• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually really liked the Gutter thanks to lighting all the sconces, which gave a real sense of progression for each sconce. Great and underused mechanic imo.
Also reaching the end of the level and looking back and watching all the sconces lightened was awesome.
Same! I really liked this addition in Scholar. I always lit the sconces regardless but it's nice that something actually happens with it now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can someone explain the torch mechanic to me? Is there a point, because so far I feel like I have been able to see even in dark areas, just limited.
1) You see better in dark areas, it's more useful in really dark areas like the G
utter
2) You can spot holes and falls in the water at the S
hrine
of A
mana
(but beware,
it also attracts those blood beasts
);
3) In some places with a bunch of sconces around, something happens if you light them all;
4) It is helpful in temporarily scaring away the bleeding ape monsters in N
o
M
an's
W
harf
;
4) It repels the
spiders
in B
rightstone
C
ove
T
seldora
, making them completely harmless (including the
adds during the boss fight
!);
5) It generally looks very pretty! The dynamic dancing shadow effect is really cool.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
1) You see better in dark areas, it's more useful in really dark areas like the G
utter
2) You can spot holes and falls in the water at the S
hrine
of A
mana
(but beware,
it also attracts those blood beasts
);
3) In some places with a bunch of sconces around, something happens if you light them all;
4) It is helpful in temporarily scaring away the bleeding ape monsters in N
o
M
an's
W
harf
;
4) It repels the
spiders
in B
rightstone
C
ove
T
seldora
, making them completely harmless (including the
adds during the boss fight
!);
5) It generally looks very pretty! The dynamic dancing shadow effect is really cool.

This post is amazing. Or maybe its the game mechanic that is amazing, sums it up very well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there even a way to kill him if he keeps healing with those things?

You can get enough smelters to destroy the ashen idols, even if you used them all you should have 3 left, so that leaves just 1 healing idol. So lure the boss away from it and fight him in places where it won't heal him.

Chitown B

You can get enough smelters to destroy the ashen idols, even if you used them all you should have 3 left, so that leaves just 1 healing idol. So lure the boss away from it and fight him in places where it won't heal him.

yeah there's no way to really do that with multiple phantoms which summoners usually have. So, the only way is to wait I guess so they don't summon you again.

Chitown B

anyone know why I wouldn't be able to Bone out of Iron Passage? My feather was greyed out. I just wanted to leave.

edit: been trying to Sunlight Medals for 3 hours. Haven't gotten one. Can't get anyone to summon and when they do, they die in the fight. Kill the Throne twins, but didn't get a medal of course because Nash was next - and then they died and never summoned me again. This covenant is bullshit.

Mistel

Banned
anyone know why I wouldn't be able to Bone out of Iron Passage? My feather was greyed out. I just wanted to leave.

edit: been trying to Sunlight Medals for 3 hours. Haven't gotten one. Can't get anyone to summon and when they do, they die in the fight. Kill the Throne twins, but didn't get a medal of course because Nash was next - and then they died and never summoned me again. This covenant is bullshit.
It's more the way that fight can progress which is a nice set piece but poses issues as a summon. You can farm sunlight medals from Falconeers and the Mounted Overseers and try other bosses which have a higher success rate like the Dragonriders or Guardian Dragon.
yeah there's no way to really do that with multiple phantoms which summoners usually have. So, the only way is to wait I guess so they don't summon you again.
You can but it requires co-ordination between all parties.

The Chef

Beat it this morning.
Level 110
45 hours of game time.
God I LOVED ever minute. I want to start NG+ but I cant ignore Uncharted 4 any longer.

Smelter Demon (DLC) is giving me some real shit. 2-3 hits and I'm done. Weapons are doing pretty good damage, he's just pretty relentless.

mulac

DS3 beaten and platinum achieved.

Booted up Scholar last night...chose Warrior to go for a strength build...and got summarily destroyed in the first freaking Forest of Giants "ambush river squad".

Going to restart as a Knight I reckon with the Life Ring and take from there...

Just decided to skip Smelter Demon. Seems purely optional. Took Fume Knight down on my third try, but getting absolutely slaughtered by Sir Alonne. I just want to move onto Eleum Loyce :(

btw, do you really have to play through this game multiple times just to get all the spells required for those four trophies?

Manu

Just decided to skip Smelter Demon. Seems purely optional. Took Fume Knight down on my third try, but getting absolutely slaughtered by Sir Alonne. I just want to move onto Eleum Loyce :(

btw, do you really have to play through this game multiple times just to get all the spells required for those four trophies?

Yes, you need to reach Drangleic Castle in NG++ to buy the last spells required.

Chitown B

Bullshit. Just for a spell lol.

yeah the achievements/trophies always have bullshit like this. they never learn that people hate them. I would be more OK if it was "beat the game on NG++" instead. At least then it would be a more normal goal that you could show off.

yeah the achievements/trophies always have bullshit like this. they never learn that people hate them. I would be more OK if it was "beat the game on NG++" instead. At least then it would be a more normal goal that you could show off.

I got the Platinum for Bloodborne twice (made a new PSN account)and the only shitty thing were the ones involved with the chalice dungeons.

I feel like the best way for me to approach this is to not look at it like "oh, damn, have to beat the game several more times just for some fuckin' spells" but rather, hey this game is fun and I don't mind playing through it a few more times." I finished the base game just a day or two before Dark Souls III, saw that I had 88% of the trophies, then said I'd come back after finishing DSIII's base game, clean up the rest of those trophies, and then go back to DSIII and clean that up.

What I may do is stretch it out. I'm doing the DLC for the first time right now (and god what a fucking right pain in the ass it has been), so I'll finish that, get the spells you can only get in the DLC, go back to Dark Souls III, set a goal for that (regardless if that goal gets me the Plat), then do a NG+ run on Dark Souls II. Kind of keep switching back and forth. Sounds like a trainwreck but I'm very anxious to get back to 3.

Then again if it takes me another 20 rounds to take out Sir Alonne, I may have the disc broken anyway.

Chitown B

I got the Platinum for Bloodborne twice (made a new PSN account)and the only shitty thing were the ones involved with the chalice dungeons.

I feel like the best way for me to approach this is to not look at it like "oh, damn, have to beat the game several more times just for some fuckin' spells" but rather, hey this game is fun and I don't mind playing through it a few more times." I finished the base game just a day or two before Dark Souls III, saw that I had 88% of the trophies, then said I'd come back after finishing DSIII's base game, clean up the rest of those trophies, and then go back to DSIII and clean that up.

What I may do is stretch it out. I'm doing the DLC for the first time right now (and god what a fucking right pain in the ass it has been), so I'll finish that, get the spells you can only get in the DLC, go back to Dark Souls III, set a goal for that (regardless if that goal gets me the Plat), then do a NG+ run on Dark Souls II. Kind of keep switching back and forth. Sounds like a trainwreck but I'm very anxious to get back to 3.

Then again if it takes me another 20 rounds to take out Sir Alonne, I may have the disc broken anyway.

Yeah true. It's fun.

LOL Alonne isn't that bad if you have a summon or two to take aggro. He telegraphs his attacks like crazy. Just dodge/roll.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL Alonne isn't that bad if you have a summon or two to take aggro.
Ya think? e_e

Every boss (except maybe the Ancient Dragon) is "not that bad with summons". Regardless of that, Sir Alonne is still one of the hardest boss fights in the whole series.

He telegraphs his attacks like crazy. Just dodge/roll.
Compared to most bosses Alonne doesn't telegraph some of his attacks, he's really really fast and it's easy to not dodge in time.

"Just dodge/roll" is also useless advice. You could apply it to almost every boss ever, but obviously people struggle more against Sir Alonne than, say, Mytha or even Smelter, because Sir Alonne's attacks are very fast, have long-ass reach, he punishes healing better than any other boss (along with Fume Knight and the Ivory King), and he leaves few openings to safely attack without trading blows.

I say that shieldless, he's probably harder than Fume or equal. However, a greatshield (esp. with the bird ring) is really good against him, so that can help when solo'ing him.

It's not too hard to see what Alonne is about to do, but he attacks fast and often which destroys stamina and I have a hard time actually getting hits in without getting obliterated. I can flip and dodge around like a monkey but in the end when he finally chills for a second or two, my stamina is so low that either a) too low to get a strike in or b) by the time I let my stamina get back up to hit him he's going absolute batshit again.

There's been some stretches where I've gotten lucky and dodge/attack rather well, but the most I've gotten him down to is probably just a little over a third of his health left. So I do okay, but no dice. I am using a greatsword and I've read it's best to strip down and use a fast striking weapon, but it's like 2 hits or so and you're just done, and I'm not sure I have the patience for that.

And there's the whole gauntlet you have to go through just to fight him. It's not that bad and I can run the route pretty quickly but all those Alonne knights are fucking obnoxious. I've actually thought about doing yet another respec, but I'm not sure how much it'd actually help.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not too hard to see what Alonne is about to do, but he attacks fast and often which destroys stamina and I have a hard time actually getting hits in without getting obliterated. I can flip and dodge around like a monkey but in the end when he finally chills for a second or two, my stamina is so low that either a) too low to get a strike in or b) by the time I let my stamina get back up to hit him he's going absolute batshit again.
Correct. As I said the openings are few, so it's hard to get a hit in.

There's been some stretches where I've gotten lucky and dodge/attack rather well, but the most I've gotten him down to is probably just a little over a third of his health left. So I do okay, but no dice. I am using a greatsword and I've read it's best to strip down and use a fast striking weapon, but it's like 2 hits or so and you're just done, and I'm not sure I have the patience for that.
Stripping down might be good to maximize your stamina regen, though I'd suggest just using a green blossom since that's more effective (though watch out if you need to rebuff, he can punish that). Personally, as I said, a big-ass tower shield, particularly with the baneful bird ring, can be really helpful. My strength build beat him with that setup (and the red iron twinblade which is really fast and hits hard, scales with STR). Tank his hits, then do a poke or two, and you should have enough stamina to recover.

It's funny, everything I read about Fume Knight had me absolutely dreading it and I killed the fuck on my third try without help. Not saying it was easy, but I'd fight five more Fumes over Sir Alonne. I'm also having considerable trouble with Smelter Demon in the Iron Passage.

When(if) I beat Alonne, I may just skip to the next DLC and leave Smelter Demon to his shitty self, unless there's a good reason to actually kill it beyond self satisfaction.

^^good advice, however I'm a dex build and my strength is just at 20, so I'm not really in a position to use the huge shields :(

I could respec though for something more acquitted to that fight; I'm that desperate. Just want to move on at this point. Normally I'd keep on keeping on, but like I said I'm pretty anxious to get the hell out of Brume Tower :p

strafer

It's funny, everything I read about Fume Knight had me absolutely dreading it and I killed the fuck on my third try without help. Not saying it was easy, but I'd fight five more Fumes over Sir Alonne. I'm also having considerable trouble with Smelter Demon in the Iron Passage.

When(if) I beat Alonne, I may just skip to the next DLC and leave Smelter Demon to his shitty self, unless there's a good reason to actually kill it beyond self satisfaction.

^^good advice, however I'm a dex build and my strength is just at 20, so I'm not really in a position to use the huge shields :(

I could respec though for something more acquitted to that fight; I'm that desperate. Just want to move on at this point. Normally I'd keep on keeping on, but like I said I'm pretty anxious to get the hell out of Brume Tower :p

Did they nerf or change the Fume Knight fight for the scholar release?

Because original fume knight was near impossible for me.

No idea. I mean, it wasn't easy at all, I guess I just had one of those once or twice in a Souls lifetime lucky encounters and I did about bite it right before I killed it. It was one of those "whoever gets the next hit in is the victor" situations.

That being said-- 3rd try. I'm probably on Sir Alonne attempt #15 or so.

Looked through my inventory, Twin Dragon Greatshield is the only "big" shield suited to my current stats unfortunately.

Any armor sets for a dex build better than Llewellyn? That's what I've had for a while, may change that up soon too.

Ferr986

Did they nerf or change the Fume Knight fight for the scholar release?

DLC was untouched on SOTFS.

I also found Alonne way harder:/

Looked through my inventory, Twin Dragon Greatshield is the only "big" shield suited to my current stats unfortunately.

Any armor sets for a dex build better than Llewellyn? That's what I've had for a while, may change that up soon too.

Honestly defense doesnt do much here. Just fashion souls what you want.

Top Bottom