• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT5| Halp me pls. In the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard that like the workplace, the commute is a bad place to strike up a conversation with people that may not welcome it. But I'll work on getting up the courage to make it to a smile or something :p

Heard where?

When are you going to talk to her then or are you just going to oogle her from afar and eventually come off as creepy?

You see her at lunch and on the way home. On the way home is a good place to engage. Ask her how her day was and go from there.

What do you have to lose?

MrS

Banned
It turns out that the self-checkout attendant at the supermarket in town that I see basically every day now lives nearby and catches my bus. Ended up getting the same 9:30pm bus home tonight, she's probably getting the restraining order drawn up as we speak <.<
Miles is right, stop ogling her and just say hi.

I love ghosting this thread at work. Some of you guys crack me up. Favourite thread on GAF for sure.

Heard where?

When are you going to talk to her then or are you just going to oogle her from afar and eventually come off as creepy?

You see her at lunch and on the way home. On the way home is a good place to engage. Ask her how her day was and go from there.

What do you have to lose?

I dunno about that depending on where you live, London is essentially like Sweden when it comes to talking to people you don't know, especially on public transport :p People here think it's really weird for some reason.

Denzar

Scheduled something tonight but forgot it was St Pattys day and kinda want to hang out with friends...hmm

If you cancel, make sure you suggest an alternative date and time.

Tinder profile has been reset for a week now, and I've got over 30 matches already. Started talking to some of them, and it's going pretty well with one of them. She lives far away though. Might ask her out for coffee.

I got a new match today, and sheesh. She's real pretty. She's a model. Absolutely gorgeous. I want to talk to her, but I haven't got the faintest idea what to say. Any tips, suave-GAF?

stn

A girl I went out last week sent me a text saying she had a great time and I'm awesome, she then went on to say that she reminded me of somebody she uses to date and it's difficult for her.

How do I respond to this? Is there anything left for me to say? I am confused, I don't believe I did anything wrong.
Its very likely just her "nice" way of saying she's not fully interested in you. And chances are its total BS, too. Thing is, her saying this makes it look like she's rejecting you out of her own mixed emotions and not a lack of interest in your looks and personality. Its BS. Just move on.

Armadilo

Banned
Not a good second try, so same girl at the bust stop. This time I was not noticing as i was looking at my phone and when i saw her. She was already far away. I know that I need to just stop it but I just need to get my first ever rejection done with. I know if I wanted to get rejected I just ask any random girl but it started with this and I do like this girl .

Even though it will be super Awkward and i'll probably look very desperate. I just need to do it and gather all the courage that I have and just do It!

I have to wait until next week but I'll get it done and just move on from there. I'm going in with the expectation of rejection but you never know...

I've always heard that like the workplace, the commute is a bad place to strike up a conversation with people that may not welcome it. But I'll work on getting up the courage to make it to a smile or something :p

This is so fucking GAF oh my lord!

Dude, just say "hi, I've seen you somewhere else", and then she'll go "oh yeah". Then go from there.

Kieli

That's some nice hyperbole right there. Part of college is learning how to manage your life without mommy and daddy planning everything. If you have "no moment to breath" you need to work on your time management skills.

I had a full class load, worked full time, was on the campus radio station and newspaper, did tutoring, and still somehow managed to find time to hang out with friends/go out 2-3 times a week and do hobbies like playing games and working on a website.

Now I am married and me and my wife have crazy work schedules, my mother in law is slipping into dementia, my stepson is going through cancer treatment, two dogs to take care of, not to mention chores/housework. But we make time to be with each other, because that's what people that care about each other do.

If someone really can't spare an hour or two every few days to hang out with you (doesn't even have to be a big "date") the relationship isn't that important to them. No one is that "busy". It's a bullshit excuse.

You are a better man than I.

Ric Flair

Banned
Not a good second try, so same girl at the bust stop. This time I was not noticing as i was looking at my phone and when i saw her. She was already far away. I know that I need to just stop it but I just need to get my first ever rejection done with. I know if I wanted to get rejected I just ask any random girl but it started with this and I do like this girl .

Even though it will be super Awkward and i'll probably look very desperate. I just need to do it and gather all the courage that I have and just do It!

I have to wait until next week but I'll get it done and just move on from there. I'm going in with the expectation of rejection but you never know...
Dude, I've gotten a date from running to a girl I saw across the street and asking her out based solely on looks alone. It works, just be confidant and honest.

Its very likely just her "nice" way of saying she's not fully interested in you. And chances are its total BS, too. Thing is, her saying this makes it look like she's rejecting you out of her own mixed emotions and not a lack of interest in your looks and personality. Its BS. Just move on.

yeah, i suppose you are right, i haven't been on many dates even though I am in my late 20's. I am not used to the game. Will try to find a new girl tonight =)

Armadilo

Banned
Dude, I've gotten a date from running to a girl I saw across the street and asking her out based solely on looks alone. It works, just be confidant and honest.

But so far it seems shes avoiding me, so maybe she thinks I'm creepy or just maybe she is kinda Shy and she knows that I want to talk to her. But I just have to get this done

But so far it seems shes avoiding me, so maybe she thinks I'm creepy or just maybe she is kinda Shy and she knows that I want to talk to her. But I just have to get this done

Dude, you haven't even talked to her, smiled at her or done anything at all to make her notice you.

I can almost guarantee you she isn't avoiding you. Right now, you're just guy at the bus stop #4. Maybe she hasn't noticed you at all, maybe she thinks you're hot, but you'll never know until you talk to her.

Just start with something mundane, complain that the bus is late or whatever. Doesn't have to be a stroke of genius

ssharm02

Banned

this is pretty much what i did with the librarian. I gathered all my courage and went up to her and got rejected. Shouldn't have done it right before the mid terms though hahaha

Armadilo

Banned
Dude, you haven't even talked to her, smiled at her or done anything at all to make her notice you.

I can almost guarantee you she isn't avoiding you. Right now, you're just guy at the bus stop #4. Maybe she hasn't noticed you at all, maybe she thinks you're hot, but you'll never know until you talk to her.

Just start with something mundane, complain that the bus is late or whatever. Doesn't have to be a stroke of genius
Yeah smile but she probably notices that I look at her ..so the me being creepy part comes into my head..maybe I make her feel uncomfortable ? Today I would say that I looked pretty good today. ..this girl is really cute in my opinion and one day she had a Star Wars shirt on. I love Star Wars so seeing a cute girl wearing a Star Wars shirt made me happy..something we might have in common

Two failed attempts?

Come on, you're making this so much harder than it needs to be. Just take a deep breath, go up to her and say hello. You're turning this simple thing into a mammoth feat of planning and when to do it and what to say and how best to say it.

Yeah smile but she probably notices that I look at her ..so the me being creepy part comes into my head..maybe I make her feel uncomfortable ? Today I would say that I looked pretty good today. ..this girl is really cute in my opinion and one day she had a Star Wars shirt on. I love Star Wars so seeing a cute girl wearing a Star Wars shirt made me happy..something we might have in common
Comment on those kind of things as an ice breaker.

If she's listening to music, ask her what it is and maybe a common thing forms from there.

If she's uncomfortable, that will be obvious in that she ignores you actively through either body language or verbally. That's when you give up the chase and move on with your life. Prolonging this in hope she makes the first move or something is hell.

gwailo

Banned
You are a better man than I.

Eh, not really. I'm just older and my priorities are different. I had a lot of fun in my 20s and 30s but I couldn't keep going on the same path, both physically and mentally.

My point was though college might seem busy, but it's really not. I can't remember the last time I sat around for hours playing video games and drinking beers.

So I just find it hard to believe when people say they don't have time, especially at that age. They do have time, they just don't want to spend it with you, but they're trying to be "nice" and not saying it like that.

Nilaul

I don't get it I'm in a new relationship with a girl that loves me wants to have kids with me, but sometimes she goes so angry at of nowhere, PMS or gets suddenly angry for days; does really rash things, and that stays really bitchy for days and then goes back to being an total angel. Shes gorgeous looking like hell but that mood swing hurts.

I guess I have (bad)luck with hooking up with totally gorgeous girls that end up being crazy like hell.

I don't get it I'm in a new relationship with a girl that loves me wants to have kids with me, but sometimes she goes so angry at of nowhere, PMS or gets suddenly angry for days; does really rash things, and that stays really bitchy for days and then goes back to being an total angel. Shes gorgeous looking like hell but that mood swing hurts.

I guess I have (bad)luck with hooking up with totally gorgeous girls that end up being crazy like hell.

Have you talked about it with her? Maybe try to find out why she has those outbursts so you can deal with them better.

Nilaul

Have you talked about it with her? Maybe try to find out why she has those outbursts so you can deal with them better.

Well the last one was to do with me not being able to visit her on the 15 due to work related stuff. However she gets into arguments like that with everyone. Not just with me but with everyone, sometimes she gets so angry that she won't see how wrong she is at that moment and if the arguments its more severe that may last for days. Its seems to be at a psychological bases, as sometimes lets say eating chips loudly our the sound of sipping tea annoys her.

At the end of the day perhaps its my fault that she releases all the tension on me because I kinda allow it (maybe she also gets a power hit cause of it; she wants to know shes in power); there's no consequences to her actions.

Well the last one was to do with me not being able to visit her on the 15 due to work related stuff. However she gets into arguments like that with everyone. Not just with me but with everyone, sometimes she gets so angry that she won't see how wrong she is at that moment and if the arguments its more severe that may last for days. Its seems to be at a psychological bases, as sometimes lets say eating chips loudly our the sound of sipping tea annoys her.

At the end of the day perhaps its my fault that she releases all the tension on me because I kinda allow it (maybe she also gets a power hit cause of it; she wants to know shes in power); there's no consequences to her actions.

Yeah, you need to discuss this with her. Doesn't sound healthy at all, really seems like she has real trouble dealing with anything that frustrates and/or annoys her.

Talk to her about it when she's not angry, see if she acknowledges her behaviour during those outbursts and if she's willing to try and do something about it. Don't just take it, it's not your role to be her emotional punching bag.

Llyranor

You know how to not appear creepy? By not obsessing over her when you don't even know her and never talked to her.

You have two options:
1) Talk to her/ask her out

2) Don't ask her out.

Outcomes:
1a) She says yes and you make out at the bus stop
1b) She says no. You continue to not exist in her mind. NOTHING LOST.
1c) She finds you creepy and avoids you, which in your mind she is already doing. Nothing technically lost compared to the status quo, but a moral defeat.
1d) Pepper stray, sexual offender registry, and you can never find a stable job ever again

2a) You continue overthinking and overanalyzing some random girl you've never even talked to, to the point of obsession that stunts your ability to approach any other girl as well.
2b) A meteorite destroys all life as we know it. And you wasted yours by not just simply approaching and talking to her.

bluethree

I know that a lot of the supposed reasons girls give are BS, but this doesnt sound like an excuse a girl would make up. Not one I've ever heard at least.

Why are some people so resistant to the idea that sometimes you're not going to succeed with a girl for reasons that have nothing to do with you? It does happen.

Mr. Jimmy

Gaf I will be very happy if you could give me some advice. About a month ago, my exgirlfriend and I decided to break up after 3 years of relationship. I want to take a little time for myself and many people agreed that it was a good choice.

However, other friends had also tried to hook me with some girls and I don't know, I mean I'm all for it I'd love to know other people but what if I make a mistake and end with someone just because of my recent breakup, like a rebound or something. This has happened to me in the past and I hurt the girl's feelings somewhat bad.

What would you do?

Gaf I will be very happy if you could give me some advice. About a month ago, my exgirlfriend and I decided to break up after 3 years of relationship. I want to take a little time for myself and many people agreed that it was a good choice.

However, other friends had also tried to hook me with some girls and I don't know, I mean I'm all for it I'd love to know other people but what if I make a mistake and end with someone just because of my recent breakup, like a rebound or something. This has happened to me in the past and I hurt the girl's feelings somewhat bad.

What would you do?

It's been a month, how much longer do you want to wait?

And you don't have to enter into a relationship with anyone, just have some fun and get back out there and if you should find someone you connect with and want a relationship with, see how things go.

Don't worry too much about the rebound thing.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

How do you react when she unfairly gets angry with you? Are you apologetic?

TruHero

Banned

What would you do?

What's wrong with having some fun? That's the question you should ask yourself.

I guarantee that if you tell these girls that you're just looking for some fun right now, then they'll be fine with it. Don't mention your ex

stn

I know that a lot of the supposed reasons girls give are BS, but this doesnt sound like an excuse a girl would make up. Not one I've ever heard at least.
People will say anything to let someone down as gently as possible. I haven't made this particular excuse but I've said all kinds of shit in order to let some girls down gently.

bluethree said:
Why are some people so resistant to the idea that sometimes you're not going to succeed with a girl for reasons that have nothing to do with you? It does happen.
In this case, assuming what the girl said was true, he would have something to do with her reason for not wanting to see him again. She told him that he reminds her of her ex, meaning something he has done has made her think that way. There's a direct link.

I know its impossible to prove given the circumstances, but trust me on this one. My gut feeling strongly tells me that she just wasn't feeling it and made up the story to end it as quickly as possible. People will BS a lot to save awkwardness.

Please listen to this person.

That post really ought to be stickied.

No, you don't have to do anything. Frankly, it's troubling that you're building someone up in your head that you've never met solely based upon the fact that, at one point, one day, she wore a certain t-shirt. She's not avoiding you. I doubt she knows you exist. Maybe she does think you're creepy because you've just looked at her. (And, in all honesty? The line between creepy and shyly attractive depends an awful lot upon charisma and looks. I don't know where you fall, but you're doing yourself no favors by continuing to look without talking.)

Do what Llyranor said.

this is pretty much what i did with the librarian. I gathered all my courage and went up to her and got rejected. Shouldn't have done it right before the mid terms though hahaha

The librarian didn't reject you. You didn't ever ask her out. You asked, as far as I can recall, whether she had a moment to talk to you alone. Before that, you thought, for some stange reason(s), that she was completely into you. Both of these things -- the appearance of invitation and the illusion of rejection -- speak towards your difficulty with reading people. Midterms have nothing to do with it. You shouldn't even feel bad. Unless you directly ask someone out and they say no (or obviously demur), you don't really have the right to feel terrible about it.

Eventually? Coming off as creepy comes naturally to me <.<

Maybe next time I see her on the bus I'll try to make a joke about it?

No. You know what's creepy? Making a joke about being creepy!

Women are disgusting, flawed human creatures, just like men. Just talk to her if you want. But, as with the other person, it's one thing to irrationally fall hard for someone quickly; it's another thing entirely to fall for someone you've never even met or talked to before.

That post really ought to be stickied.

No, you don't have to do anything. Frankly, it's troubling that you're building someone up in your head that you've never met solely based upon the fact that, at one point, one day, she wore a certain t-shirt. She's not avoiding you. I doubt she knows you exist. Maybe she does think you're creepy because you've just looked at her. (And, in all honesty? The line between creepy and shyly attractive depends an awful lot upon charisma and looks. I don't know where you fall, but you're doing yourself no favors by continuing to look without talking.)

Do what Llyranor said.

The librarian didn't reject you. You didn't ever ask her out. You asked, as far as I can recall, whether she had a moment to talk to you alone. Before that, you thought, for some stange reason(s), that she was completely into you. Both of these things -- the appearance of invitation and the illusion of rejection -- speak towards your difficulty with reading people. Midterms have nothing to do with it. You shouldn't even feel bad. Unless you directly ask someone out and they say no (or obviously demur), you don't really have the right to feel terrible about it.

No. You know what's creepy? Making a joke about being creepy!

Women are disgusting, flawed human creatures, just like men. Just talk to her if you want. But, as with the other person, it's one thing to irrationally fall hard for someone quickly; it's another thing entirely to fall for someone you've never even met or talked to before.

Your science is too tight! This is all spot on.

pieface

Okay, so random question for anyone who's currently in a relationship....

How long was you with your partner for before saying "I love you"?

pieface

I think I said it to him a year or so into the relationship.

He said it after about two years.

(Why?)

I'm just genuinely curious how soon people do or don't say it. I've been seeing my girlfriend for 3 months, we were out at a gig last night and she said it to me on the way home (we had a fair few drinks too), I didn't say it back... so .... feeling a bit weird about it. 3 months is a bit too soon, isn't it?

pieface

The right time is when you feel it.

For some people it comes sooner than others. For some it never comes at all.

/nopunsintended

Yeah you're right, I appreciate there's no rule on time, and I do feel something for her, but.... not sure if it's love yet? I don't really know what love feels like.

I'm just genuinely curious how soon people do or don't say it. I've been seeing my girlfriend for 3 months, we were out at a gig last night and she said it to me on the way home (we had a fair few drinks too), I didn't say it back... so .... feeling a bit weird about it. 3 months is a bit too soon, isn't it?

I told my bf after 3 months, he said it back and told me he hadn't been sure when to say it but was glad I said it. It's been about a year and a half now and we're still going strong.

Brofield

Please respond. Took a wild shot in the dark and have no idea how to continue.

On tinder, opened with "Cuddling has the same neurological reaction as taking painkillers." How do I continue this train of thought? Nerdy? Direct? Laugh it off like I didn't mean it?

Her sole response was "Oh really eh". This is a girl whose name is Chloe and for her bio "The C and L are silent".

vern

On tinder, opened with "Cuddling has the same neurological reaction as taking painkillers." How do I continue this train of thought? Nerdy? Direct? Laugh it off like I didn't mean it?

Her sole response was "Oh really eh". This is a girl whose name is Chloe and for her bio "The C and L are silent".

"My penis is named painkillers, would you like to take some?"

"Hi hoe. My name is brofield but it also has silent letters, it's pronounced ludacris. What is your area code I'd like to cross check it against my other hoes."

"Do you know about neogaf? (Insert link to your post)"

"What part of Canada are you from, eh?"

These will all work, I think.

Cudder

"Yep. How big of a prescription do you need?"

Salamando

Definite L taken last night. Netflix and chill scenario, went to pick up the pizza in time for when she was supposed to be there, only to find the pizza place not where their website said it was. Took a half hour to find the place (4 miles away), so pizza was cold by the time I got it. Girl didn't bother to show up either.

"We can test the painkiller effects with drinks, and the cuddling will come later"?

Llyranor

Definite L taken last night. Netflix and chill scenario, went to pick up the pizza in time for when she was supposed to be there, only to find the pizza place not where their website said it was. Took a half hour to find the place (4 miles away), so pizza was cold by the time I got it. Girl didn't bother to show up either.
I love how you dedicated more words and attention for the pizza than the girl :D

gwailo

Banned
Hey man, there's a difference between Quaaludes and painkillers. I think. Not that well versed in chemically-induced "conversation".

Painkillers and booze are a good way to book a trip to blackout island or at the least get totally messed up. That would probably come across as pretty creepy if you said that to a woman.

Why did you bother to mention cuddling to a girl who is saying she is a hoe? This isn't girlfriend material, no reason to play the nice guy and be coy.

"You're hot, wanna come over?" is pretty much how you keep it with people like that.

Absolute truth here...I once matched a woman who was looking to bang on tinder, sent her my measurements as a joke and she asked for a pic, sent the pic to her KiK and we met that night. She didn't look the same as the pictures she'd used on tinder. She was visibly older and chubbier, but damn was it great sex. Didn't much care for the fact that she was living with her brother though, that made things weird as I was leaving...like he'd been sat downstairs just listening or some shit.

Weird.

Anyway, sometimes it doesn't hurt to be direct, especially if the profile is set up in a such way that the person is making it very clear they are only interested in casual sex.

Salamando

I love how you dedicated more words and attention for the pizza than the girl :D

That's 'cause I got to taste the pizza. The girl decided to put in extra time at work to pay for car repairs. Legit excuse or not, I deleted her number.

Painkillers and booze are a good way to book a trip to blackout island or at the least get totally messed up. That would probably come across as pretty creepy if you said that to a woman.
I'll just cut out the middleman and never mention painkillers to a girl.

Hey hoe, what's the dealio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom