• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 | Review Thread

Umbasaborne

Banned
I feel like we are running up against a wall much sooner than i expected regarding the power of these consoles. Seems like performance modes are still routinely 1080p on series x and ps5, while quality 30 fps modes struggle to hit 4k. What gives? I really did not expect these machines to get so quickly outclassed by modern pc hardware. Its like these consoles cant even keep up with what the 30 series cards are doing, let alone the 40 series cards. It seems like devs who are ingrained in the hardware, like sony’s first party studios, can squeeze every last drop out of their box, but third parties seem to be doing the bare minimum and i feel like most 3rd party console ports have been particularly bad lately

Edit: ignore me, i read 1800 as 1080 for some reason

Last edited:
I feel like we are running up against a wall much sooner than i expected regarding the power of these consoles. Seems like performance modes are still routinely 1080p on series x and ps5, while quality 30 fps modes struggle to hit 4k. What gives? I really did not expect these machines to get so quickly outclassed by modern pc hardware. Its like these consoles cant even keep up with what the 30 series cards are doing, let alone the 40 series cards. It seems like devs who are ingrained in the hardware, like sony’s first party studios, can squeeze every last drop out of their box, but third parties seem to be doing the bare minimum and i feel like most 3rd party console ports have been particularly bad lately

Not sure what you mean. This game looks great and runs at a very stable 1800p/60fps on both Series X and PS5.

Hugare

How so? With smaller environments and no real parkour or movement options, it seems like it'll just be simplified a version of that game.
More complex gameplay/game design doesnt translate automatically to a better game

Sometimes a more focused, simpler game can be better executed and more enjoyable

I've enjoyed DL 2, bought it on my PS5 and PC, but despite the gameplay being great, the overall package is really lacking compared to the more simpler 1st game

acm2000

having just recently finished Dying Light Enhanced/The Following followed by Dead Island Riptide straight after, im not sure i can go back to DI's lack of movement freedom and slow combat.

def a "wait till cheaper" game for me

Last edited:
Deep sale fodder in a years time for me

It'll be 20 bucks in a few months lol, especially considering its an Epic exclusive that isnt so hot to begin with, and most PC users wont buy it. They knew it was going to be a bad game so they just took a quick buck to recover all the lost time with its production. Doubt this shit is going to get post launch/support.

GymWolf

It'll be 20 bucks in a few months lol, especially considering its an Epic exclusive that isnt so hot to begin with, and most PC users wont buy it. They knew it was going to be a bad game so they just took a quick buck to recover all the lost time with its production. Doubt this shit is going to get post launch/support.
Forspoken got a dlc, nothing is off the table my dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GenericUser

I've been waiting for this game for so long. I loved the first dead island. I hated dying light 2. so damn boring. So damn gray and the MC had as much personality as a stale piece of bread. I I would have loved for it to taken place in Florida or something over Cali. Cali has been so overused it's insane. Can't wait for this Friday 😤
Yeah, dying light 2 was definitely worse then dying light 1. What a shame. I just hope dead island 2 will deliver. But everything looks really good so far. Can't wait.

Eiknarf

Looking at all the Metacritic reviews, not one is in the RED zone… everything is mediocre to very good. But also there’s not even one review that gave it a 100 either

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Average reviews - Will wait for it to turn up on PC gamepass
That should be their new slogan.

Game Pass - Your Average Game Waiter™
Fail Music Video GIF by FOURCE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow I guess that other guy was right. NeoGAF is full of Xbox haters and playstation lovers 😧
Aww, snookums. Just pull up a chair and enjoy the snark. I don't care for any sub service for games, personay, but "will wait for (average game) on game pass" is every bit a meme now and repeated ad nauseam by subscribers.

P.S. I'm one person, not all of Gaf. You know what else is an ad nauseam gaming "meme?" Second largest company in the world's fans having a persecution complex. Figure that shit out.

Last edited:

schaft0620

Thank you.
Interesting... you say the Series X has no 2 modes and only a 4K 60fps mode...
The other review i just saw said the PS5 had 2 modes and the 60fps mode is at 1080p.
Would be interesting to see farther analysis.
I just checked again, there are no visual or performance mode settings on the XSX.

Probably wouldn't need them if it's 4K 60 FPS.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I moved my region to turkey after I paid a Turk guy to change it and I never paid full price for games again. Most of them anyways have so bad quality that do not deserve even their turkish price.
how does that work? Change console region to turkey and buy games from the store with your credit card?

Melchiah

I'm definitely going to pick this up at some point. Unfortunately, it'll take a while since it comes out right next to Burning Shores, and I really can't stomach to play two open world games right next to each other.

Eiknarf

Anybody have an opinion on which character (they think) is the fuckin best to play as? I know it’s not out yet, but I feel like fans are already thinking about that shit

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What are the difficulty options in the game, anyone with the game can kindly answer that please ?

Pejo

I need to watch some "let's play"s of this game. My gf and I loved co-oping the first one, but Riptide was too many hoards and really lost the feeling that the first one had, so we didn't really get into it.

If there's less hoards and more quests like 1, we would definitely pick this up and play together again.

I need to watch some "let's play"s of this game. My gf and I loved co-oping the first one, but Riptide was too many hoards and really lost the feeling that the first one had, so we didn't really get into it.

If there's less hoards and more quests like 1, we would definitely pick this up and play together again.
It's definitely less hoards judging by the reviews I've watched. There's never a ton of zombies on screen.

GymWolf

I saw no hordes in any footage.

Also heard that the game is cakewalk-y, so probably not much chaos even in the later areas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom