• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control PS5 Vs Xbox Series X Raytracing Benchmark

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Drama Reaction GIF by moodman

Pull your pants up, queen. You've been balls deep in it.

I'm not exactly sure that Alex's test has yielded the proper metric he was hoping for, wasn't the understanding that the PS5 operates with variable frequencies and uses SmartShift, etc.? Allowing power and resources to divert to the GPU or CPU depending on the need (or lack thereof)?

So wouldn't it be an expected result that it might not have as much wasted overheard for RT performance if the target is just 30FPS?

At least from Cerny's presentation, that's the impression I got, it doesn't seem to indicate that the PS5 would be less performant, just that it's not wasting it's use of resources.

intbal

If Alex is right*, then all the youtubers need to re-do ALL of their performance analysis videos. Gaf needs new fighting material!

(*Rich said there was no patch and Alex said developers have told him that xbox driver updates have improved performance in their games. So, theoretically, lots of other games have improved.)

reksveks

If Alex is right*, then all the youtubers need to re-do ALL of their performance analysis videos. Gaf needs new fighting material!

(*Rich said there was no patch and Alex said developers have told him that xbox driver updates have improved performance in their games. So, theoretically, lots of other games have improved.)
Link?

reksveks

It's in the video they released today, where they tried a Series S SSD in a PS5.
Looks like updates to Series consoles have improved performance without actual patches for games.
Let me check my Patreon, ignore me my youtube app just didn't update with today's video yet

Last edited:

elliot5

It's in the video they released today, where they tried a Series S SSD in a PS5.
Looks like updates to Series consoles have improved performance without actual patches for games.
yeah apparently it launched in a development state and so the Xbox API layers or whatever have seen improvements, meaning there was "nothing wrong" with the Control software and it was the Xbox DirectX layer or otherwise causing the framerate drops. Would be interesting to see if there's been any change in titles that had drops before.

yeah apparently it launched in a development state and so the Xbox API layers or whatever have seen improvements, meaning there was "nothing wrong" with the Control software and it was the Xbox DirectX layer or otherwise causing the framerate drops. Would be interesting to see if there's been any change in titles that had drops before.
Hitman and Valhalla would be good tests. I really hope all the games run better now than the other guys just for the shit storm lols

Last edited:
Why? It would be hilarious. It doing nothing is boring. I want some excitement. Next month Sony can do something to be better. I don't care. Just want the fun of it. Reading the garbage and so on. You know the reason pretty much everyone is here.
And DF didn't need analytic software to determine the difference? RL just noticed it? There you go. Frame rate has a more noticeable impact on a game than resolution does.

Frame rate is King.....

Gus Sorola Yes GIF by Rooster Teeth
100% agree, but I do wonder if vrr was on.

LordOfChaos

Huhh. I honest to god thought graphics mode locked to 30fps on console. It just *feels* so much more sluggish, there has to be something else going on. There's something weird with this engine where it gets all smeary at lower framerates too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huhh. I honest to god thought graphics mode locked to 30fps on console. It just *feels* so much more sluggish, there has to be something else going on. There's something weird with this engine where it gets all smeary at lower framerates too.

Yeah, the fidelity mode feels terrible in this game. I gave up RT for 60fps in a heartbeat. Game still looks really good.

Last edited:

Banned

it is locked, that's the issue. it unlocks as soon as you open up Photo mode, and in photo mode the Xbox hangs usually above 48fps, which would be more than enough for almost every VRR capable TV to adjust for. and even if it goes below that, set your Xbox to 120hz and your VRR window gets dropped as low as 24hz thanks to frame doubling.

the developers should give an option to unlock the framerate in graphics mode so that users with VRR screens can actually use that mode. it's barely playable in its current state. that 30fps feels so sluggish it's unbearable.

AGRacing

I've been having issues with some games not installing , etc. I watched this DF video.... In light of the crew explaining the system OS wasn't quite ready for prime time at launch..... I had a feeling I should do a total reset on the console. All quirks and installation issues are totally solved.

If you got your console around launch I'd recommend a format/wipe/reset.

PaintTinJr

And DF didn't need analytic software to determine the difference? RL just noticed it? There you go. Frame rate has a more noticeable impact on a game than resolution does.

Frame rate is King.....

Gus Sorola Yes GIF by Rooster Teeth
bernie mac praise GIF
Happy Sunday Yes GIF by NdubisiOkoye
But do you really believe they were randomly playing Control - again - with all the other stuff they could be doing, and felt a smoother frame-rate ? because I suspect they were either doing commissioned work for Xbox to assess the improvement in the Xbox firmware, or they've been commissioned to do this to re-promote Control.

It sets a dangerous precedent for them and makes all their analysis opinion redundant beyond the 10mins after they do a video IMHO, as they are admitting that every game or game update they've ever tested - all the way back to the 360/PS3 gen - is unlikely to yield the results they pour pages of text nit picking on, because every time a new firmware arrives on a console, every game needs tested again.

Testing games at launch and after game updates tells the consumer something, to inform the quality of work by the developer. Selectively testing a game after a system update feels like a pointless endeavour as the next system update could just as easily alter that result, and creates a factorial to infinity level workload to provide gamers with accurate info about their game's current performance on their consoles.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's direct Xbox afterall...

Dream-Knife

Banned
But do you really believe they were randomly playing Control - again - with all the other stuff they could be doing, and felt a smoother frame-rate ? because I suspect they were either doing commissioned work for Xbox to assess the improvement in the Xbox firmware, or they've been commissioned to do this to re-promote Control.

It sets a dangerous precedent for them and makes all their analysis opinion redundant beyond the 10mins after they do a video IMHO, as they are admitting that every game or game update they've ever tested - all the way back to the 360/PS3 gen - is unlikely to yield the results they pour pages of text nit picking on, because every time a new firmware arrives on a console, every game needs tested again.

Testing games at launch and after game updates tells the consumer something, to inform the quality of work by the developer. Selectively testing a game after a system update feels like a pointless endeavour as the next system update could just as easily alter that result, and creates a factorial to infinity level workload to provide gamers with accurate info about their game's current performance on their consoles.
Performance changes with graphics card updates too. It's just a piece of the puzzle. Static updates don't really make much sense in the era of online updates for consoles and games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

True. There will also be an expectation that DF will revisit Control (or other games where PS5 had the disadvantage) after PS5 gets an update. Of course, they won't do it, and there will be a (valid) backlash.

PaintTinJr

Performance changes with graphics card updates too. It's just a piece of the puzzle. Static updates don't really make much sense in the era of online updates for consoles and games.
Of course, but what is the "puzzle" you speak of in this context?

With Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox have full certification processes for games releasing, if the results of DF are fleeting, what purpose does their channel even have beyond fuelling wars?

Or are we to say that platform holders certification has been incompetent since the dawn of DF? Or if not, are we saying the people that make the games and choose to release, after passing certification are wrong, immoral or incompetent - like it appeared in the Cyberpunk situation?

This type of analysis feels more like the pitch for no longer needing DF for anything in the console space, except John's great retro work IMO,

FireFly

The DF guys literally said they couldn't remember another time a system level update had changed performance in this way. If you disagree with them and think it's a common occurrence, you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.

However in any case, DF regularly provide updated performance videos for both platforms, so this is nothing new for them. It's not exactly clear to me how providing more information to users that helps them make better choices is "pointless". But perhaps there is something I am missing.

With Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox have full certification processes for games releasing, if the results of DF are fleeting, what purpose does their channel even have beyond fuelling wars?

Or are we to say that platform holders certification has been incompetent since the dawn of DF?
Perhaps you could explain how the fact a title has been certified tells users how it will perform?

Last edited:
The DF guys literally said they couldn't remember another time a system level update had changed performance in this way. If you disagree with them and think it's a common occurrence, you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.

However in any case, DF regularly provide updated performance videos for both platforms, so this is nothing new for them. It's not exactly clear to me how providing more information to users that helps them make better choices is "pointless". But perhaps there is something I am missing.

Perhaps you could explain how the fact a title has been certified tells users how it will perform?
Have all games improved then? Or is it just a few?

I don't think there has been any confirmation on that yet. However Rich said the video was made for a "project", so that perhaps implies more games will be benchmarked.
Thing was the tools situation that DF were told about by developers ages ago was laughed at by the PS crowd, so this will be very interesting if games have improved across the board.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Alex says developers have spoken to him about performance increases so it sounds like more than just Control.
Hopefully the feature they are doing will highlight a few improvements.

Suddenly you care about old/cross-gen games. Before this when PS5 had the better overall performance in almost every game so far you acted like a clown. “Old games, don’t matter”.

I really don’t like the idea to re-re-revisit a game based on this, as if we haven’t see enough of this mediocre game already.

Games improve on every device with system level updates, api or driver level. It’s nothing new or shocking.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is what I have been saying it, and it's not really a "driver" it's more like a "compiler" for the...alright that's just semantics. But basically what is called "performance stack".

It was same situation at late 2016 with X1X and KC: D was build initially on nightly builds of XDK, that's why the Xbox version was probably worst one at the release.

But still, year later almost, it's really as if these consoles should have been released this year.

Embarrassing for MS and what is worse, happened again.

And no Hitman flower field is not effected by this, unless patched.

All in all I really really like XSX, but just looking at official info released by MS with insider builds suggest, that software is wonky at best. And if you don't believe me, see how many games does not support Quick Resume, even at the system level it should not be problem to freeze/pause any vm. They are simply doing still something around memory architecture and games which are larger in RAM than certain threshold simply does not support this stuff. My take, does not have to be truth, but I have some info obviously.

I hope this info is not under NDA, but meh, I was told, not that I actually see with my own eyes release notes of GDK.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

If the video maker is just clear about the patch and firmware version, why worry? Hopefully people understand things change over time.

Also, it's funny to see the usual suspects come out to flex and celebrate such an incremental improvement when the game performance was already pretty good.

Riky

$MSFT
Suddenly you care about old/cross-gen games. Before this when PS5 had the better overall performance in almost every game so far you acted like a clown. “Old games, don’t matter”.

I really don’t like the idea to re-re-revisit a game based on this, as if we haven’t see enough of this mediocre game already.

Games improve on every device with system level updates, api or driver level. It’s nothing new or shocking.

Quote me when I said "old games, don't matter" or is that just another in a long list of lies?

Top Bottom