• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Convention tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HalfPastNoon said:
Don't believe so. Not since the Republican convention of 1948 and the Democratic convention of 1952 have the conventions determined who would be the party nominee. It's all been party primaries since then...

In 1956, the democratic presidential candidate left the choice of VP to the delegates.
Yeah, nominees used to be chosen solely by party officials. The whole concept of voting for a nominee is relatively recent.

CNN is now replaying the the dem conv again in the west coast (maybe east too dunno).

Clinton speech will be back up in an hour or so. Tune in people!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just turned on the TV. It's replaying on the east coast as well. I think Bill Clinton speaks... an hour and half after Carter(who is speaking as I post this).. not sure though.

Drensch

Dude, you've been on your knees salivating since before primaries-- who are you kidding? There's no restraint in Drensch-land.

Huh? Clinton was rarely referenced at all during the primaries.

Hitokage said:
Just turned on the TV. It's replaying on the east coast as well. I think Bill Clinton speaks... an hour and half after Carter(who is speaking as I post this).. not sure though.

Hillary will introduce Bill at Midnight in the west coast. Half an hour left to start the recording!

Oh yeah, she talked for a while. I'll just record the whole thing. Billy Boy made me tear up the first time. Good stuff. *sniff*

Yeah but you'd think that the delivery is everything for a politician..... GW is not even a good politician at the end of the day.

fart

Savant
well, that's basically true, but seriously, what are you going to do? a slick politician is as menacing to some people as a developmentally retarded one. in the immortal words of kang:

Kang: It's true! We are aliens! But what are you going to do about it? It's a two party system! You have to vote for one of us!
Man in Crowd: Well, I'm just going to vote for a third party!
Kang: Go ahead! Throw your vote away!! HA HA HA HA!!!

Ferrio

Banned
fart said:
well, that's basically true, but seriously, what are you going to do? a slick politician is as menacing to some people as a developmentally retarded one. in the immortal words of krang:

votekrang.jpg

Socreges

Banned
fart said:
the sad truth is that it's much of the same rhetoric, only the delivery is different.
It may have had the same type of message and content, but Clinton's rhetoric was far superior. The themes were eloquently laid out. The order was flawless. The transitions were seemless. It was an exceptionally intelligent speech, despite the fact that you've probably heard it all before.

One of the more easily explained distinctions I can think of is how they use repetition. Bush uses it in place of compelling speech; to drive points home. Instead, Clinton uses repetition for recurring themes and supplementary to subsequent points. Much more stimulating.

Kerry's just lucky Clinton's on his side. Though I'd guess that very few votes will be affected by the speech or even the Convention.

Drensch

I know, I was just poking fun at your demmish leanings.

They got real demmish after the last 4 years. This will be the first time(not counting the primary) I've voted Dem in 2 elections. Not that I voted republican before.

Gruco said:
Did Kucinich actually ever say what his DoP would do, beyond the current State department, btw?
http://www.kucinich.us/issues/departmentpeace.php
The Department of Defense now requires in excess of $400 billion for its activities. A Department of Peace can be an effective counterbalance, redirecting our national energies towards nonviolent intervention, mediation, and conflict resolution on all matters of human security.

A Department of Peace can look at the domestic issues that our society faces and often ignores as we focus on matters internationally. We have a problem with violence in our own society, and we need to look at it and address it in a structured way. Domestically, the Department of Peace would address violence in the home, spousal abuse, child abuse, gangs, police-community relations conflicts and work with individuals and groups to achieve changes in attitudes that examine the mythologies of cherished world views, such as "violence is inevitable" or "war is inevitable." Thus, it will help with the discovery of new selves and new paths toward peaceful consensus.

The Department of Peace will also address human development and the unique concerns of women and children. It will envision and seek to implement plans for peace education, not simply as a course of study, but as a template for all pursuits of knowledge within formal educational settings.

I can understand when some web sites would prefer to be stingy with their files... but what do NPR and C-SPAN have to gain by forcing me to stream instead of download? Even more baffling is why the official site run by the Democratic Party wouldn't want to make it as easy to grab in any way as possible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Meier said:
She just said good environmental policy is good economics. Someone explain that to me.
Having not seen the speech, I'll take a stab at it. An economy, no matter how you slice it, is a system to distribute resources... and environmental policy involves resource management, or in other words, making sure we still have resources around to distribute. ;)

Obama delivered as I knew he would. The democrats would do well to keep him in the public eye up until election time. Hell, he was up by 25 points here before Ryan dropped out so he might as well help out across the country.

Gruco

Banned
Meier said:
She just said good environmental policy is good economics. Someone explain that to me.
Pollution is the quintessinal example of negative economic externality.

Pretty simple.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
In the long run, it is better to make sure things are done as environmentally soundly as practicable because the cleanup costs/loss of property value for pollution damage are usually astronomical (e.g. Superfund cleanup).

Triumph

Banned
The only speech that I've been overly impressed with was Obama's. If that man is the future of the Party, maybe the Dems won't be in such bad hands after all. MAYBE.

Gruco

Banned
It was after Dean.

Who sucked, incidentally.

Random question - Who are other potentially big democrats to keep an eye on? Gavin Newsome I guess has already made some big waves. Newsweek just had an article talking about him and the South Dakota House Rep. and the governor of VA. It's kinda nice to get the sense that the party seems to be having more capable hands for the future.....

Drensch

I don't like how Obama is constantly referred to as African American(not in the sense that he is part african obviously). He does have a white mother. They should be calling him biracial or something. It's kind of denying his whole heritage just to "Lousiana" his race.

Socreges

Banned
OBAMA 2012!!

That was an amazing speech. I didn't even mind all the glorification of America because I could tell he so strongly believed in it. Politics, in every country, needs more people like him. It's not just youth and charisma. It's passion. THAT'S the type of person that can get the 18-32 demographic out and voting.

But this was a little much-

Barak Obama: "And that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible."

That immediately reminded me of The Simpsons joke from that speech contest: "Only in America.. and possibly Canada..." :)

dorio

Banned
Drensch said:
I don't like how Obama is constantly referred to as African American(not in the sense that he is part african obviously). He does have a white mother. They should be calling him biracial or something. It's kind of denying his whole heritage just to "Lousiana" his race.
How about African with a white mother American. Who cares? If there is any black in you in this country, you're considered black.

dorio

Banned
Socreges said:
OBAMA 2012!!

That was an amazing speech. I didn't even mind all the glorification of America because I could tell he so strongly believed in it. Politics, in every country, needs more people like him. It's not just youth and charisma. It's passion. THAT'S the type of person that can get the 18-32 demographic out and voting.

But this was a little much-

Barak Obama: "And that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible."

That immediately reminded me of The Simpsons joke from that speech contest: "Only in America.. and possibly Canada..." :)
and maybe Canada just doesn't flow very well.

Drensch said:

Heh, most of the articles I have read refer to Obama as being "black" instead. Actually, in pretty much all the articles, they also mention that he's mixed. Maybe this has to do with how many blacks in America are of mixed heritage, but they are still considered black. IIRC, one of the articles mentioned how he related to the black culture growing up and today, and maybe that's how it stuck.

Socreges

Banned
and maybe Canada just doesn't flow very well.
Well, obviously. That's what made The Simpsons line even funnier.

It's a compelling statement. Embedded with pride. But.. well, not true. That's all.
How about African with a white mother American. Who cares? If there is any black in you in this country, you're considered black.
That's the case with pretty much all distinct minorities. Like you said, "who cares?" Though maybe white people feel cheated because they're not getting due credit for his greatness. ;)

Belfast

Yes, Obama was great. I can't believe there's already buzz on a future presicential run for him (this is not to say that he, himself, has said he wanted to, but a lot of commentators and talking heads seem to agree that the potential in maybe 8 years or so, is there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom