• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite all the crap going on I still love this place as a gaming community

I never understand these attention seeking posts. If you don't want to visit any more just don't visit any more! It aint rocket science.

Nothing wrong with addressing a simple request either.

Stop being so antagonistic.

And frankly part of the problem with this place a lot is the lack of transparency, who is a mod and not, and who even sends the ban message. Very ridiculous policy from the beginning.

But honestly it's fitting for the character of who runs this place originally really, doesn't want any flak back after making a snap judgment.

DeaDPo0L84

I never understand these attention seeking posts. If you don't want to visit any more just don't visit any more! It aint rocket science.

It's funny to me because they want a ban due to how they feel given the circumstance but yet they know they dont have the control to simply log out and never visit again. Basically they need to NOT have access cause they dont feel strong enough to make the very decision they feel the need to make.

What mod? Where? Is there a list?

No I'm not just logging out. Because it's too easy to log back in. I want to be removed.

This seems interesting, you will keep coming back if not banned? Seems they shouldn't ban you, whatever you want I'd say control is the real issue in your case. Not a bad thing, well maybe in some ways but if you really don't want something I think you are able to do it. Believe.

DeaDPo0L84

This seems interesting, you will keep coming back if not banned? Seems they shouldn't ban you, whatever you want I'd say control is the real issue in your case. Not a bad thing, well maybe in some ways but if you really don't want something I think you are able to do it. Believe.

This guy gets it. For the record I am not against people leaving, nor would I defend in any shape or form the owner of this site. With that said if you feel so strongly about something why do you need someone to completely block access to the site? If you feel strongly about it simply leave and dont give this site your traffic, it really is THAT simple.

Marker007

Love how people have been so angry about Jontron or Palmer Luckey and were trying to boycott their products but now their standing with Neogaf even though the owner had been outed and a real piece of shit.

Ombra

Love how people have been so angry about Jontron or Palmer Luckey and were trying to boycott their products but now their standing with Neogaf even though the owner had been outed and a real piece of shit.
What people are you talking about? Do you have receipts?

Strazyplus

I think we all know it's obviously not a problem of self-control, These people no longer want their name associated with this site anymore. yes, I think a few are attention seekers but some have a problem and no longer want to be part of the site. so I think they have every right to delete their account and banning seems to be the only way and requesting it is better than earning the ban.

is it the solution? no, a discussion is.

Nosgotham

its really refreshing to see threads not derailed constantly. theres an oculus thread up now and OldGaf would have derailed it in one reply and turn it into some palmer hate fest. now we can talk about games. its nice and refreshing. i hope it stays that way

BashNasty

Very, very few people here know much of anything about the owner of NeoGAF.

It blows my mind that a single allegation was made and people immediately made up their minds that Evilore was a huge piece of shit who is beyond redemption, despite knowing nothing about him.

It wasn't "innocent until proven guilty," hell, it wasn't even "guilty until proven innocent," it was just "guilty! Guilty! GUILTY!" People on the internet are far, far too prone to outrage and knee-jerk reactions and nowhere was this more apparent than the absurdly venomous reactions people on this site had to something that may or may not have happened.

Ombra

Very, very few people here know much of anything about the owner of NeoGAF.

It blows my mind that a single allegation was made and people immediately made up their minds that Evilore was a huge piece of shit who is beyond redemption, despite knowing nothing about him.

It wasn't "innocent until proven guilty," hell, it wasn't even "guilty until proven innocent," it was just "guilty! Guilty! GUILTY!" People on the internet are far, far too prone to outrage and knee-jerk reactions and nowhere was this more apparent than the absurdly venomous reactions people on this site had to something that may or may not have happened.
They were waiting for a reason I wouldn't be surprised if some bit of drama happens that encourages someone to spill their guts about it.

Mikey Jr.

I also think part of it is that going to a new forum and starting fresh can be exciting. There is no baggage. You can restart your online profile over again.

Plus that other forum has some great features that would be nice here. Shows who quoted you. Embed YouTube. Subbed threads only show if there is something new. If someone gets a ban/infraction, that post is highlighted in red explaining why and length of ban.

On the flipside, Neogaf is easier to read. Has a dark theme. Generally how the forum is laid out works better. Not alot of wasted space.
Mobile version feels way better.

I don't think everyone that went to the other forum did it purely because of evil here.
I'd say the majority didn't. But it was enough for the people who did to gather people and move somewhere else which creates a snowball effect that just gets worse and worse.

I also think part of it is that going to a new forum and starting fresh can be exciting. There is no baggage. You can restart your online profile over again.

Plus that other forum has some great features that would be nice here. Shows who quoted you. Embed YouTube. Subbed threads only show if there is something new. If someone gets a ban/infraction, that post is highlighted in red explaining why and length of ban.

On the flipside, Neogaf is easier to read. Has a dark theme. Generally how the forum is laid out works better. Not alot of wasted space.
Mobile version feels way better.

I don't think everyone that went to the other forum did it purely because of evil here.
I'd say the majority didn't. But it was enough for the people who did to gather people and move somewhere else which creates a snowball effect that just gets worse and worse.

I agree that the fresh start thing can be cool. I'm just hope mods won't act like the overlords we got here.
About Resetera, how can you post? Is it like neogaf where you have to wait they give you the right manually?

I plan to visit both forums, since I have too much free time during work hours :p

down 2 orth

I think another thing people aren't taking into account is that there are a lot of fearful people in this world. I would argue that most people are that way. And social ostracization is a terrifying thing to almost anyone.

I agree that the fresh start thing can be cool. I'm just hope mods won't act like the overlords we got here.
About Resetera, how can you post? Is it like neogaf where you have to wait they give you the right manually?

I plan to visit both forums, since I have too much free time during work hours :p

I signed up Friday. Manual review for Account was approved for commenting tonight so not a long wait. Thread creation won’t be available till 120 days have passed or 200 posts have been made once account is approved.

BizzyBum

I'll end up posting on both, but as it stands GAF's soul feels like it's been sucked out. I'm posting on GAF but it doesn't feel like GAF. For instance the Mario Odyssey OT only has like 700 replies which is a real eye opener. I feel like old GAF would have already been nearing a second OT for it. The lack of insiders and dev insights for the foreseeable future, perhaps forever, really hurts, too.

This is my only time engaging in one of these topics on here, and I have to agree. The moderation always seemed rude to me, but otherwise I come here because of pages long threads for things I care about like 3DS games, screenshots, sales figures, etc.

Usobuko

Banned

Didn't the bulk of those people moved? It's like 25k active posters in reset.

What do you mean?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, there's that one time they refuse to change the site's banner, even if just for one day, for Iwata's death.

Anyway why do people think "e-mail barrier" is some sort of filter. You still see the same console warrior stupidity.

Well, there's that one time they refuse to change the site's banner, even if just for one day, for Iwata's death.

yeah, that thing was really grinding me.
It was so shitty behaviour of this sites owner.

One month of rainbow logo (which I had no problem with) but nothing for the death of one of the most iconic and beloved people in gaming.

That would be enough reason to go to the other side. but i think i will just be lurking there. I am not an active poster anyway.

On the sexual misconduct allegations, I‘d wait until something was proven.

I'll end up posting on both, but as it stands GAF's soul feels like it's been sucked out. I'm posting on GAF but it doesn't feel like GAF. For instance the Mario Odyssey OT only has like 700 replies which is a real eye opener. I feel like old GAF would have already been nearing a second OT for it. The lack of insiders and dev insights for the foreseeable future, perhaps forever, really hurts, too.

I feel the same way. Once most if not all of sales gaf left, I had to sign up for reset.

Spman2099

Anyway why do people think "e-mail barrier" is some sort of filter. You still see the same console warrior stupidity.

The e-mail barrier makes it very, very hard for the dumbest type of poster to be able to endlessly harass everyone. Manual approval helps a lot, but if the free websites are an option, people will apply for tens of accounts. Then they can just keep posting trash, get banned, and switch to the next account. Sure, with the paid e-mail they can still do that to a limited degree, but it is far, far, far reduced. Basically, it makes account suicide style trolling a massive logistical problem for trolls.

So even though there were still stupid posts on GAF, the tight moderation kept the REALLY dumb stuff off the site.

None of the sites with an easy application process are nearly as well moderated simply because the mods don't have the tools they need. Without those tools there is always a danger of your gaming forum degrading into another gamefaqs.

TLZ

Banned
The e-mail barrier makes it very, very hard for the dumbest type of poster to be able to endlessly harass everyone. Manual approval helps a lot, but if the free websites are an option, people will apply for tens of accounts. Then they can just keep posting trash, get banned, and switch to the next account. Sure, with the paid e-mail they can still do that to a limited degree, but it is far, far, far reduced. Basically, it makes account suicide style trolling a massive logistical problem for trolls.

So even though there were still stupid posts on GAF, the tight moderation kept the REALLY dumb stuff off the site.

None of the sites with an easy application process are nearly as well moderated simply because the mods don't have the tools they need. Without those tools there is always a danger of your gaming forum degrading into another gamefaqs.
I moderate a gaming forum and we have no issues with our tools.

Shifty

Hear hear, OP. I had a poke around Something Awful while things were shaking out and that place is super weird. Their humor is lost on me.

Glad that GAF is back minus the crazy crowd. I'm also glad that they have their own place to discuss what they want, it should ultimately mean a better signal-to-noise ratio for everyone.

Iwata’s death isn’t important. Laws being changed that affect millions of people are.

We knew that much of the mod team were totally unreasonable and obnoxious before, and didn’t leave, so knowing that the owner may or may not be an asshole also doesn’t make me want to leave. I’m here for the gaming discussion and that is better here than anywhere else. GAF has always been good despite its overlords not because of them.

Also if you ever took the political discussions on GAF seriously then I feel bad for you. I would often wonder if some posters here were literally alt-ring shills embedded in GAF to be deliberately obnoxious just to give liberals a bad name.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You do realize there have been many sockpuppet accounts in GAF right? As I said, just because it reduced the amount of registration, you still see the same amount of garbage. You reduced the quantity of users, but the quality remains the same.

Iwata’s death isn’t important. Laws being changed that affect millions of people are.

You do realize it was a one time thing right? it's not even about importance. A gaming figure died on that day - surely a single day where a tribute is given is enough before going back again to that logo. Even /v/ managed to give a day's worth of tribute for Iwata (and no, it wasn't a "let's rally all users" thing - it's an admin-side effect - Earthbound's theme was playing when you were in that board).

kinggroin

Banned
You probably didn't realize how bad this post made you look.

I was very much aware how my composed, respectful request would look among a select bunch of super-defensive hive minded individuals on a witch Hunt. Sure. I made it despite people like them.

Oh man, a junior with 14,000 posts! What did you do?

I was to real for someone a year or so ago.

See my response to DeaDPooL below.

It's funny to me because they want a ban due to how they feel given the circumstance but yet they know they dont have the control to simply log out and never visit again. Basically they need to NOT have access cause they dont feel strong enough to make the very decision they feel the need to make.

You aren't wrong. And being addicted to a forum, or anything social media related, is a real thing. So yeah, it's a strength I don't have. But being blocked at least helps me (mentally) to get started.

It's not about visiting. Don't be presumptuous. I have my reasons and I've been incredibly respectful in asking for someone to assist me with my request.

And thanks to the person who helped with the link. Hope everyone here finds a fully recovered forum as time moves on.your communities shouldn't have to suffer because of it's owners' personal decisions.

Top Bottom