• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite all the crap going on I still love this place as a gaming community

Paracelsus

I've already witnessed a mass-migration from a huge forum because of ethical reasons (but it was about work, it was a gaming press site (magazines and stuff) and the publisher kicked the staff out to go dirt cheap, many left as a sign of protest). It wasn't a small board either, I'm talking about 165000ish users.

What happened is that plenty core members left to another popular board and stuck there, they're still there, and that population is 15000ish. The original forum lived on, and ironically their peak traffic record happened after the mass migration.

Basically all the good stuff (community, news, insiders) from GAF is now (very) active at the new site, and its functionally head and shoulders better. I thought I’d stay here because I wasn’t sure how it could be quickly replaced, but, incredibly, it has been both replaced and improved almost overnight. I recognize all the good users at the new site, and none here. The GAF I new and loved isn’t gone, it just moved and got better. I’m still checking in to see how things go here but if I had to guess I’d say this place will either just slowly die or turn into something different.

Brock2621

100% agree with thread title, I usually just lurk but the old adage “you never knew what you had till you lost it” rang true over the weekend. I found myself not sure where to go...

This board feels like Alternate 1985 right now.

I'd love for Off Topic to come back. Would like to discuss tonight's episode of Survivor with gaffers in the thread I put time into creating for a community I care deeply about.

Xtyle

What's sad to me is they are not even identifying themselves as gaffers anymore...I could understand not staying here but once a gaffer always a gaffer man..can't betray that.

Kimawolf

What's sad to me is they are not even identifying themselves as gaffers anymore...I could understand not staying here but once a gaffer always a gaffer man..can't betray that.

things change, people change. It's evolve or die, GAF took a major blow, it will either evolve and continue thriving, or die. Loyalty is a tricky thing, but can't really blame people for leaving.

just wish they'd do it in a more constructive way, but eh it is what it is. good luck to em.

Clockwork5

Do you align yourself with the community or the logo in the upper left corner?

Shit is not the marines man lol.

The point of forums is joining and belonging to a community. You make friends with people there and have fun. You keep the connections with the people not the website.

lmbotiva

honest question, what is the procedure to close an account here? not to get banned or anything, is it even possible?

Maximo

Basically all the good stuff (community, news, insiders) from GAF is now (very) active at the new site, and its functionally head and shoulders better. I thought I'd stay here because I wasn't sure how it could be quickly replaced, but, incredibly, it has been both replaced and improved almost overnight. I recognize all the good users at the new site, and none here. The GAF I new and loved isn't gone, it just moved and got better. I'm still checking in to see how things go here but if I had to guess I'd say this place will either just slowly die or turn into something different.

Reset has friggen alerts when quoted and you can tag spoilers so your not checking for landmines all the time, its great.

ROFL.

This isnt it at all. GAF has a HUGE reputation for being elitist, ivory tower and thinking people here are better than everyone else. Make a thread saying you dislike Bloodborne or Horizon and see what happens. Its practically online bullying in most threads. That's the main reason GAF is disliked oitside of GAF.

getting ganged up on by saying you dislike a thing isn't a Gaf exclusive thing, it happens everywhere.

The dumb people who post "am I the only one who dislikes this thing?" are the ones who invite the criticism, and then get mad at everyone who disagrees.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I hear ya. Unfortunately now the ones that have stayed (us) will be labelled sexist, racists, alt-right, fascists. Pretty crazy. Hopefully some of the more level headed people do stay here and turn this site around.

It shits me because over the years I've done loads of work for communities, unemployed, English as a second language students, men and women from all walks of life but somehow staying here makes me an alt-right sexist? Please. I'm guessing there must've been a sale on skeleton free closets at Ikea recently...

Anyway, people that throw labels around are the real nutters in society, Good riddance to them.

toneroni

It's amazing how quick they got set up and the new forum tools are awesome. Almost every community went over there which is pretty crazy.

But I think GAF will survive and eventually be fine. 195k total users is a shitton (even counting banned / inactive accts). New ppl will step up and take over for the old leaders and GAF will march on.

I'm probly going to check out both from time to time.

Usobuko

Banned
I've already witnessed a mass-migration from a huge forum because of ethical reasons (but it was about work, it was a gaming press site (magazines and stuff) and the publisher kicked the staff out to go dirt cheap, many left as a sign of protest). It wasn't a small board either, I'm talking about 165000ish users.

What happened is that plenty core members left to another popular board and stuck there, they're still there, and that population is 15000ish. The original forum lived on, and ironically their peak traffic record happened after the mass migration.

This is certainly interesting.

entremet

To be honest, I'm staying to see what this place becomes. I mean a huge identity of it is gone and never coming back.

I checked out the other place and it's almost GAF 2.0 without missing a beat. I do wish them well and I liked many of the posters that moved on there, but nuGAF is kinda more interesting and less predictable lol.

Josh378

Well, I’m not a huge poster on here, and it took two years just for Neogaf to approve my account. I can’t imagine trying to signup for another forum (*************). You can’t even sign up there(sad). I think I’m just going to lurk on both forums for now on and just use the OT thread on both forums for political news :(

I don’t know what I should do now:(

MisterR

Man, what a drag this has all been. I'm forced between staying at a place with questionable stewardship and where complaining about SJWs is the new hotness or following posters like Electric Eye here.

No kidding. Hopefully Resetera won’t be accepting scumbag members like Electric Eye.

No kidding. Hopefully Resetera won't be accepting scumbag members like Electric Eye.

well, he definitely didn't make it in with this wave, at least

Well, I'm not a huge poster on here, and it took two years just for Neogaf to approve my account. I can't imagine trying to signup for another forum (*************). You can't even sign up there(sad). I think I'm just going to lurk on both forums for now on and just use the OT thread on both forums for political news :(

I don't know what I should do now:(

fwiw, once they open registration back up there won't be a super-lengthy approval process

Newk86

This seems like a good enough place to ask this. I was thinking recently about what kind of big events and releases etc are still to come for the rest of 2017 that we can look forward to. From what I know PSX would probably be the biggest one.

What I was wondering though is does GAF have a GOTY topic that they regularly do at the end of the year at all? Like where people can vote for or nominate stuff? Sorry I've never really paid attention before, but I'd be keen to get involved in something like that.

So something like best game you've played during the year, best paid DLC, but also a category that I've been thinking about lately is a separate one for best free content/patch. Mostly because I found out recently that the game Vikings: Wolves of Midgard, a game that seemed like it should have included couch coop, actually patched it in! In a free patch!

That is pretty amazing to me. And the back of the box won't ever say it, and the PSN store doesn't mention it, but the feature is there now via a patch for those interested. So yeah, I would nominate that for sure if such I thing were possible. Anyway, as you were.

well, he definitely didn't make it in with this wave, at least

fwiw, once they open registration back up there won't be a super-lengthy approval process

How do you know the approval process won’t be as long? I think I waited 2-3 months for my account here to be approved. Also any idea when they’ll open up the sign up page? I only saw log in but sign up wasn’t available.

AlexBasch

Guess I'll hang around here until the other place opens up their registration.

Wanna know the saddest part? I was building my new gaming PC over the weekend and thought of asking a few questions about it in the PC thread and...well it wasn't there anymore, so I had to look for info here and there.

Made me realize how helpful GAF is/was.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've seen things like this occur before with other divisive forums where a bunch of people come together to build and migrate to a new site, and it's always the rage for a few days or weeks but the original spark always seems to be missing.

NeoGAF was unique in its absurdly high activity to user ratio. It always felt like a tight-knit community with the activity of a much larger forum. I haven't seen that anywhere else really.

for two reasons:

1) no one who joined today had to deal with an approval process for obvious reasons
2) frankly, i can't see them bothering to implement one with how many things they kinda have to scramble to add now

Well in their FAQs, it says your application will be manually reviewed by staff and could take time for approval.

Also once approved, you’ll be a junior. After 120 days or 200 posts, whichever comes first, you’ll be upgraded to member status.

Obviously they couldn’t take a lot of time now cause they needed users to start it up. Hopefully they’re not as slow to approve as gaf was. I’m excited to sign up.

Well in their FAQs, it says your application will be manually reviewed by staff and could take time for approval.

Also once approved, you'll be a junior. After 120 days or 200 posts, whichever comes first, you'll be upgraded to member status.

Obviously they couldn't take a lot of time now cause they needed users to start it up. Hopefully they're not as slow to approve as gaf was. I'm excited to sign up.

...huh, i didn't actually see any of that. that oughta teach me to skim through the FAQ thread :jnc

that having been said, i still can't see approvals taking as long as they did here (i recall someone saying it took them two years to get approved, which is frankly absurd), if only because there's not gonna be that many people chomping at the bit at first

...huh, i didn't actually see any of that. that oughta teach me to skim through the FAQ thread :jnc

that having been said, i still can't see approvals taking as long as they did here (i recall someone saying it took them two years to get approved, which is frankly absurd), if only because there's not gonna be that many people chomping at the bit at first

Front page says current member count is already over 7k strong. Not bad for a site that just went live.

Yes I too hope it’s not a long approval process either.

Freeman76

getting ganged up on by saying you dislike a thing isn't a Gaf exclusive thing, it happens everywhere.

The dumb people who post "am I the only one who dislikes this thing?" are the ones who invite the criticism, and then get mad at everyone who disagrees.

I see you are one of 'those' who refuse to see the reality of how GAF is. What I wrote is what most people say on other sites, and what I have seen on GAF myself. You are in denial about the way things are here if you cant see that.

caffeware

Banned
To be honest, I'm staying to see what this place becomes. I mean a huge identity of it is gone and never coming back.

I checked out the other place and it's almost GAF 2.0 without missing a beat. I do wish them well and I liked many of the posters that moved on there, but nuGAF is kinda more interesting and less predictable lol.

Same. This is like madmax land. There's too many rainbows and unicorns in the other place.

Dark_castle

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I believe this site is going to be very rough going forward. The board is slow like a turtle and members are leaving or waiting for resetera to be open to public, including myself. I've seen more interesting/familiar posters there too, including ex mods. In the end, NeoGAF is about community, its people, not its location (Anyone seen Thor Ragnarok yet? heh). Personally I'd go where the core community is at, even if I try to close one eyes and pretend to not care about what Evilore did or did not do.

Top Bottom