• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

cyberpunk vs GTA 3

whats better open world

• GTA3

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • cyberpunk

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • phantom liberties

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • faaaaaaaatso

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

amigastar

IMO you had to be there to really appreciate GTA 3 as a game and what it did to the whole gaming industry.
I remember playing it at a friends house all night long, it was fantastic.
From the Radio Stations to missions, cutscenes and graphics, physics and even to footsteps on the blood.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Chris Farley Crypto GIF by Chubbiverse

StueyDuck

IMO you had to be there to really appreciate GTA 3 as a game and what it did to the whole gaming industry.
From the Radio Stations to missions, cutscenes and even to footsteps on the blood.
the game is still impressive to this day and still puts open worlds to shame.

i personally wish GTA would go back to it's mob routes though, Italians vs Haitians vs Yakuza or something like that. I know mafia exists but they really aren't GTA games as much as i adore them.

I would also thing it would be wild if a smaller rockstar team (actual rockstar , not grove street games) did a 1950s rockstar style GTA game, no not LA Noire, like a proper full on GTA game except you are running booze, providing protection , working your way up the family , get betrayed by the don, inevitably take him out. all that good stuff.

TastyPastry

the radio stations are still definitely better in gta 3. that being said cyberpunk 2077 gives me a lot of oldschool gta vibes, more so than the new ones. i think it's mostly the distinct gangs, hell gta 2 was pretty much a cyberpunk gta game

StereoVsn

If OP put in Vice City or GTA IV then it would have been a more interesting comparison. Personally I didn’t dig OG GTA III too much , but Vice City had an amazing atmosphere, Miami Vice all the way.

And GTA IV NYC was very well done as well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
GTA 3 simply because the world is actually part of the gameplay. It's an arcade game that's different every time you play it and having your missions fucked up by traffic/cops is part of the game. Cyberpunk's city looks great but it just window dressing when you fast travel between missions.

GymWolf

Cyberpunk is the obvious answer (but is it tho?) but i don't love that game nearly as much as i love gta3.

The novelty alone was enough to make me play 10 hours without a pause when i started the game, never happened again with other games.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
A strange comparison to make. They each have their own strengths and were products of completely different eras in gaming.

There will always be a place in my heart for GTA3. It still does some things better than any open world since. But Cyberpunk is crawling further up my all-time list every day. I keep finding more and more in it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
GTA3 for me and mostly due to Chatterbox/Lazlow.

I still have no idea what CP2077 has going for it. Every time I boot it up I find myself exiting the game after 20 minutes and deleting it. It's always felt like a bunch of ideas slapped together that don't work well.

Last edited:
I was 11 when GTA 3 came out. It was right after 9/11 and every adult was a bit solemn. I went to the store to buy it with my dad and a friend of mine. I'll never forget the moment when I ran a hooker over with my car and my dad said, "I probably shouldn't of bought that game for you guys", and just walked out the room. It was too late

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Also: Radio in GTA 3 >>>>>>> Radio in Cyberpunk 2077.
I'd say Cyberpunk radio is also pretty good. The problem is you spend very little time driving there unlike gta 3 so you rarely get to the bangers, especially with how big the radio stations are.

Well, seem they added the option to listen to it on foot too so there's that at least.

Hudo

I'd say Cyberpunk radio is also pretty good. The problem is you spend very little time driving there unlike gta 3 so you rarely get to the bangers, especially with how big the radio stations are.

Well, seem they added the option to listen to it on foot too so there's that at least.
Fair enough. It's actually true that you spend way more time driving in GTA 3.... but driving is a lot more fun in GTA 3 as well, imho. Doesn't feel right in Cyberpunk.

That being said, Cyberpunk has the not-Akira bike, which is hella dope.

Woggleman

By today's standards is Cyberpunk but in 2001 GTA3 was a before and after kind of moment. It pretty much created the modern open world.

FUBARx89

Fair enough. It's actually true that you spend way more time driving in GTA 3.... but driving is a lot more fun in GTA 3 as well, imho. Doesn't feel right in Cyberpunk.

That being said, Cyberpunk has the not-Akira bike, which is hella dope.

GTA 3 driving is horrendous and always has been though. The health of the vehicles is awful aswell.

Genre, generational & video games in general defining game though.

Puscifer

From the Radio Stations to missions, cutscenes and graphics, physics and even to footsteps on the blood.
Said it before and I'll say it again. You just knew video games were never going to be same after picking up a prostitute, having sex with her, killing her and getting your money back.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I still remember vividly playing GTA3 on my dads computer at launch.
Near the projects where you found the phone booth to talk to el burro, there was a downward slope that went under a bridge. It was night time in game and the special effect of the brake light of the car i was driving was better than real to me. I cannot even explain it but the image of the car going downward under the bridge with two trails of red light left by the brake lights is imprinted in my mind.

Cyberpunk is a god tier game also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom