from here.

Buggy Loop

Bruh almost every other youtubers comparison showed massive differences in a random scene in the open world. You don't need to search for specific scenarios or places to see the differences.

CP9-2.jpg

CP5-2.jpg

CP4-2.jpg

10.jpg

CP7-2.jpg

9.jpg

VS1.jpg

cAn'T teLl TeH dIFFeRncE

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Buggy Loop

I wonder what will be the next game Nvidia makes sweet love to.

Hopefully Mass Effect 5. I don't trust Microsoft to go balls deep in path tracing so they're out but Avowed and MS flight sim 24 would be welcomed.

And this highlights the major issue with baked lighting and other raster solutions. Dynamic objects either get ignored or do not get adequate coverage by the GI.

Bingo

Those gorgeous rasterized games are often very static. Or the flaws show up REALLY fast. Someone ignoring them has their heads buried in the sand.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Sure. And Im pointing out that its not ALWAYS accurate like they like to say. If it was so accurate we wouldnt be seeing such massive upgrades.

At least with the ghosting in ray reconstruction, people like Alex called them out in so thats progress I guess. I just cant believe they release a game looking like a vaseline covered mess and were praised for it. Only for them to come out three months later, its fixed now!!!!
Man, faces were much better lit in PT than any other option even when it was release as a preview. You're getting way too worked up over something that was clearly marked as a tech preview and is only now leaving preview.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
CD Projekt RED's change to Unreal Engine 5 looking more and more like a knee-jerk reaction by the day. The developers are finally mastering the RED Engine pipeline to perfection and then management decides to move away from it SMH.
I think the plan is to port a lot of that rendering work they did over to UE5, though. Like they aren't going out of the box, UE5, they are going to build on it.

Braag

I have posted many comparisons myself. Wont bother posting them again because thats not my point either. My point is that they keep saying its most accurate but then they turn around and say no, NOW its finally accurate. I can promise you in a few months, they will say the same thing.
What an incredibly short minded way of thinking. Do you think they wont stop improving these things? Yes, it is the most accurate lighting as of now, the keywords are "as of now". Cause they will never stop improving this stuff, they keep creating new tech to make it look better, always. But it's worth praising considering what an achievement it is for them to make it look so good with today's tools.
But you sound like everyone's grumpy grandpa who loves to complain, so I won't point out your flawed logic anymore.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Nah I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the RT crowd that dismisses games that clearly look better just because they had baked in lighting. This happened with HFW (see below), happened any time bothered pointing out TLOU2 might have better lighting than cyberpunk, happened when Metro exodus came out in 2019 and looked fugly but everyone jumped over each other to give it best graphics simply because it was using RTGI. And a broken version of it at that.

And its going to happen tomorrow when GTA6 comes with fantastic lighting but if it turns out its not using RTGI, a certain segment of this forum, DF, and other tech sites will pretend its simply not better looking than cyberpunk even if it looks better looking to the naked eye. I am just glad Alan Wake 2 came out and has finally put to bed this ridiculous argument that games with baked lighting cant look better than games with RT lighting. It shouldve happened with Horizon FW, Callisto, Microsoft Flight Sim, and Starfield but whatever, I will take AW2 even if people are jizzing all over it because they think path tracing in that game is what makes it looks so much better than cybperunk.
This is not true man (well not in my case) since i have praised games like GT7, FH5, FM, DI, FS,... lighting while they don't feature any RT lighting. And if you think that those games would not benefit from PT than you are really just hating man. Those games would look soo much better with PT that you would not even argue about it. While those games i have mentioned and you have mentioned have some good lighting, they are not even close to what CP2077 is doing with its PT lighting. I wish we could enable PT for those games than you would see how much of a difference it makes vs the standard lighting. And im sure GTA6 will have some great lighting since RDR2 also have a very good lighting model. But will it reach CP2077 lighting quality? Hell nah bruh

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-48-26.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-12-40.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-16-43.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-55-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-2-08-47.jpg

Reallink

CD Projekt RED's change to Unreal Engine 5 looking more and more like a knee-jerk reaction by the day. The developers are finally mastering the RED Engine pipeline to perfection and then management decides to move away from it SMH.

Not when you look at what low budget unseasoned teams did with Robocop and Aveum, and recognize Playstation 6 (Six) won't even be able to run Cyberpunk Overdrive as it requires Nvidia proprietary technology and more AI core die space than pretty much the entire PS5 SOC.

Last edited:
I always laugh at these enhancements. I remember Alex jerking off to Metro Exodus back in the day until they finally fixed it 3 years later only for him to pivot and show what a huge upgrade it was. Yes, but why were you jerking off to inaccurate fucking light just 3 years ago?

Same thing has happened with cyberpunk. Three years ago, RTGI was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Then Path tracing gets released and shows just how inaccurate RTGI was. Now they finally fix the ghosting that turned the game into a Vaseline covered mess. In 6 months we will be going back and singing the praises of some new thing they fix.
Yeah, it's almost like things keep improving and people are excited when something new lands.

SlimySnake

You're getting way too worked up over something that was clearly marked as a tech preview and is only now leaving preview.
Eh. i literally said I laugh at these enhancements because it makes the older versions look wrong, and it caused an uproar. Im not the one taking this too seriously. After that, I did seriously engage and try and have a discussion instead of bailing out after making that post.

And if you think that those games would not benefit from PT than you are really just hating man.

But I never said this. Of course they will look better with PT or even RTGI.

I am pointing out how so many many games were dismissed in comparison to cyberpunk and metro because they didnt feature RT lighting. I think Cyberpunk 2 looks phenomenal or i wouldnt have put it as my 2nd best looking game of all time. I just disagree that its the RTGI or PT thats making it look that good. It enhances it but its baked lighting model is great too. PT and RTGI only comes into play when dynamic elements are added which only happens when the game moves from one baked lighting to another. When you are driving around mid day or evening or night time, the baked lighting will look just as good. We have gone back and forth on this many times already. Ive posted dozens of comparisons. Dont want to do it all over again.

Flight sim to me has the most photorealistic lighting ever in a video game. Matrix is second. Then you have other games like Horizon FW, Callisto, Starfield, Robocop and Alan Wake 2 with some incredible lighting models. I can post gifs from each of those that feature lighting that looks way better than your screenshots, but whats the point? I literally agree that cyberpunk looks better overall than almost all those games save for HFW.

Zathalus

Not when you look at what low budget unseasoned teams did with Robocop and Aveum, and recognize Playstation 6 (Six) won't even be able to run Cyberpunk Overdrive as it requires Nvidia proprietary technology and more AI core die space than pretty much the entire PS5 SOC.
Overdrive does not require proprietary technology, nor does it require any AI cores to run either. Current version of Unreal has a path renderer as well.

Proprietary would be DLSS and Ray Reconstruction which does require AI (Tensor) cores. But Tensor cores are not that large, the RT and Tensor cores take up roughly 8% die space.

Denton

Not at all times. I remember playing metro and the lighting was completely off in RT mode compared to baked lighting.
If by "baked lighting" you mean the nonRT rasterized one, I played Metro Exodus at launch and compared shit ton of scenes and RT (non-enhanced ones) looked better 90% of the time.

Reallink

Overdrive does not require proprietary technology, nor does it require any AI cores to run either. Current version of Unreal has a path renderer as well.

Proprietary would be DLSS and Ray Reconstruction which does require AI (Tensor) cores. But Tensor cores are not that large, the RT and Tensor cores take up roughly 8% die space.

Yes for simplicity and to avoid acronym word salad, I'm referring to topic of the thread (which is showcasing Ray Reconstruction and DLSS) as "Overdrive". AMD's largest top spec card can barely manage the pretty terrible, base level, noisy AF Overdrive in the 30's at 720p (i.e "1080p" FSR Quality). The probable PS5 Pro (7800XT) is in the high teens/low 20's at 720p. So yes, AI cores are a defacto requirement even for the shittiest version of Overdrive, nevermind what's showcased in this thread. And the only current chip that can actually deliver modern resolutions and frame rates with Overdrive is 3x the size of the entire PS5 SOC (or around 6-7x the size of PS5's GPU) , with RT cores taking up ~1/5th of every Stream Multiprocessor. But thanks for the non-correction correction Mr. Ackchyually.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yes for simplicity and to avoid acronym word salad, I'm referring to topic of the thread (which is showcasing Ray Reconstruction and DLSS) as "Overdrive". AMD's largest top spec card can barely manage the pretty terrible, base level, noisy AF Overdrive in the 30's at 720p (i.e "1080p" FSR Quality). The probable PS5 Pro (7800XT) is in the high teens/low 20's at 720p. So yes, AI cores are a defacto requirement even for the shittiest version of Overdrive, nevermind what's showcased in this thread. And the only current chip that can actually deliver modern resolutions and frame rates with Overdrive is 3x the size of the entire PS5 SOC (or around 6-7x the size of PS5's GPU) , with RT cores taking up ~1/5th of every Stream Multiprocessor. But thanks for the non-correction correction Mr. Ackchyually.
No need to be a dick about it, how was I to discern from your post what you were referring to? You made blanket statements about some pretty different things. Overdrive does not need DLSS or Ray Reconstruction to function, they don't rely on each other to work. You can enable Overdrive with FSR and it would work just fine, no Tensor core needed at all. It would obviously look worse though.

Your RT core size is also a bit overblown, analysis of the actual die via IR images show that RT cores take up 6.5% of a SM while Tensor cores make up a further 11.5%. If you meant RT to mean RT+Tensor cores then you would be correct, of course I would have no way of knowing your exact meaning if you don't use the correct terminology.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Overdrive look really nice in some scene + static scene . Its has its pros AND its cons .

Overdrive 1440p dlss quality(with ray reconstruction) still doesnt look right to me , the ghosting , vaseline ,noisy in some scene , smearing was terrible during gameplay . Most notable when I go to the parks at around 5-6pm ,with many npc walking around , shit look unplayable , npcs face literally unrecognizable ,full of vaseline .

While raster lighting look off sometime , but its look good enough and its fast + responsive during gameplay .

The DLSS ray reconstruction fix something and cause something else , maybe one day its became playble , but not today .
Without ray reconstruction playing at 1440p feel like 720p , even worst .

Last edited:

FireFly

Alex highlighted the faults with Overdrive + RR in his analysis video. And I believe he also highlighted the faults with Psycho RT when it arrived. Being closer to reality != faultless.

shamoomoo

We don't know how much of Nvidia's tech is being utilized in the Red Engine.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Overdrive look really nice in some scene + static scene . Its has its pros AND its cons .

Overdrive 1440p dlss quality(with ray reconstruction) still doesnt look right to me , the ghosting , vaseline ,noisy in some scene , smearing was terrible during gameplay . Most notable when I go to the parks at around 5-6pm ,with many npc walking around , shit look unplayable , npcs face literally unrecognizable ,full of vaseline .

While raster lighting look off sometime , but its look good enough and its fast + responsive during gameplay .

The DLSS ray reconstruction fix something and cause something else , maybe one day its became playble , but not today .
Without ray reconstruction playing at 1440p feel like 720p , even worst .
2.0 or 2.1?

john2gr

There are still some major visual issues:

There are still some SSR reflections even when using Path Tracing (I highlighted them in the video).
Lots of flickering shadows.
Numerous flickering objects/billboards.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Looking forward to jumping back in, the issues with PT were a put off, glad to see it fixed. GTA 6 when it eventually comes to PC is going to be absolutely insane, just like RDR2.

DragonNCM

Patch 2.1 adds ReSTIR GI !

Cyberpunk 2077 has been Nvidia's lab for tech since launch, I hope that collaboration continues with the likes of Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2.

DF analysis video coming up for sure.

what-blink.gif

Sorry can't see any difference (maybe in shadows)

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have posted many comparisons myself. Wont bother posting them again

Good. Your favorite hobby seems to be cherry picking static (...) shots in the few occasions where legacy light probe leftovers overlays RT/PT and then say "look at this, RT is useless!". Leaving out the context of why. I'd say that's clearly in bad faith for a so-called graphics enthusiast.

Here's the perfect comparison scenario to prove why RT is useless: Create/capture two scenes, both completely static and completely void of light, one rendered with traditional lighting algorithms, the other with RT/PT..
..And you can even use this for other things, like f.ex.: "See; DLSS/GI/Radiosity/subsurface scattering/textures/geometry etc. etc. is stupid, makes no difference!"

Last edited:

Reallink

We don't know how much of Nvidia's tech is being utilized in the Red Engine.

All of it, that's why Nvidia uses it to showcase every feature. To see what it's like without Nvidia's technology, you'll enjoy noisy Overdrive 1.0 at 720p upscaled with FSR, dogshit image quality, running somewhere in the 30's fps on a $1000 GPU.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Good. Your favorite hobby seems to be cherry picking static (...) shots in the few occasions where legacy light probe leftovers overlays RT/PT and then say "look at this, RT is useless!". Leaving out the context of why. I'd say that's clearly in bad faith for a so-called graphics enthusiast.

Here's the perfect comparison scenario to prove why RT is useless: Create/capture two scenes, both completely static and completely void of light, one rendered with traditional lighting algorithms, the other with RT/PT..
..And you can even use this for other things, like f.ex.: "See; DLSS/GI/Radiosity/subsurface scattering/textures/geometry etc. etc. is stupid, makes no difference!"
Actually, i am the one who is not cherrypicking because i go around town simply playing the game instead of waiting for time of day to change just so i can capture that perfect moment where the light bakes switch and you capture a massive difference.

People seem to think that baked lighting is somehow of worse quality than RTGI when baked lighting actually takes days if not weeks to bake in on fucking render farms. Insomniac said that baking in their city lighting used to well over a week, now its down to 4 days. People acting like baked lighting is aids or something when it is the same exact lighting model which is simply unable to handle dynamic elements. Dynamic elements that are not present in cyberpunk and almost every single last gen game. Even a game with lighting completely changing every few seconds like AW2 uses baked lighting and is able have lighting be dynamic and still look better than cyberpunk's lighting model.

And since you guys wont quit it. here you go. I tried to avoid reposting all the dozens of comparisons ive posted over the years but you all asked for it.

F7FI83NXIAAJkr3

F7FHaO3XgAAgZ6q

F7FI83oXgAAsHIk

F7FIJjoW0AAWD2K

FtjzQa5XoAElAzJ

FtjzQa5XwAEASJe

FtjzVwpWYAESdyT

FtjzVwYXoAU5rHt

I have more from last year that are standard rt vs psycho rt if you want me to continue spamming these pics. the difference between them is even less significant. RT reflections add more to cyberpunk than RTGI or PT. Its that simple.

If PT was making the game look next gen, GTA6 wouldnt have made it look last gen last night.

Mister Wolf

Actually, i am the one who is not cherrypicking because i go around town simply playing the game instead of waiting for time of day to change just so i can capture that perfect moment where the light bakes switch and you capture a massive difference.

People seem to think that baked lighting is somehow of worse quality than RTGI when baked lighting actually takes days if not weeks to bake in on fucking render farms. Insomniac said that baking in their city lighting used to well over a week, now its down to 4 days. People acting like baked lighting is aids or something when it is the same exact lighting model which is simply unable to handle dynamic elements. Dynamic elements that are not present in cyberpunk and almost every single last gen game. Even a game with lighting completely changing every few seconds like AW2 uses baked lighting and is able have lighting be dynamic and still look better than cyberpunk's lighting model.

And since you guys wont quit it. here you go. I tried to avoid reposting all the dozens of comparisons ive posted over the years but you all asked for it.

F7FI83NXIAAJkr3

F7FHaO3XgAAgZ6q

F7FI83oXgAAsHIk

F7FIJjoW0AAWD2K

FtjzQa5XoAElAzJ

FtjzQa5XwAEASJe

FtjzVwpWYAESdyT

FtjzVwYXoAU5rHt

I have more from last year that are standard rt vs psycho rt if you want me to continue spamming these pics. the difference between them is even less significant. RT reflections add more to cyberpunk than RTGI or PT. Its that simple.

If PT was making the game look next gen, GTA6 wouldnt have made it look last gen last night.

Baked lighting doesn't account for dynamic objects. Alan Wake 2 and the Northlight Engine doesn't just use baked lighting:

The real-time aspect of their lighting engine has been top tier since Quantum Break and if you remember the PC version of that game it was extremely demanding and would tank PCs. When you hear developers mention voxels in regards to lighting they are referring to software based raytracing much like Lumen using a voxel representation of the world. CryEngine's SVOGI traces with voxels as well. Lumen's software raytracing uses Signed Distance Field and Screen-Space representations of the world.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

nah, i use words. you just post gifs of literal retards and leave LOL emojis. i think we all know who is trolling.

You use words but I’m not sure you understand

Anything ray/path tracing inevitably upgrades through time.

You act like that’s a “gotcha moment”, laughable.

Shall we go through how many times rasterized lighting is wrong? The list is endless.

FireFly

I have more from last year that are standard rt vs psycho rt if you want me to continue spamming these pics. the difference between them is even less significant. RT reflections add more to cyberpunk than RTGI or PT. Its that simple.If PT was making the game look next gen, GTA6 wouldnt have made it look last gen last night.
The biggest difference between PT and regular lighting is in indirectly lit environments, and especially those with lots of dynamic objects. So yes, it's not going to be highly evident in outdoor vistas of skyscrapers. It's like how SSR is perfectly fine if everything in the reflection is in your field of view. You can take thousands of screenshots of SSR looking great.

CGNoire

Baked lighting doesn't account for dynamic objects. Alan Wake 2 and the Northlight Engine doesn't just use baked lighting:

The real-time aspect of their lighting engine has been top tier since Quantum Break and if you remember the PC version of that game it was extremely demanding and would tank PCs. When you hear developers mention voxels in regards to lighting they are referring to software based raytracing much like Lumen using a voxel representation of the world. CryEngine's SVOGI traces with voxels as well. Lumen's software raytracing uses Signed Distance Field and Screen-Space representations of the world.

So is AW2 using the same baked voxel grid that QB used? Ive always said its a great middle ground and looks fantastic.

Mister Wolf

So is AW2 using the same baked voxel grid that QB used? Ive always said its a great middle ground and looks fantastic.

AW2 is using the same Voxel GI for its indirect lighting. The Remedy developer presenting that GDC panel refers to it as Northlight's default. Alex talks about it here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom