• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

The Alien

Banned
I remember a time when everyone just enjoyed playing fucking games.

Now, somebody has to win before the game is even played. XBox has this but not that. PS has this not that. The differences here are miniscule and unimportant to 99.99% of the people. But this 0.01% has yo get the W to say they have a better version.

LOL this thread.

Why can't I be happy it doesn't look like trash on the PS5?

It's why im relieved at how good games look on the PS5.
The PS5 has similar architecture to the XSX|S it was never going to look like 'trash'. I just thought it was odd to say and wondering why you'd make that comment. I'll admit I'm happy the PS5 blows away the Atari 2600! Take that Atari! ColecoVision better watch its back too!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Big one here is actually that in all modes except 120hz PS5 is on par with Xbox X in Resolution and FPS.

But that the on paper stronger console needed the help of VRS to achieve its metrics.

PS5 simply does not need this image worsening technic to achieve its Performance...
No. In every mode, the PS5 has worse resolution.

We saw this in the VG tech analysis yesterday.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Balanced Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2720x1530. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 were found more often on PS5 than Xbox Series X. As an example, in one scene the PS5 dropped to approximately 3456x1944 and the Xbox Series X rendered that scene at 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S in Balanced Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1813x1020.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Raytracing Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2266x1275. Pixel counts below 3200x1800 were found more often on PS5 than Xbox Series X. As an example, in one scene the PS5 dropped to approximately 2986x1680 and the Xbox Series X rendered that scene at 3200x1800.

PS5 in the 120fps Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2816x1584 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1992x1120.

Xbox Series X in the 120fps Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2266x1275.

The PS5 has similar architecture to the XSX|S it was never going to look like 'trash'. I just thought it was odd to say and wondering why you'd make that comment. I'll admit I'm happy the PS5 blows away the Atari 2600! Take that Atari! ColecoVision better watch its back too!

Well it could have looked like trash if the really bad rumors came true. But im glad they didn't.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I remember a time when everyone just enjoyed playing fucking games.

Now, somebody has to win before the game is even played. XBox has this but not that. PS has this not that. The differences here are miniscule and unimportant to 99.99% of the people. But this 0.01% has yo get the W to say they have a better version.

LOL this thread.
When was this? I remember the GTA ports on the OG Xbox. There was much talk of how they ran better on the HDD, looked far more cleaner too. I also remember the MGS2 Subsistence port and how the PS fans claimed victory because the rain was worse in the tanker chapter on the Xbox.

Digital Foundry literally made their name comparing early gen ports of Call of Duty World At War, Assassins Creed and well pretty much every single multiplatform game at the start of that gen.

I was too young during the N64 days but I have heard how the RAM expansion made it better than the PS1.

Console warring and spec slinging is a profession older than prostitution itself. Sadder because unlike whores, none of us get paid for it.

Last edited:
Yeah hope these flopping cunts get destroyed...

hahahahahahahhaha

Friday Movie GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
First comparison for Next-Gen GTAV.
PS5 runs at native 1800p, while Series X run's at native 2160p with VRS
any differences you see is due to time of day
I think this is a clear win for Series X with its higher resolution and smart use of VRS
img_20210708_0010390sk9p.jpg

giphy.webp

Source

Last edited:

AnotherOne

A darker contrast can make edges appear sharper. As DF already pointed out, asset quality is the same. Series X can be sharper in some cases, especially noticeable on a 4K display.
Don't bother explaining it man some people just can't accept
I haven't seen the video or any analysis but just from this alone that's quite a difference.

Does PS5 have higher IQ throughout despite the lower resolution? Or is the image an outlier?
It's just bs, we don't even know if they're using the same settings, xsx could be 120 while ps5 could be balanced.

Genx3

Mesh shaders could be primitive shaders, sampler feedback could be present too, under a different name. Why are we having these silly RDNA 1 discussions again?

Those are 2 different things so please stop spreading false info.

Hoddi

I really, really wouldn't put much stock into compressed JPEG captures from an already heavily compressed YouTube stream running in a downscaled window.

If this were an accurate representation of the console versions then they would both look like shit. They don't.

Moonjt9

VRS is terrible. Who cares if the overall resolution is higher if half the assets in it are at a lower resolution because of that technique.

I’ll also say that DF not covering 3D audio or at the very least the dualsense features is disingenuous on their part. They need to cover every part of they’re going to compare and do deep technical analysis.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I am not an expert so i do not fully understand the point of VRS in Doom. If it produces the same framerate at a higher resolution, but at the expense of image quality, what is the point of it?
I mean, i would use something like this on a weaker machine and not the other way around.. 🤷‍♀️
Because it does give a higher resolution and better image quality on Xbox. Without zooming in a ridiculous **400%** and then scanning over the entire 4K image with a fine toothed comb to try and find a difference, you will not see a difference.

The whole image isn’t using VRS, just some parts that have been deemed to be unnoticeable when applied. At normal zoom you can’t tell a difference even though you know it’s there because someone showed you it is at 400% zoom. What is noticeable though is that on the 99% of the screen that isn’t using VRS, you’ve got a 25-30% higher resolution with the better IQ that comes with that.

The Xbox version wins here across the board. Higher resolution at the same frame rate.

Because it does give a higher resolution and better image quality on Xbox. Without zooming in a ridiculous **400%** and then scanning over the entire 4K image with a fine toothed comb to try and find a difference, you will not see a difference.

The whole image isn’t using VRS, just some parts that have been deemed to be unnoticeable when applied. At normal zoom you can’t tell a difference even though you know it’s there because someone showed you it is at 400% zoom. What is noticeable though is that on the 99% of the screen that isn’t using VRS, you’ve got a 25-30% higher resolution with the better IQ that comes with that.

The Xbox version wins here across the board. Higher resolution at the same frame rate.

The Xbox version plain looks better, no denying that. What's insane is we aren't seeing anything yet. The real stuff comes when Series X starts to get all that RAM freed up thanks to SFS, which will also cut down the SSD bandwidth demands and will allow the GPU bandwidth to be utilized much more efficiently.

I can't wait to see developers start utilizing Sampler Feedback Streaming. That to me is the biggest feature. In many ways even bigger than Machine Learning. Although if Microsoft can really get great quality hardware accelerated machine learning resolution upscaling going on Xbox Series X and S, the sky could be the limit for what the consoles can do.

And buying Bethesda and with that getting ownership of all these talented studios is a major way to better ensure support of what the Xbox hardware can truly do.

elliot5

The Xbox version plain looks better, no denying that. What's insane is we aren't seeing anything yet. The real stuff comes when Series X starts to get all that RAM freed up thanks to SFS, which will also cut down the SSD bandwidth demands and will allow the GPU bandwidth to be utilized much more efficiently.

I can't wait to see developers start utilizing Sampler Feedback Streaming. That to me is the biggest feature. In many ways even bigger than Machine Learning. Although if Microsoft can really get great quality hardware accelerated machine learning resolution upscaling going on Xbox Series X and S, the sky could be the limit for what the consoles can do.

And buying Bethesda and with that getting ownership of all these talented studios is a major way to better ensure support of what the Xbox hardware can truly do.
I also look forward to SFS and seeing a technical masterpiece game like Gears 6 that fires on all cylinders with optimizations and hardware sauce.

I wonder if we didn't see Series S get a RT mode in Doom because of the memory limitations. I think the PC debug info kinda shows that is the case, but it makes me wonder if SFS was used it would free enough memory to put towards the RT trees enabling RT more often on S. It could be the case that it wouldn't matter in ids game/engine, but yeah.

MrFunSocks

Banned
VRS is terrible. Who cares if the overall resolution is higher if half the assets in it are at a lower resolution because of that technique.

I’ll also say that DF not covering 3D audio or at the very least the dualsense features is disingenuous on their part. They need to cover every part of they’re going to compare and do deep technical analysis.
Which part of the graphics is 3D audio and dual sense? Where can I see that on the screen?

Are people still pretending that the PS5 is the only console with 3D audio and that "tempest" is some amazing groundbreaking technology?

EDMIX

I don't know why some of you are so butthurt about me telling here that PS5 GPU has older architecture than what is in XSX. I don't get why that happened with both consoles releasing in Q4 2020, ask Cerny:

8267c8c547946c41ab51c63cd273614e.gif

? AMD's own comments say otherwise though.

It would be like you using Windows 10, but not using several features by choice and someone saying you must not really be using Windows 10......

To my understanding, both Sony and MS rarely use 100% of anything that is outsourced and often have some custom thing done and pick and choose what the want outsourced and what they want done in house etc. So it sounds really dumb and desperate to really say its using something else, simply based on 100% all features not being used, MOST do not use 100% of all features of all outsourced parts. Using your logic, you fucking know more then AMD themselves lol
So the its been opened up and shows the new architecture, AMD the company that literally makes this has stated it is the new architecture, I don't know what more to tell you bud as it sounds like you are living off of semantics.

Yea... I don't get what he was trying to say there. Xbox owns Bethesda. Xbox is in control. Phil Spencer is now pretty much the boss. Everything under Bethesda including id Software are now Xbox first party studios. They're one and the same.

Also... we should be able to officially put to bed any notion that Xbox Series X has issues with a lot of alpha effects. No game goes as nuts as Doom Eternal does in that regard and it's still an amazingly locked experience even at 120fps.

That one kept coming up a lot. Doom Eternal now kills that idea.

Also, with the Anisotropic Filtering being so weak or low on the next gen versions, that would change for Series X if Sampler Feedback Streaming were use, which would greatly improve RAM and bandwidth efficiency.

The RAM situation being much better is why nearly all backwards compatible titles on Xbox Series X have far superior 16AF compared to the next gen version of Doom Eternal.

Memory bandwidth wouldn't be nearly as heavily taxed if the RAM efficiency of Sampler Feedback Streaming were in place.

gvjbevg.png

Notice the difference when he switches to the backwards compatible version of Doom Eternal. You can see AF wayyyy beyond the next gen version due to the RAM and memory bandwidth usage difference. SFS will help this for future titles. Ignore him not knowing the Series S was actually running the base Xbox One version of the game lol.

Shmunter

Yea... I don't get what he was trying to say there. Xbox owns Bethesda. Xbox is in control. Phil Spencer is now pretty much the boss. Everything under Bethesda including id Software are now Xbox first party studios. They're one and the same.

Also... we should be able to officially put to bed any notion that Xbox Series X has issues with a lot of alpha effects. No game goes as nuts as Doom Eternal does in that regard and it's still an amazingly locked experience even at 120fps.

That one kept coming up a lot. Doom Eternal now kills that idea.
Are you sure about that?

Todd Howard is reporting to big poppa Microsoft as is Phil Spencer. They have synergy and first right of refusal, but anything between them goes up the chain.

Phil will have input on what goes where, but not the final authority. Phil’s mission is Xbox, you think he’d let Minecraft on PS if it were upto him? No, it’s counter to his divisions success.

May get restructured in the future.

Last edited:

Grechy34

I don't recall anyone saying anything about the PS5 looking like 'trash' man. Where did you hear that?

What is against some early rumors was that XSS not having more TF would prevent it from running games well. John pointed out that both the PS4 Pro and the XSS have 4 TF but there is no way that the PS4 Pro would run Doom Eternal at 120 fps. It might be time to just acknowledge that the XSS is every bit the current gen device it was billed as and comparisons to the Switch and PS4 should have never been a thing.

I'm really impressed with this title and I'm looking forward to what ID can do for XGS seeing how they're now first party.

The Series S is just so impressive. For that price point and performance, absolute stellar value.

longdi

Banned
TL;DR:

Resolution details/differences:

Next up, there's the 120Hz mode, which works best on HDMI 2.1 displays, allowing for the game's full resolution to successfully resolve at full frame-rate. This looks to offer something akin to the last-gen Doom Eternal experience at twice the performance level. Xbox Series X operates at a dynamic 1800p, while PlayStation 5 tops out at 1584p - and it is visibly blurrier. Finally, Series S aims to deliver 120 frames per second at a maximum of 1080p, though drops to 70 percent on both axes is possible, which is a touch higher than 720p.

well there is the VRS for you, SX is better at 120hz, as i said in the older thread about people bitching on 'blurry vrs', when in fact, both consoles lack AF and ps5 is visibly blurrier at 120hz. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: :messenger_ok:

Bogroll Bogroll DenchDeckard DenchDeckard

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
To test out why XSS doesn't have RT mode I took my 2060S and underclocked and turned down power target significantly. Used 1080p Native with DRS set to 144fps target. RT 'On', DLSS 'Off', all 'Low' settings. The estimated VRAM usage they had in the game settings was 4.7GB, but GPUTweak reported 6.5GB max usage. With lowest possible settings + RT, that's still likely beyond the VRAM allocation for Series S.

Likewise, for non-RT it says 2.9GB estimated usage, but GPUTweak reported 4.1GB for Low, 4.2GB for Med, 4.4GB for High, and 4.5GB for Ultra. All using Texture Memory Pool Size set to 'Low'. Series S has 10GB, with 1-2GB going to the OS. That leaves 8-9GB for VRAM and System Memory, so it probably splits 5GB VRAM/3-4GB System. 1.4GB short of RT minimum.

Bonus: 1080p, DRS goal 144fps, RT 'On', Texture Filter 'Med', all other settings 'Low'. RTX 2060S, 1120MHz Core, 6500MHz mem, ~5.8GB VRAM usage. DRS is at 68% of 1080p in this photo. It's like 'Ultra Low' RT mode.
Eternal-RT-ALLLowjp.jpg

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned

yeah, they not gonna do that. would you criticize coca cola if you work for them? of course not.

Neo_game

Although the engine seems to be very scalable I do not think this port is as great and some people think. According to this article RX 5700 can easily do 4K 60fps and 1440P 120fps.

So I would like to think these console for most part are hitting the upper limit of resolution and only on rare taxing situation it is dropping the resolution. Ideally these console should not have problem outperforming RX5700. Important take away from this article is that this engine is dependent on BW as is states how the RX5700 33% BW advantage over 5600XT makes quite a big difference at higher res. I wonder how much memory this game is using on consoles. SX obviously has 25% advantage if 10gb or less is used.

Either way if you look at the specs and then the performance SX advantage is simply not adding up. Both consoles are underperforming IMO but SX is doing even worse. If it had no VRS I would like to know what impact that would have had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom