• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Which weapon(s) did you use in Bloodborne?

It's going to be hard to replicate, DS2 is much much slower. But yeah what weapon did you enjoy the most in Bloodborne?
Oh I can accept that it can be slower if the ennemies aren't as agressive as Bloodborne. Also I'm letting a little time pass in order to not be overloaded and jaded before playing DS 2

I greatly enjoyed the Saw Cleaver which I used for the majority of time. I also used the Hunter's Awe and Ludwig's Holy Blade in their powerful form.

Whales

Banned
i've also just srarted playing DS2 sotfs now (bought it a loooong time ago, want to play it before dark 3)

I remember reading about a stat that was crucial to level up for rolls. was it adaptibility or agility? to how much should I level it up?

Yikes, kind of rough going from DS3 to DS2. Picked this up for $17 on Amazon. First time playing DS2. Even though this game is 60 fps it still feels off compared to DS3. Like I roll, and dodge the attacks but still end up getting hit wtf lol.

Ferr986

i've also just srarted playing DS2 sotfs now (bought it a loooong time ago, want to play it before dark 3)

I remember reading about a stat that was crucial to level up for rolls. was it adaptibility or agility? to how much should I level it up?

Adaptability increases the Agility stat, so you need to level up Adaptability. Agility should be between 99 and 105 to feel comfortable IMO.

Attunement also level ups Agility albeit at a slower pace. If you wan't to be a mage you''ll level up both (so no need to bring Adaptability as high), if not leave Attunement alone.

Yikes, kind of rough going from DS3 to DS2. Picked this up for $17 on Amazon. First time playing DS2. Even though this game is 60 fps it still feels off compared to DS3. Like I roll, and dodge the attacks but still end up getting hit wtf lol.

That's because rolls have WAY less i-frames than in DS3. You need to level up Agility (Adaptability or Attunement) to increase I-frames. I think around 105 Agility was the same i-frames as DS3.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i had the same problem too and was told you need to level up ADP stat. i have it at 22 right now but i still feel there is a delay between pressing roll/dodge and it actually happening which of course results in me getting hit. it does feel better than it was at the start of the game but i can't honestly tell if it's because of levelling up the stat or if i'm just much more comfortable with the controls.

Tarkus

i had the same problem too and was told you need to level up ADP stat. i have it at 22 right now but i still feel there is a delay between pressing roll/dodge and it actually happening which of course results in me getting hit. it does feel better than it was at the start of the game but i can't honestly tell if it's because of levelling up the stat or if i'm just much more comfortable with the controls.

It feels different because it runs on a completely different engine under the influence of Shibuya and Tanimura. It shares controls with other Souls games but that's it.

ADP is actually the first stat I begin to level in DS2. As Ferr said, 99-105 is optimal for most people. I like 105 personally. If you get this stat up early, the game will get much easier.

It feels different because it runs on a completely different engine under the influence of Shibuya and Tanimura. It shares controls with other Souls games but that's it.

ADP is actually the first stat I begin to level in DS2. As Ferr said, 99-105 is optimal for most people. I like 105 personally. If you get this stat up early, the game will get much easier.

That's gonna take forever to get too though. I'm starting with 5 adp lol. I'll beat the game before I can even reach 105

That's gonna take forever to get too though. I'm starting with 5 adp lol. I'll beat the game before I can even reach 105
105 on the stat, not the level. So not a number that you directly increase via levelling up, it's a number that increases by levelling up certain levelling stats. It's to the right of the main stats on the level up screen.

Anyway... I'm not sure if I'm gonna continue with this one tbh. I'm in Black Gulch and it's just frustrating me (note: not quitting solely because of that, but because I'm not too enthused on the gameplay in general and I feel like this is the point where I've decided to ask myself if it's worth it). If I decide to move on, will I like DS3? It's in the Steam sale at the moment and I really loved Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i understand that but i was saying is that i have levelled up my ADP and still have the same issue i had at the start of the game where it feels like there is a delay between pressing the button and the action which results in me losing health because i can't get out the way quick enough.

Tarkus

It's only 26 ADP or so. I was talking about agility of 105. I should've been more clear. Also, if you're a sorcerer, attunement also increases agility, but three times less than ADP.

Anyway... I'm not sure if I'm gonna continue with this one tbh. I'm in Black Gulch and it's just frustrating me (note: not quitting solely because of that, but because I'm not too enthused on the gameplay in general and I feel like this is the point where I've decided to ask myself if it's worth it). If I decide to move on, will I like DS3? It's in the Steam sale at the moment and I really loved Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.
You'll probably love DS3 then.

You'll probably love DS3 then.
To be clear, it's not the world or the lore or anything of this that's put me off. I really like the world and the lore and the visuals and that part is genuinely compelling me to continue on, but I just have a lot of trouble with this particular brand of the combat system.

Eh, I'll maybe try one more DS2 push today then see how I feel. :)

Ferr986

105 on the stat, not the level. So not a number that you directly increase via levelling up, it's a number that increases by levelling up certain levelling stats. It's to the right of the main stats on the level up screen.

Dark Souls 3 is a Bloodborne'd Dark Souls so you'll probably like it.

Dark Souls 3 is a Bloodborne'd Dark Souls so you'll probably like it.
I decided to stick with DS2 for now but I'll definitely pick it up after!

Anyway, I managed to get through Black Gulch, and have now done Shaded Woods and Doors of Pharros.

Is there a clear marker for a point of no return in terms of the DLC? I don't want to lock myself out of it accidentally :p

Bought the game at the Steam sale and enjoying it so far, but I have two really annoying issues.
First one is my controls randomly deciding to stop working, this has gotten me killed a couple of times, playing on a 360 pad.
Second one is lock-on going crazy and randomly switching between all nearby targets, sometimes deciding to lock on to targets I don't even have line of sight with, turning me around and also getting me killed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's arguably better as a weapon and a class than within DS1 there's a lot more variety and viability within them.
Yeah, I didn't like it at first because you needed to hit at the sweet spot for the true damage, which annoyed me, but it grew on me and when you learn to use it effectively, it's a monster.

Yeah bosses are generally easy on the main game. You need to jump onto the DLC to get hard bosses.
True. Even outside of the DLC, the hardest bosses are still the optional ones; Smelter Demon, Gargoyles, Royal Rat Authority (which can be cheesed, but he can also be a huge pain in the ass depending on your build) and Darklurker (ditto), and technically the Sentinels and Pursuer are optional too.

What would be the hardest non-optional, non-DLC boss? I'm honestly at a loss haha. Velstadt? Throne Watcher & Defender? Freja?

IIRC, on my Company of Champion run, I think Throne Watcher & Defender was the hardest non-optional, non-DLC boss. It was pretty difficult to get an opening with the two of them on you and they did pretty strong damage in the CoC, and of course I needed good DPS to prevent them from reviving each others.

Did they nerf Royal Rat Authority in SOTFS then? I didn't look at guides or anything but I took it down quite quickly and on the first try... It only seemed to attack from the front and occasionally kick behind so I just sort of hovered underneath it and got in hits when I could.

Working my way through Amana now!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did they nerf Royal Rat Authority in SOTFS then? I didn't look at guides or anything but I took it down quite quickly and on the first try... It only seemed to attack from the front and occasionally kick behind so I just sort of hovered underneath it and got in hits when I could.
This boss fight is easy once the small rats are dead. But if you fail to dispatch them all really quickly, you can in turn die really quickly too. Depending on your build (if you don't have a weapon with good crowd control, or ranged attacks to pick them off quickly before the big rat joins), it can be a pain in the ass. If you take them all out and survive, though, the rest of the fight is very easy.

Kind of like Capra Demon and his dogs, really. ;)

Novocaine

Velstadt is pretty easy if you have good damage output but if you take too long ugh.

I'd say Throne Defender/Watcher and probably Smelter Demon would be the more difficult non optional bosses. Or Mirror Knight if you're unfortunate enough to have a real person summoned in who happens to be a jerk.

This boss fight is easy once the small rats are dead. But if you fail to dispatch them all really quickly, you can in turn die really quickly too. Depending on your build (if you don't have a weapon with good crowd control, or ranged attacks to pick them off quickly before the big rat joins), it can be a pain in the ass. If you take them all out and survive, though, the rest of the fight is very easy.

Kind of like Capra Demon and his dogs, really. ;)
I managed to kill them really quickly so that must be why :)

I agree about Smelter Demon though, might be the hardest boss I've fought so far - although part of that is due to the runback imo.

Now in Aldia's Keep. Velstadt gave me some trouble but I eventually got him down.

Soul level 125, and 27 hours in. Am I relatively close to the end of the main campaign?

iBlue

I just finished the game. Can i trigger 2 endings on the same playthrough? i did the one where you sit on the throne. I am playing the PS4 version btw.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I grabbed the PC version of the game to finally go through the DLC and wanted to ask if there's a recommended set of mods or is the vanilla Dx 11 version enough, mostly graphic-wise.

Jester Thomas.

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

He can be made a joke with absurdly high fire resistance, but holy shit if you don't have that on you. Also, fire everywhere, can't see shit. Managed to kill him by stacking DoTs from poison daggers and that spiked surface in the hallway before he invades you, but even that took about three times longer than it should have, because of course that fucker has a heal.

Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.

Jester Thomas.

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

He can be made a joke with absurdly high fire resistance, but holy shit if you don't have that on you. Also, fire everywhere, can't see shit. Managed to kill him by stacking DoTs from poison daggers and that spiked surface in the hallway before he invades you, but even that took about three times longer than it should have, because of course that fucker has a heal.

Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.
I guess I got lucky, I heard he was crazy tough but I think he only got off one spell before I took him down :p

I'm now on Elana. She's hard.

Joei

I know this is a few weeks old, but this has been me for the past like month. I don't have a ton of time to play and have been at this game off and on for the past like 2 months, but so many times I'm asking myself do I really want to finish this? The gameplay feels so off. I'm going to finish though. I'm at the last boss fight in Iron Keep (or I at least think it is) and I still have to go through that camp ground area, then I think I'll be in the last section of the game. I have no idea if I'm going to bother with the DLC though, which sucks cause I hear it's much better than the main game, but I don't think I'll have the time or desire.

I know this is a few weeks old, but this has been me for the past like month. I don't have a ton of time to play and have been at this game off and on for the past like 2 months, but so many times I'm asking myself do I really want to finish this? The gameplay feels so off. I'm going to finish though. I'm at the last boss fight in Iron Keep (or I at least think it is) and I still have to go through that camp ground area, then I think I'll be in the last section of the game. I have no idea if I'm going to bother with the DLC though, which sucks cause I hear it's much better than the main game, but I don't think I'll have the time or desire.
Honestly I'm still not "feeling" it tbh the way I did with Bloodborne and DaS1 but I feel like I've come so far it would be stupid to stop. And even though I could just skip the DLC I feel like I wouldn't be happy with myself - just a personal thing, but I don't like not seeing everything if I've come this far already :p

Joei

Honestly I'm still not "feeling" it tbh the way I did with Bloodborne and DaS1 but I feel like I've come so far it would be stupid to stop. And even though I could just skip the DLC I feel like I wouldn't be happy with myself - just a personal thing, but I don't like not seeing everything if I've come this far already :p

If I can finish the game soon, maybe I'll tackle the DLC, but with I Am Setsuna releasing soon, as well as FFXV, plus I want to play UC4... And I hope to get to DS3... All with limited time to play... Yeeeeaaahhhh....

And yes I agree with not feeling it either. I'm a huge Demon's Souls fan, loved DaS and a enjoyed BB, but this game, I dunno. There's parts I like, but as a whole, I can't put my finger on it precisely, but it feels like a downgraded version of the other games.

Top Bottom