• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Special dedicated to Starfield

JimboJones

5FB6CQ0.jpg
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. This is not it my dude 😅

Last edited:

TonyK

I understand that there are people tired of so much Starfield covering, but in my case I enjoy this type of gaming celebrations, when something is big and brings tons of hype and controversy. It remembers me E3 times. I wish it occured often.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am not the one succumbing to paranoia and delusions like the same group of people who post in these threads just because their box.of choice didn't get a game they want. 🤷
It's not paranoia and delusions, HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 explained many times what has been going on. Especially with MS's own goals with DF.

Access journalism is also a real that has been a thing for decades and decades in all facets of industries.

We even have a thread here to show how it can be,

That is only the tip of it. We forget the 8.8 controversy with Gerstamann?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
*puts on tinfoil hat 🤓* I'm sure there review of Spiderman 2 will be totally unbiased cause they had correspondence with Mark Cerny.
Potato, potato… but since I am talking with the band that compared Activision-Blizzard + Bethesda to Psygnosys 20 years or so ago… sure ;). (Correspondence vs being flown over and going to publisher organised closed door events to get first exclusive access, totally the same thing)

I am sure all other games get only compared to the previous titles the publisher made and we forget that say we have SSD’s now and DirectStorage and the promise of loading screen free games was not exactly kept by the biggest first party release by MS in some time… things like that will be noted by DF ;).

Senua

Gold Member
If anything I hope a user mod gets released on console that attempts to do it.
There's a great optimisation mod the consoles could definitely use if they release an unlocked mode

Last edited by a moderator:

proandrad

DF has become the game developer defense force as of lately. They claimed Horizon FW was a technical masterpiece when it took the developers months to polish the performance mode and tried to excuse latest Star Wars performance mode as too next gen for players to expect a solid framerate. I expect them to continue giving game developers the benefit of the doubt to keep their access.

Senua

Gold Member
DF has become the game developer defense force as of lately. They claimed Horizon FW was a technical masterpiece when it took the developers months to polish the performance mode and tried to excuse latest Star Wars performance mode as too next gen for players to expect a solid framerate. I expect them to continue giving game developers the benefit of the doubt to keep their access.
Lately? They've always been this way. Same with GPU reviews, they are always the most positive out of the big channels

Zathalus

If DF is bought out by MS they are doing a rather bad job of it. With the constant praise they do of PS5 hardware and games, pointing out all the games the PS5 does better in (even when most people were not aware of it) and always having multiple PS games in the yearly best graphics videos. They certainly had no issue pointing out all the times the PS4 trounced the One.

If anything they are very mild in the criticism of everyone as they really don't want to step on anyone's toes. The coverage they do of most things (PC ports excluded) are overly positive. Spider-Man 2 was getting blasted here in Gaf for not being the massive upgrade in visuals that some were expecting but DF was extremely positive regarding the changes.

Senua

Gold Member
If DF is bought out by MS they are doing a rather bad job of it. With the constant praise they do of PS5 hardware and games, pointing out all the games the PS5 does better in (even when most people were not aware of it) and always having multiple PS games in the yearly best graphics videos. They certainly had no issue pointing out all the times the PS4 trounced the One.

If anything they are very mild in the criticism of everyone as they really don't want to step on anyone's toes. The coverage they do of most things (PC ports excluded) are overly positive. Spider-Man 2 was getting blasted here in Gaf for not being the massive upgrade in visuals that some were expecting but DF was extremely positive regarding the changes.
Bingo!

proandrad

Lately? They've always been this way. Same with GPU reviews, they are always the most positive out of the big channels
Maybe I just haven’t been paying enough attention. I used to use their recommendations for game purchases. Nowadays smaller YouTubers like gamingtech are putting out more informative and accurate analysis.

Elysium44

Banned

This is the thing, if they are taking 'sides' it's the sides of the publishers and developers who give them access and freebies like the trip to America. It is understandable that you don't want to bite the hands that feed, when you have bills to pay.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What is the point of OTs if we make a thread for every news/video/rumor about Starfield ?
Information gets lost in OTs cuz OPs dont make threadmarks.
Plus this is a DF video, unless we make a DF OT I think every major DF video will get a thread.

Senua

Gold Member
Maybe I just haven’t been paying enough attention. I used to use their recommendations for game purchases. Nowadays smaller YouTubers like gamingtech are putting out more informative and accurate analysis.
Basically any criticism is followed up with a "but" to put a positive spin on things, this is just the DF way and always has been, like Zathalus said Alex is the only one who really goes really hard on criticism. Which is great but it sucks he's so irritating in his execution usually

I don't get it. The game looks like shit just like FFXVI and BG3. These games are supposed to be "next gen" only not "cross gen"

Zathalus

This is the thing, if they are taking 'sides' it's the sides of the publishers and developers who give them access and freebies like the trip to America. It is understandable that you don't want to bite the hands that feed, when you have bills to pay.
What trip to America?

Montauk

What is the bizarre obsession with Digital Foundry here?

What is the point of these threads when they always devolve into cesspools of seething impotent anger and wild conspiracy theories?

There’s nothing weird or unusual about DF doing a long video on one game. There is currently A LOT of interest in the technical performance of this game on all platforms.

These videos take a while to make. What are you even accusing them of? Do you even know anymore?

Is somebody forcing you to watch DF videos when they came out and then froth at the mouth while writing hundreds of petty, bitter comments?

The irony of it all is that these guys are well liked and well regarded in the industry. That they’re professionals who do a good job, with a sense of humour.

What is with this bizarre hate campaign against them for, years and years now?

They've been like this as long as I can remember. I used to be called various insults for suggesting this but I can't stand DF for this reason. Only person there passionate enough about gaming to risk upsetting the devs/pubs is Alex with PC. John and Richard could've done some good for console gaming if they had a backbone.

Lokaum D+

Hah, it's gone down since a couple of hours ago when I checked. Point stands though, it's not a 7. That's a good metacritic score.

yeah its good

Yeah, because it’s really important isn’t it? It’s really really really really important what some aggregate score is it, isn’t it?

Fuck me, are you checking back every hour?

This whole mindset is just so exhausting. The culture here is demented.

dont be so salty, if you are not satisfied with what you are seeing u can always log off, your peace of mind is one click of distance

Last edited:

Zathalus

It was discussed in this thread.

That is simply untrue and goes to show the utter bullshit made up on this site about DF.

They all met at Gamescom (in Germany where most of DF live) where tons of people were shown Starfield. Nobody flew DF anywhere nor did they get any special access to Starfield. They were provided a review code along with a hundred other outlets.

That is simply untrue and goes to show the utter bullshit made up on this site about DF.

They all met at Gamescom (in Germany where most of DF live) where tons of people were shown Starfield. Nobody flew DF anywhere nor did they get any special access to Starfield. They were provided a review code along with a hundred other outlets.
I don't think Elysium44 Elysium44 is talking about that being the trip to America but referring to other times MS brought them out and gave them special access to things like the deep dive to the Xbox One X (I think it was that one)

Intentionally targeting DF to "make them pro Xbox" and yes I have receipts and have proved to the authorities here Xbox brass made that direct statement I quoted

Zathalus

I don't think Elysium44 Elysium44 is talking about that being the trip to America but referring to other times MS brought them out and gave them special access to things like the deep dive to the Xbox One X (I think it was that one)

Intentionally targeting DF to "make them pro Xbox" and yes I have receipts and have proved to the authorities here Xbox brass made that direct statement I quoted
So that proves MS targeted DF.

Yet DF still continues to praise Sony at almost every opportunity (both hardware and software) and constantly puts them on the top ten lists. They could have easily gotten away with being meh on PSVR2 for example but they were one of the most positive about it.

If DF is guilty of anything, it's to being far too nice to major gaming companies. That not just restricted to Microsoft, but goes for Sony, Nvidia, AMD, and Nintendo as well.

zeldaring

Banned
They differently getting paid by nvidia.

So that proves MS targeted DF.

Yet DF still continues to praise Sony at almost every opportunity (both hardware and software) and constantly puts them on the top ten lists. They could have easily gotten away with being meh on PSVR2 for example but they were one of the most positive about it.

If DF is guilty of anything, it's to being far too nice to major gaming companies. That not just restricted to Microsoft, but goes for Sony, Nvidia, AMD, and Nintendo as well.
I didn't say DF is guilty of anything it just makes some of their praise on some things a little suspect to me.

Like I said it was just to make them pro xbox, not a paid division like say Windows Central

Top Bottom