• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters
Yes I have it on two platforms like it said.

I like games that actually work. That simple.

it doesn't even work now? wow, that's a big jump. how did I get through so many hours? man...

Game breaking and immersion breaking bugs absolutely detracts from the experience. Obviously.

so much that it makes it worse than the majority of games that are out that fundamentally have worse immersive concepts in the design itself?

for example, if a bug happened within the heist quest, or the brain dance quest with evelyn where you see adam smasher etc, is that quest now worse than say a standard quest in assassins creed, or a bethesda game?

It's more like if goodfellas crashed dozens of times, had broken audio and nasty visual glitches that remained throughout the movie to the point where you just said fuck it i'd rather watch something else.

this analogy only works in the scenario that the game isn't working at all lol and that's not the case.

same with a film, if the glitches in the film didn't prevent you from actually caring about the characters and what happens in the plot then you would still be entranced.

it's like if lord of the rings had that issue, guarantee I would still be able to note that movie is a masterpiece even if it had those surface glitches. what am I gonna go watch golden compass instead? lmao

It's doesn't matter if it's a better film if you can't enjoy it.

same point above.

The game has a nice story, and the world is visually impressive. Combat is decent, better than Fallout/Outer Worlds but let down by AI and level design. Probably a step below Deus Ex.

I don't think there's any first person RPG shitting on Cyberpunk, but I also haven't seen anything here yet blows anything else away either. It's a good representative game for the genre, but there's nothing here that we haven't seen before which is disappointing.

the quality and unique questlines, presentation, with deep a rpg attribute system, actual good and not stiff gun combat, side quest quality, and narrative all put into one first person RPG title has not been done to this degree...no. that's why it's got the press in the first place.

or please show me the first person RPG that has these quets, with this world, with this presentation, with this attribute system, with this combat that shits on fallout and deus ex HR/MD. and with these side quests. I wanna play the game that competes with that

Last edited:
it doesn't even work now? wow, that's a big jump. how did I get through so many hours? man...
I've gotten multiple hours out of it myself mate. And in those hours i've experienced multiple CTDs and game breaking bugs that required restarts. That, my friend, is not what I'd call a functional game,

so much that it makes it worse than the majority of games that are out that fundamentally have worse immersive concepts in the design itself?
Immersive? Fucking Skyrim has more immersion than this. The only "immersive" thing about this game is the npc density, and that's just a bloody thoughtless modifier.

for example, if a bug happened within the heist quest, or the brain dance quest with evelyn where you see adam smasher etc, is that quest now worse than say a standard quest in assassins creed, or a bethesda game?
From an enjoyment standpoint absolutely.

this analogy only works in the scenario that the game isn't working at all lol and that's not the case.
It's exactly what's happening with Cyberpunk. It's buggy, messy fucking game.

same with a film, if the glitches in the film didn't prevent you from actually caring about the characters and what happens in the plot then you would still be entranced.

it's like if lord of the rings had that issue, guarantee I would still be able to note that movie is a masterpiece even if it had those surface glitches. what am I gonna go watch golden compass instead? lmao
That's an impressive talent then. I doubt the majority of the world's population would be able to do that. Maybe if they read the books and just stopped looking at the film.

Immersive? Fucking Skyrim has more immersion than this. The only "immersive" thing about this game is the npc density, and that's just a bloody thoughtless modifier.

so when you're taking a quest from an NPC in skyrim, they move more naturally than the NPC speaking to you in cyberpunk? the world itself and the way NPC's act in that world is more immersive than in cyberpunk? the repetitive quests, is a more immersive experience for you? when you sneak up behind someone and you cant even have a sneak animation to kill them, and you only bluntly hit them with your blade in the same animation you always have, thats immersive to you?

Skyrim got shit on by the witcher lol let alone this. unless we have different ideas of immersion, but all in all the witcher, and this are better RPG's so what skyrim did is borderline irrelevant.

It's exactly what's happening with Cyberpunk. It's buggy, messy fucking game.

play a better first person RPG then, and give me the link to it, because im curious what that is.

That's an impressive talent then. I doubt the majority of the world's population would be able to do that. Maybe if they read the books and just stopped looking at the film.

if you wouldn't be able to tell that lord of the rings is a great film despite gltiches, then your eye for art is terrible lol most directors I'm sure would also be able to tell a great film behind such things. and they would still place higher value onto it, than a forgettable perfectly ran film.

but you're right, most people actually, statistically aren't very artistically inclined, thus very surface level with how they assess mediums. so you may be on to something lol

Last edited:
I'm about done with this so i'll just tell you this is not an immersive RPG. It's not. It's an open world single player story driven game that quit trying to be an immersive RPG half way through

Last edited:
I'm about done with this so i'll just tell you this is not an immersive RPG. It's not. It's an open world single player story driven game that quit trying to be an immersive RPG half way through

just give me that better first person RPG title. I really wanna play the game that'll make this look stupid. you seem to have great taste, so i'm sure you'll point me to this game that shits on this, I wanna play it

you must be playing some good shit.

Last edited:
it shits on this? gunplay? world? quests? presentation?

I heard the quests are good in new vegas, but do they shit on the quests in this?

is the gunplay better too? gunplay in NV must be like Doom eternal or somethin damn

asking for a friend

If your friend wants to play a character driven single player game. Tell them to play Cyberpunk

If your friend wants to play an actual RPG. Play New Vegas

Last edited:
My god even Red Dead Redemption is more of an RPG tha

If your friend wants to play a character driven single player game. Tell them to play Cyberpunk

If your friend wants to play an actual RPG. Play New Vegas

well TLOU is a single player story driven game. and that doesn't really have leveling or branching paths.

there's no stat build up or leveling in cyberpunk?

what constitutes as an "RPG"?

they both have divergent quests, they both have choices that affect the game overall and the turn out of situations.

they both also have expansive character customization and skill points to level, in fact i think cyberpunk has a bit more.

they both have loot and modifications to loot, in fact i think cyberpunk has more

so what makes one more of an RPG than the other?

Last edited:
well TLOU is a single player story driven game. and that doesn't really have leveling or branching paths.

there's no stat build up or leveling in cyberpunk?

what constitutes as an "RPG"?

they both have divergent quests, they both have choices that affect the game overall and the turn out of situations.

they both also have expansive character customization and skill points to level, in fact i think cybperunk has a bit more.

so what makes one more of an RPG than the other?

The biggest reason it's a better RPG? In fallout you have a character you can actually define yourself.

The biggest reason it's a better RPG? In fallout you have a character you can actually define yourself.

in what way. choices? does cyberpunk not have those? lol

and pretty sure all those other aspects that i listed are templates of an RPG

quality of Quests, varied loot/rewards, storytelling, and leveling systems are the heart of an rpg.

some games have bad quests, poor loot, meh storytelling and bad leveling systems. like skyrim, and kids make the mistake of thinking because it's a SANDBOX, it's an RPG. no.

SKyrim was successful to dude bros who couldnt tell that the quests, loot, and leveling were bad.

in what way. choices? does cyberpunk not have those? lol

and pretty sure all those other aspects that i listed are templates of an RPG

quality of Quests, varied loot/rewards, storytelling, and leveling systems are the heart of an rpg.

some games have bad quests, poor loot, meh storytelling and bad leveling systems. like skyrim, and kids make the mistake of thinking because it's a SANDBOX, it's an RPG. no.

SKyrim was successful to dude bros who couldnt tell that the quests, loot, and leveling were bad.

The skill tree is fucking irrelevent mate lol 9% extra damage to your pistols.

The only choices you can make in Cyberpunk are at the end of the missions. That's it. The loot system is also a fucking joke.

Skyrim is also a better RPG than this. Actual world interactivity, a better crime systems, can define your character and the leveling system is also better

Last edited:
In fact tell your friend to Play Read Dead Redemption 2 over Cyberpunk for a more immersive RPG experience. Even Arthur is more customisable than V

Last edited:

John2290

Angry Joe shilled out for his Polish pals. Hypocrite. If it was any other company we'd have an angry rant now so furious there'd be spit coming through our screens.

Last edited:
The skill tree is fucking irrelevent mate lol 9% extra damage to your pistols.

The only choices you can make in Cyberpunk are at the end of the missions. That's it. The loot system is also a fucking joke.

Skyrim is also a better RPG than this. Actual world interactivity, a better crime systems, can define your character and the leveling system is also better

irrelevant? there 4 different categories and they have expansive skill trees within each one. and then there's different section of skill trees on top of that

cool, tech, body, intelligence

for example, there's a section within tech where you skill tree blades specifically to where you can throw daggers, and sprint while carrying people and double jump. how is that irrelevant. you're a liar, you barely touched this game.

there are attributes where you improve your ability to detect those who are trying to hack you, or RAM upgrades, or you improve your ability to hack

did you even click on the titles of those categories, or did you only level up the base attribute? LOL

oh my goodness.

Cyberpunk_2077_Stealth_Perk_tree.png

cyberpunk2077_attributesandskills_skilltreeathletics-1200x675.jpg

76322_566_cyberpunk-2077-final-skill-trees-and-character-stats-revealed_full.png

Last edited:
irrelevant? there 4 different categories and they have expansive skill trees within each one. and then there's different section of skill trees on top of that

cool, tech, body, intelligence

for example, there's a section within tech where you skill tree blades specifically to where you can throw daggers, and sprint while carrying people and double jump. how is that irrelevant. you're a liar, you barely touched this game.

there are attributes where you improve your ability to detect those who are trying to hack you, or RAM upgrades, or you improve your ability to hack

did you even click on the titles of those categories, or did you only level up the base attribute? LOL

oh my goodness.

That have basically miniscule amount of difference in the combat, until you get to point 20 in some of them. It's a completely padded skill tree

There's a minor few that actually do SOMETHING, i.e poison to your weapons. The majority of them are worthless stat points. You're trying to make it sound like they have loads of substantial skills in this skill tree. They don't.

Also the double jump is a cyberware. Not in the skill tree.#

Again, fucking irrelevent.

Last edited:
That have basically miniscule amount of difference in the combat, until you get to point 20 in some of them. It's a completely padded skill tree

There's a minor few that actually do SOMETHING, i.e poison to your weapons. The majority of them are worthless stat points. You're trying to make it sound like they have loads of substantial skills in this skill tree. They don't.

Also the double jump is a cyberware. Not in the skill tree.#

Again, fucking irrelevent.

which is basically another mechanism of leveling something up about your character. they just did it in a more creative way, cyberware or otherwise

You're cherry picking the only worthwhile skills in fat irrelevent skill tree lmao

the other aspects of the tree aren't irrelevant, as there are plenty of different trees. so how could you even say that.

Im still baffled you said skyrim was a better RPG. lmao

quests, loot variety, leveling. none of that means shit to you. and quests are THE most important thing, the sould of the game lol. clearly you give no fucks xD

Last edited:
which is basically another mechanism of leveling something up about your character. they just did it in a more creative way, cyberware or otherwise

It's not creative lmao

The skill tree is fucking worthless. It has no right to be as big as it is, and the cyberwear? Even fucking Deus Ex has better augments than this

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
In fact tell your friend to Play Read Dead Redemption 2 over Cyberpunk for a more immersive RPG experience. Even Arthur is more customisable than V
It's not very much fun though. Like RDR2 is the king of verisimilitude in a lot of ways, but would you rather be eating jerky and making campfires in 19th century Oregon (or wherever, I know it's fake) or cruising Night City for adventure?

Cyberpunk is an incredibly compelling world, both in terms of the realization and style and the lore and storytelling, which is really what matters in an RPG.

It's not very much fun though. Like RDR2 is the king of verisimilitude in a lot of ways, but would you rather be eating jerky and making campfires in 19th century Oregon (or wherever, I know it's fake) or cruising Night City for adventure?

Cyberpunk is an incredibly compelling world, both in terms of the realization and style and the lore and storytelling, which is really what matters in an RPG.

It's a static world that's pretty to look at and that's really it.

What matters more in an RPG is your ability to interact with the world, not just look at it.

Last edited:

What matters more in an RPG is your ability to interact with the world, not just look at it.

but shit quests dont matter huh? skyrim was so bad that once you get the best sword...thats pretty much it. that's a wrap, no need to look for anything else lol

oblivion and morrowind was better.

but shit quests dont matter huh? skyrim was so bad that once you get the best sword...thats pretty much it. that's a wrap, no need to look for anything else lol

oblivion and morrowind was better.

Yup oblivion and morrowind were better. And it's still a better RPG regardless of the writing quality

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yes, but to that end the game is absolutely packed with shit to do, and fleshed out with actual good storytelling and it lets you play those stories out with a good amount of interesting choice.

It doesn't matter if I can't go to the convenience store and pick up pomade for my hair, role playing is about telling your story and giving the player choices.

Yup oblivion and morrowind were better. I didn't bring up Skyrim you did. And it's still a better RPG regardless of the writing quality

do you feel it's a better RPG than the witcher 3 too lol

your credibility is on the line.

quests are a crucial component of an RPG. but I see you're a bethesda fan

Last edited:
Yes, but to that end the game is absolutely packed with shit to do, and fleshed out with actual good storytelling and it lets you play those stories out with a good amount of interesting choice.

It doesn't matter if I can't go to the convenience store and pick up pomade for my hair, role playing is about telling your story and giving the player choices.

Cyberpunk has fuck all choice though. Both in your ability to interact with the world or to define your character

is the witcher 3 a worse rpg than skyrim or morrowind or oblivion.

answer that. I wanna see what kinda gamer you are lol

Definitley worse than morrowind or oblivion

I'm not sure where you think Witcher is the better RPG than either of those

Character customisation, stat progression, world interacivity, your choices in the game.

Please enlightment me

Last edited:
Cyberpunk has fuck all choice though. Both in your ability to interact with the world or to define your character

world interaction doesn't define an RPG though.

like I said. quests, leveling, loot variety and rewards, and central story are the general tenents of an RPG

hell SKYRIM AND ELDER SCROLLS LEVELED WITH YOU

WITCHER 3 DID NOT, HENCE GIVING YOU A BETTER INSTANCE OF PROGRESSION

the witcher 3 did what modders HAD to MOD oblvion and elder scrolls to do.

Last edited:
world interaction doesn't define an RPG though.

like I said. quests, leveling, loot variety and rewards, and central story are the general tenents of an RPG

hell SKYRIM AND ELDER SCROLLS LEVELED WITH YOU

The core of an RPG is that it's your story to craft. Cyberpunk completely fails there on top of the loot and progression

Game is AMAZING! On PC now about 8 hours in and performance has been nearly flawless. Not a single crash and only a couple very small graphical glitches.

If the rest of the game is as good as the Prologue this is an easy GOTG and easily the most atmospheric game ever made.

The core of an RPG is that it's your story to craft. Cyberpunk completely fails there on top of the loot and progression

no that's the bethesda montra of an RPG. RPG's started off class based and valued quests variety and loot

mind you those games do some NOOB shit, and LEVEL WITH YOU

WE MODDED THAT SHIT OUT OF THE GAME.

witcher 3 needed no such mod.

an RPG is supposed to have run into things that are wayyyy higher level than you, and you progress to feel the reward of surpassing it. thats normal RPG shit man. bethesda dumbs that shit down.

you're talking about a SANDBOX. not an RPG

Last edited:
no that's the bethesda montra of an RPG. RPG's started off class based and valued quests variety and loot

mind you those games do some NOOB shit, and LEVEL WITH YOU

WE MODDED THAT SHIT OUT OF THE GAME.

witcher 3 needed no such mod.

an RPG is supposed to have run into things that are wayyyy higher level than you, and you progress to feel the reward of surpassing it. thats normal RPG shit man. bethesda dumbs that shit down.

Where do you think RPGs originated from?

SF Kosmo

Totally disagree, like Deus Ex, it always gives you multiple approaches and stories can play out in different ways, and sometimes loop back in to the larger story as well. Can't think of a lot of games that do that better. Maybe Divinity Original Sin or whatever.

If you define your character strictly in terms of look, maybe, but that's not what I come for.

Where do you think RPGs originated from?

answer my point.

skyrim LEVELS WITH YOU

so theres no progression

OBLIVION levels with you, so theres no progression

theres no weapon degradation in SKYRIM, so you can have the best sword from JUMP and never need to change it or explore for more.

witcher 3 you need to LEVEL and PROGRESS to REACH such things, AND THERES MORE LOOT VARIETY. so exploration never ends.
plus the quests are BETTER.

Last edited:
Totally disagree, like Deus Ex, it always gives you multiple approaches and stories can play out in different ways, and sometimes loop back in to the larger story as well. Can't think of a lot of games that do that better. Maybe Divinity Original Sin or whatever.

If you define your character strictly in terms of look, maybe, but that's not what I come for.

Endings play out in different ways and that's it really. V is a pre defined character with no customisation.

It's an incredibly barebones game in terms of choice. Diologue options do basically nothing.

you like sandboxes kid, not RPG's lol

there's a reason why the mod commmunity had to mod the fuck out of skyrim to make it not level with you like a true RPG.

Last edited:
Endings play out in different ways and that's it really. V is a pre defined character with no customisation.

It's an incredibly barebones game in terms of choice. Diologue options do basically nothing.

not true at all lol there's entire fights and deaths that either avoided, or happen based upon the dialogue. what are you talking about lol

Stop acting like a retard and we can continue.

Also look up Dungeons and Dragons so you understand what RPGs are

Hell, the fucking tabletop game this is based on is about defining your own character, which this is not.

you're really running out of arguments lmao

in gaming, classic RPG's were based upon systems in which quests and leveling of enemies mattered. even souls follows some form of enemies/worlds being higher level than you.

Bethesda streamlined this with oblivion and Skyrim and made enemies level with you. the point is that you need to progress, that is the pillar of an RPG. not JUST character defining.

man you have some dudebro takes lol

Yes, at the end of missions like i just said. Diologue outside of that does nothing.

not true, some of this happens in the middle of conversation and ultimately leads to deaths later, or someone losing their job, or someone not liking you, or someone fucking you etc. once again, what are you talking about lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom