• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Girls Who Are (Finally) Ready To Date Fedoras: We Don't Want You Anymore, M'Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

Nice guys aren't bad at all, the ones who prop themselves up on their nice guy status are.

Girls fucking love nice guys. What they don't love is the type of nice guy who uses "nice" the same way another would use a Porsche or their sixpack. Because most can see through both of them. Easily. And having to pick between two fakes they'll go with the fun one.

Hint: It's the Porsche and/or sixpack.

Girls fucking love nice guys. What they don't love is the type of nice guy who uses "nice" the same way another would use a Porsche or their sixpack. Because most can see through both of them. Easily. And having to pick between two fakes they'll go with the fun one.

Hint: It's the Porsche and/or sixpack.

So what you're saying is I should get a sixpack of Porsches?

I think this is more of a "The fundimental differences between men and women" thing than a nice guys versus assholes thing.

Ehhh, I'd argue it's not that fundamental. I'm basically trying to say that being an asshole isn't always being "degrading". You can be an asshole in a number of ways and not all of the situations are "bad".

Mesoian

Ehhh, I'd argue it's not that fundamental. I'm basically trying to say that being an asshole isn't always being "degrading". You can be an asshole in a number of ways and not all of the situations are "bad".

But there are ways of "acting an asshole" that are one sided. For example, I once knew a woman who thought her boyfriend was being a complete jerk because every time she tried to tell him about something at work that was annoying her, he would cut her off with a story of something that annoyed him at work. What she wanted was him to listen to her and simply allow her to vent in order to make her feel better. What he was doing was attempting to empathize with her by telling her stories of himself being in the same situation, which gives agency to her plight. She thinks he's not paying attention, he's confused to why she's unhappy with him agreeing with her and a fight brews. Both people see each other as acting like an asshole because they're trying to make each other feel better.

Obligatory:

Nmm5t.png

In the end women aren't vending machines that you put kindness and expensive dinners into and pussy falls out.

That last panel should have him walking away and finding a fedora rising from the earth like a crossroads demon ready to make it's next deal.

Haha, fuck. Didn't realize that last panel was added. But it makes it even funnier, lol.

Joe

I'm going to assume the article is real. It's weird how much time he spends qualifying himself to someone he says he's not interested in anymore.

The guy in that comic is lame as fuck but this idea that we all have to conform to the same things is ridiculous. If someone wants to spend their time inside writing poetry then more power to them. Just don't be an emotional coward.

I feel like actual relationships are far more complicated than people like to give them credit for, that fedoras/niceguys/assholes are just total oversimplifications of the actual intricacies of human relationships and that the usual vitriol that's provided is essentially poisonous to internalize at this point. The shitty comics don't help.

Mesoian

I feel like actual relationships are far more complicated than people like to give them credit for, that fedoras/niceguys/assholes are just total oversimplifications of the actual intricacies of human relationships and that the usual vitriol that's provided is essentially poisonous to internalize at this point. The shitty comics don't help.

Of course. Most people in the position of the OP, joking or not, think that once they've achieved a relationship, it's all cupcakes and rainbows after that. It's not. It never will be. I particularly love the scene in The Wolf of Wall Street where DiCapiro and his wife are getting married and the wedding cost something like 1.8 million dollars and he buys her the yahct and they're happy beyond words and everything has gone perfectly, and in the very next scene, they are SCREAMING at each other at the top of their lungs because ultimately they think of each other as status symbols opposed to life partners and they make each other miserable.

Relationships are hard.

Relationships are HARD.

If you don't know how to even start a relationship, what are you gonna do when one starts collapsing around your ears?

MogCakes

Obligatory:

The point of that comic is agreeable. The author's reasoning for what men 'should' be is narrow-minded and idiotic. Apparently guys that enjoy RPGs/gaming, writing, and learning more than playing sports or physical activities are inferior to guys who simply play sports and other physical activities. "The joys of youth" as it were is a bunch of shit when you consider everyone's youth experiences are different, as are their many interests or lack thereof. Talk about oversimplification, sweeping judgment, and generalization. This holds true for women too. I'd say there are better comics out there that succeed in expressing the intended point without adding 'should be' generalizing BS gender stereotypes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Every "comic" about this subject is stupid and subject to bias.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Every "comic" about this subject is stupid and subject to bias.

They're extremely hard not to roll your eyes at. Every writer gives off a "what I've made is special and unique and it takes a brilliant mind to think how I think" vibe.

Mesoian

I am DEAD at this accuracy!

Case in point .

Did I lie? Lol. This comic is one of those women.

...wa?

I mean, no, because even if she says that, she's going to go, "Oh right," and pull out her cellphone and call up one of her friends and totally go full on HAM mode on the guy who just put her in that situation. I mean, that's the point. He didn't move in, he stayed "friendzoned" even though he didn't want to be in that situation in the first place and thinks he's entitled to more because he's nice.

One of the worst things that a "Nice Guy" can do is think that if he's not around, her life STOPS, or if not stops, is a dramatically worse place to be compared to when he's around. The idea that someone cannot function if you're not around is dangerous and foolhardy.

They're extremely hard not to roll your eyes at. Every writers give off a "what I've made is special and unique and it takes a brilliant mind to think how I think" vibe.

The comics that add on an extra panel on the bottom as if to go, "And now, the rest of the story," are particularly bad because they don't understand the flaws of the original comic.

TheWriter

Is that last panel meant to be sarcastic or not? I honestly can't tell anymore. I read through the whole thread, and going by what Aya said, and in the same tone of generalization as the comic does, the story would continue like this:
The woman will then grow older, mature and get maternal feelings and will seek out not the type of "asshole"-guy she dated before, but the guy she blasted to hell in her page-long rambling.
So, I really don't know, did she "win" that argument against the "nice guy" she blasted, or does she lose in the end, cause she possibly cannot stay together with an impulsive, reckless "asshole" when she seeks to become a mother with responsibilities and stuff?

I mean, the comic is basically the same as all the other rage comics, where one person is a dumb ape (in this case the "nice guy") and the other is the intelligent person who just BURNS the ape with tens of dozens of words.

I just can't tell anymore.

Mesoian

Is that last panel meant to be sarcastic or not? I honestly can't tell anymore. I read through the whole thread, and going by what Aya said, and in the same tone of generalization as the comic does, the story would continue like this:
The woman will then grow older, mature and get maternal feelings and will seek out not the type of "asshole"-guy she dated before, but the guy she blasted to hell in her page-long rambling.
So, I really don't know, did she "win" that argument against the "nice guy" she blasted, or does she lose in the end, cause she possibly cannot stay together with an impulsive, reckless "asshole" when she seeks to become a mother with responsibilities and stuff?

I mean, the comic is basically the same as all the other rage comics, where one person is a dumb ape (in this case the "nice guy") and the other is the intelligent person who just BURNS the ape with tens of dozens of words.

I just can't tell anymore.

It's not a great comic and the edit to it misses the point equally.

This is a much better comic about the romantic aspirations of people in these situations.

2014-04-22-spaghetti.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The best part of that terrible edit is that the Fedora who wrote in the last panel is the line about "drinking beer and watching sports" like those are somehow terrible "bad boyfriend" things.

That turtle comic is bumming me out, though.

The best part of that terrible edit is that the Fedora who wrote in the last panel is the line about "drinking beer and watching sports" like those are somehow terrible "bad boyfriend" things.

That turtle comic is bumming me out, though.

In fairness, the womans rant mentioned a lot of stupid things too like being "pale skinned" and having an interest in history making a guy undesirable.

Anyway, I'm a nice guy by nature and have no intention of forcing myself to change who I am. I'm never going to be particularly extroverted or prone to anger or being argumentative. That's just my temperament... it appeals to some, but not to others.

The most important life change I ever made was moving from being a brooding mopey teen into a fundamentally positive person. Have a laugh, have fun, don't wallow in self pity and just generally try not to be self absorbed. People will notice and enjoy spending time with you. You don't need to make yourself some sort of testosterone fueled alpha male if that's just not who you are.

Sadetar

This quite accurately shows how I felt while reading some parts of this thread.
img.php

But then again some people are being sarcastic while sharing their stereotypes and they are not as douchey as I could quickly assume.

Right?

Edit: Ah, I think I am going to give this thread another go after some sleeping and see does it look the same when I am more alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom