• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show fails to get a single Emmy nomination for first time in 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Bee is best. Really enjoy Oliver's format but I never found him funny in material or delivery.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sort of agree. I think he often comes off as condescending too.

That's fine (and actually a bit welcoming), but I don't like how he repeats the same line in a louder voice.

Bee is just hot fire. I hope she can sustain it.

giga

Here are the variety nominations.

Variety Talk Series

“Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee” (Crackle)

“Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC)

“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver” (HBO)

“The Late Late Show With James Corden” (CBS)

“Real Time With Bill Maher” (HBO)

“The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC)

Writing for a Variety Series

“Full Frontal With Samantha Bee”

“Inside Amy Schumer”

“Key & Peele”

“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”

“Portlandia”

“Saturday Night Live”

Directing for a Variety Series

Ryan McFaul, “Inside Amy Schumer”

Paul Pennolino, “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”

Tim Mancinelli, “The Late Late Show With James Corden”

Don Roy King, “Saturday Night Live”

Dave Diomedi, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”

KAP151

It just doesnt flow like it used to.

He tried way too hard to push the jokes.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that - but the complete wrong choice.

megalowho

Still think it should have been Paul F. Tompkins. His fake news show with Muppets got cancelled recently because no one watches/gets Fusion. One day that dude will catch a break.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Still think it should have been Paul F. Tompkins. His fake news show with Muppets got cancelled recently because no one watches/gets Fusion. One day that dude will catch a break.

He's doing great on TLC bossing cakes.

I don't really watch Oliver's show much tbh but I've seen some clips off youtube. He has the superior writers of all the other current political shows I believe. Haven't given Bee a chance yet
You should watch Samantha Bee, she's very funny. I prefer Last Week Tonight because I like how informative it is compared to other comedy shows, but Bee is probably funnier than Oliver.

Cagey

Banned
Trevor Noah is milquetoast, and his detached, observe the mess from above and tsk-tsk at what happens low affect isn't working for me personally.

He's not helped by a very weak cast of correspondents, Roy Wood Jr. the one very amazing exception to everything in post Stewart TDS.

Roy Wood Jr. is the best part of either CC late night show.

Trevor Noah is milquetoast, and his detached, observe the mess from above and tsk-tsk at what happens low affect isn't working for me personally.

He's not helped by a very weak cast of correspondents, Roy Wood Jr. the one very amazing exception to everything in post Stewart TDS.

Roy Wood Jr. is the best part of either CC late night show.

John Oliver really handled is outside looking in thing so much better. Handling it in the manner that "I'm new to America, but I live here now and love this place, and I hate seeing some of what I'm seeing"

Poor Noah feels like Jon Stewart's kid taking over the show. I grit my teeth at first, thinking he's new and Stewart seems to believe in him, but every day comes the awkward possibility he just won't grow into the role.

I like to think he's getting better, but honestly, his correspondences are often better than him.

But

he lives here

and

what?

What is wrong with you, genuinely

An expat who spends a few years in a new country is not going to be able to express the nuances of the local poltics as someone who had grown up there, no matter how hard you study.

Also the south american jokes he makes really doesn't resonate with many people.

Cagey

Banned
John Oliver really handled is outside looking in thing so much better. Handling it in the manner that "I'm new to America, but I live here now and love this place, and I hate seeing some of what I'm seeing"

Poor Noah feels like Jon Stewart's kid taking over the show. I grit my teeth at first, thinking he's new and Stewart seems to believe in him, but every day comes the awkward possibility he just won't grow into the role.

I like to think he's getting better, but honestly, his correspondences are often better than him.
I'll admit Oliver doesn't do it for me either (he's just not very funny to me...someone said he's more informative than anything else and I agree with that) but I agree with the assessment: his approach to the Tocqueville American political observer is much better suited for satirical news.

There's an earnestness from Oliver that he's personally dismayed at what he sees in his adoptive land. Noah, by comparison, comes across as hosting a foreign news show commenting on the US with a wry grin and a head shake...except it's not airing in (say) Paris for Parisians to get their confirmation bias fill for the evening.

I don't claim to know what Noah thinks but he's portraying a character of sorts and that's how his character comes through the screen to me.

I imagine Noah would be good as a standard network late night host though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

I knew I would see responses like this after reading his posts, but he has a point. The Daily Show covers world affairs but it is certainly American-focused (it's based out of NYC), and there is no way that somebody who moved from South Africa a few years ago is going to captain a show like that as well as someone who's lived in New York City his whole life.

The show definitely has worse problems now, though.

SFenton

I feel like Bee is the strongest out of the DS alumni, Oliver was entertaining for a time (and I appreciate his continued focus on lesser-covered topics) but once you recognize the patterns in his general writing formula it gets pretty hard to watch. The repeated yelling of names thing is particularly grating/feels lazy.

This is why I only watch him very seldomly.

I also feels like he just preaches to what's popular sometimes, though some of the in-depth segments are fantastic.

When he's on, he's *on*, but I feel like that's a lot rarer than when I first started watching him, since I caught on to a few of the writing tactics.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Out of habit I still watch TDS every night. I also subject myself to the torture that is watching Colbert's Late Show every night too.

I'm not surprised neither is nominated for anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Trevor Noah is just not good at the job. Probably funny in other formats... But not this. Honestly it's not just him, the writing is lacking as well. Seems like some first pass jokes make it through the cracks.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Retrospect being 20/20 I think Jordan Klepper should have gotten Larry Wilmore's time slot. It is amazing that Wilmore's show is still running.

Jombie

I've seen a few episodes, and Noah just isn't suited towards a talk show. He's a terrible interviewer and his jokes don't land.

Mr. F

Banned
Last Week Tonight tries to do these hard journalism opinion pieces and then once they are done they toss in the jokes. It means they rely on comedic metaphors way too often because they are so easy to throw in. They often cant find the inherent humor of the problem they are covering.

Totally. Defeats the purpose probably but sometimes I wish they'd play it straight with some more understated humour that doesn't feel like it gets in the way of the reporting.

J_Viper

The correspondents have been carrying the show since Trevor took over.

I like dude's standup, but he's not doing well as the host. He's also the worst late night interviewer I've ever seen.

jediyoshi

Probably didn't help that Elliott Kalan bounced alongside Stewart.

I try every now and then to peek back into the show, but there's nothing there other than the correspondents segments. And now that Jessica Williams is out, oh boy.

ChaosXVI

I like Trevor a lot honestly, but the task he was given was pretty much impossible. I don't think they'll ever be able to find a proper replacement for Jon Stewart until someone decides to pay him a crapton of money to come back to TV whenever he realizes that retirement sucks for work-horse types like him.

I like Oliver's show too, and out of the all the post-TDS stuff I like his show the most, but I've yet to see what Bee's been doing. This thread is making me think I'm missing out.

Trevor Noah is in this odd place of not being that funny and not being able to achieve gravitas. Steward could do both with aplomb.

But the jokes on last week tonight also fall flat most times imo; is it Oliver's delivery or the writing staff not being clever enough. LWT is popular because of it educational aspect not the jokes. I have not seen Samantha Bee's show yet. How hard can it be for a comedian to deliver a pre-written jokes?,so if Noah won't make you laugh I doubt anyone will read off the same line and somehow make it funny. The writers need to step up a little imo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why does this get brought up more with Trevor and less with his Englishman counterpart?

John Oliver had been on the Daily Show for years, has done countless segments where it's shown that he is insightful and now has a show where each week he paints light into American issues most Americans probably didn't even know existed. When he criticizes Americans it's not from the point of view of being an Englishman looking at how fuicked up America can be, it's from the point of view of an Englishman who has lived in America for many years and doesn't consider himself outside of our problems because they're his as well.

Trevor Noah is someone who has no knowledge of the things he is talking about and a lot of his humor comes from him being South African and looking at how America doesn't have its shit together. Trevor Noah hasn't proven himself to capable of insightfully looking at American issues and as long as that's true, people will keep bringing that up about Trevor and not Oliver.

I've only seen it a few times, but Wilmore often insults and cuts off his guests. Often times, it's just the "let's laugh at this person with an opposing view" show.

It's not like that at all now. Usually there isn't even anyone with an opposing view. It's far more about exploring the views of minorities. It's improved a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom