• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show fails to get a single Emmy nomination for first time in 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
And this has been a year that was ripe for satire.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-daily-show-fails-to-net-emmy-nomination-for-first-time-in-15-years/

For the first time in fifteen years, Comedy Central’s The Daily Show was not nominated for an Emmy Award Thursday.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart had been nominated for the Emmy for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series every year since 2001. Under host Jon Stewart, the show won that category a record-setting ten consecutive times and netted twenty-three Emmys and sixty nominations across all categories.

But 2016 marks the first Emmy Award season under new host Trevor Noah. Noah’s version of the show (which has also struggled in the ratings), failed to get a single nod.

Also missing from the nomination slate is Comedy Central’s second parody news panel show, The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore; the show’s predecessor The Colbert Report won seven Emmys and was nominated forty-one times. Meanwhile, The Colbert Report‘s former host Stephen Colbert failed to get a single nomination after taking over hosting duties of CBS’s Late Show.

SJRB

Gold Member
Haven't watched a single episode since Stewart left; did the show really drop in quality?

Slightly offtopic, but Last Week Tonight can't win enough awards, genius show.

Cartman86

Banned
I wouldn't nominate Daily Show. The "spinoffs" are just better. and deserve the noms (which they got). Yeah Oliver is fantastic, but I think the surprise has been Bee. Probably shouldn't have been, but with this saturation you expect something to fall through and none really have. Wilmore is the show on Comedy Central that should deserve anything.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still watch the show but it is pretty clear that it's the writers that are keeping the show afloat. I like Trevor as a person but it seems clear to me that he doesn't yet have the kind of personally-invested cynicism that's needed for political satire in today's political climate.

this_guy

I haven't watched the Daily Show in years but I have started watching Last Week with John Oliver. Oliver's show is entertaining and educational.

massoluk

Banned
Yeah... tune in for a bit.. the show isn't as good. There's no bite to it. Samantha Bee did a better job on that biting mockery. She was great. Too bad only John Oliver out of graduates got the nod.

I wouldn't nominate Daily Show. The "spinoffs" are just better. and deserve the noms (which they got). Yeah Oliver is fantastic, but I think the surprise has been Bee. Probably shouldn't have been, but with this saturation you expect something to fall through and none really have. Wilmore is the show on Comedy Central that should deserve anything.

I've only seen it a few times, but Wilmore often insults and cuts off his guests. Often times, it's just the "let's laugh at this person with an opposing view" show.

I wonder if the show continues to stagnate into the prime political season, will they axe both and replace with something new?

I used to watch TDS every night, and Colbert 2-3x a week. Haven't watched either in months now, I tried for a while but it just was so bland and information-free that it became way more entertaining just watching twitch at night - hell, I love watching bob ross and julia childs reruns on those channels now, can't be good I find 20-30 year old reruns way more fun than new content from these two shows.

It'd be great if CC would replace them with an hourly variety block with rotating hosts and topics. Cooking, sports, video games, movies, TV, politics, etc just in podcast panel format with funny people talking about whats going on in the world today. I mean there are a million podcasts out there, I don't listen to 99% of them, but I'd love if they could get a rotating cast out of the top podcasts onto a live show every night. Can't be that expensive either.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is Trevor really that bad? Maybe he's still trying to find his footing

People say this but he has been on there since September, I find it a bit ridiculous when people say you have to give him a few years for the show to be good.

WillyFive

Last Week had picked up the torch, I think. They deserve the Emmy. I am not compelled at all to watch Daily Show, Noah does some good jokes but one doesn't feel compelled to hear his opinion on current events like one did with Stewart or does with Oliver.

Also, Colbert's new show is obviously watered down and weak compared to the genius he produced with the Colbert Report.

pxleyes

Banned
I've come to a simple conclusion why Trevor doesn't work as host. He isn't American. Now at first glance that sounds incredibly obtuse, but hear me out. Jon, given his age and where he grew up and lived, was witness to a lot of strife and change in this country. When 11pm would roll around and you would sit to listen to John speak, you knew he came from a place of experience and care. Not that Trevor doesn't care. I think eh does care about the issues. However, his attitude come across as satirical "haha, Americans are dumb" instead of the biting commentary Jon would provide. If the The Daily Show is going to continue, they need a host like John or Samantha who have that same fire for the issues and stewardship over what their voice can add to the national discourse.

Salmonax

I'd go as far to say it's difficult to watch now.

Agreed. It makes me uncomfortable as the jokes constantly fall flat and Noah laughs at his own delivery. Whatever the reason, after giving it a few months I realized I wasn't watching it anymore and took it off my DVR.

I haven't watched the Daily Show in years but I have started watching Last Week with John Oliver. Oliver's show is entertaining and educational.
It's just a better use of your time. Once a week, devoid of stupid celebrity interviews, no commercials, no censorship, etc.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've only seen it a few times, but Wilmore often insults and cuts off his guests. Often times, it's just the "let's laugh at this person with an opposing view" show.

Yep.

I don't necessarily agree with Stewart's views, but I always respected him because he respected his guests. Regardless of political agenda, context, anger, etc... his guests always had a fair opportunity to get in their word, and he wouldn't go change the subject, he would debate THAT particular comment. Very awesome, and the reason I watched his show religiously; but haven't bothered with a single other similar show, ever, save for a few episodes here and there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Samantha Bee's stuff is funnier than john Oliver. Though John has been making some incredible segments for a while now.

Samantha Bee will clean up next year and beyond. My god she is brutal.

BokehKing

Banned
Let's just say you don't see many articles or Facebook shares anymore about the host of the Daily Show laying the hammer down anymore.

With the year we had, I wish Jon Stewart was still around.

Feel bad for Trevor. To me it feels like he had impossible high shoes to fill.

I don't dislike him, though he only occasionally pop up in my youtube feed.

Mr. F

Banned
I feel like Bee is the strongest out of the DS alumni, Oliver was entertaining for a time (and I appreciate his continued focus on lesser-covered topics) but once you recognize the patterns in his general writing formula it gets pretty hard to watch. The repeated yelling of names thing is particularly grating/feels lazy.

ZealousD

Is Trevor really that bad? Maybe he's still trying to find his footing

The writers are feeding him most of the material, and when it is clear that his hands are at the wheel, he's usually making a joke about how the current situation compares to South Africa. He still seems somewhat divorced from the American experience.

John Oliver acts British every once in awhile but you can tell he is emotionally invested in America in a way that that Trevor isn't yet. Not that Oliver is perfect, either. He leans a little too hard on the bit where he acts out some kind of bizarre metaphor.

Balphon

Stewart was mostly just coasting on inertia over his last few years.

Though I think the format may be holding the show back more than the content.

ZealousD

I feel like Bee is the strongest out of the DS alumni, Oliver was entertaining for a time (and I appreciate his continued focus on lesser-covered topics) but once you recognize the patterns in his general writing formula it gets pretty hard to watch. The repeated yelling of names thing is particularly grating/feels lazy.

Last Week Tonight tries to do these hard journalism opinion pieces and then once they are done they toss in the jokes. It means they rely on comedic metaphors way too often because they are so easy to throw in. They often cant find the inherent humor of the problem they are covering.

Haven't watched a single episode since Stewart left; did the show really drop in quality?

Noah tried to make it his own, and that's laudable, but nothing he's done has really landed. He turned the opening segment into something more resembling a late night talk show monologue and something about it felt so weird and off until he eventually went back behind the desk.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Trevor Noah is funny at times but right at this moment he is floundering.

Wilmore's show turned me off when he kept on bringing the dumbest people on for his show's roundtable. He gave a soapbox to a vaccine conspricasist and acted like her insight was valid. Then the Bill Nye thing happened.

Cartman86

Banned
It's just not believable to watch a South African talk about American politics like he genuinely cares. That's what kills a lot of it for me.

I hate to admit it, but there are times where I feel the same way. There are obviously things that people around the world will know about US politics (far more then we do about the rest of the world), but there are specific references and topics that are so local and specific it breaks the reality. It's certainly the case that even American hosts don't understand every reference and topic, but the illusion crumbles easier with Noah (and Oliver sometimes as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom