• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers on why Indiana Jones is First Person: "First-person gameplay is part of MachineGames’ DNA"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah yes, the one guy who does everything to make a game like this.

Also: I bet if you ask this guy he would tell you he's not the guy he was 20 years ago. This whole "from the same devs:" thing is wildly overblown especially as the industry has gotten so much bigger and these devs have gotten older.

Yes, no one expects literally every single contractor who worked on Butchers Bay to be here.

But the lead designer and founders on the projects will probably know a thing or two about what made those games good.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This thread is about Indiana Jones and I'll stick to that so I don't get banned. Read the OP, that's what we're talking about. I think it's ridiculous. I'm not talking about Halo GOTY or Starfield.
You are talking about this forum having an anti-Xbox bias and that being the reason that people are shitting on indy being third person. I pointed out polls and goty lists that show that this forum prefers BOTH xbox first party games AND third person game. This literally destroys your argument about this forum having an anti-xbox bias and that being the reason indy is being criticized for being third person.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So it is not in the service of the game, but for the developers' own comfort zone.

Ubisoft also made Avatar first-person so they could copy "Far Cry" more easily. It seems like Machine Games have a similar approach here.

adamsapple

So it is not in the service of the game, but for the developers' own comfort zone.

Sounds like they're making the game to the service of the experience.

“Our game is about putting you in the shoes of an iconic hero. Since we are doing this mostly in first-person, you have the chance to truly become Indy. First-person makes you part of this world – allowing you to explore and experience things more intimately. What will you do when you’re dropped into this adventure with your wits and your whip? The world of Indiana Jones is a world with mysteries around every corner, where you’re racing against the clock and outsmarting your enemies as you hunt down artifacts.”

What better studios are there to do a game of me (as a player) against WW2 germans?

Media Molecule, duh.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Sounds like you suck at making games.

Bitch please. If you polled 100 people if they wanted this in third or first, they would’ve had a major win for third.

Good luck with the game but it ain’t for me to be in first person flailing a whip like a Jack ass. Make this a $20 VR game instead and you’d see more interest.

This could’ve stood shoulder to shoulder with uncharted and tomb raider if done right.
tom cruise laughing GIF

Deerock71

Went over to YouTube and watched some clips of the Chronicles of Riddick game I was crazy about back in the day. Knew I remembered right that they also switched to third person for cinematics and traversal stuff.

Basically same devs, and if they capture the same magic as that title, we’re in for a classic.

On a related note, seems like a low hanging fruit for someone to remake Riddick…I’m not sure it’s playable on any console these days.
Ohhhh fuck. They did Riddick?! I'm more hyped than ever now. That was one licensed game that gave Goldeneye a run for it's money.

ManaByte

On a related note, seems like a low hanging fruit for someone to remake Riddick…I’m not sure it’s playable on any console these days.
Unfortunately, the rights are a nightmare with it.

The funny thing is, MS almost could've owned the game at this point. It was published by Vivendi Universal. They eventually became Activision Blizzard.

But Activision Blizzard sold the PC remake (Dark Athena) rights to ATARI. Who still retains them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He said so when they bought Tomb Raider timed.

and then no one bought tomb raider, which was a great game.....

Well, it's another Xbox game thats "cursed" within the first 24 hours of being unveiled....I wonder what it takes to breakthrough.

I guess it has to be everyone wants it to be but also not be what others are doing, but should be like that, and should have a 500 million pound budget and also be an interactive cinematic game, but also be deep and but also be like a Naughty Dog game but don't copy anyone, and sure as shit don't do anything original but also be an completely original experience I can't get on Playstation or why would I even bother to buy an XBox when I could just play uncharted but should also just be uncharted 4....

....Now check out this gif of uncharted 4!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Unfortunately, the rights are a nightmare with it.

The funny thing is, MS almost could've owned the game at this point. It was published by Vivendi Universal. They eventually became Activision Blizzard.

But Activision Blizzard sold the PC remake (Dark Athena) rights to ATARI. Who still retains them.

What a damn waste.

I get it - they want to stick to their DNA and remind everyone they're the ones who made Wolfenstein Youngblood.

Seriously though it is a bit disappointing. Was expecting a third-person action adventure.

I think I'd much rather FPS from Machine Games than TPS. Have they even made a TPS?

FPS is definitely their B&B and I have faith it will be a solid experience like most of their other games!

Sethbacca

You are talking about this forum having an anti-Xbox bias and that being the reason that people are shitting on indy being third person. I pointed out polls and goty lists that show that this forum prefers BOTH xbox first party games AND third person game. This literally destroys your argument about this forum having an anti-xbox bias and that being the reason indy is being criticized for being third person.
The thought of whether a game is on Xbox or not doesn't even enter into the thought process of what my knee jerk reaction to a game is when I see it. I can imagine that's true of most people.

BlackTron

It just takes a small amount of loud people to start a negative narrative. The overwhelming silent majority votes without interacting here. Don't gaslight me with this bullshit.

This is literally gaslighting bullshit. Guy posts proof that people give Xbox games a fair chance and this is what you come out with?

They got Plague Tale on GP day 1 and it didn't change much for them. Guardians of the Galaxy and Tomb Raider are probably the 2nd closest. That didn't change anything for them either and both of those studios had to be sold off. Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity was a famous debacle for Xbox. There's no better example of an Xbox tax than that. They had to literally apologize for it and tell everyone how long it was exclusive because of repeated interviews just like this one. They are smart to just focus on what they do well and do their own thing, imho. Hellblade is obviously going for the cinematic graphics crown, and I really don't need more than 1 game like that a whole generation.
This thread is about Indiana Jones and I'll stick to that so I don't get banned. Read the OP, that's what we're talking about. I think it's ridiculous. I'm not talking about Halo GOTY or Starfield.

LOL.

JackMcGunns

So basically not for the benefit of the game, but to fit into the narrow mold of the developer. How dull.

Haha, I get what you're saying, but it doesn't have to be if you like first person. Most people I talk to love the fact that it's in first person, something fresh, not another Uncharted but something new. That being said, in the decision making, someone may have said those exact words and then thought, who can we give this to? who can create a great first person experience in the Indiana Jones universe?

I got it!! 💡 MachineGames!! it's in their DNA!

Last edited:

adamsapple

That just makes me want to play The Darkness lol

I love that the DNA from their past work seems to be all over this

We need a Starbreeze renaissance up in here

How's Dark Athena on modern Windows? Works without any issues?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is literally gaslighting bullshit. Guy posts proof that people give Xbox games a fair chance and this is what you come out with?

LOL.
Anytime you start doing any kind of meta commentary you maybe can get away with a post or two and then you'll get banned. So I'm done. You can keep laughing cause I don't give a shit. I don't think you could pay me to talk about Starfield on here much outside the OT.

Polls don't prove anything and have never been a representation of what I'm even talking about. I remember tons of people trying to point out how far right the politics forum was on here and getting the same kind of responses, with polls about political affiliation telling people it was all in their head, right up until the whole thing got nuked after Jan. 6th, and all the people that disproportionately set that tone banned. You can literally just have 20 people set a tone if they post constantly. Polling is not representative of what I'm referring to at all and gets lots of responses from silent users, and even that is hardly accurate or representative of anything. If you want to accurately monitor what I'm talking about you can do a tone analysis of most threads, and posts and just simply rate them positive or negative like they do in media analysis.

Mr Hyde

This gives me Metroid Prime vibes. Puzzles, dungeons, and big set pieces.

I can definitely see the similarities. And Metroid Prime was super controversial for its first person perspective at the time of its release. We could look at a similar situation here with Indy. Hopefully Machinegames comes out on top and proves everyone wrong, just as Retro Studios did.

Last edited:

Vick

I guess it has to be everyone wants it to be but also not be what others are doing, but should be like that, and should have a 500 million pound budget and also be an interactive cinematic game, but also be deep and but also be like a Naughty Dog game but don't copy anyone, and sure as shit don't do anything original but also be an completely original experience I can't get on Playstation or why would I even bother to buy an XBox when I could just play uncharted but should also just be uncharted 4....
See Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Feels weird to agree with you but you're spot on. They weren't going to win no matter what and did the best thing they could.

People thinking this studio was out of the blue going to deliver something on par with unlimited budget products made by people specialized for decades in making the best Indiana Jones clones the industry can provide were delusional fools.
Just as delusional as those thinking Xbox needed these sort of comparisons in a time like this.

Instead they now got a true Indiana Jones exclusive that also plays differently than the competition's Indiana Jones clone.
Win win for everyone involved, including gamers who already played those clones for decades.

That just makes me want to play The Darkness lol
That just makes me want to play Indiana Jones and the Great Circle honestly.

I need this game asap. Please let us have a physical version, and even better a Collector's Edition.

Last edited:
Honestly I was kinda wanting it to be in first person before the reveal. Exploring ruins and stuff with the details and everything could be really immersive if done right. I’d rather have someone else take a crack at a FP Adventure game when so few devs do.

Also if this was third person everyone would be complaining that it was just going to be an Uncharted/Tomb Raider clone. I’d rather have a more unique take on the genre.

Still the last few Wolfensteins were kinda meh, so I’m only gonna be cautiously optimistic about this at best.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So basically to cut corners because you couldn't be arsed with collision detection.
We know this true because developers have admitted it.

Ozriel

M$FT
When most people think of Indiana Jones in game form, they will and I think rightfully so think of Tomb Raider and Uncharted. I've played a lot of Indiana Jones video games over the years and the best parts of the games historically have been the puzzles, but I don't really think that's enough for a AAA game in 2024. This seems like Wolfenstein with Indiana Jones as a playable character.

Same way everyone thought Cyberpunk had to be a third person game. And yet.

The part about a first person adventure game with puzzles and stealth not being a good enough premise for an AAA budget is just hilarious.

So the overwhelming silent majority who voted for Starfield over Spiderman 2 counts but the overwhelming silent majority that said they like third person over first person dont? What?

Also, isnt starfield still mostly negative on steam. Is that silent majority or no?

NUqllcm.jpg

B..but first person bad!! Disrespecting the IP! It’s not what people wanted when it was announced!

Zuzu

It would’ve been nice if this project had have been given to The Coalition. Then they could’ve taken a break from Gears and the game probably could’ve been 3rd person since The Coalition are experienced and skilled with that perspective. And it’d likely be a graphics showpiece since they would probably make it in Unreal 5. But it was started before Bethesda was a part of MS, so it wasn’t possible. Oh well, hopefully it is good.

BlackTron

Anytime you start doing any kind of meta commentary you maybe can get away with a post or two and then you'll get banned. So I'm done. You can keep laughing cause I don't give a shit. I don't think you could pay me to talk about Starfield on here much outside the OT.

Polls don't prove anything and have never been a representation of what I'm even talking about. I remember tons of people trying to point out how far right the politics forum was on here and getting the same kind of responses, with polls about political affiliation telling people it was all in their head, right up until the whole thing got nuked after Jan. 6th, and all the people that disproportionately set that tone banned. You can literally just have 20 people set a tone if they post constantly. Polling is not representative of what I'm referring to at all and gets lots of responses from silent users, and even that is hardly accurate or representative of anything. If you want to accurately monitor what I'm talking about you can do a tone analysis of most threads, and posts and just simply rate them positive or negative like they do in media analysis.

Afraid of meta commentary so...start talking about the politics nuke. Better than Halo or Starfield, right?

Deeply concerned for your mental health right now.

Ozriel

M$FT
Ah yes, the one guy who does everything to make a game like this.

Also: I bet if you ask this guy he would tell you he's not the guy he was 20 years ago. This whole "from the same devs:" thing is wildly overblown especially as the industry has gotten so much bigger and these devs have gotten older.

From Wikipedia

lnGZTuP.jpg

You’ll have to argue that lots of the folks who made Riddick and The Darkness have suddenly forgotten how to make immersive first person games.

‘One guy’ indeed 🤣

//DEVIL//

Machinegames have earned the rights to do whatever they want to do. these guys release awesome games and I have complete faith in them..

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All I can hope is that this game scores incredibly well with reviewers and ends up being an amazing game.

It's on machine games to turn these none believers into believers.

If will be lovely, if we get people saying "Ok, I was one of those that said this should have been third person...But holy shit it's brilliant and I'm glad they did what they did"

One can hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom