• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Convention tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama's speech fucking owned.
Dean was kinda blah.
Reagan was boring, but made a good point.
Kennedy's speech was awful. "The only thing we have to fear is four more years of George W. Bush?" I can easily imagine Bush ads using that quote - and quite effectively.

r1801048734.jpg

Now THAT's some political debate.

Meier

Yeah, CNN's analysts werent very favorable of his speech. I thought it was pretty rousing though even if it wasn't on target.

fart

Savant
the reaction to sharpton's speech really highlights the difference between the electorate and the populace

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Edwards is great speaker. He's got them eating out the palm of his hand. He's good enough to be president in 8 years. If they lose, he should run in '08. Last time I voted for Nader, this time I'm voting for....MYSELF.

Socreges

Banned
Is the Democratic party fairly Christian or do they only espouse some religious conviction in order to attract voters strong in "faith"? I find that interesting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Socreges said:
Is the Democratic party fairly Christian or do they only espouse some religious conviction in order to attract voters strong in "faith"? I find that interesting.
There are a lot of highly religious democrats, but they use their religious conviction differently than Republicans. :p

I don't mean to sound "off-topic" (no pun intended) but John Kerry (That Pepsi-Loving Liberal) has one hell of an arm. On that note I would think to not even vote for him, but then I remember back to his safty-first bike ride, this guy knows his stuff. "Elizabeth? That's the name of my running mates wife."

Loki

Count of Concision
jobber said:
Edwards is great speaker. He's got them eating out the palm of his hand. He's good enough to be president in 8 years. If they lose, he should run in '08. Last time I voted for Nader, this time I'm voting for....MYSELF.

He's a scheming trial lawyer-- his job is to be persuasive and silver-tongued. As for his prospective candidacy in 2008, well, God help us if a freaking trial lawyer is ever president of this country. Then again, many, many politicians are lawyers by trade, so I suppose the damage is already done. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Loki said:
He's a scheming trial lawyer-- his job is to be persuasive and silver-tongued. As for his prospective candidacy in 2008, well, God help us if a freaking trial lawyer is ever president of this country. Then again, many, many politicians are lawyers by trade, so I suppose the damage is already done. :p
Yet he also seems to make corporate america shudder in fear... which can't be all bad. ;)

Loki

Count of Concision
Hitokage said:
Yet he also seems to make corporate america shudder in fear... which can't be all bad. ;)

Trial lawyers and corporations are equally loathsome, so I guess it's a wash in this instance. :p

Triumph

Banned
Nah, corporations are more loathesome than trial lawyers. And I'm an expert on loathing and loathsomeness. Trust me on this one, bubba.

Loki

Count of Concision
Raoul Duke said:
Nah, corporations are more loathesome than trial lawyers. And I'm an expert on loathing and loathsomeness. Trust me on this one, bubba.

Perhaps, but not by much. And I prefer to do my own thinking, thank you. Bubba. ;) :p

Triumph

Banned
Loki said:
Perhaps, but not by much. And I prefer to do my own thinking, thank you. Bubba. ;) :p
:p
If corporations weren't so loathesome... then maybe trial lawyers wouldn't be so succesful, eh? Chicken or the egg, huh bubba?

Loki

Count of Concision
Raoul Duke said:
:p
If corporations weren't so loathesome... then maybe trial lawyers wouldn't be so succesful, eh? Chicken or the egg, huh bubba?

More like, "if juries weren't so suggestible and overly emotional, perhaps trial lawyers wouldn't be so successful". :p

Further, Edwards was a medical malpractice lawyer who made millions on junk science regarding cerebral palsy and baby deliveries; as a result, nearly 30% of all new births in the US which are overseen by a physician now include a caesarean section, even when it's not necessary, because physicians have to watch their asses due to charlatans like Edwards, who argued-- contrary to all the scientific evidence-- that live births were what caused the CP, and that a caesarean should have been performed. Well, he got his wish: nearly 30% of all births are now done via caesarean (which is a very intrusive and harmful procedure as compared to natural birth). The results? No decrease in the incidence of CP, which has long been understood to be a purely congenital disorder. Science, not trial lawyers, was vindicated.

As a result of such frivolous and excessive cases, malpractice insurance for ob/gyns now hovers at around $100-120k/year. Think about that. Also, nearly a dozen states are considered "crisis states", where physicians (most prominently ob/gyns) are fleeing the states or eliminating obstetrics from their practices altogether. For example, Philadelphia, where the situation is rapidly devolving:

Philly in ob/gyn crisis

And I know you're not going to argue that physicians are loathsome (particularly ones who were following proper protocol), because I have stats to back up the fact that the vast majority of such cases are frivolous (85% of suits which go to court are decided in favor of the physician/hospital; independent professional arbitration panels composed of physicians, judges, and lawyers have concluded that upwards of 70% of cases brought are nonmeritorious- i.e., no neglect or deviation from proper standard care can be shown). Unfortunately, these panels have no say in the matter unless there was prior consent for arbitration in the event of a complication, as opposed to availing oneself of a trial by jury.

Unscrupulous attorneys know this, and work the system for every dollar. So, as you can see, one has nothing to do with the other (loathsome corps. vs. loathsome trial lawyers); though I do not deny the heinousness of much of current corporate praxis, lawyers simply are what they are-- loathsome all by their lonesome (hey, that rhymed :p). They will manipulate any system or situation to their advantage, even when no fault is to be had. So it's not a question of the "chicken and the egg" as you posit-- corporate excesses are bad independently, and trial lawyers (not all, but far too many) are also bad independently.

I didn't mean to get into such a digression from the topic, but I just wanted to show you why your point doesn't hold. :p

Triumph

Banned
My point was made in jest. I have long held to the belief that when the Revolution comes, that "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". Of course, I don't suppose that you're trying to imply that we should just GET RID OF all the trial lawyers, are you? Since the current political climate has pretty much given corporations carte blanche to do whatever they want, trial lawyers are sadly NEEDED to curb the excesses of the the Enrons, Arthur Andersons and Neil Bushes of the world. These are people/companies that have ruined HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of lives, and that should under no circumstances go unpunished. If there were TRUE justice in the world, Kenneth Lay would be chained to Scott Peterson and they would be forced to march through America, pelted with offal and ridiculed by the populace.

Er... but now I have branched off my intended point. I guess what I was trying to say, is that if corporations/American law weren't so fucked, then trial lawyers wouldn't be able to pull the kind of loathesome shit that they do on a regular basis. But in all honesty, knowing what I do about Edwards and Cheney, if you were to ask me which I would rather have as veep, well there's no thought required. My answer is Edwards 1000 times out of 1000.

Loki

Count of Concision
Raoul Duke said:
My point was made in jest. I have long held to the belief that when the Revolution comes, that "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". Of course, I don't suppose that you're trying to imply that we should just GET RID OF all the trial lawyers, are you? Since the current political climate has pretty much given corporations carte blanche to do whatever they want, trial lawyers are sadly NEEDED to curb the excesses of the the Enrons, Arthur Andersons and Neil Bushes of the world. These are people/companies that have ruined HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of lives, and that should under no circumstances go unpunished. If there were TRUE justice in the world, Kenneth Lay would be chained to Scott Peterson and they would be forced to march through America, pelted with offal and ridiculed by the populace.

Er... but now I have branched off my intended point. I guess what I was trying to say, is that if corporations/American law weren't so fucked, then trial lawyers wouldn't be able to pull the kind of loathesome shit that they do on a regular basis. But in all honesty, knowing what I do about Edwards and Cheney, if you were to ask me which I would rather have as veep, well there's no thought required. My answer is Edwards 1000 times out of 1000.

I realize it was made in jest, but I figured that perhaps there was a kernel of true belief somewhere in there, and so I desired to snuff it out with reckless disregard. ;)

Obviously I'm not advocating dumping all the trial lawyers into the Marianis Trench (though I seem to reflexively salivate at the notion at times ;)), as they do provide an indispensable service which acts as a check on corporate and institutional excess. I just feel that they overstep their bounds far too frequently.

And yeah, I hear ya about Cheney, but with Cheney/Edwards, it's like choosing between Mephistopheles and Beelzebub. :p

Drensch

Trial Layer(e.g John Edwards)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Corporate Lawyer (e.g. Ken Starr)

Gruco

Banned
Loki said:
And I know you're not going to argue that physicians are loathsome (particularly ones who were following proper protocol), because I have stats to back up the fact that the vast majority of such cases are frivolous
Do you have stats to back up the fact that Edwards specifically is responsible for junk science and frivilous cases.

Just curious as every criticim I've heard of Edwards is in the general "trial lawyers are ruining everything" sense, rather than the "look at this case where he clearly went to far" sense.

Furthermore, I have heard the "physicians are loathsame" (not literallly, but, well, you know...) argument as well, which essentially argues that a lack of adequate information regarding a doctor's, malpractice history allows bad doctors to continue praticing, driving up premiums.

I don't know too much about this stuff (just the good ol' soundbytes!) but I'm guessing the problem is somewhere in the middle, in that some trial lawyers go too far as a check on the system, and some doctors are just shitty and drive up rates....and then there's the insurance companies, who are still charging the same rates after statewide damage caps.

Um, as for the convention itself, I think there's a really strong message there when you combine Cliton's, Obama's, and Edward's messages, the really reallly ridiculously short version saying "Many Americans shame the same ideals of hope and opportunity and have many smilarities in character and value. But despite this, the system does not yet provide the same opportunity to all americans. Our policies can bridge that gap." I dunno how intentional this was, but I'm hoping Kerry can really drive home the point tonight.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DJ_Tet said:
I thank my trial lawyer everytime I go to McD's and can't order a supersize.
That case got thrown out, IIRC, but I do know that if they did pull the supersize, it was on their own*. :p

*Remembering reading news stories... not certain when or where.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DJ_Tet said:
I thank my trial lawyer everytime I go to McD's and can't order a supersize.

I thank my trial lawyer every time some kid gets his fucking arm chopped off by faulty equipment and the insurance company and manufacturer refuse to take responsibility. What a bunch of douchebags, man, don't they realize corporations have it so hard already?

Loki

Count of Concision
Gruco said:
Do you have stats to back up the fact that Edwards specifically is responsible for junk science and frivilous cases.

Sure, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow. However, the cases I spoke of above, about the cerebral palsy, are undeniably true-- there was NO negligence involved, and an independent panel composed of physicians, judges and lawyers found as much. Still, he preyed on the frenzied emotionalism of the jury, which must believe that every time some bad outcome occurs, somebody must be at fault. It wasn't one suit he brought (or at least not on behalf of one plaintiff)-- he argued for the systematic effect of live births on incidence of CP when a caesarean could have been performed instead (even though it was not medically indicated). As a result, now nearly 30% of new births are caesarean's in order cover the doctor's ass (I mistakenly placed this at nearly 70% for some reason- didn't mean to be alarmist, and I've edited it; still, 30% is an extreme # and respresents a manifold increase over what the rate was before his cases), and the incidence of CP has not decreased in the slightest, reflecting medical wisdom, not trial lawyer "I want me my 40%" wisdom. :p

I'll dig up the facts tomorrow-- I have a very busy day ahead of me. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For six years now, Republicans have tried to minimize and demonize John Edwards as the worst kind of societal parasite: a personal-injury lawyer. North Carolina Sen. Lauch Faircloth ran anti-lawyer TV spots when Edwards ran against him in 1998. When Edwards began pondering a presidential campaign, then-White House spokesman Ari Fleischer was quoted as saying, "Bring on the ambulance chaser."

On a summer evening in 1993, David Lakey took his little girl swimming at a recreation center in Raleigh, N.C. Valerie Lakey was 5 years old, a good swimmer, and she and her friends liked to splash around in the children's wading pool that stayed open a little later than the big pool where they usually swam.

That's what Valerie was doing when a nearby mom heard her call out for help. Valerie was sitting on the bottom of the shallow pool, and the suction from the drain was holding her down. David Lakey raced to free his daughter but couldn't. Other parents jumped in the water to help, but they couldn't get Valerie loose. Valerie was scared, and she began to say that her stomach hurt.

Time passed, and somebody figured out how to turn off the pool's pump. The suction broke, and Valerie was released from its grip. But as David Lakey pulled his daughter from the water, blood and tissue filled the pool. Valerie's intestines had been sucked out.

David Lakey slumped to the ground on the side of the pool. He held his daughter on his chest, praying as they waited for an ambulance. Over and over, he told Valerie, "Daddy loves you. Daddy loves you. Daddy loves you."

Edwards represented Valerie in a lawsuit against the company that made the drain cover in that swimming pool. A jury awarded her $25 million, compensation for a life of intravenous feedings and colostomy bags.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/07/13/lawyers/index.html

story.jpg

Man, what an asshole. Do you realize how much money that corporation's stockholders lost just because of some girl and John Edwards' zealous advocacy? Truly despicable.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
So seriously, what sort of career would make one 'suitable' to be a president? Being involved in an oil company? I mean geez.

element

I just watched the Barack Obama speech and it was amazing. Truely amazing to see a STATE senator have such command.

like someone said above, it was like watching history.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Of course, even though Obama's speech was great, it really comes down to whether or not such speeches pan out into actions. If he's willing and able to put the same amount of energy into his work as his presentation, then yes, we might indeed have seen history.

Loki said:

are you for real? i guess i shouldnt bring up the fact that abe lincoln was a lawyer too?

Loki loves to just harp on the negative aspects of Edward's and the fact that he was a trial lawyer, seemingly oblvious to all the great deeds he's done for families and victims.

"OH NO. A TRIAL LAWYER -- THE SPAWN OF SATAN!! NO, HELPING A FAMILY AGAINST GIANT CORPORATIONS IS WRONG!!!!!"

He never stops. It's old. Loki seems to hate anyone who makes more money than him.

DJ_Tet said:
If trial lawyer is such an honorable profession, why is Edwards referred to as "Son of a mill worker?"

Uh, maybe because he IS, and that fact relates to a lot of lower-middle class families?

DJ_Tet said:
If trial lawyer is such an honorable profession, why is Edwards referred to as "Son of a mill worker?"
Politics. Being a trial lawyer isn't inherently bad, but definitely more people believe it is inherently bad than would believe the same about coming from common roots or some other happy thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom