• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Convention tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MSW said:
Lt. Governor is hardly a position requiring executive leadership Hito.

The only positions Bush has changed have to do directly because of 9/11.

Did he waffle on patient's rights directly because of 9/11?

In a televised presidential debate on Oct. 17, 2000, candidate Bush said, "If I’m the president … people will be able to take their HMO insurance company to court," adding that while he was governor of Texas, "We’re one of the first states that said you can sue an HMO for denying you proper coverage."

But on Tuesday, the Bush administration argued before the U.S. Supreme Court that the same Texas law touted by candidate Bush is invalid because it is pre-empted by a federal law. This is the opposite of what then-Gov. Bush’s Texas Department of Insurance argued in a lower court in 1997.

Among Bush campaign Pioneers (bundlers of $100,000 or more in contributions) are seven former or current HMO executives: UnitedHealth Group CEO William McGuire; former Health Net Chairman Dr. Malik Hasan; Anthem Inc. Chairman L. Ben Lytle; Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida lobbyist Michael R. Hightower; WellCare’s CEO Todd S. Farha and finance director David Hart; and AmeriGroup chairman and CEO Jeffrey L. McWaters.

Astro - Links please.

Oh yeah, I also need some links on Bush's health care plan - specifically costs and the like. I remember, there was some pretty horrifying stuff which came out about his plan that no one in the media really picked up on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lt. Governor is hardly a position requiring executive leadership Hito.
Oh, so now it's "executive leadership" instead of "executive experience". :p

The only positions Bush has changed have to do directly because of 9/11.
Not true. Unless breaking campaign promises on environmental policy in the first 100 days or initially stonewalling the 9/11 commission aren''t considered changing positions.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Now if you think the President has much to do with the economy then you really don’t know much about economics. In reality the President can do little to help the economy. The only thing the President can do, and even this doesn’t help very much, is infuse more capital into the economy thus, attempting to grow it. Bush did just that and look at the economy, it’s growing. I also love how you conveniently omit the devastation 9/11 had on the economy and the fact that it already had 2 quarters of negative growth before he took office. I guess in JC world everything is Bush’s fault.
He was talking about the federal budget, not the economy.

Really, enough with the hand waving.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Did he waffle on patient's rights directly because of 9/11?

Judging by your links it looks like there was a federal law that preemtpted the state one and the Supreme Court agreed 9-0.

Cooter

He was talking about the federal budget, not the economy.

I do agree spending was out of control Hito but the reason we have a deficit is because of the war on terror and the recession we just came out of.

Oh, so now it's "executive leadership" instead of "executive experience".

It's both but it is well known that Lt. Gov's in any state don't have much responsibility.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MSW said:
Judging by your links it looks like there was a federal law that preemtpted the state one and the Supreme Court agreed 9-0.

Way to read and understand the whole article, super-scholar.

How about I just break it down into nice, simple quotes for you:

In 2000, candidate George W. Bush told the nation in a debate with Al Gore that "If I'm the president . . . people will be able to take their HMO insurance company to court. That's what I've done in Texas, and that's the kind of leadership style I'll bring to Washington."

It turns out, though, that what Bush did in Texas was undone by the Supreme Court, in part with the support of his own Justice Department. If Bush really believes what he said in 2000, then now is the time for him to speak out, and to promise every American that ERISA will be amended to guarantee that every health insurer plays fair, and if they don't, then those injured will get full and complete compensation--just as they were promised in Texas.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The prominence of health insurance industry executives among Bush campaign bundlers suggests that special interests played a part in President Bush’s flip-flop on patients’ rights to sue HMOs, Public Citizen charged today.

In a televised presidential debate on Oct. 17, 2000, candidate Bush said, "If I’m the president … people will be able to take their HMO insurance company to court," adding that while he was governor of Texas, "We’re one of the first states that said you can sue an HMO for denying you proper coverage."

But on Tuesday, the Bush administration argued before the U.S. Supreme Court that the same Texas law touted by candidate Bush is invalid because it is pre-empted by a federal law. This is the opposite of what then-Gov. Bush’s Texas Department of Insurance argued in a lower court in 1997.

In the current Supreme Court case, the Bush administration joined the insurance industry in arguing that the Texas law is completely pre-empted by federal law. The case involves the rights of patients who suffered severe medical complications when their HMOs decided that treatments recommended by their physicians were not medically necessary.

The Bush administration, once on the side of patients (in fact he touted it as a shining example of his compassionate conservatism), now joined the side of the HMOs arguing basically the exact opposite of what he argued before.

Oh wait, let me guess, it was just misinformation.

Cooter

Is that not an overview of the articles? I don't have time to read the entire article, I just skimmed them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I do agree spending was out of control Hito but the reason we have a deficit is because of the war on terror and the recession we just came out of.
Wrong. He also slashed the government's tax revenue, then started leeching off of the social security surplus just to make the numbers look SOMEWHAT bearable. And he's always been pushing tax cut, tax cut, tax cut. Surplus in the budget? Bush wanted to cut taxes. 9/11? Bush wanted to cut taxes. Recession? Bush wanted to cut taxes... and yet even though keynesian deficit spending is something that's normal for a recession, Bush has made it abundantly clear that his cuts are NOT keynesian. He wants them PERMANENT.

Of course, you could go along with Dick Cheney, who said, "Reagan proved deficits don't matter", but then you'd have to ignore the blatant lie Bush recently made in a campaign speech: "We’re going to continue to bring fiscal discipline to Washington, DC."

Cooter

Lower taxes provide a stronger economy which inturn will increase revenues to the federal government. Reagan doubled revenues in the 80's but they irresponsibly spent it all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MSW said:
Lower taxes provide a stronger economy which inturn will increase revenues to the federal government. Reagan doubled revenues in the 80's but they irresponsibly spent it all.
Doubled? I'd like to see proof of that... oh, and as for "they"... Reagan's budgets were passed with little change, and then of course is the fact he actually raised taxes a couple times... not to mention the huge amount of money spent on defense...

Cooter

http://www.house.gov/jec/fiscal/tx-grwth/reagtxct/reagtxct.htm

By they I mean Reagan and congress.

In real dollars revenues doubled.

Total federal revenues doubled from just over $517 billion in 1980 to more than $1 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was a 28 percent increase in revenue.

Federal spending more than doubled, growing from almost $591 billion in 1980 to $1.25 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was an increase of 35.8 percent

Here you see that cutting taxes shifted more of the burden to the rich people.

·
For the top 1 percent of taxpayers, from 12.9 percent in 1980 to 15.4 percent in 1989;

For the top 5 percent of taxpayers, from 27.3 percent in 1980 to 30.4 percent in 1989;

For the top 20 percent of taxpayers, from 56.1 percent in 1980 to 58.6 percent in 1989.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Two words: Payroll taxes.

Oh, and 1980-1989 isn't a good way to see how the Reagan tax cuts affected revenue, since income tax rates didn't only go down under his watch. Rather, the numbers for each year are needed.

Cooter

Two words: Payroll taxes

On the other hand, the share of total federal taxes, if one includes the Social Security payroll tax, declined for four groups:

-For the second-highest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 22.2 percent in 1980 to 20.8 percent in 1989;

-For the middle 20 percent of taxpayers, from 13.2 percent in 1980 to 12.5 percent in 1989;

-For the second-lowest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 6.9 percent in 1980 to 6.4 percent in 1989

-For the lowest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 1.6 percent in 1980 to 1.5 percent in 1989

Coming from a Texan, our state government does basically shit. The state constitution was written right after we kicked out the carpertbaggers after reconstruction, and it was designed from fear during that period, moslty a strong state government, especially the governor. Half of the executive branch is elected, and its a widely held belief that the lieutenat governor actually has more power because he heads senate commitees and selects the committees.. Trust me on this one, being governor of texas is a pretty sweet deal if you can get it. All the governor can really do is veto legislature, and pick judges if a post is vacant between elections.

I am much more impressed with a US Senator then with a Texas Governor

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Some Congressional Budget Office tables I found...

Code:
Combined federal and payroll tax rates (1993 dollars):
---------Avg. Income   Total Tax Rate    % Change,    $ Change, 
Quintile     1989        1980      1989    1989 taxes   1989 taxes 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
First 20%    $8,642       8.1%     9.3%     +15.1%      +$104 
Second 20%   20,743      15.6     15.7       +0.6         +21 
Third 20%    33,659      19.8     19.4       -2.0        -135 
Fourth 20%   49,347      22.9     22.0       -7.6        -444 
Fifth 20%   112,700      27.6     25.5       -7.6      -2,367 
Top 1%      576,553      31.9     26.2      -15.0     -32,864
Code:
EFFECTIVE TAX RATES BY POPULATION DECILE

Individual Income Tax

Decile     1980     1984     1988
First      -.5%     -.4      -.8
Second      .2       .3      -.4
Third      2.6      2.8      1.7
Fourth     5.5      4.8      4.1
Fifth      7.2      6.3      5.9
Sixth      9.1      7.8      7.2
Seventh   10.4      8.7      8.3
Eighth    11.6      9.7      9.0
Ninth     13.2     10.9     10.4
Tenth     18.0     15.1     15.5
Top 1%    22.9     18.8     19.7

Social Security Tax

Decile    1980     1984     1988
First      3.4%     4.4      5.0
Second     4.3      5.0      5.9
Third      6.4      7.5      8.6
Fourth     7.8      8.3      9.4
Fifth      8.1      8.9      9.8
Sixth      8.6      9.4     10.4
Seventh    8.9      9.6     10.5
Eighth     9.0     10.0     10.9
Ninth      8.4      9.7     10.6
Tenth      5.9      5.6      6.0
Top 1%     1.5      1.7      1.8

All Taxes

Decile     1980     1984     1988
First       6.9%    10.3      9.7
Second      7.8      8.7      8.6
Third      12.1     13.4     13.3
Fourth     16.2     16.1     16.5
Fifth      18.3     18.0     18.5
Sixth      20.3     19.6     20.2
Seventh    21.8     20.7     21.4
Eighth     23.1     22.0     22.3
Ninth      24.3     22.8     23.4
Tenth      28.9     24.8     26.6
Top 1%     34.6     26.9     29.3

Now, what "effective" actually means I can't say, so while I can't be sure what the ACTUAL numbers where, it's not a slamdunk ordeal.

ANYWAY... none of this lets Bush off the hook for knowingly plunging the nation into record deficits.

Gruco

Banned
Okay, so here's what I've learned -

1) Fiscal Policy is synonymous with the economy, and the president has no control over it.
1a) Except when passing through tax cuts, as this is a free lunch solution to everything and the presidents with the wisdom to see this are awesome.

2) Bush took credit for a bill he opposed because of 9/11 before 9/11 happened.

3) Experince as a legislator is insufficient for the white house because we need executive experience.
3a) Lt. Governor's don't count, they don't do anything, everbody knows that, don't be stupid.

4) Revenues doubled under Reagan!
4a) It is unnecessary to control for inflation.
4b) It is unnecessary to control for long term growth.
4c) The impact of payroll taxes and cutting loopholes should be ignored, reducing marginal rates explains everything.
4d) Because the laffer curve was so clearly effective when the highest marginal rate was 70%, it obviously still applies when the top rate is 38.5%.

5) Dealing with dangerous regimes before they become too powerful is necessary.
5a) Iraq was the only country that met this standard of necessity.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
MSW said:
He was Governor of the 3rd largest state in the union. He also had experience as an executive unlike a certain Massachusetts senator. Bush also didn't have a record of changing his mind on important issues every few years

Kerry was a LT Governor and you obviously have no clue how laws are passed. Many times several pieces of legislation are tacked together in order to get several laws passed at once. Anyone who has spent 19 years in the senate is going to find them selves on both sides of many issues. Sometimes to pass an important law you will have to also pass laws that you previously did not supprt because you wanted the main piece of legislation to go though. Likewise, you might also have to stop supporting something because it gets tacked on to a really crappy bill. Also, the politcal climate can change rapidly. What was good for our nation one day may not be good for our nation the next day.

I know how Bush haters love to point out how Bush had an alcohol problem like it somehow is relevant in this years election but each time you do you look more and more desperate.

Thats because it goes towards his character. Bush is a slacker who to this day never takes responsibility for his actions.

For the record Kerry didn’t spend most of the 80’s and 90’s working on strengthening our relationship with Vietnam.

Read what I typed again. I said late 80s/early 90's. This is quite accurate. At no point did I use the word "most". I said "much", meaning he spent a lot of his time dedicated to this cause and it is true.

As for stem cell research, again you show your true ignorance. There is research going on all over the country as we speak. You do know it is legal just not funded by the Federal government. The particular research you speak of is embryonic stem cell research, which has yielded no significant results yet. So you disagree the federal government should create embryos for the sole purpose of being destroyed. Big deal. It’s not like Bush wrote an executive order banning the research entirely. He just feels the federal government has no business funding such controversial work.

You are reading way too much into what I typed. I'll keep it short and sweet. Six embryonic stem cell lines is not enough. We have no way of knowing the full potential of embryonic stem cells if we aren't willing to fund the proper research. It's shortsightedness on Bush's part and the only reason he is doing it is to please folks like Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson and all of their flunkies.

Granted Iraq did not have nukes pointing at us but after Sept. 11 dangerous nations must be dealt with before they become too powerful. You have a dictator that sponsored terrorism by giving $25,000 dollars to families of suicide bombers and who also gave medical attention and shelter to Zarqouwi(sp) after he got injured in Afghanistan fighting our troops. You also have the CIA, French, British and Russian intelligence agencies all agreeing he has WMD’s. Now you might disagree about the war but don’t act like it was a war that was unnecessary. Not to mention the noble act of freeing 25 million people and hopefully changing the face of the Middle East forever.

A couple of things. #1 Iraq was never an immediate threat. I suspected from day 1 that Iraq never had WMDs and that this entire war was just a ploy to get us over into Iraq so that Bush could avenge his daddy and so that Cheney's former company, Haliburton could make billions. Let me ask you something. If the real reason to go to war was to find WMDs, then why did the administration's reasons for going to war change after only a few days? We were in Iraq for less than a week when suddenly the administration started using the line "we are here to free the Iraqi people". Now wait just one minute. I thought we were there to find WMDs. It seems to me that if the administration really was looking for WMDs that they would have looked for them for more than a week before changing their position. #2 The administration did not sell the war to the country by saying that our purpose for going to war was to free the Iraqi people. Freeing 25 million people is all well and good but it isn't the reason we went over there. We didn't send 900 soldiers over there to die so that the Iraqi people could be freed. We sent them over there because we were told that we were in imminent danger. Bush fucked up. It doesn't matter what the CIA said. He should have known the exact location of those weapons (or at the very least a rough idea) before going over there instead of speculating on their existence because of whispers and whatnot. He ultimately made the decision to go to war and the buck stops with him.

Now if you think the President has much to do with the economy then you really don’t know much about economics. In reality the President can do little to help the economy. The only thing the President can do, and even this doesn’t help very much, is infuse more capital into the economy thus, attempting to grow it. Bush did just that and look at the economy, it’s growing. I also love how you conveniently omit the devastation 9/11 had on the economy and the fact that it already had 2 quarters of negative growth before he took office. I guess in JC world everything is Bush’s fault.

So you mean to tell me the president doesn't have any control over the federal budget? Our nation is in debt because of Bush's tax cuts. The president should have held on to the surplus in case our nation ever had a crisis but instead he threw most of it away with the first round of tax cuts. Then, when our nation entered a crisis we didn't have any money so we had to go into debt to pay for the war. And then to top it all of, after our nation was already strapped for cash because of the war, Bush did another round of tax cuts that mainly benefitted the top 1% and the second round of tax cuts was even bigger than the first!!!

It is actually not millions, more like a million and a half. If you haven’t noticed we created 1.5 million jobs over the past year. And again you ignore the great hurdles this economy has had over the past 4 years. To be where it is at right now is really quite amazing.

It was 3 million only a few months ago and my point still stands. He is still very much in the hole. The fact is, this so called "recovery" has done nothing for the average american and theres nothing amazing about it.

Oh, I’m sure many American’s are losing sleep over this every night. The same thing happened in the 80’s when Reagan was confronting Communism. Once Iraq is free and peaceful in 10 years the world will be just fine with the USA. They disagreed with how we handled Iraq. They will get over it.

It MATTERS. America has for years, proclaimed itself the moral compass for the world. When our government starts pre-emptive wars it hurts our reputation and increases the hatred for us in the world. This does nothing but breed more terrorists. Mark my words, Iraq will not be a peaceful place in 10 years.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
It MATTERS. America has for years, proclaimed itself the moral compass for the world. When our government starts pre-emptive wars it hurts our reputation and increases the hatred for us in the world. This does nothing but breed more terrorists. Mark my words, Iraq will not be a peaceful place in 10 years.

I, for one, can't wait to find out. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a similar country to Kuwait. I've been to Kuwait and its a nice place.

DJ_Tet

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Come on. There were clearly millions of people who were skeptical about what evidence they were showing.

Come on, he's used WMD in the past. The International Community was convinced for years, as was Clinton. Why is everyone's memory so damn short? This has been a problem for many years, we haven't found them. Know why? They aren't there anymore. Iraq has documented that they did have WMD. They do not have documents that they were destroyed. What's so hard to grasp?

maharg

idspispopd
Are you really trying to convince people their opinions should have been wrong a year ago?

At any rate, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had had them, but the evidence that was being presented in order to sway me (and others) from holding that position as an assumption to believing it to be fact was flimsy at best. I also think you overestimate the conviction of 'the international community' even at the time.

Come on, he's used WMD in the past. The International Community was convinced for years, as was Clinton. Why is everyone's memory so damn short? This has been a problem for many years, we haven't found them. Know why? They aren't there anymore. Iraq has documented that they did have WMD. They do not have documents that they were destroyed. What's so hard to grasp?

With this kind of mentality you could be our President.:)

Seriously now, the argument surrounding the second Iraq war wasn't that Saddam had used WMD in the 80's (back when he was our anti-Islamic/Communist ally) but whether he still had them in 2003 and whether that constituted a threat to the U.S.

It's now 2004 and we never found any of the supposed weapons and "Coalition" forces easily swept away Saddam's forces and his gov. So maybe the UN weapons inspectors really did their job and destroyed all of Iraq's WMD's after the Gulf War. Or maybe Saddam himself destroyed any WMD's he had because he figured that the Bush administration would use them as a pretext for an invasion. And clearly what was left of the Iraqi army after their defeat in the Gulf War and a decade of sanctions and containment was no imminent threat to the U.S. at all. What's so hard to grap?

DJ_Tet

Banned
KilledByBill said:
With this kind of mentality you could be our President.:)

I know it's easy to blame Bush because we can't find the WMD that Iraq admitted to having, but that's the easy way out. I'm sure they weren't well hidden, in country or out. I mean, it's been so easy to find Saddam and Osama, I can't imagine why we can't find some inanimate objects on the face of the Earth, or below it. If you want to attack Bush because he changed the focus mid-war, that seems more reasonable than attacking him for information that he had and everyone not named Richard Clarke believed in.

The share of income taxes paid by the upper class increased during the 80s because their share of income increased markedly over that period. In other words the rich paid more taxes because they got richer, and the poor didn't.

maharg

idspispopd
Yeah because those inanimate objects moved themselves and no one put them there, so there would be no leads whatsoever as to where they were moved. Despite the fact that if they were not properly sealed (assuming they were the kind of WMD that are actually worth thousands of lives, and not the kind that would have been painfuly useful in the war), they'd probably be making people sick by now.

Seriously, that argument is getting a little tired.

DJ_Tet

Banned
maharg said:
Yeah because those inanimate objects moved themselves and no one put them there, so there would be no leads whatsoever as to where they were moved. Despite the fact that if they were not properly sealed (assuming they were the kind of WMD that are actually worth thousands of lives, and not the kind that would have been painfuly useful in the war), they'd probably be making people sick by now.

Seriously, that argument is getting a little tired.

What?

If I had hid WMD, at the last minute, I wouldn't have kept any leads. WMD don't talk, what's your point again junior?

DJ_Tet said:
What?

If I had hid WMD, at the last minute, I wouldn't have kept any leads. WMD don't talk, what's your point again junior?

Well, the world is still waiting good solid evidence for the WMD's. The kind of WMD's that pose an imminent threat. As time moves on, the "hidden WMD" or "WMD's in Syria/Sudan" sound more and more like conspiracy stories.

DJ_Tet

Banned
no more of a conspiracy than "they'll fly planes into our buildings"

it's sad how easily some are influenced.

No one doubted that Iraq had WMD. Hell they used them in the past. Revisionist history is the easiest type. I'd love to pull a John Titor and ask "Who thinks that Iraq has WMD?" in 1999. It would be over 3/4ths of you easily, god forbid any of you are Iranians. Were we misled into this war? Perhaps. Did Iraq have WMD? Most definitely. Why haven't we found them? Your guess is as good as mine, and I HOPE we don't find them before the election. Who knows what chain of events that would start, it might be worse than if we find Osama before the election.

I hope for OUR case we find one or the other though, even if it means Kerry is in office at that time.

DJ_Tet said:
no more of a conspiracy than "they'll fly planes into our buildings"

it's sad how easily some are influenced.

No one doubted that Iraq had WMD. Hell they used them in the past. Revisionist history is the easiest type. I'd love to pull a John Titor and ask "Who thinks that Iraq has WMD?" in 1999. It would be over 3/4ths of you easily, god forbid any of you are Iranians. Were we misled into this war? Perhaps. Did Iraq have WMD? Most definitely. Why haven't we found them? Your guess is as good as mine, and I HOPE we don't find them before the election. Who knows what chain of events that would start, it might be worse than if we find Osama before the election.

I hope for OUR case we find one or the other though, even if it means Kerry is in office at that time.

Did I ever say it was a "conspiracy story"? If you look at my sentence, you will find that the "hidden WMD" excuse "sounds" increasingly like a conspiracy story. I never said that it is one. There's a difference between noting that something sounds like a conspiracy story and saying that it is one. It's the relationship between the argument and the current available information that makes the "hidden WMD" sound like a conspiracy story to me. It's assumed that as time goes on, the WMDs would be more readily found as things are cleared out. However, even David Kay concedes that WMDs may not be found. With all the pre-war hype, it has certainly been a letdown.

Oh, and are you referring to me as being "influenced" and how so?

DJ_Tet

Banned
I concede that WMDs may not be found. Hell almost four years have passed since "we" (meaning the free world) knew Saddam had them. If he was half as smart as he is, he would have hid/moved them out of the country.

edit: I agree it was a letdown, and I was not referring to you exclusively as "influenced", rather the American public who on Sept 14 2001 was pretty damn sure Iraq had WMD. It's sad we couldn't find them, but not in the least incoincidental.

DJ_Tet said:
I concede that WMDs may not be found. Hell almost four years have passed since "we" (meaning the free world) knew Saddam had them. If he was half as smart as he is, he would have hid/moved them out of the country.

Or maybe he got rid of them like he was supposed to.

DJ_Tet

Banned
eggplant said:
Or maybe he got rid of them like he was supposed to.

If that was the case why didn't he document it? What possible reason could he have for NOT documenting that?

I think he 'got rid of them' too, by moving them out of the country. Think about it, he disposes of them, documents it, and stays in power. Even if he didn't stay in power, he'd at least have an ace to pull in court. I can see no advantage to disposing WMD and not documenting that fact when the whole world is watching.

DJ_Tet said:
If that was the case why didn't he document it? What possible reason could he have for NOT documenting that?

I think he 'got rid of them' too, by moving them out of the country. Think about it, he disposes of them, documents it, and stays in power. Even if he didn't stay in power, he'd at least have an ace to pull in court. I can see no advantage to disposing WMD and not documenting that fact when the whole world is watching.

Didn't the Iraqi government always claim that it got rid of the WMDs? Also, keep in mind how disorganized and corrupt the Iraqi government could be. I don't remember the link, but for example, Iraqi scientists would mislead the government on the progress of different projects so that they could get funding without actually doing anything. From what I've read in the news, Saddam was very uninformed for a leader. His underlings were afraid of him, and thus oftentimes made extravagant claims for stuff that they did not do. Saddam didn't have a total grasp of what his country was like. Even Aziz said that in the past couple of years Saddam became more and more involved in writing his novels than ruling his country.

What's the advantage to hiding it out of the country anyways when he's not going to be around to use them? We are going in way hypothetical territory here. Anyways, even during the run-up to the Iraq war, there were doubts being expressed about their existance (at least the heavy scary ones). The African uranium claims were questioned, and Hans Blix indicated that he didn't find any smoking guns, which opponents of the Iraq war used in their arguments.

DJ_Tet

Banned
eggplant said:
What's the advantage to hiding it out of the country anyways when he's not going to be around to use them?

I don't know...to own the President who's father he tried to kill?

GG-Duo

?

Saddam moved the weapons and doesn't use weapons to defend himself from capture because... he wants to own George W Bush?

DJ it sounds like you're the one taking the easy way out. You keep saying the same line again and again....

No one doubted that Iraq had WMD. Hell they used them in the past. Revisionist history is the easiest type.

No one doubted Iraq had WMD's when? In the 1980's? You keep trying to shoe-horn the fact that Saddam had and used WMD's in the 1980's as "evidence" that he still had them in 2003. That's not the kind of logic that will convince most people to launch a war that cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

You also sound like the one who seems to have the short-term selective memory, as you seem to completely ignore the intense international and domestic debate about the Iraq situation in the run-up to the war. Our administration laid out very weak evidence that Iraq was hiding weapons and any and all leads we gave the UN inspectors turned out to be bogus. There was also plenty of internal disagreement within U.S. intelligence about Iraq's WMD capabilities.

That assumes that Iraq's WMD programs from the 1980's were highly documented in the first place, which after the Gulf War it became clear that they weren't. That didn't stop the UN inspectors from finding and destroying so many of them though.

Also, who is to say that documents related to Iraq's destruction of its remaining WMD's weren't destroyed in the widespread looting and pillaging of Iraqi government buildings as the Coalition forces stood by on the sidelines.

I think he 'got rid of them' too, by moving them out of the country.

There's no real evidence to support a claim like that. That's just a saying: "we really thought he had them and if the UN couldn't find them and we couldn't find them than they must be somewhere else." It's a weak out, nothing more. An excuse to avoid admitting that the WMD's were either nonexsistant or had been destroyed as Saddam claimed all along.

What country would even take them anyway, knowing that the U.S. was prepared to use force to topple the Iraqi government to find them. Iraq's old friends in Iran maybe? Please....

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1998 is also an important date to consider, because last I heard, that's when the last of Iraq's ability to develop WMDs got bombed to pieces. He may have certainly tried to get them before that time, but afterward he was apparently left with little to nothing.

maharg

idspispopd
DJ_Tet said:

So you're saying he moved radioactive materials, biological agents, all by himself with no help from any of the lieutenants or scientists in his government that we've captured and are now rotting in gitmo? Or are they all so incredibly loyal to their complete wack job of a president that they'd never say, even though it won't help him now to keep quiet?

I'm sorry, but what you're talking about sounds like a deep conspiracy to me. You're insisting that these weapons are so well hidden, that everyone involved has incredibly tight lips, that there is no paper trail, and that ALL OF THIS incredible conspiracy to hide these incredibly dangerous weapons and not use them to actually defend himself was to own his old arch enemy's son. How is that any better than believing that Bush wanted to go there to avenge his daddy?

Apparently Saddam is the greatest criminal mastermind in history.

Lathentar said:
I, for one, can't wait to find out. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a similar country to Kuwait. I've been to Kuwait and its a nice place.

There is a HUGE difference between Kuwait and Iraq. Seeing that Baghdad has the twice the population of Kuwait, Iraq has ~25 times the landmass, and that Kuwait is a much more homogenous nation. They don't have the shi'ites and the sunnis and the kurds and the christians beating that shit out of each other. These are some of the reason that if you go to a small arab nation, like Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, and Kuwait, its not really as bad and typically pro western. Its much easier to control the populace and easier to spread the money around.

If they were able to actually fix Iraq, it will most likely be something like Egypt. Egypt is technically a democracy, but the presidents somehow win elections for 30 years in a row before dying in rather dubious elections. It is far from the democratic haven that Bush wants, but still quite stable at the moment.

However, they still can turn into a rather theocratic state like Iran, and that would probably be the worst thing to happen outside of Anarchy, where we just create another soverign state that dislikes us.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
DJ_Tet said:
Because Saddam's control over Iraq was based upon Iraqi citizens and the world's belief that Hussein had a powerful arsenal of weapons. The rest of the world wasn't going to go charging in to contest that, and neither were the Iraqis. People give Saddam too little credit, this man managed to protect his regime by claiming to have weapons that he actually didn't have, or at least once had and has seemingly destroyed. That's pretty impressive.

He wouldn't have documents proving that he got rid of his weapons because it would jeopardize his control of Iraq. The only problem is that Bush eventually called Hussein's bluff. That was Saddam Hussein's big gamble, and it worked for a pretty long time. In truth, if the world's intelligence had been able to confirm that Saddam had no weapons, there would have been fighting in Iraq anyway. There'd be no question that there would be revolutionary action taken, although it would have been anything but quick and successful.

In regard to Hussein protecting his own hide for as long as possible, he did just about everything right. I hate to say that as the guy was a crazy dictator, but played his cards pretty well. He only started losing his bet when 9/11 happened and Bush began publicly looking to tackle Iraq, and Hussein's bluffs weren't quite enough to keep the US out at that point.

Wow you guys defending president Bush must be pretty well off. Because unless you're making a $200k+ salary, having a republican in office does absolutely nothing for you.

(Unless you think that $150 tax rebate check is actually significant.)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
seismologist said:
Wow you guys defending president Bush must be pretty well off. Because unless you're making a $200k+ salary, having a republican in office does absolutely nothing for you.
This is what's wrong with the country. Everyone is sitting there going, "what will the President do for me?" What happened to electing someone that was good for the country as a whole, be they Democrat, Republican or Vegetable? Everyone just wants short-term personal benefits in the form of lower taxes or rebates or whatever with no regard to how they affect the country's future.

I vote to support the country, not myself.

PS: this post is not a defense of Bush, but a general comment on the selfishness and narrowmindedness of the country.

DJ_Tet

Banned
seismologist said:

(Unless you think that $150 tax rebate check is actually significant.)

What an awesome post. You've completely changed my views. Truth be told, I'm against the Republican agenda when it comes to abortion and drugs. But I'm against the Democratic agenda when it comes to drugs as well.

Having Bush in office has been pretty good to me the last four years. He's better than the alternative. I just wish we had more alternatives. THAT's what's wrong with this country actually.

DJ_Tet said:
What an awesome post. You've completely changed my views. Truth be told, I'm against the Republican agenda when it comes to abortion and drugs. But I'm against the Democratic agenda when it comes to drugs as well.

Having Bush in office has been pretty good to me the last four years. He's better than the alternative. I just wish we had more alternatives. THAT's what's wrong with this country actually.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just amazed that people are defending Bush with so much passion. I actually agree with you. The last four years has been pretty good to me personally. Republicans are known to cater to big business. That's why things like outsourcing have recently become a problem. Luckily it hasn't affected me yet so
I'm ok with the status quo. For me personally it probably isn't going to get much better with Kerry. It might get worse though. For a lot of people looking for jobs it might get alot better.

I dont see anything wrong with voting for the issues important to you. That's the whole point of voting. I dont see it as selfish.

DJ_Tet

Banned
seismologist said:
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just amazed that people are defending Bush with so much passion. I actually agree with you. The last four years has been pretty good to me personally. Republicans are known to cater to big business. That's why things like outsourcing have recently become a problem. Luckily it hasn't affected me yet so
I'm ok with the status quo. For me personally it probably isn't going to get much better with Kerry. It might get worse though. For a lot of people looking for jobs it might get alot better.

I dont see anything wrong with voting for the issues important to you. That's the whole point of voting. I dont see it as selfish.

I'd love to know how many posts in this thread (biased because it is the DNC thread) and all other political threads on GAF would qualify as "Defending Bush with a passion" and how many would qualify as "Bashing Bush with a passion/Pimping Kerry with a passion."

I bet the ratio would be 3-1 in favor of bashing/pimping. Simply stating one's support of the President is not the same as "defending with a passion." There are a LOT of things Bush has done in his 4 years to cater for the Libs. They don't care, and all he's doing is pissing conservatives like myself off. His spending has been out of control. I merely find him to be the lesser of two evils at this point, which isn't a glowing review of Bush's presidency. I'll never forget what he was like during our time of need (after 9.11) though, and for me that's enough.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Bleh, we covered this with opa on the last version of the board...

Bush has NOT done a lot of things for liberals. People who think this tend to think that liberals measure the success of a government by the amount of money it spends, rather than by the problems it solves. Sure, Bush is throwing a lot of money at the prescription drug entitlement, but the bill was very flawed, and opposed by most Democrats.

As for Iraq's WMD's...

Your argument is that he had them in the 80's, and that people used to think he had them. Well, in the 80's he didn't have to deal with the crippling sanctions and the inspections and the no-fly zones and the bombing in 1998 and all that hoo-ha. When Kamel Hussein defected, he told the UN team that the WMD program had been dismantled. Scott Ritter said before the war that there was no WMD program, and David Kay said after the war there was no WMD program.

For over a year we've had access to all the possible WMD manufacturing and storage sites, and to anyone and everyone who would have been involved in the research, production, distribution, and training for WMD's. We haven't found shit because there ain't shit to find, and any other conclusions are felony violations of Occam's Razor.

I'll never forget what he was like
Instead of parsing this, I'll ask you to elaborate.

MSW just posted way too many stupid things. That Cooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom