• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deviation Games Has Shut Down - Ex CoD Devs, Were Creating New IP for PlayStation

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I know that there is nothing funny about devs loosing their jobs, but I find it hilarious that Deviation shilled so much for PlayStation that they plastered PS Logos all around the studio despite being independent and now Sony dumped them without mercy.

Some people or studio really love Sony on an unhealthy level

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know that there is nothing funny about devs loosing their jobs, but I find it hilarious that Deviation shilled so much for PlayStation that they plastered PS Logos all around the studio despite being independent and now Sony dumped them without mercy.

Abandoned got a dedicated teaser/trailer app for PS5, I don't think even any of their first party app has ever had so far.

splattered

Daaamn.

Guess it isn't needed now that Ms and Sony struck a deal to keep cod on Playstation for the time being? What i really want from Sony is something different like a new warhawk or twisted metal.

Last edited:
40Oz Pour One Out GIF

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Daaamn.

Guess it isn't needed now that Ms and Sony struck a deal to keep cod on Playstation for the time being? What i really want from Sony is something different like a new warhawk or twisted metal.

More than likely, the project wasn't doing well.

One of the Co-Founders left before Playstation backed out. Startups have risks, and if the Studio wasn't doing what they had hoped, time to cut your losses and move on. It's part of the risk with venture capital.

The other studio, Firewalk, is apparently doing just fine with Concord. It's a major release for Sony still.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Blundell and some others left Deviation before the layoffs. Apparently, they are at PlayStation now. When Deviation laid off all those people last year it was a pretty good indication the studio wouldn't survive.

There has been poor quality control at PS Studios. Some of the acquisitions are questionable, to say the least.

The current "videogames crisis" seems to impact a certain type of Western studio:

- New age offices.

- Outdoor activities.

- Lots of breakfasts and lunches. These people are always hungry.

- A nice variety of hairdos, colors and pronouns.

Deviation, Half Molecule, Heaven, Pixel...etc. I can't tell one from the other. To me, they are like Ubisoft's NPCs and get recycled as such.

JaksGhost

There has been poor quality control at PS Studios. Some of the acquisitions are questionable, to say the least.

The current "videogames crisis" seems to impact a certain type of Western studio:

- New age offices.

- Outdoor activities.

Deviation, Half Molecule, Heaven, Pixel...etc. I can't tell one from the other. To me, they are like Ubisoft's NPCs and get recycled as such.
This isn’t a PS studio tho.

Varteras

Gold Member
We all played golf and left early last week, is the idea of company outings and remote work so foreign to people on GAF that seeing people with them triggers something?

I mean the game was canceled, huge layoffs hit, now the studio is closed, and this was all they ever had to show for existing. A website that almost felt like a brochure for outdoor activities. Kinda makes one wonder how things were ran.

Kerotan

- New age offices.

- Outdoor activities.

Time to set up more studios in eastern Europe. Let the freaks rot.

This studio isn't needed anymore now that COD is guaranteed on playstation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
hero.jpg

always a good sign when the founder leaves before you ship a game and youre doing shit like this ^
Their website is still up.

It looks like they partied and making games is the last thing on their mind. They even got a swag shop selling Deviation branded soccer jerseys. Sure, proceeds say it goes to charity, but it looks like they put a lot of effort into their website.

They even got Deviation branded tshirts and baseball cap too if youre interested. lol

Last edited:

Bkdk

They at least learn to cut their losses after what happened to immortals of avenum, it's high risk low reward so better lose less money.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

- New age offices.

- Outdoor activities.

This isn't fair.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At Deviation, we dance. We bowl. We watch movies. We dress and look like douches. We don't actually end up making anything!
Amazingly, googling it says they got up and running in 2020, and in spring 2023 Sony canceled their game. In the fall there was already rumours they shut down, but somehow they lingered around until now as those Linkedin profiles says they closed last Friday.

Personally, I dont think they got anything up and running. The execs probably pitched some FPS ideas on a storyboard, Sony greenlit it as as they time they were desperate for a COD counter game to partner with. The deal fell through, and so does the game.

I wouldnt be surprised if they had basically nothing concrete even programmed yet. It probably was in some kind of pre-alpha alpha alpha mode.

Varteras

Gold Member
Amazingly, googling it says they got up and running in 2020, and in spring 2023 Sony canceled their game. In the fall there was already rumours they shut down, but somehow they lingered around until now as those Linkedin profiles says they closed last Friday.

Personally, I dont think they got anything up and running. The execs probably pitched some FPS ideas on a storyboard, Sony greenlit it as as they time they were desperate for a COD counter game to partner with. The deal fell through, and so does the game.

I wouldnt be surprised if they had basically nothing concrete even programmed yet. It probably was in some kind of pre-alpha alpha alpha mode.

Five years ago I would have called you crazy. But we've had more than enough stories in that time. 5-year pre-production disasters. Years-long development hells where a game got constantly changed because none of the leads could land on a clear vision together. Absolutely awful management by people who should have never been in charge of anything. If someone like Schreier, Henderson, Grubb, or Robinson drop news that Deviation never even really got started, I wouldn't doubt a word.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Five years ago I would have called you crazy. But we've had more than enough stories in that time. 5-year pre-production disasters. Years-long development hells where a game got constantly changed because none of the leads could land on a clear vision together. Absolutely awful management by people who should have never been in charge of anything. If someone like Schreier, Henderson, Grubb, or Robinson drop news that Deviation never even really got started, I wouldn't doubt a word.
In tech, there's a lot of money floating around. All it takes is a studio with a great idea to find a big corporate partner even if they got nothing concrete to show.

Other industries arent like this. If you had a great chocolate bar idea with nothing to show but a webpage and some napkin ideas, Nestle and Hershey isn't going to partner with you. Maybe give it a bunch of years proving you got some sales, a big upward trend and know what youre doing and they partner up or even buy you out, with the goal their huge scope of manufacturing, marketing and distribution points of sale can expand it from 300 stores to 300,000 around the world.

But in no way are they going to waste their time on a company that seems more interested in bowling and 3D movie night than proving they got some footing selling chocolate.

Varteras

Gold Member
In tech, there's a lot of money floating around. All it takes is a studio with a great idea to find a big corporate partner even if they got nothing concrete to show.

Other industries arent like this. If you had a great chocolate bar idea with nothing to show but a webpage and some napkin ideas, Nestle and Hershey isn't going to partner with you. Maybe give it a bunch of years proving you got some sales, a big upward trend and know what youre doing and they partner up or even buy you out, with the goal their huge scope of manufacturing, marketing and distribution points of sale can expand it from 300 stores to 300,000 around the world.

But in no way are they going to waste their time on a company that seems more interested in bowling and 3D movie night than proving they got some footing selling chocolate.

The merch got me more than anything else. Takes a special kind of cockiness and self-absorption to be a no-name company that hasn't released even a concept to the public and ask them to buy apparel with your logo. Your two claims to fame were being a partner to PlayStation and Jason Blundell being a founder. Who left your third-rate, after school activities, Dutch oven of a company when it probably became clear to him that his new baby was loaded with ambitionless rejects. I may be too harsh here, but I don't care.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We all played golf and left early last week, is the idea of company outings and remote work so foreign to people on GAF that seeing people with them triggers something?
I dont think it's a good idea for any company on shaky ground with zero products promoting to the masses their employees spend more time bowling, watching movies or tug of war.

The only thing on their website that even resembles productivity are some office cubes. And they havent even been used yet. A bunch of monitors coiled up and not hooked up to anything.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Honestly, I thought the studio was done after big round of layoffs last year and founders seemingly leaving the company for SIE. So no surprises here.

Top Bottom