• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yes, at the end of missions like i just said. Diologue outside of that does nothing.
So other than leading to completely different consequences which may or may not effect later quest, it does nothing. Got it.

Honestly, you're really losing the forest for the trees here. This game manages to combine immersive sim, RPG, and open world action adventure in a really compelling way, and it's a great game.

It is not a game that redefines gaming, and there are some things that other games have done better, but it's still remarkable in ambition and execution and the first really great game of the new generation.

So other than leading to completely different consequences which may or may not effect later quest, it does nothing. Got it.

Honestly, you're really losing the forest for the trees here. This game manages to combine immersive sim, RPG, and open world action adventure in a really compelling way, and it's a great game.

It is not a game that redefines gaming, and there are some things that other games have done better, but it's still remarkable in ambition and execution and the first really great game of the new generation.

It fails at being an immersive sim. It fails at being an RPG. It's really only good at being an action adventure game.

assofcanwhooping likes streamlined rpg's that level with you lol

shit the mod community had to try and fix lmao

he also doesn't mind shit quests

dudebro takes

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I think I just finished the prologue and there is this mission with Meredith and Maelstrom, you know the one they showed in the demo, and i think there is a lot of choices on how to approach this mission, and within it you can do stuff too, i won't spoil, but basically there is a lot of different choices and approaches and consequences to do regarding that one, also gameplay wise more than one approach or style of gameplay.
I dont agree with "Ass of Can Whooping" here, Cyberpunk as an RPG is looking good so far.
I dont want to compare it with older RPGs though as those older ones were not this ambitious about every part of the game design, sometimes in older RPGs they will not aim to do what Cyberpunk 2077 aimed to do (unfortunately that led to lot of issues but i can see the potential they were thinking about) So comparing Cyberpunk to older RPGs seems unfair imo, probably some game design sacrifices had to be made to TRY and make this one, its sad it didnt work as intended though.

Anyways im enjoying the game as it is so far on my high end PC.
Main Quests are great (Side still not doing as im in prologue), Looting is not my preference as it has similarities with a game i dislike (Borderlands), Atmosphere is top tier thanks to the art direction and soundtrack, Characters are interesting.
Hope for a great DLC for more "Active perks"
I also hope the game get better (while its working fine for me) im not happy to see the current situation for this game, i want it to do well as i like the past games of CDPR and what they did in the past, but they fucked up this time, and hopefully things get better in the future.

anothertech

People making harsh judgements when not even 20% into the game lol.

In a month, a few patches later, you're going to look like fucktards. As usual.

This is probably TGA winner 2021.

I think I just finished the prologue and there is this mission with Meredith and Maelstrom, you know the one they showed in the demo, and i think there is a lot of choices on how to approach this mission, and within it you can do stuff too, i won't spoil, but basically there is a lot of different choices and approaches and consequences to do regarding that one, also gameplay wise more than one approach or style of gameplay.
I dont agree with "Ass of Can Whooping" here, Cyberpunk as an RPG is looking good so far.
I dont want to compare it with older RPGs though as those older ones were not this ambitious about every part of the game design, sometimes in older RPGs they will not aim to do what Cyberpunk 2077 aimed to do (unfortunately that led to lot of issues but i can see the potential they were thinking about) So comparing Cyberpunk to older RPGs seems unfair imo, probably some game design sacrifices had to be made to TRY and make this one, its sad it didnt work as intended though.

Main Quests are great (Side still not doing as im in prologue), Looting is not my preference as it has similarities with a game i dislike (Borderlands), Atmosphere is top tier thanks to the art direction and soundtrack, Characters are interesting.
I also hope the game get better (while its working fine for me) im not happy to see the current situation for this game, i want it to do well as i like the past games of CDPR and what they did in the past, but they fucked up this time, and hopefully things get better in the future.

this.

Mozzarella

Vampire: Masqurade then if you're after the first person criteria.

Point is. Cyberpunk is a barebones RPG. You've just been brought up wrong.
I like VTMB a lot but it had what Cyberpunk is currently having, a mess of a release, a lot of bugs and technical issues. Just like this one, VTMB maybe have more depth in classes and RPG elements, but thats at the cost of a basic dull world design and mediocre technical stuff, bad combat, controls are horrible, almost nothing to explore, limited soundtrack variety and so on... the scope for it was not as big but as an RPG its was great and after the patches and fixes the game got better and became a cult classic. I can see a similar future for Cyberpunk.

Man I need to learn to not get into arguments with these retarded neo members

nah no one agrees with you here man, face it. you have really bad takes, and said that skyrim was a better RPG than the witcher because of it's sandbox nature. and because it lets you create a character.

I still have my doubts you played the game lol clearly you're biased against it.

Krisprolls

Banned
I like the game too, but there's too much looting and objects, and the NPCs are extremely disappointing. They feel lifeless, they don't react to you enough, sometimes you shoot themselves and they even stand still... They each have one line of dialogue, only one... Their AI is extremely weak. GTA 5 did that part better and that was 10 years ago so it's hard to find excuses here.

Makes it hard to believe you're in a real world. Whatever version you play, it doesn't matter, those weaknesses are on every version.

Quests are nice though, with a lot of possible paths. It's a mixed bag for me. I think I got caught in the hype a bit too much.

Last edited:
I like the game too, but there's too much looting and objects, and the NPCs are extremely disappointing. They feel lifeless, they don't react to you enough, sometimes you shoot themselves and they even stand still... They each have one line of dialogue, only one...

Makes it hard to believe you're in a real world.

Quests are nice though, with a lot of possible paths. It's a mixed bag for me. I think I got caught in the hype a bit too much.

CDPR markted as one thing but made something else in the end is the issue. Media completely bought into the hype to so it's not suprise.

Last edited:
I like VTMB a lot but it had what Cyberpunk is currently having, a mess of a release, a lot of bugs and technical issues. Just like this one, VTMB maybe have more depth in classes and RPG elements, but thats at the cost of a basic dull world design and mediocre technical stuff, bad combat, controls are horrible, almost nothing to explore, limited soundtrack variety and so on... the scope for it was not as big but as an RPG its was great and after the patches and fixes the game got better and became a cult classic. I can see a similar future for Cyberpunk.
this again. I think he's just picking titles on the basis of "hm whats a good rpg title that'll make me look like I know what I'm talking about" lol

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Dvinity and Baldurs Gate are examples of actual RPGs
Okay, yeah, I mean this is apples and oranges I think, these are very different games. Games like Divinity and BG are more reactive that Cyberpunk, but it comes at a cost, too. Those games are simply not as immersive in their mechanics, gameplay, presentation, or visual fidelity.

Cyberpunk is doing a lot. It's hard to point to any game that is doing what it does better as a whole package. It's certainly a better Deus Ex than the last one, it's at least as good at role-playing and storytelling as the Witcher 3 and it delivers a scale and scope of its city on par with any GTA.

Krisprolls

Banned
CDPR markted as one thing but made something else in the end is the issue. Media completely bought into the hype to so it's not suprise.

Yes, I really thought they had made the open world the center of the game, with great NPCs (and so great AI too). They were constantly talking about Night City. But it's really hard to believe it's a real city when NPCs stand still with a single one liner and basically zero AI.

It's a nice single player quest based game, you feel they have great quest writers, but the open world itself is the weakest part of the game. They need to at least patch the NPCs and their AI.

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, I mean this is apples and oranges I think, these are very different games. Games like Divinity and BG are more reactive that Cyberpunk, but it comes at a cost, too. Those games are simply not as immersive in their mechanics, gameplay, presentation, or visual fidelity.

Cyberpunk is doing a lot. It's hard to point to any game that is doing what it does better as a whole package. It's certainly a better Deus Ex than the last one, it's at least as good at role-playing and storytelling as the Witcher 3 and it delivers a scale and scope of its city on par with any GTA.

It's really not doing a lot. It's a visually impressive large open world game, but it's not doing alot.

Yes, I really thought they had made the open world the center of the game, with great NPCs (and so great AI too). They were constantly talking about Night City. But it's really hard to believe it's a real city when NPCs stand still with a single one liner and basically zero AI.

It's a nice single player quest based game, but the open world itself is the weakest part of the game. They need to at least patch the NPCs and their AI.

it's designed similarly to the witcher 3. that's what I think was the more sensible expectation...

Hadoukie

It's funny, because while it may be a good RPG, it's a terrible fucking game; borderline unplayable due to the shit combat and bugs. There's even less choice in that game until the very end, and no way to avoid a lot of fights. Cyberpunk is a far more successful game in that regard. So yeah, bad comparison.

It's really not doing a lot. It's a visually impressive large open world game, but it's not doing alot.

then respond to the guy that just told you it is doing alot, he made a pretty good case for it doing alot and you ignored him like a intellectually dishonest coward.

and only responded to someone you can agree with, man for someone who's been on gaf for so long you really have some bro takes.

Krisprolls

Banned
it's designed similarly to the witcher 3. that's what I think was the more sensible expectation...

Yes, and I expected more. I loved Witcher 3 though, and the quests are still great in Cyberpunk, so the game is still very good, I'm just a bit disappointed in the world itself.

It feels more like the continuation of existing open world games than a revolution by itself. Outside of the verticality of the city maybe.

Fortunately, the quality of the quests are carrying the game, like in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
then respond to the guy that just told you it is doing alot, he made a pretty good case for it doing alot and you ignored him like a intellectually dishonest coward.

and only responded to someone you can agree with, man for someone who's been on gaf for so long you really have some bro takes.

Who said they were doing alot?

Yes, and I expected more. I loved Witcher 3 though, and the quests are still great in Cyberpunk, so the game is still very good, I'm just a bit disappointed in the world itself.

It feels more like the continuation of existing open world games than a revolution by itself. Outside of the verticality of the city maybe.

what made you expect more? this game does alot well, but i feel it's ridiculous that people expected it to be better than every game at everything. even things those other titles put the majority of their focus in.

like GTA with it's NPC reactions

Krisprolls

Banned
what made you expect more? this game does alot well, but i feel it's ridiculous that people expected it to be better than every game at everything. even things those other titles put the majority of their focus in.

like GTA with it's NPC reactions

Well, their marketing was centered about feeling the life in Night City, with everything buzzing and all.

That's not at all the impression you get when you play. The illusion of a buzzing city dies as soon as you get close of a NPC or try to interact with them.

Had they centered their marketing on their real strong points, the quests and the characters, I would probably have been less disappointed.

They wanted us to believe it was a revolution in open world games. Outside of the verticality of the city, I just don't see it.

Last edited:
So the person I already responded to? And no he didn't say what it's doing. Just that its doing alot. Which it isn't.

Go back to school kid

also mozzerella

and you didn't respond with anything of substance you idiot. you just said "no it's not" lol

Last edited:
The Maelstrom mission? You either side with the Maelstrom at the end or you side with the militech, and it doesn't matter.

Litterally what i've already been repeating.
you didn't respond with anything of substance to either of these people, you basically just said "no it's not"

I more so meant when mozzerella said that the games aren't comparable to older titles; being that CP is doing alot more than those titles.

remember when I told you to argue against the "doing alot" arguments?

you didn't respond with anything of substance to either of these people, you basically just said "no it's not"

I more so meant when mozzerella said that the games aren't comparable to older titles; being that CP is doing alot more than those titles.

remember when I told you to argue against the "doing alot" arguments?

Once again, what's it "doing alot" off

You're saying this but not telling me. It's a visually impressive large open world. That's what it's doing.

THEAP99

Banned
Well, their marketing was centered about feeling the life in Night City, with everything buzzing and all.

That's not at all the impression you get when you play. The illusion of a buzzing city dies as soon as you get close of a NPC or try to interact with them.

Had they centered their marketing on their real strong points, the quests and the characters, I would probably have been less disappointed.

They wanted us to believe it was a revolution in open world games. Outside of the verticality of the city, I just don't see it.
Dude. No wonder why when I shoot people on the highway cops appear out of nowhere. WTF. Even Mafia 2 remastered has cops chase u in cars.

EpAxaL1W4AI6tTO

Honestly, after exploring this map looking for dynamic things to do for the last two hours and finding nothing besides a shootout and some dumb loot, this should've been linear. There is NO point to the open world other than it being pretty.

Main quests are good, but outside of quests this game is a waste of time.

Reactions: GHG
I can't believe I'm seeing people comparing this to Grand theft Auto v look they're very different and you're not getting this game if you're thinking it's like Grand theft Auto. The thing is if you're in the right mindset which is you want some kind of RPG experience similar to Deus ex this is easily Head and shoulders beyond a game like Grand theft Auto v for people like us. Like when you talk about the minutia of random pedestrians reacting to you and stuff it's just whatever to me honestly that minutiae stuff was even better in Grand theft Auto IV Grand theft Auto v was actually a downgrade from it go watch the crowbcat vid if you don't believe me.

This is bigger picture game everything else serves the immersive sim aspect. you can go around trying to break the game logic of specific things but you're not really meeting it at its level when you do that and you're not really being fair because Rockstar is so much bigger than CD projekt red and even Rockstar downgraded from Grand theft Auto 4 to 5 when it came to all this stuff and then you look at Grand theft Auto IV from an open world standpoint was technically a downgrade from San Andreas.

I'm picturing you guys were the same sort of people who are nitpicking fallout New Vegas when it came out and were the reason it actually scored lower than fallout 3 despite being clearly the better game. I say whatever to all of you that's right whatever.

He said nothing. He just compared it to other games and said nothing of what its actually doing

to sf kosmo, you responded by saying it fails to be an RPG. we already argued about what an RPG is, but you seem to only value sandbox qualities in an RPG. and ignore everything else. you CLEARLY dont care about quests either and want to omit that entirely because you know that cyberpunk is good at that lol

Last edited:

Stuart360

Dude. No wonder why when I shoot people on the highway cops appear out of nowhere. WTF. Even Mafia 2 remastered has cops chase u in cars.

EpAxaL1W4AI6tTO

Honestly, after exploring this map looking for dynamic things to do for the last two hours and finding nothing besides a shootout and some dumb loot, this should've been linear. There is NO point to the open world other than it being pretty.

Main quests are good, but outside of quests this game is a waste of time.
Yeah i noticed that too.
Night City is very much window dressing, with little actual 'life' to it so to speak.
Its a shame, and its obvious to me that the game needed another year or two, but i suppose they probably couldnt do that financially.
Its a good solid game, and i'm having fun, but yeah its far from any kind of revolution, and i'd even say its behind Ubisoft open world games in a lot of ways.

to sf kosmo, you responded by saying it fails to be an RPG. we already argued about what an RPG is, but you seem to only value sandbox qualities in an RPG. and ignore everything else. you CLEARLY dont care about quests either and want to omit that entirely because you know that cyberpunk is good at that lol

He just said it combines an immersive sim, RPG and action adventure in a compelling way

That's a nothing argument. You're not telling me what it's actually doing

Here's what its not doing

No AI in driving
No interactivity in the world
No "handcrafted" dialy routines for NPCs like they initially said there'd be
No actual diologue with NPC besides a select few just related to quests
Severe lack of dyanmic events

It's a lifeless open world that's pretty and does nothing.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Yeah i noticed that too.
Night City is very much window dressing, with little actual 'life' to it so to speak.
Its a shame, and its obvious to me that the game needed another year or two, but i suppose they probably couldnt do that financially.
Its a good solid game, and i'm having fun, but yeah its far from any kind of revolution, and i'd even say its behind Ubisoft open world games in a lot of ways.
It's mind bongling to me because even witcher 3 had some incentive to explore. what a downgrade imo. should've kept it linear but i think they wanted some people to think it's gta. i know my casual friends did.

in other news, someone explain to me how helping out cops in shootouts increases my fucking street cred?!!? CyberPUNK? WTF!!!

Top Bottom