• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SArcher

Banned
During the panel Didio said that they're gonna have 17 twice monthly shipping books and 14 monthly books. But isn't it actually 18 twice monthly and 15 monthly?.

Hey Poodlestrike... Good job on the OT. I look forward to your next posts. Cheers.

Good Job on the OT poodlestrike.

Now time to get a rebirth avatar.

Cheers, mate(s)!

Very excited for:

Batman
Detective Comics (first time I've been genuinely excited for this series)
All Star Batman
WW
Flash (hopeful at least, but unknown writer)
Cyborg
Batgirl
Nightwing
Trinity
Superman (Tomasi and Gleason. YES)

And probably more I'm forgetting. Great lineup happening. Hopefully more frequent trade releases too now with the twice-monthly titles.

And Blue Beetle right

Right

Right

We couldn't figure it out in the chat, but does anyone know who the two randos in costume behind Bats are?

I've been thinking about it, but I'd say they're just new.

mreddie

Flash has a meh team
Batgirl looks dope but I dunno about the non Burnside setting
Superwoman...we'll see.
Bats has solid teams on him.
No Zatanna book.

I'm eh on Rebirth.

EDIT: Also 4 Supermen?

What?

MartyStu

No love for Booster Gold :(

This looks to be doing whay DCYou should have done: Concentrate on the books that sell, and sell well. These are hubs. Then slowly spoke from there.

There are some experimentation here, but you will notice that much of that is contained in books they know will do well.

Booster will make it back when they have more of their shit together.

Especially with a Blue Beetle book around.

shingi70

Banned
So what's the Situation on Superman. On the Superman cover it's Clark and Lois White, but the Action Cover looks like Clark Kent and Lois Lane.

That's not future Wally, The wally from the future dies and where stil left with Kid Wally becoming friends with Barry/Flash.

tim1138

Or better yet.... BOOSTER GOLD WAS THE JOKER ALL ALONG!

blue-beetle-and-booster-gold-100437.jpg

DJKhaled

I'll give some of these a shot, I read a lot of Marvel and Image comics but I just can't get into anything by DC. I read great reviews of Superman: American Hero but when I read it, it just wasn't very good to me.

EDIT: Also 4 Supermen?

What?

Trying to copy the spider-verse probably.

I'm skeptical with the bimonthly release schedule.

But Dick is back in his blue costume...

So how does Trade Waiting wait? They come out twice as fast or will they be twice as big?

MartyStu

I'll give some of these a shot, I read a lot of Marvel and Image comics but I just can't get into anything by DC. I read great reviews of Superman: American Hero but when I read it, it just wasn't very good to me.

Try Omega Men and Grayson.

They are both DC books, but King's style is very unique.

Trying to copy the spider-verse probably.

Nah. The other way around.

I'm skeptical with the bimonthly release schedule.

But Dick is back in his blue costume...

So how does Trade Waiting wait? They come out twice as fast or will they be twice as big?

I don't think I've seen anything about trades, but I'd imagine twice as fast.

What happened to BG? Did he really just fade out of existence in JLI and that was it?

Sounds about right.

He'll almost certainly show up in Blue Beetle, Giffen can never seem to resist getting the gang back together. Guy, Fire, and Ice are almost certainly going to crop up as well.

Veelk

Banned
I'm really glad people are feeling positive about this. Batfamily talent concentration is especially impressive, but they're really upping the bar across the board here. If only they'd ditch Venditti, I'd feel confident about basically all of the JL members.

I was never all that negative about the new 52 in general. It started off with a lot of bad books, but a few good ones, and it was also my entry point into comics in general. That was a while ago though, and by now, it's really good with a lot of ambitious, unique books like Gotham Academy. Rebirth seems to be them making this shift official, and formalizing the change by spreading the current surge of creativity and quality even more.

I mean, ignore the talent here for a second. Look at the ideas here. An asian character becoming another superman. Superman getting a son. Wonder Woman is being told with 2 stories. These are kind of ambitious ideas, and I can't wait to see how they pan out. Plus there's a lot of stuff I just always wanted to happen happening here. Like Dick finally going back to being Nightwing with a blue costume. That cover looks fantastic, I hope the art in general is that good. And do you have any idea how long I've been wanting a Trinity book?

And yeah, the writer line up looks really fucking good, especially GREG MOTHERFUCKING RUCKA being back on Wonder Woman. I'm sorry, but he's one of my favorite writers and he made one of the best runs with Wonder Woman that I've ever seen. I am so excited that he's back on WW and I hope he weaves an epic that he can actually finish unlike how he got cut short last time.

The only thing I dislike is how some books are multiple runs of the same character. I don't mind team books, but I just don't like seeing multiple simultaneous books of the same character. It just muddles the characterization. I'd rather they put Snyder on one Batman book, and then used the other writers to do other stuff instead of having ten cooks in the kitchen on one character.

So yeah, overall, I'm really eager with a lot of these titles.

My guess is that they will be Superman-tier heroes challenging the Bats' monopoly on fighting crime in Gotham.

Wow, that's going to go really poorly for them.

Holy shit I just realized that's the point. Tom King is going to write an allegory for American intervention in the middle east using these two super powered types.

shingi70

Banned
I could have sworn Vendetti had posted that he was done with non Valiant titles. I'm just glad he's not on the Lantern title i'm interested in.

The Superman line is missing a book similar to Detective Comics about the supporting characters like Steel and Lana.

MartyStu

Wow, that's going to go really poorly for them.

Holy shit I just realized that's the point. Tom King is going to write an allegory for American intervention in the middle east using these two super powered types.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems.

That crashing plane on the cover is not the kind of thing Batman is usually equipped to quickly deal with.

I could have sworn Vendetti had posted that he was done with non Valiant titles. I'm just glad he's not on the Lantern title i'm interested in.

The Superman line is missing a book similar to Detective Comics about the supporting characters like Steel and Lana.

Action Comics seems to be doing that. Just not as much as Detective Comics.

He could be writing either of the 2 creative unknowns, but at the moment all we know for sure he's doing is the Rebirth and Green Lantern Rebirth oneshots.

When they were talking about Aquaman Johns also confirmed that he's working on Rise of the Seven Seas. Which I guess will be a mini.

Oh yeah.

So you recommend any blue beetle stuff that is currently in collected format?

It was largely overlooked, but the Blue Beetle series that spun out of Infinite Crisis was one of the best teen super-hero books that DC has ever put out. The main villains in the overall arc, The Reach, were even used in season two of the Young Justice cartoon. The series started out kinda week but I strongly recommend the 2 - 4 volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401213618/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401216420/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401219527/?tag=neogaf0e-20

When they were talking about Aquaman Johns also confirmed that he's working on Rise of the Seven Seas. Which I guess will be a mini.

More likely an event book, but yeah, that too.

Anything currently in print that I wouldn't have to pay cover price or more on?

Print, hmm.

Instocktrades doesn't list the first volume of the 06 run, which is the only one I can really recommend :/

Have you heard about our lord and savior, digital comics?

Machine

Midnighter and Grayson have been damn good so naturally those are gone. Lois and Clark is the best work Jurgens has done in ages, hopefully he can keep it up on his new assignment. Titans Hunt has been good too, glad to see Abnett's work being pivotal. Now if Abnett could work in Resurrection Man - that was an under-appreciated title (particularly volume 1).

aly

Midnighter and Grayson have been damn good so naturally those are gone. Lois and Clark is the best work Jurgens has done in ages, hopefully he can keep it up on his new assignment. Titans Hunt has been good too, glad to see Abnett's work being pivotal. Now if Abnett could work in Resurrection Man - that was an under-appreciated title (particularly volume 1).

To be fair they did say the events and characters from Grayson would carry over to Nightwing, so hopefully its not a total loss.

VanWinkle

I thought Lobdell was fine in Red Hood and the Outlaws personally. I enjoyed that series, but I understand why not everybody likes it.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, I find it pretty upsetting as well.

This 'Dark Trinity' idea is pretty cool as well, I just do not want it from him.

Do you know if he got any better? He's been on the book so long, you'd think he'd gain some competency in telling stories with the characters.

Apt101

So they're just changing costumes and putting some characters in new roles? Ugh. This will give DC a little bump for a while but it's not going to do anything to win back that gigantic portion of market share they've been losing since New 52.

aly

Do you know if he got any better? He's been on the book so long, you'd think he'd gain some competency in telling stories with the characters.

Imo no. It's pretty sad when the characters end up way better when showing up in other books. Although I'm thinking about Robin Wars and Grayson mostly. Even Eternal was more bearable.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So they're just changing costumes and putting some characters in new roles? Ugh. This will give DC a little bump for a while but it's not going to do anything to win back that gigantic portion of market share they've been losing since New 52.

Also a ton of great writers on some good books

What else do you want?

VanWinkle

Out of curiosity, what do you think they should have done to win back those fans?

They're also putting a ton of talent back into rotation and bringing back large chunks of the characters' histories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom