• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Direct Weekly #59: PlayStation 5 VRR, Steam Deck 40-60Hz Upgrade, 900W Next-Gen GPUs?

solidus12

Alex is right, it's not to do with VRR but the fact that the game suffers from frametime spikes, so running it at 120hz would soften those, it wouldn't totally fix it but it would run better that way, Rich steps in and clarifies.
Actually John schooled Alex, and said NO, Blooborne wouldn't run better on Xbox. And it was satisfaying to watch.

james franco GIF

Shmunter

Actually John schooled Alex, and said NO, Blooborne wouldn't run better on Xbox. And it was satisfaying to watch.

james franco GIF
See the uneasy confrontation at the beginning where Alex took it personally about “liking to talk”. He’s so been schooled by Richard over the recent Colin tweets.

Shmunter

DF’s reaction to the time trials is identical to my initial reaction. Only after more pondering the realisation of all AAA games being playable on the service strikes as something big. ALL being the key word here.

Potential elimination of fomo, backlogs & lowering the barrier of entry like with f2p is highly attractive.

If Sony pulls it off I can see many changing their minds.

Haven't watched the video but I don't see an scenario where consoles would be consuming 900W. Hell, even people like myself that usually don't pay notice to stuff like that are considering that on PC gaming because power consumption is crazy with current gen GPU (at least Nvidia).
Only the high end. My undervolt profile for 3060ti is about 175watts and matches or exceeds both consoles. My 3700x is also undervolted.

Elysion

Banned
I'm still waiting for that room where I can view my trophies in 3D, it's what brought the whole "trophy" branding around.

Yeah, that trophy room they showed off back in 2007 was such a great idea; it would‘ve made me actually care about trophies or achievements, which I currently don‘t care about at all. I don‘t understand why something like that was never implemented. It can‘t be that hard? It would‘ve been even cooler once VR came around. Such a wasted opportunity…

Dude is a pc gamer, but likes to console war by downplaying PS5 in favor of Xbox.
Not an uncommon thing to see. Many PC players hate Sony both because they don't release all their games on PC and because their games look great on "inferior hardware" because they have a massive budget (an that matters a lot more for the end result than power these days).

If you ask for the best examples of graphically impressive PC games they I'll usually show up with Cyberpunk, RDR2, Marbles demo and Unreal 5 demos.

PC was never about graphics, the best PC games run well on anything. Dude loves Crysis of all games, the epitome of that sort of mentality, Crysis ain't even a good game, mediocre at best and run like shit.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Only the high end. My undervolt profile for 3060ti is about 175watts and matches or exceeds both consoles. My 3700x is also undervolted.
Of course I'm talking high end. There are low power solutions but they are not interesting for gaming.

They can be pretty decent but this is a gaming discussion so we care the most about cutting edge performance.

Also 900w is a requirement for future consoles. Current ones couldn't get there even if they tried.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know what Alex is so upset about. As the resident PC expert, it was his job to hold devs accountable for shitty PC ports with stuttering. It is 2022, and hes only just now thinking of doing a video on why stuttering might be an issue? How about you slap a DO NOT BUY on the title of every single PC review he does?

Things have gotten this bad because these PC youtubers and tech journalists never really bothered devs about this. You need PS5 and XSX console equivalent settings? Off to Remedy we go. Any comment on why the game runs like shit on initial install? Crickets.

Even now he's walking on eggshells trying to make excuses for devs saying that this isnt easy. Yes, shocking. Video game development is hard. Programming is hard. But when you are paying $60 for a game and $2000 for your PC parts, omg my homework is so hard is not an excuse these mulibillion dollar companies get to make. FFS. Grow some balls and be the critic you were hired to be. They are not your friends.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont know what Alex is so upset about. As the resident PC expert, it was his job to hold devs accountable for shitty PC ports with stuttering. It is 2022, and hes only just now thinking of doing a video on why stuttering might be an issue? How about you slap a DO NOT BUY on the title of every single PC review he does?

Things have gotten this bad because these PC youtubers and tech journalists never really bothered devs about this. You need PS5 and XSX console equivalent settings? Off to Remedy we go. Any comment on why the game runs like shit on initial install? Crickets.

Even now he's walking on eggshells trying to make excuses for devs saying that this isnt easy. Yes, shocking. Video game development is hard. Programming is hard. But when you are paying $60 for a game and $2000 for your PC parts, omg my homework is so hard is not an excuse these mulibillion dollar companies get to make. FFS. Grow some balls and be the critic you were hired to be. They are not your friends.
It's called fellating and not wanting to be blacklisted or lose advertising dollars.

;)

I once sold my PC because I was so frustrated with stutter (that was like 5 years ago), trying to solve it was draining the joy of playing on PC for me. These days I have different mentality, so it doesn't bother me as much, but it seems like the issue got worse since DX12, a lot of PC games behave like emulators, with shader caching issues and other bullshit like that.

Last edited:
Not a fan of it either just being on the highest paid tier, it should be on all tiers

Pay the most money to get a demo of a game you then have to actually buy

Tom Cruise What GIF

Yes because that's all the highest-paid tier offers?

I actually agree that the timed game trials would be nice on all tiers. It's just your reasoning here that's bunk.

Of course I'm talking high end. There are low power solutions but they are not interesting for gaming.

They can be pretty decent but this is a gaming discussion so we care the most about cutting edge performance.

Also 900w is a requirement for future consoles. Current ones couldn't get there even if they tried.
Um no. I care about gaming discussions and they are not required to be about high end. I doubt there will ever be 900watt consoles. Especially since 175 watts right now out preforms the consoles.

Banned
so the Steam Deck screen can, in real time, change refresh rates to anything between 40hz and 60hz...?

uhm, maybe a stupid question but what keeps it from straight up supporting VRR at that point?
they literally have a piece of software that can read the current framerate of a game in real time and a piece of software that can change the refresh rate in real time... what am I missing here?

Last edited:

A.Romero

Um no. I care about gaming discussions and they are not required to be about high end. I doubt there will ever be 900watt consoles. Especially since 175 watts right now out preforms the consoles.

I guess I should have been more precise: Most people here care about high end.

My post also said that I doubt they get to 900W.

Shmunter

so the Steam Deck screen can, in real time, change refresh rates to anything between 40hz and 60hz...?

uhm, maybe a stupid question but what keeps it from straight up supporting VRR at that point?
they literally have a piece of software that can read the current framerate of a game in real time and a piece of software that can change the refresh rate in real time... what am I missing here?
Maybe the change is not fast enough for real-time vrr?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DF's commentary on the PS+ Trial system is also interesting.

John "I'm not really a big fan of it"

Rich "It is a bit odd that they want people to subscribe to the highest paid tier to get a sampler of the service, seems a bit desperate".

I don't get their take on this at all! Especially when literally no one else in the gaming world is doing anything like it. Seems odd. Feels a bit.....entitled.

mckmas8808

DF’s reaction to the time trials is identical to my initial reaction. Only after more pondering the realisation of all AAA games being playable on the service strikes as something big. ALL being the key word here.

Potential elimination of fomo, backlogs & lowering the barrier of entry like with f2p is highly attractive.

If Sony pulls it off I can see many changing their minds.

100% truth here. It was the same way we (me included) were slamming MS on "Smart Delivery" before the Series X came out. We didn't understand it. We clowned the name, but we ended up clearly wrong. Many will realize that they were wrong and that Sony was right with this game trials thing (if Sony actually does it right).

And people seem to forget that it's a 2-hour minimum, not a locked 2 hours. So, some companies may do 4, 5, or even a 6-hour game trial. My only question for Sony is, do we have to buy the game to unlock the PS trophies that we get during the game trial?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
100% truth here. It was the same way we (me included) were slamming MS on "Smart Delivery" before the Series X came out. We didn't understand it. We clowned the name, but we ended up clearly wrong. Many will realize that they were wrong and that Sony was right with this game trials thing (if Sony actually does it right).

And people seem to forget that it's a 2-hour minimum, not a locked 2 hours. So, some companies may do 4, 5, or even a 6-hour game trial. My only question for Sony is, do we have to buy the game to unlock the PS trophies that we get during the game trial?
It has the potential to change a lot.
  • Eliminates a lot of pre-orders. Why buy when you can try every game first?
  • Encourages more digital purchases. If you wait to release day to try a game and like it, are you then going to wait for it to be shipped to you physically?
  • Could hurt more established series that typically get strong sales, but have weak gameplay and coast on sales because of a well known IP (Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, etc.)
  • Could benefit more niche series that people are reluctant to purchase, but have strong gameplay.

mckmas8808

It has the potential to change a lot.
  • Eliminates a lot of pre-orders. Why buy when you can try every game first?
  • Encourages more digital purchases. If you wait to release day to try a game and like it, are you then going to wait for it to be shipped to you physically?
  • Could hurt more established series that typically get strong sales, but have weak gameplay and coast on sales because of a well known IP (Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, etc.)
  • Could benefit more niche series that people are reluctant to purchase, but have strong gameplay.

I think your 3rd bullet point will have most of those game trials coming out weeks before Sony's deadline timeframe. I think it needs to be on the PSN Store within the first 90 days after the game is released.

Top Bottom