• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 | Review Thread

GenericUser

Yep, this is exactly the kind of game I needed. Just mindless zombie slaying. One thing, why do they keep referring to my guy as a "they?" Lol
Yeah, it's much better then I expected it to be. Level design is first class, combat is varied, brutal and very satisfying, graphics are nice. Everything works and is super fun to play. I really really like it so far.

GymWolf

Yeah, it's much better then I expected it to be. Level design is first class, combat is varied, brutal and very satisfying, graphics are nice. Everything works and is super fun to play. I really really like it so far.
How so? It looked fairly repetitive.

Is there a lot to unlock like active skills, super moves and shit?

GenericUser

How so? It looked fairly repetitive.

Is there a lot to unlock like active skills, super moves and shit?
Different weapon types that have their very distinct advantages and disadvantages, the way you can customize the weapons to suit your playstyle, the really cool finishing moves. I only found a couple of skill cards so far but i already like the fact that you can swap them in and out to your liking. That encourages experimentation.

For example: i currently run a dagger build. It seems that daggers do little damage to body hits and they don't cut off limbs but they do a very high amount of damage when you strike the head of a zombie and it feels like these hits charge their stagger meter very fast. That means I can run towards a zombie, hit him in the head, dodge his counter attack and then quickly perform a finish move (which looks really cool). I could do that all day long. Ninja style

Last edited:

GymWolf

Different weapon types that have their very distinct advantages and disadvantages, the way you can customize the weapons to suit your playstyle, the really cool finishing moves. I only found a couple of skill cards so far but i already like the fact that you can swap them in and out to your liking. That encourages experimentation.

For example: i currently run a dagger build. It seems that daggers do little damage to body hits and they don't cut of limbs but they do a very high amount of damage when you strike the head of a zombie and it feels like these hits charge their stagger meter very fast. That means I can run towards a zombie, hit him in the head, dodge his counter attack and then quickly perform a finish move (which looks really cool). I could do that all day long. Ninja style
I want to buy the game when i'm done with horizon dlc but it's gonna be hard to convince my balls to pay full price on the epic store...

GymWolf

Yo Pejo Pejo a dude on reeee said this in response to a dude who said the game was too easy, take it as you want

It isn't. Dead Island 2 difficulty ramps up in later stages, it was built with co-op in mind so solo players will have instances where the game is a challenge.

Pejo

Yo Pejo Pejo a dude on reeee said this in response to a dude who said the game was too easy, take it as you want

It isn't. Dead Island 2 difficulty ramps up in later stages, it was built with co-op in mind so solo players will have instances where the game is a challenge.
Sounds perfect. It wasn't so much a difficulty thing that kept us from enjoying Riptide, but the horde based gameplay just wasn't fun. We like the more objective focused RPG elements of 1 with the encounters pretty consistent but not overwhelming from a sheer numbers perspective.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I need some feedback from ps5 users, does the game run decently?

The ps5 version is unironically cheaper than the pc version...

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
The devs took the perfect decision regarding the resolution by settling to a fixed 1800p at 60 fps. This is the best both PS5 and XSX can offer and it always baffles me when a studios goes the lazy way by going to 1440p while there is middle ground to 2160p. On a side note , it shows again that the refresh consoles will be needed shortly to FINALLY has a easy native 2160p at 60 fps and then also sparkles some ray tracing on top without a sweat from the hardware .

Last edited:

Denton

DSOG is extremely positive about the game's visuals, damn

Dead Island 2 does not feature a dynamic time of day or ray tracing effects. However, Dambuster has managed to provide some of the best environments we’ve seen. This is mostly due to the game’s incredible pre-baked lighting. Dambuster has managed to exceed what even Naughty Dog has achieved with The Last of Us and the UNCHARTED series. Dead Island 2 features the best pre-baked lighting I’ve seen.

Just take a look at the following screenshots. In numerous cases, I was genuinely stunned by the game’s graphics. I mean, I haven’t captured this many screenshots in any other game. And contrary to other games that use a real-time dynamic TOD, Dead Island 2 looks consistently amazing. That’s the beauty of pre-baked lighting. And frankly, this game will age as well as Assassin’s Creed Unity did. It’s THAT good (graphics-wise).

Furthermore, the game’s GORE system is spectacular. Dead Island 2 features one of the best dismemberment systems we’ve seen. Players can burn the flesh of zombies or use toxic weapons to decompose them. Seriously, this GORE system puts to shame every other zombie game, including the latest Resident Evil games.

All in all, I’m really impressed with what Dambuster has created. Let’s also not forget that Dead Island 2 has been in development hell for a long time. The fact that this game is out, and looks as good as it does, is a miracle by itself.

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_07_08_49_28_975.jpg

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_11_10_30_21_789.jpg

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_06_23_14_18_630.jpg

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_08_08_47_20_763.jpg

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_06_23_33_42_706.jpg

DeadIsland-Win64-Shipping_2023_04_06_23_30_43_051.jpg

Last edited:

Eiknarf

How’s the haptic feedback and trigger effects?

Denton

What’s “pre-baked” lighting ? And as opposed to what? (Pardon my ignorance)
Developers render the lighting offline and "bake it" into the textures. So it can look photorealistic while not actually being demanding for hardware. Drawback is the static nature of it - no dynamic time of day changes or dramatic weather changes, no dynamic light bounces from light sources. E.g. AC Unity has amazing lighting, but anytime you want to change time of day, you have to reload the game and wait for loading screen.

If you want this level of quality in a dynamic world, you need raytracing (RTGI or pathtracing).

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Developers render the lighting offline and "bake it" into the textures. So it can look photorealistic while not actually being demanding for hardware. Drawback is the static nature of it - no dynamic time of day changes or dramatic weather changes, no dynamic light bounces from light sources. E.g. AC Unity has amazing lighting, but anytime you want to change time of day, you have to reload the game and wait for loading screen.

If you want this level of quality in a dynamic world, you need raytracing (RTGI or pathtracing).
Thank you. Very interesting

drotahorror

And there it is. Fucking sellout to Epic, oh and they got the money for Denuvo. Shit on Steam that made the series popular in the first place.

The game and the gore especially looked very fun and nasty. Deep Silver can eat a deep dick in their throat.

Hugare

And there it is. Fucking sellout to Epic, oh and they got the money for Denuvo. Shit on Steam that made the series popular in the first place.

The game and the gore especially looked very fun and nasty. Deep Silver can eat a deep dick in their throat.
Denuvo is like $ 20.00,00

That's why you dont see any "AAA" games being released without it. It's so cheap.

Justin9mm

Man I think this is my first disappointment of 2023. The amount of zombies is embarrassing
Can you elaborate..?

I personally want a fun more relaxed game taking my time killing zombies how I want rather than fast paced hordes or large groups of zombies all the time.

Salz01

I’m enjoying the focus and pacing much more in this than dying light 2. Game is pretty good so far. Just made it to the second level. It’s fun exploring and trying to figure out how to get into rooms and stuff.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
is the gameplay really that fun? heard that sidequest is very repetitive.

what about world design?

Im still thinking whether to jump into this game.

J3nga

Wanted to give it a go, but it's on epic and I'd have to pay a full price for a PC game, there are no keys to be bought elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. Also don't want to support any exclusivity BS, people should have options for where they wan't to buy their games, this publisher does not let me do so therefore I'm voting with my wallet. I don't mind games coming out on Epic, but I do mind games coming out only there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom