• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Girls Who Are (Finally) Ready To Date Fedoras: We Don't Want You Anymore, M'Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

monome

I'm not entirely sure I understand what point you're getting at because of the odd way you're phrasing your posts, but if you really believe this is satire (satyr?), then your agreement with the text in the OP is the equivalent of responding to A Modest Proposal with "so exquisitely/disgustingly true. What use are poor kids to their parents if not as food for the wealthy?"

In that context, I'm cruel. yes. That the guy thinks being past 30 and having a job entices him to good things is the sweet equivalent of the 20 something girls thinking they can turn the objects of their lust into proper fathering prospects.
The audi is the tattoo.
the texting the ex is the posting a rant online
etc...
If not a satire, then this text is the equivalent of a B-movie so bad it's good.

I consider women to be neither children, nor poor. at least in the subtext that implies a lack of defenses.

In the context of the OP, both the guy and the girl show utter disdain for self-esteem.
No signs of either passion or will.

Like the irish kids you smartly refer to, they both are destined for shitness in that cute little story. Good thing is most people learn stuff even tho it takes some more time for some people. or they get together with compatible people and keep their carnival of stupid mostly to themselves.

Sikma42 is so very sweet.

stilgar

Yea, although there is difference between enjoying sex and not respecting your body. Sorry I don't want some women who has been ran through by 100 men...25 of whom she can't remember their names. Oh and yes, at 30 if you don't have your life together then I don't want anything to do with you. I'm not trying to subsidize some women who didn't have the foresight to make good decisions. The game has changed and you can find some other dude that is a better match.

I've found my antithesis. It's quite the emotional moment.

Nudull

Banned
"I'm the nicest guy in the whole wide world! Please excuse me while I slut-shame you, make disgusting comments about your age and flaunt my insecurity and bitterness like it's going out of style."

If you have your life together at 30 you have a boring life ;)

As a 30 y/o whose biggest worry is fighting with an association over the style of fence for the family dog, I really laughed hard at this. I miss chain smoking in my shitty apartment; drinking heavily with my roommate while ignoring past-due fines for noise violations.

On a more on-topic note, I have to reiterate that this m'lady meme is the greatest thing to ever happen to the internet. Lord knows I was one of those guys in high school, and if GAF would've been there to shame me - I maybe wouldn't have waited until college to stop being so damn awkward.

sikma42

Banned
If you have your life together at 30 you have a boring life ;)

Yup. Because one has a lot to do with the other. I'm not even talking about myself, but if you believe that then you haven't met many people. And before we talk about the definition of "together" and argue semantics, lets stay within the context that it was originally used...

As a 30 y/o who's biggest worry is fighting with an association over the style of fence for the family dog, I really laughed hard at this. I miss chain smoking in my shitty apartment; drinking heavily with my roommate while ignoring past-due fines for noise violations.

don't project your boring life on me. Having a plan and being on a track(not "just having a job") is just one part of life. You can get there any of 1000 ways. However, nothing about having your stuff together means you live a boring life.

All I listed were 3 basic qualifications. I came from a poor background and there are just certain things I won't accept.

sikma42

Banned
"I'm the nicest guy in the whole wide world! Please excuse me while I slut-shame you, make disgusting comments about your age and flaunt my insecurity and bitterness like it's going out of style."

I'm really not bitter at all or insecure. Its just that neogaf, a video game site, is predictably full of guys trying to white knight women. It can be seen in every thread where the any tangentially relevant issues come out.

Women says:

I don't want to date a player.

I don't want to date someone without their career together.

I don't want to date someone younger than me. Its just my preference.

Neogaf says:

Yea, you have a right to your preferences.

Yea, women are attracted to success, nothing wrong with that.

Women are attracted to who they are attracted too.

Guys says something similar:

*see this thread*

daniels

Yup. Because one has a lot to do with the other. I'm not even talking about myself, but if you believe that then you haven't met many people. And before we talk about the definition of "together" and argue semantics, lets stay within the context that it was originally used...

Sry i was not that serious its just fun and games no need to get upset.

Don't project your boring life on me. Having a plan and being on a track(not "just having a job") is just one part of life. You can get there any of 1000 ways. However, nothing about having your stuff together means you live a boring life.

All I listed were 3 basic qualifications. I came from a poor background and there are just certain things I won't accept.

Hey, relax - I don't know what you mean by 'projecting,' I just thought the statement was funny because although very fulfilling, I do live a 'boring life' compared to my wild life in my 20s.

Additionally, I also grew-up urban poor in the 80s/90s - not that I fully understand what that has to do with anything.

monome

I'm really not bitter at all or insecure. Its just that neogaf, a video game site, is predictably full of guys trying to white knight women. It can be seen in every thread where the any tangentially relevant issues come out.

Your posts sound heartless is pretty much all we say.

I don't think videogames have anything to do with white-knighting women.

Most men do care for women, and vice-vera. even tho it's a messed-up way of caring in some cases.

Your comments point to you looking for a sweet girl, whereas sweet is just a fraction of what girls are.

I disagree. Achieving a healthier lifestyle, especially one that directly affect your physical appearance in a positive manner, is often a very large boon that can help push people doing it to be more positive in general in life.

More confidence in one's self can bring really wondrous change in how one treat the people and the world around him/her.
Ya, on reflection a hobby that falls under the 'self improvement' category certainly can make one's life better, leading them to be more self confident, happier ect. So I'll retract some of what I said. I was referring more to the fact that if you're an asshole, turning your body into a temple doesn't mean you stop being an asshole.

It's kinda interesting that this pattern is repeating on this very page.

I for one know slut shaming and calling 30 old and decrepit is the sure fire way into my heart.

sikma42

Banned
Your posts sound heartless is pretty much all we say.

I don't think videogames have anything to do with white-knighting women.

Most men do care for women, and vice-vera. even tho it's a messed-up way of caring in some cases.

Your comments point to you looking for a sweet girl, whereas sweet is just a fraction of what girls are.

i apologize for not writing a treatise on the subject.

Enosh

I don't see a problem with a guy rejecting a girl because she rejected him years ago
assuming the story isn't some made up bullshit

monome

i apologize for not writing a treatise on the subject.

hummm...

do you realize we, GAF, would rather read about your dreams and help shape (in some very humble internet manner) them than reading you don't want your GF to be an ex-con who is HIV positive?!

or more on topic, if you yourself actually had disppointements like in the OP, or what are the pbs you face these days when meeting (not meeting?) girls.

That you think many girls are boring or not your cup of tea or else in understandable.

Your tirade about having earned a smart and beautifull virgin by being a smart and beautiful virgin is not...

Bilix

I don't see a problem with a guy rejecting a girl because she rejected him years ago

That's not the problem.

The problem is the off-the-charts level of pretentiousness in that ridiculous piece.

I'm sick of this moaning "I'm a nice guy why does the woman always pick the bad guy crap"
I'm a nice guy, I have had major relationships and I'm in a great one now.
I have never seen me being nice as a block to getting women I've spoken to over the years.
If you are not getting girls and think you are a nice guy then the newsflash is that there us something about yourself that you need to change. The desperate route never works and being clingy and needy is a turn off as well.
Guy has serious issues of superiority. I reckon in his 40s he will still be alone, blaming the girl for rejection so long ago. He needs to grow up and man up.

monome

That's not the problem.

The problem is the off-the-charts level of pretentiousness in that ridiculous piece.

which is either satirical or just so heartfelt that the words go beyond the dimensional limits of the known Universe and point to the sub-nth level the exact point at which Nature stops being a thing and becomes an idea, and vice-versa.

I read too much Morrison's comics...

sikma42

Banned
hummm...

do you realize we, GAF, would rather read about your dreams and help shape (in some very humble internet manner) them than reading you don't want your GF to be an ex-con who is HIV positive?!

or more on topic, if you yourself actually had disppointements like in the OP, or what are the pbs you face these days when meeting (not meeting?) girls.

That you think many girls are boring or not your cup of tea or else in understandable.

Your tirade about having earned a smart and beautifull virgin by being a smart and beautiful virgin is not...
I'll admit i didn't have quite the disappointments mentioned in the OP. He sounds pathetic, but I understand the underlying sentiment.

hmm....interesting summation of this thread. not once did i say i required a beautiful women or a virgin. i understand hyperbole but i never mentioned beauty art all. Being with a virgin is not attractive to me at all.

smart ass. You didn't need to write this stupid essay, but you did anyway.
Good fucking job, I just hope you are not a prick as I see you now.

monome

I'll admit i didn't have quite the disappointments mentioned in the OP. He sounds pathetic, but I understand the underlying sentiment.

hmm....interesting summation of this thread. not once did i say i required a beautiful women or a virgin. i understand hyperbole but i never mentioned beauty art all. Being with a virgin is not attractive to me at all.

Hyperbole and all, let's stop at that.

as far as the underying sentiment goes...that story is an ages-old cliché.

of girls losing their luster, and boys harnessing their power.
It's a concept/idea that is worthy of the Dark Ages but will always exist since it's based on the repeat cycle that sees women engaging in sentimental/existential trials a tad sooner than boys.

SRG01

Everyone has their preferences. Whether those preferences are practical and realistic is another thing altogether.

Dai101

Banned

Women says:

I don't want to date a player.

I don't want to date someone without their career together.

I don't want to date someone younger than me. Its just my preference.

Neogaf says:

Yea, you have a right to your preferences.

Yea, women are attracted to success, nothing wrong with that.

Women are attracted to who they are attracted too.

Guys says something similar:

*see this thread*

*pls respond*

okdakor

Honestly, I exaggerated the age range. I would go up to 31. I would date 25-31. 30 is just a round number. That is what I would seek out with a stronger preference for someone my age or slightly younger.

Why ?
When I met my wife, she was 31 and I was 26... This "huge" difference didn't matter at all.
I knew a guy with "plans", when he was 28 his goal was to find THE girl, because he wanted to be married at 30 and then he wanted to have his first child at 31. Didn't work. Try to be a little more spontaneous in your relationships, it helps, I promise.

Mesoian

Why ?
When I met my wife, she was 31 and I was 26... This "huge" difference didn't matter at all.
I knew a guy with "plans", when he was 28 his goal was to find THE girl, because he wanted to be married at 30 and then he wanted to have his first child at 31. Didn't work. Try to be a little more spontaneous in your relationships, it helps, I promise.

Half your age + 7.

See, there's this small issue that "nice guys" don't seem to understand.

Basically, from my perspective (as a women) the reason why some of us go out with these idiot, self absorbed, assholes is because they are fun. Women are full of emotions and sometimes these men pull out the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's exciting and an experience that we want to tell. I'm not trying to down guys who are nice but the problem is, guys who tend to be like that want to settle down and be sweet all the time. It's boring. Sorry, some women don't want to experience that yet. Of course there are girls out there who generally do want "do right by my side" kind of guy. However some just want our estrogen levels tampered with.

Girls like men with drama, and as much as some will say they don't, they are only half lying. Some women love the pain, love the arguing , the cheating just to have the excuse to be spiteful. We love to talk about it, we love to obsess over it. Shit, this is how some of us meet new friends and create sisterhoods. "Nice guys" unfortunately, do not come with those traits (which isn't a bad thing), but when your young and dumb, you don't want that. You want to explore and have stories to tell your girlfriends and your kids. Guys do the same thing, albeit not exactly the way that girls do it, but they want to get the most out of their experiences too. Some guys will say they love crazy girls and are pretty much only attracted to them, this sometimes is why.

It really is nothing personal. The reason why women finally wants that sweet guy towards the end is because at some point, women get maternal and want to settle down. They have already passed the "been there done that" stage and now want to be moms and have a guy who will do right by them. We just get tired of the bs. It was fun, but now its not. We all understand at some point that idiot guys will probably be lonely for the rest of their lives because we mature past that time. We understand, sometimes, that there was a time and a place.

The OP is a guy who had it all in reverse. He wanted something she didn't want and now while she's ready to rest her feet, he's getting started. Instead of him recognizing that it's what she wanted when she met him, instead he degrades her for doing exactly what he's doing now. It's pretty tasteless to be frank. If your a guy who wants to treat a women the way she deserves to be treated, there are tons of girls who want that. I just can't see why girls must take flak for wanting what we want at the moment that doesn't come within the general package of the "nice guy".

Disclaimer: I don't want to blanket the issue but just give sort of an insight to why some women do what they do. There are always more sides of the story.

This all rings true in my experience.

Dennis

Banned

I don't have a problem with it either.

The issue is more that the guy seems to be extremely bitter and salty about all girls now.

Though I imagine it is all satire anyway.

agrajag

Banned
I don't have a problem with it either.

The issue is more that the guy seems to be extremely bitter and salty about all girls now.

Though I imagine it is all satire anyway.

it's probably just feel-good fiction for the fedora-wearer. Kinda like people vicariously live through Drake and Lil Wayne songs and imagine themselves driving Bentleys and dropping stacks in the strip club, the fedora-wearing nerds live vicariously through such stories. The used-up sluts finally get their comeuppance and the our fedora-clad hero triumphs against all odds.

jasonng

See, there's this small issue that "nice guys" don't seem to understand.

Basically, from my perspective (as a women) the reason why some of us go out with these idiot, self absorbed, assholes is because they are fun. Women are full of emotions and sometimes these men pull out the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's exciting and an experience that we want to tell. I'm not trying to down guys who are nice but the problem is, guys who tend to be like that want to settle down and be sweet all the time. It's boring. Sorry, some women don't want to experience that yet. Of course there are girls out there who generally do want "do right by my side" kind of guy. However some just want our estrogen levels tampered with.

Girls like men with drama, and as much as some will say they don't, they are only half lying. Some women love the pain, love the arguing , the cheating just to have the excuse to be spiteful. We love to talk about it, we love to obsess over it. Shit, this is how some of us meet new friends and create sisterhoods. "Nice guys" unfortunately, do not come with those traits (which isn't a bad thing), but when your young and dumb, you don't want that. You want to explore and have stories to tell your girlfriends and your kids. Guys do the same thing, albeit not exactly the way that girls do it, but they want to get the most out of their experiences too. Some guys will say they love crazy girls and are pretty much only attracted to them, this sometimes is why.

It really is nothing personal. The reason why women finally wants that sweet guy towards the end is because at some point, women get maternal and want to settle down. They have already passed the "been there done that" stage and now want to be moms and have a guy who will do right by them. We just get tired of the bs. It was fun, but now its not. We all understand at some point that idiot guys will probably be lonely for the rest of their lives because we mature past that time. We understand, sometimes, that there was a time and a place.

The OP is a guy who had it all in reverse. He wanted something she didn't want and now while she's ready to rest her feet, he's getting started. Instead of him recognizing that it's what she wanted when she met him, instead he degrades her for doing exactly what he's doing now. It's pretty tasteless to be frank. If your a guy who wants to treat a women the way she deserves to be treated, there are tons of girls who want that. I just can't see why girls must take flak for wanting what we want at the moment that doesn't come within the general package of the "nice guy".

Disclaimer: I don't want to blanket the issue but just give sort of an insight to why some women do what they do. There are always more sides of the story.
This is garbage.

I'm so tired of people painting men one of only two colors. It's always either they're a nice guy or an asshole. What I don't get is why threads like these devolve into criticizing one or the other when either label cannot define all of one gender. Yes, you can find a gentlemen with drama. Yes you can find a stable guy who treats you like shit. There is a middle ground that always get ignored.

Generally speaking I don't believe girls actively pursue someone because he is an asshole. They're attractive to the traits you mentioned but that doesn't make them assholes. If they are shit heads then that's just another trait.

APF

Having rules or guidelines about who you allow yourself to consider dating is so incredibly short-sighted and dumb. The idea that you'd disregard someone who you'd really connect with because she's "too old" or has had too many partners in the past is about the silliest thing I've ever heard.

royalan

Yea, although there is difference between enjoying sex and not respecting your body. Sorry I don't want some women who has been ran through by 100 men...25 of whom she can't remember their names. Oh and yes, at 30 if you don't have your life together then I don't want anything to do with you. I'm not trying to subsidize some women who didn't have the foresight to make good decisions. The game has changed and you can find some other dude that is a better match.

I think we found the author of the article.

There's a lot of vindictive posts in this thread. I think its coming from people who are frustrated persuing a relationship that is not reciprocated. Rather than ranting on and on about what that girl (or girls in general) should be interested in, 'nice guys' should focus more on finding girls that actually interested in him. Let those girls persue their own interests for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom