• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 | Review Thread

TrebleShot

Thank you.
It's nice to see there 2 options for both performance and fidelity, 1080p for 60fps is a bit disappointing but i will take it every day over 30fps, I'm playing Ghostwire now on 1080p and it looks nice on XSX, so i hope DI2 still looks good in performance mode.
Had a feeling it would be the case (1080) I think Jedi Survivor will be the same TBH

oji-san

Banned
Had a feeling it would be the case (1080) I think Jedi Survivor will be the same TBH
It's not ideal for sure, and i really can't understand how giant games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla can run at 60fps and looking very good and some games has to lower their res down to 1080p but if it's 4K 30fps or 1080p 60fps then it will always be the 60fps option to me. A shame they can't bump the res to 1440p that will hit the sweet spot.

GHG

Looks ok I guess, not as good as I was hoping for.

Will wait for a sale and then pick it up on Steam or via a key store.

Thank you.
Interesting... you say the Series X has no 2 modes and only a 4K 60fps mode...
The other review i just saw said the PS5 had 2 modes and the 60fps mode is at 1080p.
Would be interesting to see farther analysis.
We never said it has performance or quality mode. Both PS5/Series X are 60 FPS, at least not in the video review. I just checked the written review as well. Nothing in there about any modes. Maybe you were looking at someone else or a different game and got them confused?

Last edited:

Denton

Dambuster is a good studio, Homefront Revolution on PC was the best Far Cry game since FC3, once it was patched. I knew this was gonna be great and so far all local reviews from people I actually trust are at 8/10 and very positive.

Shame about the EGS bullshit though. I am not buying it there.

Improved combat?!?! That's great! I loved the first one for pure mindless fun, and this sounds like more of the same. Will pick it up when I see a sale.....

oji-san

Banned
We never said it has performance or quality mode. Both PS5/Series X are 60 FPS, at least not in the video review. I just checked the written review as well. Nothing in there about any modes. Maybe you were looking at someone else or a different game and got them confused?
I was reading this review:
https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/dead-island-2-review-a-lackluster-sequel/

It was edited or something as i was clearly saw it said there was 2 modes on PS5, one of them was 4K 30fps and the one they played was on 1080p 60fps.

ZoukGalaxy

Average-good, like the first entries and I'm totally fine with that, I wanted more of the same that Dying Light never delivered and Dead Island 2 seems to be exactly that, definitively on my buying list to put it in my infinite backlog.

meow-meow-loophole.gif

Last edited:

schaft0620

Thank you.
Interesting... you say the Series X has no 2 modes and only a 4K 60fps mode...
The other review i just saw said the PS5 had 2 modes and the 60fps mode is at 1080p.
Would be interesting to see farther analysis.
I saw that,

I checked the menu three times just to be sure. I captured directly from the console and it was reading out at 60fps directly out of the console. I will check again tonight.

EDIT I beat the game last week so it could have been added. Also, maybe the other person was on the XSS. IDK but will check again because my review can't be inaccurate.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Great to see that it isn't getting torpedoed by critics completely just because of the cheeky nature of it. I'll enjoy it once there is a nice sale.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Obviously, I haven't played the game, so maybe the zombie killing and story missions aren't good enough for higher praise and scores. but when these reviews say "just zombie killing and story missions", I wonder what else they expect, let alone from a Dead Island game. Wasn't the new hotness to say that games need to stop being bloated with endless fluff and side content?

And we wonder why games take so much longer to make these days. It's not the only reason, but apparently fans and critics alike want every game to be everything and an extra drumstick.

Eiknarf

why does Metacritic have separate reviews for PS5 and XBOX S/X? While OpenCritic has all reviews together?

Which do you prefer and why?

DaGwaphics

why does Metacritic have separate reviews for PS5 and XBOX S/X? While OpenCritic has all reviews together?

Which do you prefer and why?

I can see where you might segregate the reviews if there are major performance differences (say between last-gen and current gen). Maybe the last-gen release runs terrible (CP2077) but the next-gen version is fine. I pay zero mind to any of it personally, so I don't care one way or the other.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Reviews are about what I expected, these have never gotten 9s or 10s. Coop with friends will raise the value of the game exponentially which is what I'm excited about.

DaGwaphics

I can’t wait to pay $4.99 for this some day on steam.

I can fully support this idea. I think I bought the remastered ones as a bundle for $3.99 (on the Xbox store).

Luckily there are enough FOMO buyers to subsidize all the cheapskates, it would be tragic if there weren't. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fake

As soon as I saw the preview I could guess would be a mid game. Not much to ask since zombie is all over the place.

Just don't like the script at all, hope this can be complety ignored in favor of the gameplay. And the cards already was a silly ideia since CoD Infinity Warfare already gave their zombie modes an use of card system.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh, I already have my proper "zombie game" with RE4R, this game doesn't look all that attractive by comparison.

Luigi Mario

It’s impressive that this game will release at all, considering it was first announced at E3 2014 and changed devs like three times.

Last edited:

TwinB242

About what I expected. It was always going to be difficult for this game to make a significant impression considering that Dying Light 2 is very much the same style of game and thats still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Ill pick it up on sale.

Last edited:

Phase

About what I expected. It was always going to be difficult for this game to make a significant impression considering that Dying Light 2 is very much the same style of game and thats still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Ill pick it up on sale.
A fresh pile of doodoo. I think this game will have far better reception in the long run than DL2.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Bloody-Disgusting gave it a 4.5/5

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Dead Island 2 reminds me so much of BioShock in the ways it allows players to have freedom with their weapons and abilities and choose how to tackle bosses and enemies in their environment. At times the game feels like more of a spiritual successor to the BioShock series instead of a direct continuation of gameplay ideas from the first game. It feels so focused. This game could have easily been a bloated open-world zombie sequel, but by pulling back the reins and focusing on the strengths of gameplay design, Dead Island 2 is able to shine.

TwinB242

A fresh pile of doodoo. I think this game will have far better reception in the long run than DL2.

How so? With smaller environments and no real parkour or movement options, it seems like it'll just be simplified a version of that game.

DeVeAn

Looks fun but, seems like it will wear out fast like part 1. I Really liked the resort but once I hit the city I was over it. This looks like it will repeat that.

EGS_DeadIsland2_DeepSilverDambusterStudios_S1_2560x1440-fdc688ce46680914ee3c4a7949ce8a67

Game Information​

Game Title: Dead Island 2

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Apr 21, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Apr 21, 2023)
  • PC (Apr 21, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 21, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Dambuster Studios

Publisher: Deep Silver

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 76 average - 60% recommended - 15 reviews

pgU34YU.jpg

MetaCritic - 75 average - PlayStation 5 - 59 Reviews

LTGfyEq.jpg

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 90 / 100

AusGamers - Kosta Andreadis - 7.5 / 10

But Why Tho? - Arron Kluz - 8 / 10

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.3 / 10

GGRecon - Tarran Stockton - 2.5 / 5

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 8.1 / 10

Hey Poor Player - James Davies - 3 / 5

PlayStation Universe - Neil Bolt - 8.5 / 10

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 8.5 / 10

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 8 / 10

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

TechRaptor - William Worrall - 7 / 10

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 85%

LEONID MELIKHOV - Gaming Instincts - 8/10 - Video
I've been waiting for this game for so long. I loved the first dead island. I hated dying light 2. so damn boring. So damn gray and the MC had as much personality as a stale piece of bread. I I would have loved for it to taken place in Florida or something over Cali. Cali has been so overused it's insane. Can't wait for this Friday 😤

Top Bottom