• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Hunnybun

Tried it yesterday on the PS5 and for me the balanced mode looks MUCH sharper.

The RT seems to significantly change the image, too - not just the reflections. The game looks a lot darker. Anyone else found this? Are they doing more with RT than just reflections?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes but nobody has done a complete and objective comparison using the PC game because they weren't interested to show negative results about VRS.
Or maybe it's just an old game, which in this space is not really welcome to re-visit. How many games get (aside from Cyberpunk) get some post-patches reviews/technical analysis, etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At 17:35 they say they would have added VRS to all platforms if it was available, and that it improves the quality of the image overall. They also criticise the focus on 400% enlarged sections of part of the image, instead of considering the overall quality of the whole image.
Fucking Alex lmao

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
At 17:35 they say they would have added VRS to all platforms if it was available, and that it improves the quality of the image overall. They also criticise the focus on 400% enlarged sections of part of the image, instead of considering the overall quality of the whole image.
Good catch. It makes sense, too. In Eternal if you stop moving you die. The idea you'd stop to pixel peep is nonsensical when you're ripping and tearing at 120fps. He states that the reason to use VRS was stabilize DRS fluctuation. Image quality takes a bigger hit with DRS drops and fluctuations than with some details being degraded. I really like this interview, John did a good job mentioning that debris scene from Alex's comparison. Then he directly asks the performance savings from VRS, which was said to be 10-15%.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I hadca hard time picking between rt and the regular mode, there are times where rt just looked so much more natural/realistic. But then I would miss the extra sharpness/resolution.......lol

At the end of the game now, its been a blast to play. It's too bad so many people seemed to be turned off by the platforming and the ammo method, if you stick with it the game is really fantastic.

AFAIK nobody has enlarged images to compare differences in this thread. The difference is easily visible without it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But will GAF believe the engine programmer that’s bought by MS 🤣🤡
Probably not, unlike the completely unbiased Cerny.

Not in this game. People attacked me earlier for saying it's only reflections RT in Doom and turns out... it is only reflections.

Yep, but some people will live in denial forever
The game itself says ray traced lighting and reflections:

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Probably not, unlike the completely unbiased Cerny.

The game itself says ray traced lighting and reflections:

DF video says nothing about it, and you know Alex would go deep with this stuff if there was anything RT related other than reflections.

longdi

Banned
2x efficient ROPs compared to PS5? 😂

probably a good guess although sony have not disclosed ps5 rop, but rdna1 -> rdna2 rops are as such

image-135-1024x608.png

Neo_game

Did they mention how much memory is being used ? Because anything less than 10GB SX should have 25% BW advantage. If VRS bring 10-15% performance and SX has at least 18% compute performance. Why is SX dropping resolution like PS5 ?

Kagey K

Banned
Did they mention how much memory is being used ? Because anything less than 10GB SX should have 25% BW advantage. If VRS bring 10-15% performance and SX has at least 18% compute performance. Why is SX dropping resolution like PS5 ?
My guess is because this is still being dropped on top of last gen code.

They aren't rebuilding these games from the ground up for current gen consoles. Just applying stuff to the base that's already there.

SpokkX

After playing through some levels RT mode on series x it look significally better overall - especially levels with lots of glass and metal.

i now prefer this even to 120fps mode because it feels so much more immersive witt all cool effects also showing in reflections

dcmk7

Banned
After playing through some levels RT mode on series x it look significally better overall - especially levels with lots of glass and metal.

i now prefer this even to 120fps mode because it feels so much more immersive witt all cool effects also showing in reflections
RT does certainly add a lot to the experience, it's definitely a very welcome next gen feature.

Looks gorgeous. id Software certainly know their stuff to get it to run so well on next gen consoles.

Regarding the XSS.

The reason why it doesn't have RT with this game is that they didn't want to have bad performance or have to make a lot of cuts to the game to make it work. We saw what happened with the RT mode on RE8 so the XSS would most likely have performance issues with the game.

iDSoftware are owned by Microsoft. And if history has proven anything they take their time with developing games. They are pretty well known to be very diligent with their software. I'm pretty sure they made the XSS version the best that they possible could.

With that said expect similar compromises to be made in future titles for the XSS. However, it was never marketed as a high end system so that should be expected.

elliot5

Regarding the XSS.

The reason why it doesn't have RT with this game is that they didn't want to have bad performance or have to make a lot of cuts to the game to make it work. We saw what happened with the RT mode on RE8 so the XSS would most likely have performance issues with the game.

iDSoftware are owned by Microsoft. And if history has proven anything they take their time with developing games. They are pretty well known to be very diligent with their software. I'm pretty sure they made the XSS version the best that they possible could.

With that said expect similar compromises to be made in future titles for the XSS. However, it was never marketed as a high end system so that should be expected.
Inb4 "but same graphics just lower resolution they said!!!!"

Balanced mode is 4K on xsx and 1440p on XSS. Just like the marketing said it would. Expecting every graphics mode especially raytracing is not realistic lol

Why yes people did say that here. But that's because they don't understand how tech works.
I'm pretty sure they know better but they would rather talk crap about the budget console and hold it to unrealistic standards. It has nothing to do with MS being dishonest about the capabilities of the XSS or any statement from MS that all XSS games would have RT. The XSS will be fine especially when developers take full advantage of its features.

The XSS will be fine especially when developers take full advantage of its features.

Depends what you mean by fine. The specifications won't increase so that could be a problem for some developers that want to incorporate all features in their games. Most people won't miss out on things like RT but some will. Really depends if the lower price is worth missing out on some features for them.

I haven't seen the video or any analysis but just from this alone that's quite a difference.

Does PS5 have higher IQ throughout despite the lower resolution? Or is the image an outlier?
It's because both rooms are lit differently you can see lava in the background on XSX image and the PS5 is in a closed room. Obviously in XSX the light is coming from lava surrounding the player, which is a warm and soft light. Where as with the PS5 image the light is coming from a light bulb above the player which is cooler in comparison and not as soft. It is nothing more than the lighting for both images are different.

SlimySnake

XSX has a 29% resolution advantage in the worst case scenario in the 120 fps mode. 23% in worst case scenario in 60 fps balanced mode. and 14% in RT mode.

Shmunter

You are talking about opinions not the facts. The facts are unequivocally in the Series X favour, now stop being silly.
You criticise opinion yet come out with ‘your’ truth as opposed to ‘actual’ truth.

You may need to review and come back. Or don’t, suit yourself.

You criticise opinion yet come out with ‘your’ truth as opposed to ‘actual’ truth.

You may need to review and come back. Or don’t, suit yourself.
No, I asked you what are the facts? You and I and everyone posting in this thread know what the facts are. Obviously some on here don't want to deal with the facts. So we have this thread which has deviated so far from the facts and into this farce.

No, I asked you what are the facts? You and I and everyone posting in this thread know what the facts are. Obviously some on here don't want to deal with the facts. So we have this thread which has deviated so far from the facts and into this farce.

People are being intentionally dense. Don't want to face the truth head on as that will hurt.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've tried VRS(Tier 2) before on 3DMark and Wolfenstein Youngblood, but I wanted to take a look at it in Gears Tactics and get some better screens and footage. VRS(Tier 2) provides a 7% peformance boost at 'On'(Quality) setting, and 16% at 'Performance' setting.

After looking at the screens and the footage I'd say that there's not much downside to using the 'On'(Quality) preset. 'Performance' setting would be a no-go, imo. In the quality mode it gives better definition to certain edges, and on many objects a perceived higher res look compared to not using it(thanks to less DRS drops). Downside seems to be emissives, like smoldering fire or lights on characters and npcs armor.

Xbox Series S|X may as well enable it as it can prevent resolution drops from not meeting DRS frame rate target.
Used 4K resolution with DRS enabled with 60fps target. This allows the game to scale the res to the max possible while still hitting 60fps target I took 2 sets of screens: one set with equal overclock on the GPU, this is how you can test DLSS in DOOM Eternal to see tradeoffs at a certain fps target. Then another with stock clocks vs overclock to see if a slightly more powerful system can use VRS(Performance) in tandem with higher DRS results to make better looking image.

VRS 'OFF':
Gears-Tactics-4k-DRS60fps-VRS-OFF.jpg

VRS 'On':
Gears-Tactics-4k-DRS60fps-VRS-ON.jpg

---
Stock(VRS 'Off') vs OC (VRS 'Performance'):

VRS 'OFF'(Stock):
1-VRS-OFF-Stock.jpg

VRS 'Performance'(oc):
2-VRS-PERF-OC.jpg
Lastly a 4K video comparing VRS 'OFF'(on the left side) vs VRS 'ON'(on the right side). First at regular speed and zoom, then at 50% speed and 150% zoom.

Last edited:

Neo_game

My guess is because this is still being dropped on top of last gen code.

They aren't rebuilding these games from the ground up for current gen consoles. Just applying stuff to the base that's already there.

XSX has a 29% resolution advantage in the worst case scenario in the 120 fps mode. 23% in worst case scenario in 60 fps balanced mode. and 14% in RT mode.

The difference IMO is much lower than expected because according to tomsharware 33% more BW is giving some 20+% more fps in 1440P and more than 50% fps in 4K. Comparing 5600XT 6gb 192 bit with 5700 8gb 256bit. Where as on consoles it is dynamic and only in 120fps the upper and lower bond seems to maintain 29% according to vgtech. 120 fps with lower res, settings it less gpu, BW bound than in higher resolution with higher settings. Let's say the avg is 20% in 60fps mode. So is BW even contributing to 10% here, Compute and VRS together should be 10% at least ?

Depends what you mean by fine. The specifications won't increase so that could be a problem for some developers that want to incorporate all features in their games. Most people won't miss out on things like RT but some will. Really depends if the lower price is worth missing out on some features for them.
Who would buy an XSS and expect the same graphics as the XSX? Specifications for consoles don't increase anyway so what features would developers have a problem implementing? Are you talking about graphical features like RT or are you talking about system features like VA and SFS? Graphics are the #1 thing the XSS will have compromises on and anyone buying the platform has to know that especially since it is $200 less than the XSX. That extra money can go towards games and that should be the focus anyway.

SlimySnake

The difference IMO is much lower than expected because according to tomsharware 33% more BW is giving some 20+% more fps in 1440P and more than 50% fps in 4K. Comparing 5600XT 6gb 192 bit with 5700 8gb 256bit. Where as on consoles it is dynamic and only in 120fps the upper and lower bond seems to maintain 29% according to vgtech. 120 fps with lower res, settings it less gpu, BW bound than in higher resolution with higher settings. Let's say the avg is 20% in 60fps mode. So is BW even contributing to 10% here, Compute and VRS together should be 10% at least ?
I wouldnt look too much into the bandwidth. A lot of the more recent GPUs offer better performance on higher resolutions.

I think 29% and 23% in the non-RT modes are way above what was expected given the 18% difference in tflops.
The 14% is lower than what was expected, and this is one mode where I think the memory bandwidth might be making the difference because RT is very bandwidth intensive according to Cerny.

The other modes were designed to run on the 176 GBps VRAM of the PS4 and the ESRAM of the X1. They ran just fine on the PS4 Pro at 1440p 60 fps despite having access to just 226 GBps of bandwidth and 5.5 GB of vram. I think the drops in resolution suggest that the GPU isnt able to keep up.

Plantoid

This vrs thing will be in every thread till PS5 pro launches with full rdna2 support and vrr/vrs

If my console doesn't support this, this is shit and a "bad feature"

In the video they state that the game runs flawlessly on both consoles and it has higher resolution on the Xbox side.

Neo_game

I wouldnt look too much into the bandwidth. A lot of the more recent GPUs offer better performance on higher resolutions.

I think 29% and 23% in the non-RT modes are way above what was expected given the 18% difference in tflops.
The 14% is lower than what was expected, and this is one mode where I think the memory bandwidth might be making the difference because RT is very bandwidth intensive according to Cerny.

The other modes were designed to run on the 176 GBps VRAM of the PS4 and the ESRAM of the X1. They ran just fine on the PS4 Pro at 1440p 60 fps despite having access to just 226 GBps of bandwidth and 5.5 GB of vram. I think the drops in resolution suggest that the GPU isnt able to keep up.

I was also surprised by the difference in 120fps mode. But the other modes are dynamic so we cannot be sure. NXgamer said it varies from 10-20%. DF said PS5 drops more than the SX. Vgtech number I think is the lowest he could find. So probably it is around 15-20% with 120fps mode only being the exception. It will be very surprising if GGDR6 14ghz is not being utilized. PS4 and Pro memory were running at 5.5ghz and approx 6.8ghz.

ITs good that this game runs well on all platforms and better on series x. Im just reminding people that bethesda is bow a microsoft studio and spencer pledged that all bethesda games must look and play better on xbox so i beg people to stop acting surprised that this game does. Bethesda probably didnt want ps5 to perfrom similar to series x.

Because nobody could compare with the same exact game without VRS. We only know VRS true effect on the whole game because of the VRS less PS5 version.

And we never got proper comparison by MS about their tech. Only one side of the story with a few selected comparison pics. Never a whole game.

Just so you know... Variable Rate Shading is only going to get even better, as there are already clear pieces of evidence in the upcoming Shader Models from Microsoft that specifically offer enhanced Variable Rate Shading, which the Series X supports. So what you're seeing currently, which already looks amazing, and looks better than what's present on PS5 according to Digital Foundry is only going to get better.

You're talking about not being able to compare with this or that, but just go have a look at Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC, and you will see one of the most amazing looking games on next gen consoles. Talking about something you would never notice during gameplay or without a 400x zoom scrutinizing every minor detail is a very desperate gambit. Let's have a look at their next gen release on Series X and see what their game looks like then. Should be a fun one I'm sure.

Hoddi

This vrs thing will be in every thread till PS5 pro launches with full rdna2 support and vrr/vrs

If my console doesn't support this, this is shit and a "bad feature"

In the video they state that the game runs flawlessly on both consoles and it has higher resolution on the Xbox side.
Funny thing is that VRS isn't some amazing feature. It's just a means of squeezing out a bit more performance by shading things at lower res where people shouldn't notice the difference. It's a nice-to-have feature but it also isn't anything more than that.

People get stuck on the weirdest things.

Topher

Gold Member
Funny thing is that VRS isn't some amazing feature. It's just a means of squeezing out a bit more performance by shading things at lower res where people shouldn't notice the difference. It's a nice-to-have feature but it also isn't anything more than that.

People get stuck on the weirdest things.

One fanboy's amazing feature is another fanboy's secret sauce....a bit crazy, ain't it? I gave up trying to figure this shit out. The games look damn near identical this gen.

Top Bottom