• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

Mithos

Ok...
I got to ask they CHANGED something about the games lighting system right?
Some engine update or is it INGAME lore changes?

the EDZ is soo BRIGHT and looks almost washed out during the daytime (compared to before the game update)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a ton of questions about the current state of Destiny but I dont wanna piss anyone off lol. Anyone willing to PM me?

VertigoOA

Banned
Ok...
I got to ask they CHANGED something about the games lighting system right?
Some engine update or is it INGAME lore changes?

the EDZ is soo BRIGHT and looks almost washed out during the daytime (compared to before the game update)

I had to readjust white and black levels again. Nessus was fucked. I got it to where it’s okay. Load Nessus and spend time finding what works best. In my experience don’t follow the suggested way to adjust brightness in-game, just do it with your own eyes. PS5 has its own HDR sliders at boot so I still have to spend a few moments adjusting it so colors pop again.

Stasis Titan melee pairs exceptionally well with a Trench Barrel shotty. It procs the perk. First time I’m debating making a melee Titan build. The zoning game is too strong.

I adore this new Titan slide.

High resilience helps fight against stasis damage btw.

Last edited:

manfestival

I have a ton of questions about the current state of Destiny but I dont wanna piss anyone off lol. Anyone willing to PM me?
ask those questions here. Please feel free to piss off people. Everyone that I know that loves the game is super jaded anyways.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
ask those questions here. Please feel free to piss off people. Everyone that I know that loves the game is super jaded anyways.

I have tried to get into Destiny for awhile but everytime I tried I felt like it was just a mess in terms of structure. It seems like this newest expansion is looking to rectify this as they have removed a ton of content.

So a few of my basic questions so far are this:

Its to mu understanding that a majority of the exotics and such are have been removed from the game. Is this true? Is this in effort to make exotics more important?

Am I crazy or is it impossible to find an exotic without googling it?

I am struggling to understand the loop of the game. Am I supposed to be playing strikes over and over or jumping into lost sectors? Is the actual grind getting better equipment or is there something I am missing?

AM I crazy or do all of the skill tress kinda suck? I feel like there isnt any real depth to any of them?

Dthomp

I have tried to get into Destiny for awhile but everytime I tried I felt like it was just a mess in terms of structure. It seems like this newest expansion is looking to rectify this as they have removed a ton of content.

So a few of my basic questions so far are this:

Its to mu understanding that a majority of the exotics and such are have been removed from the game. Is this true? Is this in effort to make exotics more important?

Am I crazy or is it impossible to find an exotic without googling it?

I am struggling to understand the loop of the game. Am I supposed to be playing strikes over and over or jumping into lost sectors? Is the actual grind getting better equipment or is there something I am missing?

AM I crazy or do all of the skill tress kinda suck? I feel like there isnt any real depth to any of them?

Almost all exotics are still attainable, whether through Xur, Exotic Quests, or World Drops. Alot of what had special requirements can be bought from the new kiosk (alot of materials here, so rough on a new player but not bad at all).

The big draw is just playing how you want to play. New players should do the New Light campaign story questline, past that it's do what you want to get drops. The loot in the DLC is very shallow so not alot to chase outside of certain drops.

Skill trees were dumbed down in D2 because people at Bungie didn't understand how to play their own game in D1 so we all suffer with these neutered classes. Maybe when Statis is fleshed out more with the inevitable two more subclasses and depth it'll be better, but we won't see D1 levels of ability choice.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Almost all exotics are still attainable, whether through Xur, Exotic Quests, or World Drops. Alot of what had special requirements can be bought from the new kiosk (alot of materials here, so rough on a new player but not bad at all).

The big draw is just playing how you want to play. New players should do the New Light campaign story questline, past that it's do what you want to get drops. The loot in the DLC is very shallow so not alot to chase outside of certain drops.

Skill trees were dumbed down in D2 because people at Bungie didn't understand how to play their own game in D1 so we all suffer with these neutered classes. Maybe when Statis is fleshed out more with the inevitable two more subclasses and depth it'll be better, but we won't see D1 levels of ability choice.

DO exotics drop out in regular world fights?

Since the skills seem shallow do you basically need exotics to spice things up in the game play department? Do they change the game play up that much?

Dthomp

DO exotics drop out in regular world fights?

Since the skills seem shallow do you basically need exotics to spice things up in the game play department? Do they change the game play up that much?

Exotics can, but they are rare. I wouldn't worry too hard about them just yet as most are just meh to begin with. Over time you have them all without thinking.

Exotics can give a little more to certain builds, but many just let you do things twice instead of once, not game changing enough to worry about right away. IMO the big hindrance right now is that at it's core this is a looter shooter, but Luke Smith loves WOW and it's abilities so they keep trying to make more investment into abilities/supers/Class abilities/Grenades and the mod system instead of focusing hard on the only reason alot of us play D2/D1 and that's the GUN PLAY. It's top notch, but very lacking due to limited perks in the perk pool and after sunsetting even less guns.

If it seems I'm overly critical, it's because I am. D1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and D2 when it does something right it's great, but they really really suck at keeping us engaged other then drip feeding seasonal stuff.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Exotics can, but they are rare. I wouldn't worry too hard about them just yet as most are just meh to begin with. Over time you have them all without thinking.

Exotics can give a little more to certain builds, but many just let you do things twice instead of once, not game changing enough to worry about right away. IMO the big hindrance right now is that at it's core this is a looter shooter, but Luke Smith loves WOW and it's abilities so they keep trying to make more investment into abilities/supers/Class abilities/Grenades and the mod system instead of focusing hard on the only reason alot of us play D2/D1 and that's the GUN PLAY. It's top notch, but very lacking due to limited perks in the perk pool and after sunsetting even less guns.

If it seems I'm overly critical, it's because I am. D1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and D2 when it does something right it's great, but they really really suck at keeping us engaged other then drip feeding seasonal stuff.

So the build differences come down to the mods more than anything?

I just have fallen into these skill based games very hard on PC in stuff like Diablo and Grim Dawn and while I know this is not that game it seems like it wants to be. So I feel like I a missing something and I am not seeing the variety that I should be.

Its not bad but I just have never felt compelled to stick with it.

Last edited:

Dthomp

So the build differences come down to the mods more than anything?

I just have fallen into these skill based games very hard on PC in stuff like Diablo and Grim Dawn and while I know this is not that game it seems like it wants to be. So I feel like I a missing something and I am not seeing the variety that I should be.

Its not bad but I just have never felt compelled to stick with it.

Yeah it's nothing and will never be Diablo enough, if you're looking for a shooter closer to that Borderland 3 would be the ticket. Destiny has always, and under current leadership I think always will struggle to find it's identity. Honestly, alot of us have only stuck with it cause it's what we've always done or have or small groups to group up with. Destiny 1 for me did a better job of having it's place and keeping a full group engaged through raiding and other activities where D2 is kind of a jack of all trades, but fails to excel at any one thing.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah it's nothing and will never be Diablo enough, if you're looking for a shooter closer to that Borderland 3 would be the ticket. Destiny has always, and under current leadership I think always will struggle to find it's identity. Honestly, alot of us have only stuck with it cause it's what we've always done or have or small groups to group up with. Destiny 1 for me did a better job of having it's place and keeping a full group engaged through raiding and other activities where D2 is kind of a jack of all trades, but fails to excel at any one thing.

I guess I dont want to be just like Diablo its more than I feel like its trying to be, but like you said, it doesnt seem to excel at it.

Your expereince kinda sounds like how I have felt so at least I know I am not crazy. I think I will continue the new campaign and see how I feel.

Dthomp

I guess I dont want to be just like Diablo its more than I feel like its trying to be, but like you said, it doesnt seem to excel at it.

Your expereince kinda sounds like how I have felt so at least I know I am not crazy. I think I will continue the new campaign and see how I feel.

Like I said, this may be the hardest game for me to suggest to, or stick up for with facts. I enjoy it for stretches, but yeah I want more to chase. I don't think giving us all mods and letting us just make whatever armor you want is fun for me, I like MMOs and the first Destiny because I had to keep grinding to get better stuff. Armor is now completely useless when you get a good set so every piece after is just meh.

They need to stop trying to be WoW, and focus on being more like Borderlands.

Trogdor1123

Well, they still have the stupidly long installs for tiny patches I see...

So, I'm kinda torn on duality. I'm not sure I'm using the slug properly but the hip fire is great. Tips?

I also like no time to explain. It's gimmicky but fun. Wish it built up faster though.

Dthomp

Well, they still have the stupidly long installs for tiny patches I see...

So, I'm kinda torn on duality. I'm not sure I'm using the slug properly but the hip fire is great. Tips?

I also like no time to explain. It's gimmicky but fun. Wish it built up faster though.

Tip? Aim High :) It's got great use from both, and it does some really good damage. Honestly, it feels like a ho hum exotic because so many older ones were too good at times. This one, and NTTE fit more of what I feel exotics should be. Good guns with one of a kind perks that make them better then a legendary with Kill Clip. I think NTTE builds up fine, hit mostly headshots and you'll have it over and over again.

Mithos

I had to readjust white and black levels again. Nessus was fucked. I got it to where it’s okay. Load Nessus and spend time finding what works best. In my experience don’t follow the suggested way to adjust brightness in-game, just do it with your own eyes. PS5 has its own HDR sliders at boot so I still have to spend a few moments adjusting it so colors pop again.

Well there is only the "move slider until emblem is almost invisible" setting and its either too dark (3 and below) and too bright (4 and above).
Kinda feel like the game is broken and sends out the wrong video mode or something, like sending out a limited rgb mode on a full rgb mode set ps4/tv, or vice versa, or maybe even sending out an HDR mode when it is not supposed to.

So doesn't look like I can fix it (for now).

VertigoOA

Banned
Well there is only the "move slider until emblem is almost invisible" setting and its either too dark (3 and below) and too bright (4 and above).
Kinda feel like the game is broken and sends out the wrong video mode or something, like sending out a limited rgb mode on a full rgb mode set ps4/tv, or vice versa, or maybe even sending out an HDR mode when it is not supposed to.

So doesn't look like I can fix it (for now).

I meant to get back about this. You’re right. I think Nessus’ lighting is bugged. It seems to just be Nessus. EdZ got the same lighting change but I hadn’t checked it out yet.

They changed the nightfall ordeal yesterday. Now it’s the repurposed Omnigul strike... which is the same as it was in D1 but the boss encounter and room is changed up.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
120 rpm handcanons are awesome in crucible.

I have a godroll true prophecy with rangefinder, explosive payload, with accurate rounds and a stability masterwork. It’s so good with a ton of range. The range is kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

While I quite enjoy Beyond Light and the new dark subclass, there is one thing that really irritates me - why the fuck did they change the male and female to "masculine" and "feminine" and removed gender on character select screen, it's a small insignificant change, sure, but I see it everytime I load into Destiny and it just rubs me the wrong way

Also in the russian version of the client game now defaults to male pronouns and variations of titles (they are gendered in russian), it's beyond lame. Like, who wanted this?

Trogdor1123

While I quite enjoy Beyond Light and the new dark subclass, there is one thing that really irritates me - why the fuck did they change the male and female to "masculine" and "feminine" and removed gender on character select screen, it's a small insignificant change, sure, but I see it everytime I load into Destiny and it just rubs me the wrong way

Also in the russian version of the client game now defaults to male pronouns and variations of titles (they are gendered in russian), it's beyond lame. Like, who wanted this?
For me, I thought it made sense as you can be a robot and robots don't have an actual gender.

Dthomp

I agree with you that it is likely a small and insignificant change, but odds are it's just more of the fun times we live in today with these west coast companies all trying to out....woke? eachother. Not sure that's the right phrasing, but many of these tech and game companies just want to pander for the social media attention they all crave.

VertigoOA

Banned
Bungie is good at pandering whether it’s genuine for not.

Once they realized that strike symbol fist could be colored black and sold as an emblem for “charity” ... lol

I even bought that australia shirt for wildfires... it went to charity... I just liked the design.

I do find that they know how to keep this stuff out of the actual game’s content and stay petty neutral... which to me... is a good move.

Last edited:

Mithos

Darth Vader ..... Noooooooooo...

I was wondering why I was running out of ammo so damn fast....
My generic special/heavy ammo finder mods is NO MORE....

VertigoOA

Banned
Mods have changed up my build quite a bit but I’m loving how powerful I am for pve content thanks to that exotic change. My pvp build is a bit broken but I’m gonna try to work on that. For reasons I can’t explain just yet, both my mark and boots will probably have the +20 strength and the +20 mobility powerful friends mods. I kinda want to say it’s because after the necessary mods I run on both of those items, I’m still left with 4+ energy on masterworked armor for some nuttier.

+10 resilience for that one Titan aspect too. First one I chose.

The buildingcrafting game has really stepped up after this whole year of new gimmick mods and latest exotic changes.

At this point, the Warmind and Rasputin weapons are the best pve weapons and load outs in the game. I’m glad I farmed the shit out of them.

As of today, D2 is ranked 3rd on Xbox love’s weekly charts. It’ll be interesting to see where it stands Wednesday one week after launch. D2 could be the biggest winner of series x launch at least.

Last edited:

Mithos

So...
Today I went to the tower, picked up my dailies of Banshee-44.

1. bow kills
2. void kills
3. fusion kills
4. heavy grenade kills

So I equipped;

Whispering Slab (primary) for #1
Gnawing Hunger (energy void) for #2
The Colony (heavy) for #4

Went to the EDZ, and started with my bow...
It progressed BOTH #1 and #3.

My bow counted as a fusion rifle and bow at the same time.

Glitchy update this Beyond Light. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been playing all week and I have come around like I always do. I’m enjoying ice powers on my warlock but didnt care to much for them on my brothers Titian so sticking with Solar (unless I need it for something).

I love No time to Explain, my new fav gun for sure. The shallow loot pool hasn’t bothered me to much, my current weapons are still useable so good for a few more seasons at least. Hope by the time they are done I get something worth swapping to.

VertigoOA

Banned
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5f982f1fb42e84de89261a3d%2F0x0.jpg

Let’s see what this week brings. Seasonal
Content drops eh? The return of Uldren finally.

They seem to really like Osiris eh?

Dibbs

I really like the new expansion. I dont have all the time in the world to play so D2 suits me perfectly right now. Sunsetting could've been handled so much better tho.

Lanrutcon

Internet has been down for a bit (right after I exploited to cap). So I haven't had much time to actually play, hopefully that changes soon. Any of the new exotics any good? The shotgun is bleh.

Dthomp

Context and explanation?

That is one of the Last Wish Raid bosses being instantly killed via the Warlock Stasis Super. I assume it's one or two dudes freezing him and the rest just using the shatter part of the super. Crazy OP damage, same thing is going on with Gambit bosses, and I would assume every boss in the game

Lanrutcon

Ah, ok. It's the overload bug again. Basically if you stack enough damage in a short enough period the server freaks out and the math goes to hell. They won't let this be live when the raid is released.

Dthomp

Bleh, I hate the season pass model. I dug the story and liked where things were going, then done. You get one new mission this week that was neat (apparently you need to read the comic to know Sagira is dead), and then it just unlocks another fucking vendor you level up and do the same shit you did for the Recaster/Seraph Towers/Etc. That is not content, I'm sorry. Doing a bunch of Strikes/Crucible/Gambit to load up the thing is even more painful. This DLC once you finish the 2 hour campaign is a dud, it's basically just another season pass where you'll load in at reset play for an hour and be bored. They added a few more power drops, not that they are super necessary since everybody gonna be 1250 by next week. I wanted to go for worlds first, but since asshats have already glitched their way into the raid they have better knowledge of whats going on with each room, and the supers as seen above are completely borked in damage output so there is that too.

Warnen

I have the most fun with destiny when I don’t have these dumb ass quest to do (unlocking the ice stuff in strikes and quest). I actually played a game of gambit not trying to ignore everything and just do quest stuff and I went up like 1%. These quest make it so you actively have to hurt your team to do them and steal each other’s kills.

best way to do the strike one is just to leave and the team behind and go to a lost sector.

its so stupid. I gotta take a step back and rethink why I’m playing this time sink.

Dthomp

I have the most fun with destiny when I don’t have these dumb ass quest to do (unlocking the ice stuff in strikes and quest). I actually played a game of gambit not trying to ignore everything and just do quest stuff and I went up like 1%. These quest make it so you actively have to hurt your team to do them and steal each other’s kills.

best way to do the strike one is just to leave and the team behind and go to a lost sector.

its so stupid. I gotta take a step back and rethink why I’m playing this time sink.

Yeah it took way to many strikes for me to get three fills of the new thing because like you said, much like bounties they harm your ability to play and have fun and you just fight over kills. May be best to load into 1250 NF and just go to Cosmodrome and kill shit (Just don't die)

Warnen

Yeah it took way to many strikes for me to get three fills of the new thing because like you said, much like bounties they harm your ability to play and have fun and you just fight over kills. May be best to load into 1250 NF and just go to Cosmodrome and kill shit (Just don't die)

yeah might give that a try

Dthomp

yeah might give that a try

I haven't read patch notes, but if they didn't "fix" the loot cave that's where I'd go. The garage to the left when you enter the Divide on Cosmodrome has almost infinite ads spawning out, but like I said keep distance in the garage and don't die

TheMan

My favorite part of destiny has always been the strikes. How many are in the game now? How many were added in the new expansion specifically?

Dthomp

My favorite part of destiny has always been the strikes. How many are in the game now? How many were added in the new expansion specifically?

I don't have the list handy of what left but so far all we got was one new one (The Gateway) which is actually a really good strike and feels like a D1 strike boss room (Not just an open arena with nowhere to hide). And we got a Revamp? of Omnigul (New Boss and Boss Room, otherwise same strike). We will get back Fallen Saber and Sepiks at some point this year. Very lacking part of the game (Strikes)

TheMan

I don't have the list handy of what left but so far all we got was one new one (The Gateway) which is actually a really good strike and feels like a D1 strike boss room (Not just an open arena with nowhere to hide). And we got a Revamp? of Omnigul (New Boss and Boss Room, otherwise same strike). We will get back Fallen Saber and Sepiks at some point this year. Very lacking part of the game (Strikes)

This is really disappointing to hear. There really needs to be more co op content with built in matchmaking

Warnen

I haven't read patch notes, but if they didn't "fix" the loot cave that's where I'd go. The garage to the left when you enter the Divide on Cosmodrome has almost infinite ads spawning out, but like I said keep distance in the garage and don't die

got it done but ended up doing the run away from team and solo lost sector thing, strike play list has melee recharge today.

Guess I’ll just stick with the strike one, don’t like gambit and pvp to put up with the requirement lol.

did some grinding today while I have the day off. just got around to doing the new Hunt thing, and right away they tell me Sagira got destroyed? fuck off Bungie! between Osiris and Sagira, I would rather have Osiris dead. Sagira actually had a personality and is the only fun thing when the 2 of them were introduced. if you're going to kill her off, at least put some more effort into it instead of just killing her off offscreen and then just mention it a couple times.

Dthomp

did some grinding today while I have the day off. just got around to doing the new Hunt thing, and right away they tell me Sagira got destroyed? fuck off Bungie! between Osiris and Sagira, I would rather have Osiris dead. Sagira actually had a personality and is the only fun thing when the 2 of them were introduced. if you're going to kill her off, at least put some more effort into it instead of just killing her off offscreen and then just mention it a couple times.

It's worse, I'm pretty sure they killed her off in one of their stupid web series stories or comics. FFS, you are a VIDEO GAME MAKER, put that shit in the game to make me angry/sad/care. You're right, Osiris is useless, a once legend that we wondered about to realizing he's just your old ass grandpa

Trogdor1123

It's worse, I'm pretty sure they killed her off in one of their stupid web series stories or comics. FFS, you are a VIDEO GAME MAKER, put that shit in the game to make me angry/sad/care. You're right, Osiris is useless, a once legend that we wondered about to realizing he's just your old ass grandpa
This is very true. I was kinda pissed at this. I assumed it wasn't true, just a misunderstanding.... Nope.

Top Bottom