• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

AnotherOne

HqvTzKN.gif

Don't worry about the summary just know its another one.

Last edited:

thatJohann

TLDR:
Both are great, both have almost perfect frame rates including on the 120 FPS mode.

PS5 has 2x fast loading times but a convoluted upgrade process and does not carry over the save.

XSS/XSX Smart Delivery made the upgrade a breeze carrying over the save as well.

both are great. I guess pick either one!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is there any idea how much playerbase for Doom eternal is on consoles vs pc ?
It strikes me as a pc game but I would not be surprised to learn that maybe only 25% of sales are on pc

The user name and the gif by the op has me rolling :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Looks like a great upgrade. I really like the upgrades to the PC Version so its dope seeing the console version is getting the same love

Riky

$MSFT
"It's also interesting to note that Xbox Series consoles use the hardware-based tier two VRS feature of the RDNA2 hardware, which is not present on PlayStation 5. VRS stands for variable rate shading, adjusting the precision of pixel shading based on factors such as contrast and motion. Pre-launch there was plenty of discussion about whether PS5 had the feature or not and the truth is, it doesn't have any hardware-based VRS support at all. However, developers can tap into the MSAA anti-aliasing hardware and exploit it to deliver something very similar to a tier one VRS solution. Metro Exodus does this on PlayStation 5, while Call of Duty Warzone does something similar on all consoles. In combination with Series X's extra GPU grunt, the use of variable rate shading may explain why the Microsoft console achieves higher resolutions overall."

Confirmation of the joint AMD statement about RDNA2 hardware features.

ManaByte

Uh...

It's also interesting to note that Xbox Series consoles use the hardware-based tier two VRS feature of the RDNA2 hardware, which is not present on PlayStation 5. VRS stands for variable rate shading, adjusting the precision of pixel shading based on factors such as contrast and motion. Pre-launch there was plenty of discussion about whether PS5 had the feature or not and the truth is, it doesn't have any hardware-based VRS support at all. However, developers can tap into the MSAA anti-aliasing hardware and exploit it to deliver something very similar to a tier one VRS solution. Metro Exodus does this on PlayStation 5, while Call of Duty Warzone does something similar on all consoles. In combination with Series X's extra GPU grunt, the use of variable rate shading may explain why the Microsoft console achieves higher resolutions overall.

Armorian

Banned
"It's also interesting to note that Xbox Series consoles use the hardware-based tier two VRS feature of the RDNA2 hardware, which is not present on PlayStation 5. VRS stands for variable rate shading, adjusting the precision of pixel shading based on factors such as contrast and motion. Pre-launch there was plenty of discussion about whether PS5 had the feature or not and the truth is, it doesn't have any hardware-based VRS support at all. However, developers can tap into the MSAA anti-aliasing hardware and exploit it to deliver something very similar to a tier one VRS solution. Metro Exodus does this on PlayStation 5, while Call of Duty Warzone does something similar on all consoles. In combination with Series X's extra GPU grunt, the use of variable rate shading may explain why the Microsoft console achieves higher resolutions overall."

Uh...

Yeah, looks like RDNA1 with RT after all. I wonder about mesh shaders but chance that PS5 supports it om hardware level are slim. But... it has geometry engine and this shit has some custom elements not present on RDNA2 PC parts? It's confusing...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

XSX wins even John noted he saw how much higher res XSX is over ps5

No vrs 2.0 hw for ps5 as we suspected too

Well it only took 9 months but we have the first game and confirmation that the ps5 doesn't have VRS 2 and therefore is missing RDNA 2 feature set.

Its a shame because it seems like vrs 2 could really help next gen psvr to deliver higher resolutions and performance for the headset.

Is there a chance that the quality of vrs can improve even more? It could be interesting.

Also, pretty crazy that John mentions that the resolution is noticeable.

Ultimately the game is amazing 9n all platforms and id software continue to be qizards who push these boxes exactly how you would expect it. Up to 30 percent more res on xbox with vrs and twice as fast load times on the ps5.

Last edited:
Uh...

Even without it games don't look like trash on the PS5. Pretty impressed with how well it's keeping up with the XSX. Certainly not the console that I had in mind when the first rumors hIt.

Yeah, looks like RDNA1 with RT after all. I wonder about mesh shaders but chance that PS5 supports it om hardware level are slim. But... it has geometry engine and this shit has some custom elements not present on RDNA2 PC parts? It's confusing...

But it's not RDNA1 with RT.

Armorian

Banned
Even without it games don't look like trash on the PS5. Pretty impressed with how well it's keeping up with the XSX. Certainly not the console that I had in mind when the first rumors hIt.

But it's not RDNA1 with RT.

More like RDNA 2 with RT but without tier 2 VRS support on the hardware level.

"Additional features confirmed by AMD include real-time, hardware accelerated ray tracing, Infinity Cache™, mesh shaders, sampler feedback and variable rate shading."

Infinity cache aside we know Xbox uses RDNA2 with all this features, but for PS5 only RT is present and confirmed.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about the PS5 looking like 'trash' man. Where did you hear that?

What is against some early rumors was that XSS not having more TF would prevent it from running games well. John pointed out that both the PS4 Pro and the XSS have 4 TF but there is no way that the PS4 Pro would run Doom Eternal at 120 fps. It might be time to just acknowledge that the XSS is every bit the current gen device it was billed as and comparisons to the Switch and PS4 should have never been a thing.

I'm really impressed with this title and I'm looking forward to what ID can do for XGS seeing how they're now first party.

Skifi28

It doesn't have all the things that makes RDNA2... RDNA2

It's RDNA1 with RT and come custom Sony/AMD parts - so let's call it RDNA1.5?

It was like this I think:

XqTlBD5.png
Does no infinity cache make the XsX GPU RDNA 1.8? Who decides how many points are deducted per feature lost? It's a silly argument as a GPU architecture is more than the additional features it supports. You could remove all RDNA2 features including RT and it still wouldn't be RDNA1 as clock for clock it would have better IPC and thermals while being able to reach much higher clocks.

Last edited:

Md Ray

"Additional features confirmed by AMD include real-time, hardware accelerated ray tracing, Infinity Cache™, mesh shaders, sampler feedback and variable rate shading."

Infinity cache aside we know Xbox uses RDNA2 with all this features, but for PS5 only RT is present and confirmed.
Mesh shaders could be primitive shaders, sampler feedback could be present too, under a different name. Why are we having these silly RDNA 1 discussions again?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Does no infinity cache make the XsX GPU RDNA 1.8? Who decides how many points are deducted per feature lost? It's a silly argument as a GPU architecture is more than the additional features it supports. You could remove all RDNA2 features including RT and it still wouldn't be RDNA1 as clock for clock it would have better IPC and thermals while being able to reach much higher clocks.

IPC difference is actually non existent

PS5 has custom RDNA2 just like Cerny said - custom enough that only part of it that is from RDNA2 is hardware accelerated RT ;)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Perf per watt gains are also only possible on RDNA 2.0 GPUs. The RDNA 1.0 36 CU GPUs cannot even come close to hitting 2.23 ghz let alone hit them in a console TDP.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mesh shaders could be primitive shaders, sampler feedback could be present too, under a different name. Why are we having these silly RDNA 1 discussions again?
UE5's nanite system is using mesh technology. Both the PS5 and XSX target the same 1440p 30 fps resolution on high lumen settings and 1080p 30 fps on epic settings.

If there was a gigantic performance difference between Primitive Shaders and Mesh Shaders, the xsx would be targeting higher resolutions.

Andodalf

Banned
I am not an expert so i do not fully understand the point of VRS in Doom. If it produces the same framerate at a higher resolution, but at the expense of image quality, what is the point of it?
I mean, i would use something like this on a weaker machine and not the other way around.. 🤷‍♀️

it hardware which makes it so that it can, for free, reduce rending quality in areas of the screen that don’t matter, to increase res where it does. It’s a straight benefit overall.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Why would a games console that has unified shared memory for the gpu and cpu have an infinity cache.

Both consoles have an infinity cache in theory. Around 12 to 13.5gb each.

Top Bottom