• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Okay, honestly? I've gotten really good at Alonne, I stripped armor and +10'd a Greatshield and can dodge him much easily, and I have a roughly 70% success rate at such.

The problem? That broken piece of shit dark thrust he does, where if it connects, it buffs his weapon. Almost every time I dodge this, like visibly dodge it, the game will still connect the strike and automatically cut me over into the attack animation as if he actually got the hit in, when he clearly did not.

That's where I have a problem, it's legitimately broken and unfair.

Mistel

Banned
Okay, honestly? I've gotten really good at Alonne, I stripped armor and +10'd a Greatshield and can dodge him much easily, and I have a roughly 70% success rate at such.

The problem? That broken piece of shit dark thrust he does, where if it connects, it buffs his weapon. Almost every time I dodge this, like visibly dodge it, the game will still connect the strike and automatically cut me over into the attack animation as if he actually got the hit in, when he clearly did not.

That's where I have a problem, it's legitimately broken and unfair.
The hitbox is far bigger than his sword so there's not really much you can do about it it suffers similar issues to grab and slam attacks have in this game.

Sulik2

I am tempted to upgrade my mace to +10. Is it a viable late game weapon? The range is short, but it weighs so little and hits so hard I am having a hard time even trying other weapons. When do you find the vendor that can use all the special souls from the bosses?

bremon

Well I bought vanilla on launch day, beat last giant and never came back. Playing SotFS for PS4 and having a great time. 70 hours in, have DLC and Aldia left. Haven't played in a few days but the couple sessions before that I finished sun broing and darkdiver Gandalfs covenants. Bell bro stuff next, but was wondering what the usual order for DLC would be. I'm a level 196 faith/str build with +10 mace and lightning heide spear. Soul memory 4.5 million I think (I really dislike that it adds like that refuse not to spend souls collected on items etc.)

Well I bought vanilla on launch day, beat last giant and never came back. Playing SotFS for PS4 and having a great time. 70 hours in, have DLC and Aldia left. Haven't played in a few days but the couple sessions before that I finished sun broing and darkdiver Gandalfs covenants. Bell bro stuff next, but was wondering what the usual order for DLC would be. I'm a level 196 faith/str build with +10 mace and lightning heide spear. Soul memory 4.5 million I think (I really dislike that it adds like that refuse not to spend souls collected on items etc.)

Yeah, I skipped it on PS3 when vanilla came out, and just got SotFS for PS4 as well.

I'm having fun so far, but I feel like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have spoiled me with their nicer visuals, and better hit detection.

I keep visibly dodging attacks, getting hurt or killed, and then checking the replay via Share button, only to confirm that the attack should have missed.
The level design and enemy placements also seem mindless/careless. The combat is still fun, but it just feels like I'm playing a test environment for DS1.

I love finally seeing what Souls is like at 60fps, and having fast travel on from the beginning.

I don't love the lack of pyromancer option from the beginning, and the UI/menu assets.

Definitely worth the $20 I paid.

Novocaine

I am tempted to upgrade my mace to +10. Is it a viable late game weapon? The range is short, but it weighs so little and hits so hard I am having a hard time even trying other weapons. When do you find the vendor that can use all the special souls from the bosses?

I always kept it as a side weapon up to NG+5 for when a sharp weapon didn't cut it. Always delivered, it's a sweet weapon.

bremon

My mace hits like a truck at +10 40 STR and it has its advantages in many situations compared to my +10 lightning heide spear w 40 FTH.

Mistel

Banned
It's a completely end game viable it's incredibly strong weapon, the homunculus mace version is stronger so you may prefer that version.
There's not really a usual order people attempt the DLC in other than the release order you can attempt them in any order.

At Executioner's Chariot and starting to get a little frustrated. There isn't a shortcut to the boss and when I get in I get stun locked by skeletors :/

Maybe I'll come back later.

Gave it a short break, came back and beat it.

I've noticed a lot of bosses seem to be using "dark". I assume there'll be a story reason for it?

Just did Skeleton Lords as well. Got it on the first try but I genuinely think someone on the Dark Souls 2 team made that boss specifically to annoy me. I hate fighting skeletons in these games :p

Manu

Gave it a short break, came back and beat it.

I've noticed a lot of bosses seem to be using "dark". I assume there'll be a story reason for it?

Just did Skeleton Lords as well. Got it on the first try but I genuinely think someone on the Dark Souls 2 team made that boss specifically to annoy me. I hate fighting skeletons in these games :p

I'm pretty sure the vanilla version had more skeleton wheels.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep. The wheels in DS3 are complete pussies.
I remember seeing those in Smouldering Lake and going "NOPE" and retreated to spend my souls and all that before going back there.

What a disappointment, I could literally just walk up to them and attack carelessly without being in any real danger. The Carthus shotel ninja skeletons are way more dangerous haha.

...Or maybe that was the trick, a bait-and-switch all along? :O

Good. :p

Accidentally trapping myself in the Painted World in DS1 with limited item durability and pre-O&S has made me hate bone wheels with a passion.

In other news, lol @ the Ornstein "cameo". Is it possible to get that armour in DS2?
Wheelies should be scary, man! That's their whole point of existence! :p

No Ornstein armour in DS2, sorry.

strafer

Good. :p

Accidentally trapping myself in the Painted World in DS1 with limited item durability and pre-O&S has made me hate bone wheels with a passion.

In other news, lol @ the Ornstein "cameo". Is it possible to get that armour in DS2?

No and it sucks. THe black armor is neat.

Manu

I wonder if we'll ever see Strafer and Neoism fight to the death over the exclusive rights to user Evangeline Lilly avatars.

Both of them post on Souls threads, they should PVP over it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Started playing this again today. I played only a little of it before. I got to the area where there are huge giant knights of some sort just after you leave Majula so yeah not very far. Also, I completely missed the Emerald Herald woman so now I know how to lvl up and upgrade my Estus flask.

Right now I'm just at Majula having lvled up to 17 and upgrading my flask once. I have ventured to the bonfire that is inside a castle after the forest area. There was a merchant here selling the blacksmiths key so I went back and unlocked it for him. I will return to the bonfire and see where this route takes me as I don't think I'll manage back at the giant just yet.

One thing about the combat that has been bothering me is how unresponsive it feels. It feels like there is a delay sometimes when trying to dodge or attack while in combat. I'm not entirely sure about it but it feels as though I need to wait for enemies to stop hitting before I can attack/dodge. A lot of times I am being attacked and unable to roll out the way which of course ends up killing me. Of course I am used to the way that combat in DS1 feels so will need to just get used to how it works in this game.

bremon

I've read that the DLC is great but Crown of the Sunken King has been excellent, I'm definitely looking forward to the other two.

HF2014

Beat Darklurker yesterday. It was tough, but jesus, not comparable as Fume Knight... Now i got one boss to beat ( Smelter Demon )to have beat em all, and i think ill start journey 2 after, nothing much left to be done. I bought all the armor i could, and i think i will get all the souls weapon i can get before starting. I even bonfire the last boss bonfire to get the alternate ending.

Seriously, they did a fantastic job with SotFS, i didnt experience that fun with Zvanilla Dark Souls II.

HF2014

Just decided to skip Smelter Demon. Seems purely optional. Took Fume Knight down on my third try, but getting absolutely slaughtered by Sir Alonne. I just want to move onto Eleum Loyce :(

btw, do you really have to play through this game multiple times just to get all the spells required for those four trophies?

Fume Knight on third try for your first time? ��. I just probably took me 300 jesus. And you just remind me, i havent beat that sob Alonne lol.

Mistel

Banned
I've read that the DLC is great but Crown of the Sunken King has been excellent, I'm definitely looking forward to the other two.
The other two have less of the puzzle mechanics but make up for it in design of the areas being a lot more visually appealing.

Sulik2

Ok these walls that only enemies can destroy with attacks are the worst design decision I have run into so far. Please tell me they removed this stupid idea in DS III?

bremon

The other two have less of the puzzle mechanics but make up for it in design of the areas being a lot more visually appealing.
Got to the second bonfire of Iron King yesterday. Very cool aesthetic going on in that DLC so far. I wrapped up Sunken King and was pretty impressed. The two bosses in the Rest were awesome, the optional boss in Cave of the Dead I wasn't a fan of, and ended up saying screw that. That, and a bonfire are all I left hanging in that DLC as far as I'm aware. Explored quite thoroughly. The tree with eyes looked quite disturbing.

Chitown B

Beat Darklurker yesterday. It was tough, but jesus, not comparable as Fume Knight... Now i got one boss to beat ( Smelter Demon )to have beat em all, and i think ill start journey 2 after, nothing much left to be done. I bought all the armor i could, and i think i will get all the souls weapon i can get before starting. I even bonfire the last boss bonfire to get the alternate ending.

I died once to Dark Lurker and then went back to try again and died 4 times in a row to the enemies on the way, in the easiest cave. WTF. That's the last thing I have to do before NG+

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm struggling at the area after the 2nd bonfire in forest of giants. it's where you go down the ladder to the left of the bonfire. i've went through the mist into the next area and cleared that but it's when i go up the tree to the next platform. there is a mini boss up here. i died to him but just can't get past this area because i'm having to fight multiple enemies at once even though i am trying to pick them off 1 by 1.

what's really making it difficult is this health/humanity system. each time i die my health gets lower and lower until i use an effigy. i'm trying to use them only when i really need them cause i know there is a limited supply of them. also i still just can't get used to the way my character feels. just doesn't feel responsive at all. my lvl right now is 20 but i'm not quite sure if i'm lvling up the right stuff. i read i should do ADP and i'm also doing end/hp/vit.

i've played about 5 hours so far. i'll give it to 10 hours before deciding if i want to keep playing or not.

Sulik2

i'm struggling at the area after the 2nd bonfire in forest of giants. it's where you go down the ladder to the left of the bonfire. i've went through the mist into the next area and cleared that but it's when i go up the tree to the next platform. there is a mini boss up here. i died to him but just can't get past this area because i'm having to fight multiple enemies at once even though i am trying to pick them off 1 by 1.

what's really making it difficult is this health/humanity system. each time i die my health gets lower and lower until i use an effigy. i'm trying to use them only when i really need them cause i know there is a limited supply of them. also i still just can't get used to the way my character feels. just doesn't feel responsive at all. my lvl right now is 20 but i'm not quite sure if i'm lvling up the right stuff. i read i should do ADP and i'm also doing end/hp/vit.

i've played about 5 hours so far. i'll give it to 10 hours before deciding if i want to keep playing or not.

Use a mace. Everything is the starting area is vulnerable to it. Being able to one or two shot all the early game hollows helps hugely.

bremon

And the mace doesn't really use its usefulness through the game. I use a lightning spear at this point but use my mace as my backup weapon still.

HF2014

I died once to Dark Lurker and then went back to try again and died 4 times in a row to the enemies on the way, in the easiest cave. WTF. That's the last thing I have to do before NG+

Best path to take, easiest imo, is the one in Shaded Ruins, i died a lot in there, and in the end, well i only had the last enemy to beat. They are more easy imo than the mobs in other area.

HF2014

Looking for tips to do a caster, and need feedback. Is it possible to do a caster without ever using any weapon, just casting spells? I want to do a Hexer with some Sorceries. So far i got a normal staff, did a speed run to beat dragonrider and get the shortcut to get the dude who sell Hexes.

Also wondering, if i want to just use a staff, no chime, possible to beat the game without the other chime spells? I know there a staff that make you cast both, but i think its weaker than the best staff.

I havent put any points in str and dex, so just wondering if i should, only planning to do PvE and if possible, not use any weapons or shield at all

Mistel

Banned

You can pick up a ring in one of the other starting areas which will cap the health you loose at 80% and make it a lower burden, plus effigies are infinite and you can farm them in multiple ways so don't worry about using them. You should raise ADP until agility is between 100-120 for the I frames within roles.
And the mace doesn't really use its usefulness through the game. I use a lightning spear at this point but use my mace as my backup weapon still.
It is useful through the entire game quite substainutally its far more effective than lightning spears are that's for certain unless you've either not upgraded it or invested in STR at all. Even then SL1 builds use the Mace without the STR investment at all very well.
Looking for tips to do a caster, and need feedback. Is it possible to do a caster without ever using any weapon, just casting spells? I want to do a Hexer with some Sorceries. So far i got a normal staff, did a speed run to beat dragonrider and get the shortcut to get the dude who sell Hexes.

Also wondering, if i want to just use a staff, no chime, possible to beat the game without the other chime spells? I know there a staff that make you cast both, but i think its weaker than the best staff.

I havent put any points in str and dex, so just wondering if i should, only planning to do PvE and if possible, not use any weapons or shield at all
It can be done without using any weapon and just casts and without the chime hexes. The Black Witch Staff is roughly joint top staff due to the versatility to use everything sans pyro with the Witch Tree Bellvine for speed and the Sunset staff for damage.

Top Bottom